Man with a Movie Camera

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

EddieLarkin

Re: Man with a Movie Camera

#26 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 pm

swo17 wrote:Maybe the restoration doesn't synch up to the Nyman score?
They didn't need an excuse to drop the Nyman score altogether, but boy that would have definitely been it!

EddieLarkin

#27 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:13 pm

The BFI's trailer for their cinema release this month is sourced from the new restoration. On their booking page, they confirm they're using the new Lobster restoration and note they're showing it with the Alloy Orchestra score. Meaning that yes this is probably down to them feeling the Nyman score was more important than a vastly superior picture when it came to the Blu-ray, which is ridiculous. Surely they understand there is an expectation from any label that releases a new restoration in cinemas, that their timed Blu-ray release is from the same source?!

Personally I think they've really shot themselves in the foot here and have seriously risked their credibility. The next time they take part in a cross territory release, the Chaplin Essanay films for instance, I will be dreading a similar scenario. The best thing they can do is recall and get the score synced up to the new restoration, or drop it altogether. There's less than 45 seconds difference between the two masters so it surely can't be too hard, especially after the huge efforts they went to to sync the Carl Davis scores to the Chaplin Mutuals.

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:34 am

And it had been such a great year for the BFI until now.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#29 Post by Caligula » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:55 am

Just cancelled my pre-order. Flicker Alley will get my money, instead.

manicsounds

#30 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 am

With the BFI disc running 67 minutes and the Flicker Alley/Lobster running 67 minutes as well, I don't think the audio syncing is the issue.

EddieLarkin

#31 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:36 am

Whilst that's true, they still run at different times. 1:07:50.833 vs. 1:07:07.041 to be precise.

What A Disgrace

#32 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:33 am

I'm still keeping mine, but only for Tsivian's commentary and for The Sixth Side of the World.

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:40 am

Don't forget the new W.H. Auden subtitles on Three Songs of Lenin.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#34 Post by Drucker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:08 am

I asked BFI on Twitter why they didn't release the new restoration on BD, here was their reply:
Unfortunately, despite long negotiations to secure DVD and Blu-ray distribution of the new restoration, we were unsuccessful.
We have endeavoured to make our release as good as possible by including Michael Nyman’s celebrated score, ...
newly commissioned music on the included short films, and other special features that are unavailable on other editions.
Still disappointing, as I love supporting BFI over other labels, but very nice that they replied!

What A Disgrace

#35 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am

I wonder if anyone in the UK has picked up the new restoration.

It doesn't matter to me; I have the Flicker Alley and am buying the BFI one for the commentary and for The Sixth Side of the World. I can't be the only person who is more excited to be seeing the other Vertov films for the first time, than I am to see The Man With the Movie Camera again.

Dr Amicus

#36 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 am

But it does lead to the question that if the BFI haven't managed to get the rights did another UK distributor beat them to it? And if so, who?

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 pm

The French Blu-ray, does it not include the Russian intertitlrs? Only French intertitles?

RobertB

#39 Post by RobertB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm

manicsounds wrote:The French Blu-ray, does it not include the Russian intertitlrs? Only French intertitles?
The opening titles are French only (with English optional subtitles). The film does not have any intertitles.

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Although the MoC edition subtitles the vast majority of onscreen text. I'm not sure about the others.

RobertB

#41 Post by RobertB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm

The French disc also translated the onscreen texts. But in a light yellow font, so that will annoy some.

Minkin

#42 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 pm

This Youtube link is gone. Does anyone have any further information on it? Is it a newer restoration than what's been put out by Flicker Alley /BFI/MOC/etc? I've been holding off all of these editions - as I care most about this score, so if yet another edition is coming out with the Cinematic Orchestra score, that would be dandy (although its been 2 years and no info since).

manicsounds

#43 Post by manicsounds » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 am

Minkin wrote:
This Youtube link is gone. Does anyone have any further information on it? Is it a newer restoration than what's been put out by Flicker Alley /BFI/MOC/etc? I've been holding off all of these editions - as I care most about this score, so if yet another edition is coming out with the Cinematic Orchestra score, that would be dandy (although its been 2 years and no info since).
This was just a user that synched the music and the 4K restored picture together. Nothing official.