Flipside 023: Nightbirds

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Flipside 023: Nightbirds

#26 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Mondo Digital:
Nightbirds: The transfer of the film itself looks very good indeed, especially when one considers its ragged history and how close to oblivion it could have been. Shot on less than superlative film stock on 16mm, it's a grainy film with a fair amount of built-in debris and rough scene edits at times; however, that's actually a positive here as it adds to the seedy, bygone aesthetic of the main feature that would have been muted with an avalanche of excessive digital tinkering. Detail in motion is exceptional (frame grabs can't really capture how this one feels as it plays), with a tight and pleasing cinematic appearance very close to watching it thrown off a projector. Anyone who's accustomed to the dupey, blown-up look from most of Milligan's films on video will be shocked to see how crisp and atmospheric this one actually is.
The Body Beneath: The new transfer is an intoxicating experience if you're willing to glide along with Milligan's cockeyed filmic sensibilities, a statement that would've gotten most people slapped thirty years ago. The hailstone-sized grain blobs that terrorized his work for many theater audiences are exchanged here for a much more solid, refined appearance, with beautifully modulated, natural grain levels and sometimes psychedelic colors, especially the tripped-out climax.

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Rock! Shock! Pop!:
It’s pretty safe to say that if you’d have said even a few years ago that Andy Milligan’s films would get the deluxe treatment on Blu-ray, let alone from an organization like the BFI, most cult movie fans would have said you were off your rocker. Yet here we are...

antnield

#28 Post by antnield » Mon May 21, 2012 7:43 am

Part three in the Digital Fix's Anatomy of a Flipside series. Or, how a pantomime dame recorded the Flipside's first commentary...

antnield

#29 Post by antnield » Mon May 28, 2012 7:08 am

Fourth and final instalment in the Digital Fix's Anatomy of a Flipside series.

antnield

#30 Post by antnield » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:45 pm

antnield

#31 Post by antnield » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 am

Nicolas Winding Refn's introduction from the booklet can be read on The Guardian website.

knives

#32 Post by knives » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 pm

This was an absolutely weird and delightful experience and has convinced me to get the encounters set even though one of the films is a repurchase. The two films are so strange and different from each other that I'm already utterly convinced he's a master with Morrissey type potential (I want to see at least one more feature before committing to that statement though). The camera work is very basic, but as one could expect from a theater director the mis-en-scene is rather amazing gather a very nasty image full of frustration and constant anger. Even if the utterly amazing The Body Beneath wasn't included it would be obvious from Nightbirds alone that he was a horror master. He uses the stiff low budget very well reminding me of those bizarre Bressonian films Fassbinder did at the start of his career. Though The Body Beneath also shows a high drama use of colour that absolutely blasts the image to pieces. The film looks like a low-fi The Damned at times! This is without question one of the best releases I've encountered recently.

zedz

#33 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:14 pm

I happened to watch Nightbirds over the weekend as well and, while not entirely dull, it's an absolutely terrible film, amusingly inept in just about every way: terrible script, stilted acting, comically hopeless direction (about the only directorial 'touch' is tilting the camera on its side to signal 'spooky' or 'unhinged'), tacky twists, all spiced up with low-rent gore and sex. I don't know what drugs knives was on to see the ghosts of Bresson and Fassbinder in the place of Ed Wood and Herschell Gordon Lewis, but I'd like to try them! (Hey, even the guy doing the commentary can barely scare up much enthusiasm for the film, settling for "I've seen worse films" and "it is watchable".)

knives

#34 Post by knives » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm

I should note that I'm insane enough to find Wood an equal to early Fassbinder. I agree that HGL is an other name to throw into the ring, but that's not necessarily bad.

Matt

#35 Post by Matt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:12 pm

zedz, was this your first Milligan film?

zedz

#36 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Yes indeed, but I was aware of his reputation.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#37 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:13 am

zedz wrote:I happened to watch Nightbirds over the weekend as well and, while not entirely dull, it's an absolutely terrible film, amusingly inept in just about every way: terrible script, stilted acting, comically hopeless direction (about the only directorial 'touch' is tilting the camera on its side to signal 'spooky' or 'unhinged'), tacky twists, all spiced up with low-rent gore and sex.
Perhaps Refn, who 'rescued' the film, used these same attributes as a blueprint for 'Drive' ?
Not wishing to stir up a hornet's nest of course.
As for Nightbirds it took me two sittings with gritted teeth to get through it. I really saw absolutely nothing of merit in it at all.
Absolutely inessential.

Tom Hunter-Watts

#38 Post by Tom Hunter-Watts » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 am

I'm new to this forum, hello everyone.

I enjoyed these two movies a great deal, although I had seen The Body Beneath before on the Something Weird edition. I'm not surprised, but at the same time a bit taken aback by Zedz's criticisms. I expected from Nightbirds something on the level of early Paul Morrissey/later Warhol, and that's what I got, along with a smallness, sourness and a focus on emotional extremity that I have valued a great deal in other low budget British pictures of the 60s and 70s (Duffer, or Little Malcolm, say, or Straight on Till Morning). With what Andy Milligan had – young, struggling actors, 14 days and a small simple camera – he pulled off something very effective. In terms of what he does with the sets and the camera, and in terms of the performances, I'm at a loss to see anything that could be described as inept. Indeed, The Body Beneath compares very well with Anger, Jarman or the work of any other independent low-budget filmmaker who works with cheap but imaginative eye-catching costumes and makes up for a poverty of set-material with swathes of rich colour. Nightbirds is a downbeat contrast, but has thematic links, and I don't think it's fair to come down too harshly on the rather melodramatic and misanthropic "twist" without seeing it in the context of Milligan's work as a horror film-maker, as someone working with lurid, pop-culture symbols rather than in the tradition of social realism. Even with Vapors, we have the story of the boy eaten up by sea-worms, and the strange, simultaneously touching and sinister gift of the box-wrapped sunflower. Not realism by any means, even in what might otherwise seem an attempt at "fly on the wall". Nightbirds is a vampire story, an attempt at urban legend, made at a time when Doxycycline had seen off the terror of syphilis but its surviving legend became part of the imaginative background to how people understood HIV 15 years later.

One complaint, in case anyone from the BFI reads these forums: the covers for the Flipside releases have such determinedly dull graphic design! I can't understand why, unless it's a desire born of pop-culture insecurity to seem more "serious", boring and hence safe. Who in their right mind would blind buy Nightbirds after looking at that cover? Or Duffer come to that? Are those really the best images that could be found? Plenty of times I've been unsure whether to click on "proceed to checkout", and it's the cover that's finally swayed me! These covers, with their uniform fonts and layouts, might well attract the blind buyers of every Flipside release, but these products from the cultural margins, so often raw and wild and energising, need a similarly raw and exciting design face, it seems to me.

zedz

#39 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Tom Hunter-Watts wrote: In terms of what he does with the sets and the camera, and in terms of the performances, I'm at a loss to see anything that could be described as inept. Indeed, The Body Beneath compares very well with Anger, Jarman or the work of any other independent low-budget filmmaker who works with cheap but imaginative eye-catching costumes and makes up for a poverty of set-material with swathes of rich colour.
Again, I think those points of reference are pretty bizarre. With The Body Beneath, Milligan is trying and failing to make a competent, commercial genre film; Anger and Jarman are doing nothing of the sort, and are vastly more successful in tailoring their means and form to their content and vision.

I can understand that the Milligan films have a certain novelty value if you've never seen much actual amateur filmmaking, but honestly, there are thousands and thousands of films like this out there. It's just that 99.99% of them never see the light of day. They're weekend projects that limp along until they're more or less complete, get shown to the participants, who get drunk and have a laugh or crawl under the sofa to hide. The more hubristic filmmakers submit their masterpiece to a film festival or two, where some junior programmer diligently suffers through them before writing a polite note of decline.

If you like these films, there's a positive treasure trove of backyard auteurs out there who'll be pathetically grateful for your kind attention and ecstatic raves.

Opdef

#40 Post by Opdef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Tom Hunter-Watts wrote:One complaint, in case anyone from the BFI reads these forums: the covers for the Flipside releases have such determinedly dull graphic design! I can't understand why, unless it's a desire born of pop-culture insecurity to seem more "serious", boring and hence safe. Who in their right mind would blind buy Nightbirds after looking at that cover? Or Duffer come to that? Are those really the best images that could be found? Plenty of times I've been unsure whether to click on "proceed to checkout", and it's the cover that's finally swayed me! These covers, with their uniform fonts and layouts, might well attract the blind buyers of every Flipside release, but these products from the cultural margins, so often raw and wild and energising, need a similarly raw and exciting design face, it seems to me.
Completely agree - it's even more frustrating when the artwork on the covers of the booklets (usually the original posters) look far better.

knives

#41 Post by knives » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Zedz, couldn't that description fit toward Morrissey and Anger though. Certainly, to name an other recent BFI entry, de Rome? Having terribly low production values shouldn't automatically translate into being a terrible movie (here I'm reminded of Shreck and Hare's recent wonderful conversation on the wonderful Mesa of Lost Women).

Tom Hunter-Watts

#42 Post by Tom Hunter-Watts » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

As WH Auden might have said, many films are unjustly forgotten, but none are unjustly remembered.

Milligan was not an amateur filmmaker chancing it. He made film after film after film, and such a clear compulsion to make something, despite all sensible advice to the contrary, should earn someone a certain amount of respect. All I can say is that Milligan's films look nothing to me like inept genre work. I've seen plenty of that, and it's not that - it comes down to personal judgement in the end, but I feel a private purpose behind the work, behind the apparently pulpy themes, which communicates itself quite powerfully. After all, 99% of horror fans think it's garbage. They must be missing something, surely? ;-)

But when Zedz, for example, states that the acting is bad in Nightbirds... I'm puzzled. How is it bad? How is the framing bad? I may be deluded, or Zedz may lack sympathy with this kind of work, or I may have some unusual affinity with ineptitude.

I do hope that the BFI or some other label will be able to produce equally fine editions of Milligan's other work - House of the Seven Belles would be a fascinating place to start. Perhaps Refn could finish it!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#43 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:40 pm

'Low production values' are not the issue here. There are countless examples of striking pieces of film making of varying ambitions, strategies and tactics made with a couple of quid and a Meccano kit. This simply isn't one of them. It is terminally tedious and to borrow Zedz' succinct summary 'inept'. Why it is sporting a bfi blu fancy dress disguise is baffling. Maybe the Refn seal of approval is worth more in marketing terms than its inherent worth.
It's only the anal retentive cricket on my shoulder chirping in my ear that prevents there being a gap at no 23 in my Flipside shelf.

Matt

#44 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I think Milligan transcends (or maybe just shrugs off) notions of "good" and "bad" filmmaking. I will be the first to admit that they are difficult to watch, but the line between intentional difficulty via dramatic distanciation techniques (i.e. the tedium is a feature, not a bug) and unintentional difficulty via technical ineptitude is very blurred, but his films do exhibit both.

What I love about Milligan is that he had a literal compulsion to make movies and didn't let obstacles like a lack of technique or money stop him. And he did everything on his films: sets, costumes, photography, you name it. Those looking for an outsider auteur should find a lot to like about Milligan. He's a unique voice in filmmaking, even if, with Ed Wood and Doris Wishman, he's a patron saint of a million terrible film and videomakers who think the world needs to see their vision and hear their story.

In a certain respect, Milligan didn't know how to make a film, so he reinvented how to do it. I think that deserves respect, even if the results are rather bitter pills to swallow. But watch enough of them and you'll see he's just like every other filmmaker: he's got recurring themes and techniques, an identifiable visual and narrative style, and his work actually does cohere into an ouevre.

Robin Davies

#45 Post by Robin Davies » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:47 pm

These are the first Milligan films I've seen and I must admit they don't encourage me to seek out any more.
I don't really get the distinctiveness that others say they see in his work - unlike, say, Jesus Franco whose work (however far below the conventional standards of cinematic quality it may be) is nearly always soaked in his unique style and worldview.

Tom Hunter-Watts

#46 Post by Tom Hunter-Watts » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Robin, I guess they either intrigue or strike someone has having some truth about them, or they don't. To me, one interesting thing is trying to tease together what the two films have in common, how one leads on to the other. With The Body Beneath, Milligan takes a similar slanted, satirical approach to vampire law as Morrissey does in Blood for Dracula, playing with ideas of blood purity and family honour as well as getting humour from the tedious practicalities made necessary by a blood habit. And I think the Catholic moralist tone in Morrissey finds a small parallel in the moral severity which ties up Nightbirds. It's a parallel, but not a claim for distinctiveness. One distinct quality is the insistence on the cheapest means - the camera whirrs audibly on both soundtracks, lending the films a rough, street-theatre feel, and the library soundtracks always have their own thing going, as it were, they don't necessarily follow the action. I don't find that alienating, but just another sort of interest. In the end, I suppose I see Milligan as working in the Warhol/Morrissey tradition, but with a script, not afraid of wordiness, of verbiage, and much more engaged with melodrama, with the kind of material performed by Tod Slaughter in the 30s and 40s. I mean, if you enjoyed The Face at the Window... etc. But also relying a lot on chance, on the actors and locations that happen to be available, the money that happens to turn up. It may be that the idea of these films, and this is obviously a common criticism of Warhol, is infinitely better than the realisation, but personally I've come to enjoy the films themselves for what they are.

Tom Hunter-Watts

#47 Post by Tom Hunter-Watts » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Also, and I know this is a bit of a shabby justification, but at least this set has generated some actual contempt and disdain, which every Flipside ought to do, somewhere, if the range is to serve its purpose. With The Black Panther for example, I suspect conversation soon runs dry - it's a good, previously neglected reconstruction, made with a certain amount of moral reticence, and there's not a heap of debate to be had. With Milligan we have direct critical contradiction, and that's got to be a sign of life.