Nil by Mouth

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Nil by Mouth

#1 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:19 am

From a BFI press release:
NIL BY MOUTH (1997) – Blu-ray World Premiere, September 16

The Blu-ray World Premiere of NIL BY MOUTH (1997), Gary Oldman's directorial debut, is a disturbing portrait of a dysfunctional South London family, starring Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke.

Zot!

Re: Nil By Mouth

#2 Post by Zot! » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:22 pm

I think "harrowing" is a fair assessment.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm

I only know this as the film that once held the record for most swears (which has since been broken a few times)

colinr0380

Re: Nil by Mouth

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Its a great film (NSFW: Language) with a fantastic performance by Kathy Burke (better known for her BBC comedies at the time) in particular.

It might just be because both films feature career best performances from Ray Winstone and both are directed by actors but I would love to see the similarly harrowing The War Zone get some more attention too.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Both films are also conscious tributes to Alan Clarke, who got career-best performances out of them in Made in Britain (Roth’s first!) and The Firm.

And I believe an early association with Clarke didn’t exactly hurt Ray Winstone either.

jazzo

#6 Post by jazzo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm
Its a great film (NSFW: Language) with a fantastic performance by Kathy Burke (better known for her BBC comedies at the time) in particular.

It might just be because both films feature career best performances from Ray Winstone and both are directed by actors but I would love to see the similarly harrowing The War Zone get some more attention too.
Better than Crystal Skull?

Easy joke. Sorry.

Both performances are astonishing, although Sexy Beast has to fall somewhere in there.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm
I only know this as the film that once held the record for most swears (which has since been broken a few times)
I believe it was specifically the record holder for the word "fuck" until the Wolf of Wall Street, discounting that documentary on the word "fuck," which I think is cheating to count!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:05 pm

But then apparently the Trailer Park Boys movie Swearnet beat them both

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 pm

I got about fifty seconds into a YouTube compilation of Swearnet's "Best Parts," and I'm now pro-censorship

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm

I suppose the South Park movie would be in the running too, although that varied its swear words up a bit! (NSFW: Language)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 pm

That’s only a list of films using the word “fuck”, but I’d be pretty staggered if Nil by Mouth didn’t score very highly indeed when it comes to films using the word “cunt”. I’m struggling to think of an obvious challenger.

McCrutchy

#13 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:15 pm

This is excellent news. I always wanted to see this film, but I was put off by the lack of a film-speed version with the original 5.1 audio. The UK DVD has 5.1, but I'm quite sensitive to PAL speed-up with English-language films, while the US DVD from Sony was another of their bizarre Dolby Surround-only jobs like The City of Lost Children, even though the film was released in Dolby Digital and Sony's 8-channel SDDS system theatrically. And I looked into a Japanese DVD, only to find that the DVD (and the film?) is heavily cut in Japan by about nine minutes (!), also has only 2.0 audio, and apparently never got a second pressing, so it is far out-of-print, anyway.

I hope Oldman is involved with the Blu-ray and that Winstone and Burke are involved in the extras. As I recall, neither the UK or US DVDs had any real extras, other than perhaps a trailer.

EDIT: Just saw that we'll have to wait for September...goodness me!

colinr0380

#14 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:11 am

One great thing I remember seeing at the time was a segment of Channel 4's very short lived single season attempt at doing a serious film show Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 1998 (which has pretty much fallen into obscurity now and has an almost un-Google-able for information title that inevitably only brings up the Robert Downey Jr film), which instead of just interviewing Kathy Burke about Nil By Mouth instead took her to the cinema to review Hal Hartley's then latest film, Henry Fool. I seem to recall that she was a big fan of the filmmaker!

M Sanderson

#15 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:30 am

What happened to this release?

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 am

Still happening, as far as I'm aware, but I gather it was announced prematurely.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:Both films are also conscious tributes to Alan Clarke, who got career-best performances out of them in Made in Britain (Roth’s first!) and The Firm.

And I believe an early association with Clarke didn’t exactly hurt Ray Winstone either.
Yes, of all the major directors Oldman and Roth had worked with, Clarke is the one they emulate. I’d love to see The War Zone rescued. A beautifully bleak film.
Last edited by zedz on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Thought that was gonna be a link to the documentary on the word “fuck”!

MichaelB

Nil by Mouth

#20 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:26 am

South Bank Shows are pretty much impossible to licence these days. Believe me, I’ve tried.

From what I gather, although they’ve licensed them in the past, ITV’s policy now is that they’re too much hassle (since they insist on doing all relevant rights clearance at their end) for too little reward (since the fee as a mere BD extra isn’t going to amount to very much).

This is why Arrow’s Taviani Brothers box lacks the SBS on the making of Kaos (despite me getting its original producer/director firmly on my side), and why Indicator’s Scum is similarly bereft.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#21 Post by cdnchris » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 am

Criterion seems to licence them left and right, with Local Hero being the most recent. Are they doing it in bulk making it more worthwhile or are they just ponying up more money? I always find them invaluable so it's a real shame not to get them on other titles.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

It could be the by-product of an older deal struck before the recent change of policy. Either that or they are indeed spending much more money.

But I don’t recall a UK boutique label managing to get hold of a South Bank Show since the BFI’s Werner Herzog box.

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:29 pm

Full specs announced:
NIL BY MOUTH
A film by Gary Oldman
Ray Winstone, Kathy Burke, Charlie Creed-Miles

25th Anniversary 4K remaster by the BFI National Archive

BFI Limited Edition 2-disc Blu-ray, iTunes and Amazon Prime release on 5 December 2022

See the new trailer here.

In honour of its 25th Anniversary this year, the BFI National Archive remastered Gary Oldman’s directorial debut, NIL BY MOUTH (1987) in 4K. Following its world premiere at the 66th BFI London Film Festival, NIL BY MOUTH was released in cinemas and on BFI Player at the beginning of November. On 5 December it comes to Blu-ray, released in a Limited Edition 2-disc set. Gary Oldman himself contributed to the special features and worked closely with the BFI on this release. A retrospective season of his films is currently taking place at BFI Southbank, running until 29 November.

An uncompromising, double-Bafta winning portrait of a particular milieu of working-class family life in southeast London, where its writer and director grew up, NIL BY MOUTH is a powerful, astute, authentically foul-mouthed account of unfettered machismo, booze and drugs, petty crime and domestic abuse.

The performances are mesmerising throughout, with Ray Winstone as the volatile and self-pitying Ray, Kathy Burke (who won Best Actress at Cannes) as his longsuffering wife Val and Charlie Creed-Miles as her junkie brother Billy. Shot and scripted in a deceptively casual realist style reminiscent of John Cassavetes, this profoundly personal and humane film eschews sensationalism and sentimentality to illuminate a vicious circle of abuse and criminality. A dark but dazzling masterwork.

Special features
• Newly remastered in 4K by the BFI National Archive and approved by writer-director Gary Oldman
• Audio commentary by Gary Oldman and Douglas Urbanski
Setting The Record Straight (2022, 51 mins): Gary Oldman in conversation with film critic Geoff Andrew
A Slice of Life (2022, 22 mins): Ray Winstone looks back on his Bafta-nominated performance
Talent is Worth Trusting: Douglas Urbanski on Nil by Mouth (2022, 16 mins): Gary Oldman’s long-time collaborator and the producer of Nil by Mouth discusses how the film came to be made
Fearing the Worst: Charlie Creed-Miles on Nil by Mouth (2022, 28 mins): the actor discusses his role as Billy, from his audition to some of the key scenes in the film
People Were Queuing For Any Role (2022, 16 mins): casting director Sue Jones recalls her work on the film
Mother (1994, 7 mins): the only surviving footage recorded by Gary Oldman for an unrealised documentary about his mother’s life and experiences
• Deleted scenes (1997, 38 mins): a series of deleted scenes selected by Gary Oldman
• Galleries – a selection of stills and rare production materials from Gary Oldman’s personal archive
Children (1976, 46 mins): written while still a student, Terence Davies’ film has an uncompromising honesty that is echoed in Nil by Mouth
• Trailer (2022)
• ***First pressing only*** 80-page book featuring new writing by Douglas Urbanski, Kat Ellinger, Philip Kemp, and Jason Wood, plus archive pieces from Time Out and Sight & Sound. Also includes contributions from Lou Thomas and Gary Oldman, and never-before-seen original storyboards from the film

Product details
RRP: £24.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1347 / 18
UK / 1997 / colour / 128 mins / English language, with optional subtitles for the Deaf and partial hearing, and audio description original aspect ratio 1.66:1 // Disc 1: BD50, 1080p, 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) // Disc 2: BD50, 1080p, 24fps, Dolby Digital stereo audio (48kHz/16-bit)

jazzo

#24 Post by jazzo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:11 pm

This set looks spectacular. I see no mention of region coding. Is it, by any chance, region free?

Finch

#25 Post by Finch » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51 am

thorough DVDCompare review of the BluRay and film and links to 2022 interviews with Oldman