BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1301 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 am

Announcements for Q1 2017

January:

EL SUR (Dual Format Edition)
THE GLASS SHIELD (Dual Format Edition)
CHARLIE CHAPLIN: THE ESSANAY COMEDIES (Blu-ray)
CHARLIE CHAPLIN: THE ESSANAY COMEDIES (DVD)

February:

THE CRYING GAME (Dual Format Edition)
THE SPRING RIVER FLOWS EAST (DVD)
FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN WHITE MASK (Dual Format Edition)

March:

LINO BROCKA: TWO FILMS [MANILA IN THE CLAWS OF LIGHT + INSIANG] (Limited Dual Format Edition)
ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE (DVD)
WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR? (DVD)

TBC Q1/Q2 2017:

THE WAGES OF FEAR (Limited Dual Format Edition)

Update: both Scorsese titles now DVD-only, unfortunately.
Last edited by rapta on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thirtyframesasecond

#1302 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:34 pm

I hope Black Skin White Mask doesn't get delayed any further; been waiting years for this.

Cronenfly

#1303 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 am

And I hope this means Criterion will attend to After Hours ahead of Alice or Who's That Knocking, if they intend to release any Warner Scorsese, that is.

MichaelB

#1304 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm

The BFI has just announced its April releases:
17 April sees the first ever DVD and Blu-ray release of Imperial War Museum’s German Concentration Camps Factual Survey.

This hugely important film documents the liberation of Belsen and other concentration camps by Allied forces in Spring 1945. The production was originally shelved by the Ministry of Information in 1945, before being restored and reconstructed by IWM in 2014. The story of this extraordinary documentary was itself the subject of the Emmy-winning film Night Will Fall (which was released by the BFI in 2014). This Special Archival Edition has been produced in collaboration with IWM and contains the museum’s restoration, plus substantial extra features and some previously unseen footage that help to contextualise the film; a perfect-bound book, and commentary.

Out on 24 April will be the first ever Blu-ray release of the celebrated, low-budget, British movie Letter to Brezhnev.

Set in 1980s Liverpool, it tells the tale of two local women who meet a couple of Russian sailors on a night out. Made by writer Frank Clarke and director Chris Bernard, this newly remastered comedy is an evocative portrait of Thatcher-era Britain with a wonderful cast including Margi Clarke, Alexandra Pigg, Peter Firth and Alfred Molina. The Dual Format Edition will feature a making-of documentary, new filmed interviews with actors Alexandra Pigg and Peter Firth, three audio commentaries featuring Alexandra Pigg, Margi Clarke and Chris Bernard, and a fully illustrated booklet that will include a new essay by Frank Clarke.

We also make available, on 24 April, two silent rediscoveries that have recently premiered at the BFI London Film Festival:

The Informer is one of the finest British films of the silent era. This new restoration by the BFI National Archive includes a new score by violist/composer Garth Knox. This Dual Format Edition also includes the sound version that was made alongside the silent version in 1929.

The Goddess (DVD) is an iconic silent classic from China, featuring a devastating performance from one of the most famous Chinese actresses of the period, Ruan Lingyu. This will be the first time the film has been made available in the UK.

foggy eyes

#1305 Post by foggy eyes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but just wondering where UK-based people are pre-ordering/buying their BFI releases these days? Amazon has pre-orders at pretty high prices, for instance German Concentration Camps Factual Survey is currently £29, the Brockas are £28, Letter to Brezhnev is £20. Pre-orders used to be more competitively priced than this, but maybe my memory is quite long here and perhaps much has changed while I've not been paying attention. Any advice/ideas would be appreciated, thanks :)

rapta

#1306 Post by rapta » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Some upcoming BFI titles, according to BBFC submissions and various screenings/press releases:

J'ACCUSE (Abel Gance, 1938)
PEPPERMINT SODA (Diane Kurys, 1977)
HOWARD'S END (James Ivory, 1992)
MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE (Stephen Frears, 1985)

What A Disgrace

#1307 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Once again, it pays to not buy titles from Olive Films.

Ribs

#1308 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Huh, I was really expecting MoC to pick up the Cohen Merchant Ivory titles. Will be interesting to see if they'll all end up at the BFI or if it will split among the UK labels.

GaryC

#1309 Post by GaryC » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 am

Another recent BBFC submission is the 49-minute short The Orchard End Murder, though no announcement yet as to whether that's a main feature (presumably as a Flipside release) or an extra.

What A Disgrace

#1310 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm

J'Accuse, Peppermint Soda and Orchard End Murders are all being prepped for pre-order on Amazon UK, with a list of specs and everything. Orchard End Murders will be part of the Flipside label.

Stefan Andersson

#1311 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 am

Any chance of a BFI DVD release of Richard Eyre´s and Trevor Griffiths´ Country (1981)?

BFI Southbank screened it recently:
http://www.illuminationsmedia.co.uk/cou ... sterpiece/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rapta

#1312 Post by rapta » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Somebody at Blu-ray.com pointed out that BFI are releasing a new 2K restoration of Pandora's Box theatrically in June, which almost certainly will lead to a Blu-ray release shortly afterwards, which is incredible news. Been hoping for this one for years, and had assumed MoC would be the ones to bring it here, but I guess other labels are taking an interest in Pabst in HD*.

*Arrow Academy's forthcoming release of L'Atlantide has unfortunately been delayed - pretty much indefinitely - but hopefully will still arrive later this year. Fingers crossed...

TMDaines

#1313 Post by TMDaines » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 am

Interesting regarding the Pabst considering it has just toured the UK on 35mm with live music by Stephen Horne and introductions/Q&As with Pamela Hutchinson who wrote the recent BFI Film Classics book.

rapta

#1314 Post by rapta » Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 am

The current line-up for June, July, August and September has been updated:

WOODFALL: A REVOLUTION IN BRITISH CINEMA [Blu-ray Edition] - June 11th
WOODFALL: A REVOLUTION IN BRITISH CINEMA [DVD Edition] - June 11th
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR [Dual Format Edition] - June 18th
THE KNACK... AND HOW TO GET IT [Dual Format Edition] - June 18th
JUBILEE [Dual Format Edition] - June 18th

LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE [Blu-ray Edition] - July 23rd
THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS [Dual Format Edition] - July 23rd
IT HAPPENED HERE [Dual Format Edition] - July 23rd

SEPARATE TABLES [Dual Format Edition] - August 20th
TOM JONES [2-Disc Blu-ray Edition] - August 20th
ARCADIA [DVD Edition] - August 20th

EYE OF THE NEEDLE [Dual Format Edition] - September 24th

I'm sure a couple will be added soon (probably for September) but I'm already very keen on the Schrader and Marquand in particular. I saw the Schrader for the first time recently, on Netflix, and quite enjoyed it. And of course I'm going to try and get the Cocteau ASAP too...been a long time coming, that one.

PS: apparently BFI have emphatically said they do not have plans for Pandora's Box, so perhaps that one still might come from MoC. Eureka did say they have quite a big title for #200 so this may well be it...

What A Disgrace

#1315 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am

Isn't it about time for another batch of release announcements? October's releases were announced over a month ago.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1316 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 am

Cocteau's Orphée has recently been classified by the BBFC for the BFI.
Also : Colin Higgins' Nine to Five.

zedz

#1317 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm

You can vote for your favourite BFI releases of the year (and a whole lot more) in the Criterion Forum BAFTAS: here.

What A Disgrace

#1318 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am

I don't think its fair to vote for one's favorite BFI releases when they haven't even announced November or December's releases.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1319 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

That's why you can't start voting until December 18th

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1320 Post by tenia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:48 am

In all fairness, I could already pick some BFI "best of 2018" releases that could very likely remain as such even with newer announcements. The Jarman set is top notch and I'm likely to include Distant Lives Still Voices somewhere anyway, but who would know if I made up my mind already or if I waited to know the Nov and Dec releases ?
But outside of when you can vote, I'd expect people to be thoughtful about this element, and not to get too stuck on what they know already, giving some space for whatever the BFI might do in Nov and Dec, just in case. I'm already preparing these lists (because it's going to take more time this year), but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

rapta

#1321 Post by rapta » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am
I don't think its fair to vote for one's favorite BFI releases when they haven't even announced November or December's releases.
They kinda already have I think. Red, White and Zero (Flipside 036) and separate editions of Look Back in Anger and The Entertainer showing on their web store, all for December releases. Guess they might announce one or two more though - by announce I mean show up on Amazon or their own site.

MichaelB

#1322 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm

This is the BFI’s Blu-ray/DVD line-up for January – March 2019.

JANUARY 21
PINTER AT THE BBC is a new 4-DVD set featuring 10 BBC adaptations of the great British playwright’s work, spanning the period 1965-1988. Many of these have not previously been available in any home entertainment format. Highlights include 1987’s The Birthday Party starring Julie Walters and Joan Plowright.
ROGUE MALE is the 1976 BBC adaptation of Geoffrey Household’s much-loved novel. A thrilling tale of a man on the run, set on the brink of the outbreak of World War II, it stars the legendary Peter O’Toole and is directed by Clive Donner (Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush). Coincidentally it also features Harold Pinter in a small role. Rogue Male will be released in a Dual Format Edition.
ORPHÉE, Jean Cocteau’s 1950 masterpiece, comes to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK in a 2K restoration from the original camera negatives, following its current theatrical release.

FEBRUARY 25
JARMAN VOLUME TWO 1986-1994. While the extensive content of this Blu-ray-only box set is not quite finalised yet, it will feature UK High Definition premiers of The Last of England, War Requiem, Wittgenstein, The Garden and Blue. As with Volume One, it will be packed with rare archive materials.
MAURICE (1988): This superb new restoration of the landmark Merchant Ivory adaptation of E.M. Forster’s novel was re-released in cinemas this summer, introducing a new generation of filmgoers to a powerful romance starring James Wilby, Hugh Grant and Rupert Graves. It will available as a separate Blu-ray or DVD set.
MIFUNE: THE LAST SAMURAI (2016): Toshiro Mifune, one of the acting legends of Japanese cinema (and star of Seven Samurai, the BFI’s best-selling DVD of all-time) is celebrated in this feature-length documentary directed by Steven Okazaki and narrated by Keanu Reeves.
BFI FLIPSIDE – STRANGER IN THE HOUSE (aka Cop-Out), a 1967 crime film about the generation gap, starring James Mason, Geraldine Chaplin and US rock’n’roller Bobby Darin, is the next addition to the strand that rescues weird and wonderful British films from obscurity and presents them in new high quality editions on DVD and Blu-ray.

MARCH 18
BERGMAN – A YEAR IN A LIFE: After a theatrical run in January 2019, Jane Magnusson’s revealing new documentary that shows the darker, less well-known side of the great director will be released on DVD. In addition, there will be a limited edition Blu-ray box set featuring both the theatrical cut and the 4-part TV mini-series, which will be a must-buy for all serious fans of Ingmar Bergman.
MR TOPAZE: After being unavailable for many years, Peter Sellers’ directorial debut from 1961 will receive a Dual Format Edition release.
SEBASTIANE, Derek Jarman’s debut feature film from 1976, will be released as a stand-alone Blu-ray.

The packshots can be seen in the BFI website news story here.

Calvin

#1323 Post by Calvin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 am

The other centenary today is that of Margaret Tait and the BFI's new 2K restoration of her only feature film, Blue Black Permanent, is on limited theatrical release. Has anybody heard anything about a Blu-Ray release? I'll be surprised if the BFI doesn't give it one, but I would very much like to see it.

kubelkind

#1324 Post by kubelkind » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Lux did a very nice DVD of Margaret Tait's short films a few years ago - its now long out of print and expensive. Would be nice if they or BFI or someone upgraded that to blu. The films are fantastic.

moriam

#1325 Post by moriam » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 am

It looks like the National Library of Scotland still has copies of the Margaret Tait dvd for sale at for £10 (PayPal accepted):

https://shop.nls.uk/movingimage/

I ordered it from them two years ago and received the Lux release (pressed disc in clear keepcase). For £10 I thought I might be getting a dvdr copy, was pleasantly surprised that it was the regular release.