The John Cassavetes Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: The John Cassavetes Collection

#26 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 am

Martin Scorsese discusses Cassavetes in this clip from A Personal Journey Through American Movies.

colinr0380

#27 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 pm

That was a lovely clip and my introduction to Cassavetes’ films although it misses the way that the Scorsese documentary returns back to the scene of Faces
SpoilerShow
for Carlin waking up and Seymour Cassell giving the ecstatic reaction: “Come on now cry! That’s life honey. Tears of happiness!” and making sure that he has got the rest of the pills with him before going to make her some coffee!
That episode of the series when first screened on Channel 4 in the UK in 1995 was followed up by a screening of Faces (in a double bill with New York, New York if I remember correctly, which resulted in quite a harrowing evening of viewing!), which I think was the last screening of any Cassavetes film on any terrestrial UK television channel to date – although I think the 5US digital channel screened Gloria around 2009/10.

antnield

#28 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 pm

colinr0380 wrote:That episode of the series when first screened on Channel 4 in the UK in 1995 was followed up by a screening of Faces (in a double bill with New York, New York if I remember correctly, which resulted in quite a harrowing evening of viewing!), which I think was the last screening of any Cassavetes film on any terrestrial UK television channel to date – although I think the 5US digital channel screened Gloria around 2009/10.
Big Trouble screened on Channel Four in 1996. A Child is Waiting screened on the same channel in 2000 and 2003. Gloria screened on Channel Five in 2000 and 2005.

colinr0380

#29 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Perhaps, Gloria aside, I should have qualified that statement as the last good (or at least representative) Cassavetes film! :P (and Channel 5 doesn't count for me until I digitally upgraded in April 2008)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antnield

#30 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Perhaps, Gloria aside, I should have qualified that statement as the last good (or at least representative) Cassavetes film! :P
Interesting you should mention 'representative' there Colin. Here's something I wrote for the Quietus last month, Cassavetes the Reluctant Hollywood Player.

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:05 am

No great surprise, since it's already been announced and they're clearly doing the films in chronological sequence, but A Woman Under the Influence has been confirmed as the next dual-format Cassavetes release, due out between July and September.

antnield

#32 Post by antnield » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

September 17th release for A Woman Under the Influence.

antnield

#33 Post by antnield » Sat May 05, 2012 8:25 am

MichaelB

#34 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 am

Mondo Digital on Shadows and Faces.

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Blu-ray.com on Shadows.

antnield

#36 Post by antnield » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:46 am

22nd October release for Opening Night and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Special features for Bookie...
- Original 1976 cut (128 mins. DVD only)
- Audio commentary - selected scenes on 1978 cut
- Anything for John (90 mins documentary. DVD only)
- The Haircut (dir. Tamar Hoffs. 22 mins. 1982 short film starring John Cassavetes)

hearthesilence

#37 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 am

Arrrrr, as with Margaret....anyone know why the longer cut wasn't given the HD treatment? (Was it only in their budget to use pre-existing HD transfers and just didn't have one for the longer cut?)

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:15 am

It's a racing certainty that an HD master simply wasn't available - and the BFI probably wouldn't have the budget or the remit to create one from scratch.

eerik

#39 Post by eerik » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:It's a racing certainty that an HD master simply wasn't available - and the BFI probably wouldn't have the budget or the remit to create one from scratch.
Criterion has one:
  • Restored high-definition digital transfer of John Cassavetes’ original 135-minute edit of the film
  • Restored high-definition digital transfer of Cassavetes’ 108-minute edit for the 1978 theatrical rerelease

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:07 pm

In which case, I don't know: budgetary issues, I imagine. Or they didn't think the longer cut looked particularly good in HD. (cf current Eureka policy).

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#41 Post by Caligula » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 am

According to the respective Amazon listings, both The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie and Opening Night will now only be released on May 13 2013.

neilist

#42 Post by neilist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:00 am

Caligula wrote:According to the respective Amazon listings, both The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie and Opening Night will now only be released on May 13 2013.
I don't want to get up hopes too much, but a delay could possibly point towards 'The Killing of a Chinese Bookie' getting released with the longer cut in HD, as opposed to just SD.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 am

Full specs announced for A Woman Under the Influence:
The John Cassavetes Collection
A Woman Under the Influence

Starring Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands

Arguably John Cassavetes' most successful and influential film, A Woman Under the Influence stars Gena Rowlands (Gloria, Faces) and the legendary Peter Falk (Columbo) as Mabel and Nick Longhetti, a blue-collar couple struggling to cope with Mabel's slide into mental illness.

Featuring a central performance of awe-inspiring conviction from Gena Rowlands, this critically acclaimed film is as powerful today as it was upon its original release, when it earned Oscar nominations for Rowlands (Best Actress) and John Cassavetes (Best Director).

Packaged in a Dual Format edition (containing both DVD and Blu-ray discs), this extraordinary film receives its world premiere Blu-ray release. Special features include a rare interview with Peter Falk, filmed at John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands' home in the Hollywood hills, an interview with John Cassavetes' long-term personal assistant, Elaine Kagan, by film critic Tom Charity, and two original trailers.

Special Features
• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition;
Falk on Cassavetes: husbands and wives (DVD only, 15 mins)
Elaine Kagan interviewed by Tom Charity (DVD only, 19 mins)
• Original trailer (3 mins)
• Alternative 16mm trailer (3 mins)
• Illustrated booklet featuring interviews and new essays by Tom Charity and Al Ruban.

A Woman Under the Influence follows the BFI's release of Shadows (1959) and Faces (1968) in April. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) and Opening Night (1977) will be released in Dual Format editions in Spring 2013.

RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIB1127 / Cert 15
US / 1974 / colour / 147 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.85:1
Disc 1: BD50 / 1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio (48k/24-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)

MichaelB

#44 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 am

Beaver on A Woman Under the Influence.

hearthesilence

#45 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:21 am

I can't understand why the restorations weren't used - is that really true?

A shame, I remember when MoMA screened the restoration for A Woman Under the Influence, Gena Rowlands was there to introduce it. Unfortunately I skipped it for a prior engagement - really hope they screen it somewhere soon.

MichaelB

#46 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 am

I can't speak for A Woman Under the Influence as I don't have a copy yet, but the sources for the BFI Blu-rays of Faces and Shadows are clearly given as UCLA - indeed, Ross Lipman is explicitly credited onscreen as the restoration supervisor for Shadows.

He's not credited onscreen on Faces (no-one is, bar the people who worked on the original film), but he's listed in the "special thanks" section of the booklet, and the technical details make it clear that the film underwent extensive digital restoration in LA.
The film was transferred in High Definition on a Spirit Datacine from a 35mm duplicate negative, blown up from the original 16mm A/B reels. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System. The soundtracks were mastered at 24-bit from a 35mm magnetic audio track, and audio restoration tools were used to reduce clicks, pops, hiss and crackle.

Telecine supervisor: Maria Palazzola
Telecine colorist: Gregg Garvin/Modern Videofilm, LA

hearthesilence

#47 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm

That's excellent news - whoever edits DVDBeaver should take down those claims made by a "listserv" member that Faces didn't use the restoration. Given the lack of any source, they really ought to take down his entire statement, period.

MichaelB

#48 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 am

For the record, the Beaver is correct to say that A Woman Under the Influence is Region B - I've just checked my own copy.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#49 Post by cdnchris » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 pm

I just threw my copy into my PS3 and was surprised to be greeted by a "Region B" message. I was surprised since both Shadows and Faces were region free. Any reason as to why this one is different? I'm guessing the remaining two will also be Region B.

peerpee
not perpee

#50 Post by peerpee » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 am

A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE looks amazing on Beaver.

I'm going on a chrono Blu-ray Cassavetes binge late next week. Got SHADOWS BFI Blu and TOO LATE BLUES Olive Blu lined up.