BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Adam X

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1326 Post by Adam X » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 am

I just noticed this text at the bottom of the page listing the BFI's Spring 2019 titles. I suppose it was only a matter of time...
Beginning with these spring titles, our new releases will only include a booklet in the first pressing.

kubelkind

#1327 Post by kubelkind » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:46 pm

moriam wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 am
It looks like the National Library of Scotland still has copies of the Margaret Tait dvd for sale at for £10 (PayPal accepted):
Thanks for the tip! ordered. Cheaper than it ever was from Lux!

senseabove

#1328 Post by senseabove » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm

An incidental praise as I've finally started picking through the Clarke set, but I wish other labels would imitate the BFI and include information like runtime and a short description of special features in their accompanying books and booklets:

It's especially useful information for massive box sets like this, but it's valuable even for single discs, since I tend to graze on special features of recent watches for a while after, rather than watching them all immediately after the movie.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1329 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 pm

On the other hand, you can forget finding a detailed disc content without the books.

MichaelB

#1330 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:00 pm

This isn't an issue with the Alan Clarke box, but now that the BFI has adopted the "first pressing only" rule for booklets, there's a clear downside!

But space is always at a premium on the reverse of the sleeve - Indicator manages to fit more in (including dates and running times for all extras, plus a brief description), but they've created this extra space by not including a descriptive blurb for the main feature, which some people have complained about (although such a description is easy enough to find on the Powerhouse website).

senseabove

#1331 Post by senseabove » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 pm
On the other hand, you can forget finding a detailed disc content without the books.
Better to have [had a book] and lost [or lost out] than never to have [had a book] at all?

The Pachyderminator

#1332 Post by The Pachyderminator » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm

What's the reason for excluding booklets from subsequent pressings? Surely the cost of printing more booklets is trivial compared to the cost of pressing another batch of discs?

MichaelB

#1333 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 pm

The Pachyderminator wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm
What's the reason for excluding booklets from subsequent pressings? Surely the cost of printing more booklets is trivial compared to the cost of pressing another batch of discs?
The costs aren't trivial... and that's the reason.

Would you prefer them to leave the discs out? ;)

The Pachyderminator

#1334 Post by The Pachyderminator » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 pm
The costs aren't trivial... and that's the reason.

Would you prefer them to leave the discs out? ;)
Certainly, the film is better than glossy paper with commentary on the film, if I can only have one! I guess my intuitions are wrong about the relative costs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1335 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:00 pm
This isn't an issue with the Alan Clarke box, but now that the BFI has adopted the "first pressing only" rule for booklets, there's a clear downside!
But space is always at a premium on the reverse of the sleeve
If I'm not mistaken, the Alan Clarke and Derek Jarman's sets have minimalist individual sleeve designs, so space is pretty much available at least there. I understand not doing so on the belly band (for, indeed, a lack of space) and wanting to keep a minimalist box design, but I'd suppose one could at least try and give some details about the disc split on the back of the individual sleeves.
However, in these cases, I suppose the book is always included and when it goes OOP, the whole thing goes OOP, but I find it more practical to be able to have a quick look at each disc content through the sleeve than having to find it within the 200 pages book.

It's a very minor complaint though, but I don't know any other label I own releases from that don't at least sum up the extra contents on the sleeve somewhere.
MichaelB wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:00 pm
which some people have complained about (although such a description is easy enough to find on the Powerhouse website).
I've had the issue myself with the miss : I usually build up a pile of "have a look at these if you can find one you want to watch tonight", and without any description or synopsis, it makes it a bit less direct to do so !

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1336 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:20 pm

After Netflix spoiled the end of Little Murders in the summary on their disc sleeve well over a decade ago, I rarely read them for films I haven’t seen. And it absolutely drives me bonkers when labels don’t list something as basic as running times

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1337 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm

hearthesilence

#1338 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Nice! Probably the best deal one can get on Distant Voices, Still Lives and The Glass Shield.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1339 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

There are also a few great deals for more expensive releases in the next pricing tier up (Ken Russell collections, Blood of Hussain, British Transport collections, Rossellini/Bergman)

What A Disgrace

#1340 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Is the Kore-eda box the only July title?

MichaelB

#1341 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am

Q4 announcement:
14 October
The autumn slate is kicked off with the 39th release in the BFI Flipside strand, that revisits and reappraises British films that have slipped through the cracks of cinema history. Combining two ‘far out’ films in a Dual Format Edition – exploitation director Derek Ford’s Secret Rites (1971) and Malcolm Leigh’s Legend of the Witches (1970) – this release brings both titles to Blu-ray for the first time. The packaging will feature artwork by renowned illustrator Graham Humphreys and the set will be launched with a special Halloween event at BFI Southbank

BFI Musicals! – October and November
Coinciding with BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen, the UK’s greatest ever season celebrating the film musical, will be the release of Miloš Forman’s 1979 anti-war musical Hair, celebrating its 40th Anniversary with a UK Blu-ray premiere on 28 October

Other musicals coming out on BFI Blu-ray as part of the season are:
Jacques Demy’s ground-breaking Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (1967) on 4 November
Barbra Streisand’s 1983 directorial debut Yentl on 18 November – the first UK Blu-ray release of the film

4 November
Following screenings in cinemas across the UK throughout the summer, Varda by Agnès (2019) will receive a Dual Format Edition release. The final film by iconic director Agnès Varda is a documentary that offers a personal insight into her life’s work, using excerpts from her many films to illustrate her unique artistic vision and ideas

18 November
John Huston’s acclaimed Toulouse-Lautrec biopic Moulin Rouge (1952) receives its Blu-ray premiere. This new 4K restoration, which premiered in the Cannes Classics strand at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, brings stunning new life to the film’s exquisite production design and Technicolor photography, which brilliantly evoke Lautrec’s unique vision of Montmartre, Paris

2 December
Paul Verhoeven’s breakout hit Spetters (1980) will be released on Blu-ray. Newly restored and available in High Definition for the first time in the UK, the film – a controversial tale of lust, desire and motocross – helped launch Verhoeven’s international career and that of its stars, including a pre-Blade Runner Rutger Hauer

Betrayed (1988): Costa-Gavras’s edge of your seat thriller sees an FBI agent infiltrates a dangerous white supremacist movement connected to a brutal murder. Starring Debra Winger and Tom Berenger and from the writer of Basic Instinct and Jagged Edge, Joe Eszterhas, the film will be released by the BFI on Blu-ray.

And finally, also to be released before the end of the year is Michael Caton-Jones’s Scandal (1989), an acclaimed interpretation of the Profumo scandal starring Joanne Whalley and John Hurt. With a new 4K remaster, it will be presented in a Dual Format Edition giving it a debut Blu-ray release for its 30th Anniversary.

L.A.

#1343 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am

The Guardian has an article about the film and it’s star Betty Balfour.

L.A.

#1344 Post by L.A. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am

Calvin

#1345 Post by Calvin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:46 pm

The programme highlights for 2020 have been unveiled. On the home video front, new announcements are for Mark Cousins' Women Make Film (alongside a theatrical season of related films, though it doesn't say if any of these will also be released), Jessica Hausner's Little Joe and Best of Play for Today Vol. 1. Also promised are releases to tie-in with a five-month long celebration of Japanese cinema and a Kiarostami retrospective.

JAP

#1346 Post by JAP » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:53 am

Spring 2020 Blu-ray and DVD releases announcement

Lowry_Sam

#1347 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Since no one has mentioned it, the Pet Shop Boys' film has been finally digitized (and in 4k). BFI will be releasing It Couldn't Happen Here in June.

dustybooks

#1348 Post by dustybooks » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 pm
Since no one has mentioned it, the Pet Shop Boys' film has been finally digitized (and in 4k). BFI will be releasing It Couldn't Happen Here in June.
I've been listening to PSB for most of my life and have never managed to see this apart from the clips in the "Always on My Mind" video. I'm surprised to see BFI take an interest in it, as based on how completely it was buried I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort. It did come into existence rather alarmingly early in the group's career. But I'm a pretty dedicated fan and so this will be an easy purchase for me; I'm extremely curious about it. Slightly sad that Neil and Chris won't be doing a commentary, though, as their lengthy track for the music video collection PopArt is one of the funniest and most engaging I've ever heard.

Lowry_Sam

#1349 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm

dustybooks wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm
I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort.
This pretty much sums up my memory of it. I rented the VHS tape from a local shop (which I was completely surprised to see actually had it). I remember it being pretty random, with the duo traveling around with an older gent to various locales & the occasional breaking out into song. I seem to recall the videos for the first album were completely redone. At the time, it didn't work for me very well as a film, only the individual music video parts of it were most interesting & since I couldn't see myself ffwd'ing a vhs tape to select the music video portions of it, I decided not to actually buy it & haven't seen it since.

MichaelB

#1350 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:00 am

dustybooks wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm
I'm surprised to see BFI take an interest in it, as based on how completely it was buried I always assumed it was a failed experiment of some sort.
Perhaps less surprising when you consider that they've already released several films by Jack Bond and have a good working relationship with him. But Bond has form in burying his films for decades - it was pretty much impossible to see the likes of Separation, The Other Side of the Underneath (which he produced) and Anti-Clock between their last public screening in 1983 and the BFI's restorations a decade ago.