The Magic Flute

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

What A Disgrace

The Magic Flute

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 am

Ingmar Bergman's film being released as a dual format edition on Feb 26.

TMDaines

Re: The Magic Flute

#2 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am

Lovely. A world first, no?

tojoed

#3 Post by tojoed » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 pm

TMDaines wrote:Lovely. A world first, no?
I believe it is. "Lovely" is the right word. The best opera on film in my view.

ethel

#4 Post by ethel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:49 am

I’d give you equal first with THE TALES OF HOFFMANN (Powell & Pressburger) and DON GIOVANNI (Losey) [-(

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Full specs announced:
The Magic Flute
Directed by Ingmar Bergman
Music by Mozart

Dual Format Edition release on 23 April 2018

Mozart’s immortal opera The Magic Flute (Trollflöjten) is masterfully reworked for the screen by the great Ingmar Bergman in this sublime rendering of one of the composer’s best-loved works – a cheerful and charming operatic celebration of love, forgiveness and humanity. This marvellously melodic visual treat is now available for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK, released in a Dual Format Edition by the BFI on 23 April 2018, following its recent theatrical release.

A variety of special features include Lotte Reiniger’s enchanting silhouette-animation inspired by the opera.

The Magic Flute stars Josef Köstlinger as Tamino, a young man determined to rescue beautiful princess Pamina (Irma Urrila) from the clutches of parental evil, helped – or perhaps even hindered – by the roguish pipe player Papageno (Håkan Hagegård).

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
Papageno (1935, 11 mins): Lotte Reiniger’s enchanting silhouette-animation inspired by Mozart’s opera
In Mozart’s Footsteps (1938, 11 mins): fascinating post-Anschluss travelogue by roving aristocrat Lady Dunn
On Such a Night (1955, 37 mins): the colourful adventures of an American opera buff on his first visit to Glyndebourne, directed by Anthony Asquith
• Illustrated booklet with new writing by Sameer Rahim and Vic Pratt and full film credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1299 / Cert PG
Sweden / 1975 / colour / 137 mins / Swedish language, with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (320 kbps)

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Is this the HD debut of Anthony Asquith talkies?

rockysds

#7 Post by rockysds » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

No, Network have released The Importance of Being Earnest.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Uh

Big Ben

#9 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 01, 2018 11:09 pm

To say there's a discrepancy is an understatement but I truly am aghast at that. What happened?

jsteffe

#10 Post by jsteffe » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 am

This is just a guess, but the Criterion release appears to have been transferred from a different distribution version. Maybe that shot always had a different color timing compared to the Swedish version. It's not the first time something like has happened.

RobertB

#11 Post by RobertB » Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm

How annoying that I didn't watch it on Swedish television earlier this year. Maybe someone else did, or even better have an old recording from TV, and can give a more definitive answer. But my guess is that the BFI edition is as shown on Swedish TV. The film doesn't try to show opera as seen if you are in the audience. Bergman does a bit more. Possibly the US distributors didn't like the various extreme coloured scenes. It was the most expensive Swedish TV-movie ever, so it was important to sell it to other markets.

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:32 am

Lost Highway

#13 Post by Lost Highway » Sun May 13, 2018 4:53 am

I could imagine some scenes having originally had a blue filter applied, as much of the opera takes place at night, going with the realm of the Queen of the Night. I saw this once at the cinema when it came out and once or twice on TV since, but it’s too long ago to remember. Will definitely get this. My favourite opera and my favourite movie of an opera.

martin

#14 Post by martin » Mon May 14, 2018 3:17 am

RobertB wrote:How annoying that I didn't watch it on Swedish television earlier this year. Maybe someone else did, or even better have an old recording from TV, and can give a more definitive answer. But my guess is that the BFI edition is as shown on Swedish TV.
Exactly. Here's a screenshot from Swedish TV (DVDBeaver for comparison):

My screenshot is softer than what was shown on TV because it's from a heavily compressed mp4 file but the colours should be ok.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am

Has any of your copy its cover cut in a biased way ? My copy has it cut in such a way that the front cover ends up being much shorter in height than the back cover (the spine already shows it). It looks like the bottom wasn't cut straight, missing some bits at the bottom.
Nothing worrying, only funny, but I'm wondering if my cover is a one-off or if the whole batch is affected.