BFI: 32 Ozu Films

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: BFI: 32 Ozu Films

#776 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 am

JimmyTango wrote:Does anyone know if Ozu's 1936 short film "Kagamijishi" is available on DVD or Blu-ray? I cant find it anywhere.
It's on the Carlotta releases .Either the earlier Volume 1 or on the newer 14DVD set with extra supplements
http://www.dvdclassik.com/test/dvd-ozu- ... e-carlotta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimmyTango

#777 Post by JimmyTango » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:15 am

Many thanks Bob! I since discovered the short is also available as part of the Shochiku released set http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00C ... VRQENFRJN5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I prefer the Carlotta artwork.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#778 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:52 am

The little montages of trains. washing lines etc are quite sweet too on the Carlottas.

jguitar

#779 Post by jguitar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:15 pm

I had a chance to watch the BFI disc of Early Summer last night. I was curious going into it how they would translate the section where Awashima Chikage's character teases Hara Setsuko's about moving to Akita; they start speaking in a jokey rural northern dialect. In the Criterion disc, this is represented as sort of a southern US dialect, but I couldn't decide on what dialect was intended by the BFI subtitles. Any ideas?

zedz

#780 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:32 pm

jguitar wrote:I had a chance to watch the BFI disc of Early Summer last night. I was curious going into it how they would translate the section where Awashima Chikage's character teases Hara Setsuko's about moving to Akita; they start speaking in a jokey rural northern dialect. In the Criterion disc, this is represented as sort of a southern US dialect, but I couldn't decide on what dialect was intended by the BFI subtitles. Any ideas?
They don't happen to say "it's grim oop north," do they? If not, what a wasted opportunity. (Cue Hara's prim response: "The N.W.R.A.")

jguitar

#781 Post by jguitar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:42 pm

zedz wrote:They don't happen to say "it's grim oop north," do they? If not, what a wasted opportunity. (Cue Hara's prim response: "The N.W.R.A.")
I was prepared for either some kind of northern UK accent or a Thomas Hardyesque Mummerset, but it came across as something a bit more mysterious.

Zot!

#782 Post by Zot! » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 am

Are the only two BFI Ozus with the bonus feature in HD Equinox Flower and Late Spring? I can't find one page with all the specs anywhere.

EddieLarkin

#783 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 am

Yes

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#784 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

One possible reason for the lack of BFI action on the Ozu front, the person most recently responsible for handling this series (Sonia Mullett) appears to have left around the the end of 2013 (or early 2014) -- and now works at ITN. My only address for her was her one at BFI which is now, of course, dead).

JacquesQ

#785 Post by JacquesQ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:02 am

I guess the BFI project can now be presumed dead, which is sad, because this time we really came quite close to having a complete, homogeneous "Ozu with subtitles" set...
I am unsure whether Criterion will go beyond their 3rd Eclipse set.
And unsure too whether there will be any more BluRay transfers beyond the already available BFI (+ Masters of Cinema), Criterion, and Shochiku ones (and Carlotta for the French market + various publishers for Spain, Italy, etc., but all using one of the same available sources).
So I've done what I had long intended to do : a simplified Excel file listing all (IMHO) relevant DVD and BR editions of Ozu films.
I kept it, as I said, simple, with just 7 columns :
- (English) "title" (only for the 37 extant, or partly extant films, not the lost ones) - with mention of "fragments" and "short film" where applicable -,
- (French) "titre" - with same mention -,
- "Shochiku + Toho + Daiei", with specific mention of Toho and Daiei editions listed for the 3 non-Shochiku films, and "+ BR" added in red when there is a separate Blu Ray edition available (keeping in mind that the BRs have English subtitles, while none of the Japanese DVDs do, and that the original DVDs were from a different master, not "reductions" of the BRs : so there are actually two DVD editions of the same movies, one beofre there was a HD transfer, and one after),
- "Carlotta + Arte + MK2" for the French DVDs (and 2 BRs), with Arte or MK2 specified for non-Carlotta releases (only French s/t),
- "BFI + Masters of Cinema" for the British DVDs (and BRs), with MoC specified for Floating Weeds,
- "Criterion" for the US DVDs (and BRs), keeping in mind that (as is the case for the Shochiku sets), here there are (or were) available DVDs that were done from different masters than the present "Blu Ray reduced to DVD" editions ; CAUTION :1/ Criterion (somehow paranoically) insists on using "region 1" DVD and "region A" Blu Ray format, so beware what your player can or can't do, and 2/ as opposed to BFI, Criterion has given up the "dual format" editions, so that Tokyo Story is (for now) still available in dual format, but the new transfer of Late Spring on DVD must be bought separately from the Blu Ray,
- and finally "Panorama + Bo Ying + Filmax" : Panorama because these Hong Kong releases remain to this day, with all their shortcomings, the 3rd most complete series of Ozu films behind Shochiku (but remember, no subtitles...) and BFI (but some titles on Panorama are not on BFI), Bo Ying simply because it is one of the few editions of The Munekata Sisters, keeping in mind that the "true" Bo Ying disc only has Chinese subtitles, but there are quite a few "home made" DVDs (made from this Chinese edition rather than the Japanese one) with English subtitles added, and Filmax because it is, to the best of my knowledge, the only "legal" edition of The Munekata Sisters so far with subtitles in a Western language (in this case, Spanish). I also know someone selling DVDs made from a former VHS with French subtitles, but no English ones, if someone's interested...
Note that where there are 2 "x", it means that there was a first DVD (usually still available), and that there is now a second, different DVD that came out along with the Blu Ray edition (even though not necessarily in the same package : see recent Criterion policy in that regard).
I deliberately left out the Tartan sets due to their poor quality, not compensated with a large offer as in the case of Panorama.
What it shows is that, all questions of quality of transfer, subtitles, etc., apart, and also not considering the availability of some titles that tend to become scarce or be quite hard to find already (like Criterion's Good Morning), the most "fragile" Ozu films for now are the fragment of Fighting Friends Japanese Style (only available on Shochiku and Carlotta), the documentary Kagami jishi (same here), and I Flunked, But... and The Lady and the Beard (only available on Shochiku and BFI).
This does not aim at being an exhaustive, scientific list, but rather a tool, particularly for people wanting to have an easy reference allowing them to become acquainted with Ozu or to deepen their knowledge of his work.
So here's the link :
http://www.filedropper.com/ozudvdbr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It will remain active for 30 days, and 30 more days every time someone downloads it. If this forum hardly sends anyone there and the link expires (not too unlikely since nobody seems to come here any more...), let me know by PM, I will renew it (and possibly update the file if necessary).
Last edited by JacquesQ on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#786 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks for this useful tabulation. At first glance though I think you haven't noted the BR of Le fils unique

hearthesilence

#787 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:31 pm

The ongoing 4k restorations must have been a mixed blessing. It had to have been irksome to launch a series of BD reissues, only to find out that each title you had in stores or in the pipeline was being prepped elsewhere for a new, superior restoration that would be out in just a few years.

JacquesQ

#788 Post by JacquesQ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Thanks for this useful tabulation. At first glance though I think you haven't noted the BR of Le fils unique
You are right, I'm so sorry, I got mixed up between my fathers and sons !... It is indeed The Only Son that got Blu Rayed by Carlotta, not There Was a Father. I corrected the mistake and changed the original post so that it now shows the corrected file.

JacquesQ

#789 Post by JacquesQ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

hearthesilence wrote:The ongoing 4k restorations must have been a mixed blessing. It had to have been irksome to launch a series of BD reissues, only to find out that each title you had in stores or in the pipeline was being prepped elsewhere for a new, superior restoration that would be out in just a few years.
True, there could/should have been a degree of concertation rather than competition between the three major publishers, in order to either co-edit the 4k restorations or to share the tasks between them. Then again, I can't think of any firm willing to let go a Blu Ray reissue of Tokyo Story and just do Equinox Flower...
Last edited by JacquesQ on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movielocke

#790 Post by movielocke » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:28 pm

JacquesQ wrote: This does not aim at being an exhaustive, scientific list, but rather a tool, particularly for people wanting to have an easy reference allowing them to become acquainted with Ozu or to deepen their knowledge of his work.
So here's the link :
http://www.filedropper.com/ozudvdbr_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It will remain active for 30 days, and 30 more days every time someone downloads it. If this forum hardly sends anyone there and the link expires (not too unlikely since nobody seems to come here any more...), let me know by PM, I will renew it (and possibly update the file if necessary).
Excellent, downloaded this list. I think the only thing it is missing is a column for Hulu/FilmStruck as almost all the films are available there with English subtitles but the silent films without accompany disc releases are unfortunately score-less (I just watched I graduated But and A Straightforward Boy last week).

JacquesQ

#791 Post by JacquesQ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Excellent, downloaded this list. I think the only thing it is missing is a column for Hulu/FilmStruck as almost all the films are available there with English subtitles but the silent films without accompany disc releases are unfortunately score-less (I just watched I graduated But and A Straightforward Boy last week).
Thanks for the reminder, but I'm probably too much "of the old school" to be well acquainted with those online film servers.
Another problem is they're not available everywhere - actually those you name are only in the US for now, I think.
And third, if I am correct, you can watch the movies, not download them, which means you lose many features you can use on a disc (or even a VHS), like stopping, going back, comparing frames, etc. - or at least I guess they're not easy to manipulate on such sites.
So I stick with my "material support" file for now !

jsteffe

#792 Post by jsteffe » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:18 pm

JacquesQ wrote: http://www.filedropper.com/ozudvdbr_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! I will use it to make sure that we have everything by Ozu with English subtitles on DVD or Blu-ray in our library's media collection.

patreig

#793 Post by patreig » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:24 am

Fantastic job! Thanks a lot. You forgot the BFI Blu Ray of Tokyo Story.

JacquesQ

#794 Post by JacquesQ » Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 pm

patreig wrote:Fantastic job! Thanks a lot. You forgot the BFI Blu Ray of Tokyo Story.
Thanks a lot for noticing this blunder (although, as regards quality, it is probably the weakest of all Blu Rays of Tokyo Story, but this file is meant to list, not to rate). I made the correction and uploaded the corrected file. I hope we are heading for 100% correctness now (but hoping that it will have to be corrected again in a not too remote future due to new releases !).

Twentyfoureyes

#795 Post by Twentyfoureyes » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 am

I am about to buy The Only son/there was a father dvd set from Criterion for its lovely artwork, a lengtly booklet and its own supplement. Can anyone confirm that these movies that come as a supplement on those bfi blu ray doesn't have a lot improvement on PQ/AQ over the criterion dvd set? If their PQ/AQ are about the same, I could be confident in buying the cirterion set. Cheers.

bottled spider

#796 Post by bottled spider » Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Hopefully somebody will come by who can give you a proper answer, but in lieu of that: I have the BFI Blu-ray of Only Son, and have rented the Criterion DVD of the same in the past, and as best as I can recall, the Blu-ray is not a significant improvement on the DVD. But you'd obviously prefer an opinion from someone who has either compared them side-by-side or watched them reasonably close together.

I've only seen the Criterion DVD of There Was a Father. I seem to remember the film critic interviews on both Criterion DVDs being quite good -- essentially video essays.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#797 Post by Drucker » Wed May 04, 2016 5:40 pm

The BFI blu-rays use available Criterion HD Masters as the basis for their restorations, I believe. The Only Son may have been a DVD, but it was from an HD-master.

Twentyfoureyes

#798 Post by Twentyfoureyes » Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks a lot, I will definitely getting the criterion set now. :)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#799 Post by Drucker » Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am

Well I mean, the BFI's aren't picture-boxed, they are 1080p, there is definitely an increase in resolution, and you get Equinox Flower and Late Spring in high-def. You can get both right now for about $40 on Amazon. I would go with the BFIs!

Twentyfoureyes

#800 Post by Twentyfoureyes » Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Drucker, I already have the new 4k restoration japanese blu ray of Equinox Flower and Late Spring, that's why I am only interested in The Only Son/There was a Father on BFI discs. In your opinion, do you think it's still worth it to own the bare bone 1080p version on BFI's or should I own picture-boxed with nice supplement found on Criterion's?