Raúl Ruiz

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Raoul Ruiz on DVD

#201 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Gulp, looks like FNAC are out of stock, and it's only available at outrageous prices from third-parties (either there or from Amazon France).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#202 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 am

Courtesy of DVDKlassik
par bruce randylan » 10 Fév 16, 10:29

Dans le cadre de la rétro Raoul Ruiz dans 2 mois à la Cinémathèque :

L'Ina et la Cinémathèque française s'associent pour proposer 8 films rares de Raoul Ruiz dans un coffret de 5 DVD. Dialogue d'exilés, son premier film réalisé en France, et La Recta Provincia, version cinéma d'une série créée pour la télévision chilienne, sont accompagnés de 6 films audacieux réalisés au sein de l'ancien Service de la recherche de l'Ina : De grands événements et des gens ordinaires, La Vocation suspendue, L'Hypothèse du tableau volé, Les Trois Couronnes du matelot, Quatre regards sur le château de Chambord, Bérénice.

perkizitore

#203 Post by perkizitore » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 am

Except for the 3 films included in the Blaq Out set, have any of the other films ever been released on DVD? Fingers crossed for English subs!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#204 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm

For easier reference, here are the eight films mentioned:

Dialogue d'exilés (1975) (previously released by Facets)
La Recta Provincia (2007) (not even available through backchannels with English subs, I've seen it though with a shaky understanding of Spanish...and it's pretty good!)
De grands événements et des gens ordinaires (1979) (not even available through backchannels with English subs)
La Vocation suspendue (1978) (Blaq Out/Facets)
L'Hypothèse du tableau vole (1978) (Blaq Out/Facets)
Les Trois Couronnes du matelot (1983) (Blaq Out/Facets)
Quatre regards sur le château de Chambord (1981) (not even available through backchannels with English subs)
Bérénice (1983) (not even available through backchannels at all)

This of course barely makes a dent in Ruiz's still unavailable filmography!

zedz

#205 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:12 pm

swo17 wrote:Dialogue d'exilés (1975) (previously released by Facets)
This is an abominable transfer that stutters constantly. Practically unwatchable.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#206 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:30 pm

I thought that went without saying!

perkizitore

#207 Post by perkizitore » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm

swo17 wrote:Dialogue d'exilés (1975) (previously butchered by Facets)
Fixed!

TMDaines

#208 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 am

Does anybody know for certain which year L'hypothèse du tableau volé premiered? IMDb currently lists it as a 1978 film, because of reported screening in September 1978 at the Figueira da Foz Film Festival. I cannot find anything at all on this though. At the same time, I cannot really find a premiere date for 1979.

Any help?

perkizitore

#209 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:14 am

The Amazon France pre-order does not list English subtitles. :cry:

Fiery Angel

Re: Raul Ruiz

#210 Post by Fiery Angel » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Coming to Film Society of Lincoln Center in December:
Life Is a Dream: The Films of Raúl Ruiz (Part One)
December 2–22
Arguably Chile's most internationally renowned and prolific filmmaker, Raúl Ruiz completed over one hundred films in numerous national cinemas. The mind-bending works that make up Ruiz’s eclectic and deeply influential oeuvre are labyrinthine, beguiling, and oneiric; obsessed with questions of theology, philosophy, psychoanalysis, literature, and visual expression; wildly experimental and slyly humorous; surrealist, magical realist, gothic, and neo-Baroque. The Film Society will present the first part of a retrospective devoted to Ruiz, among the great visionaries in film history and perhaps its most intrepid explorer of the unconscious. His films are unified by his singular imagination, idiosyncratic working methods, and the incomparably dreamlike experience of watching them.

Stefan Andersson

#211 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Paulo Branco interview about Raul Ruiz:
http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-paulo-branco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emilio

#212 Post by Emilio » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:50 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:Paulo Branco interview about Raul Ruiz:
http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-paulo-branco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great read, thanks for that!

knives

#213 Post by knives » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 pm

I may just be a prole, but did anyone else know that Dog's Dialogue derives its name from a Cervantes book? Anyone know what possible relation the book might have to the film?

worriedfire

#214 Post by worriedfire » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

I don't understand French, but it would certainly seem like Genealogies of a Crime, Time Regained and Three Lives and Only One Death all got Blu-Ray releases last year. But no subtitles as far as I can tell.

rockysds

#215 Post by rockysds » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am

Dying is no big thing. Film (made in 1990, unreleased until now) by Ruiz to premiere at Locarno: La Telenovela Errante.

The Pachyderminator

#216 Post by The Pachyderminator » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:04 pm

It seems that the Raridades set (currently unavailable at Amazon, and everywhere else that I can find) is on sale at fnac.pt.

That said, I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to actually order from that site, as I gather others in the USA have done. I don't know Portuguese, but the checkout page seems to be insisting that I provide a Portuguese tax ID.

(The only Ruiz I've seen is Love Torn in a Dream when it was on Mubi a while back. Not a great transfer, but it's one of those rare films that burrows a hole into your brain and lodges itself there. I have to see more.)

Werewolf by Night

#217 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Time Regained has been restored apparently and is playing as part of Lincoln Center's Ruiz retrospective. I hope we get some home video edition in the US that is an improvement over the legendarily unwatchable Kino DVD (which still appears to be in print!) The article gives no credit for the restoration, but the FSLC says "A KimStim release." :(

chiendent

#218 Post by chiendent » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 pm

The YBCA in San Francisco is showing this next month and their website says "Lovingly restored and remastered by Le Petit Bureau with support from the Centre national du cinéma et de l’image anime (CNC, France)." They do mention Kim Stim as well.

kubelkind

#219 Post by kubelkind » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm

This year's AV Festival in Newcastle, UK are showing three Ruiz films, including the Wandering Soap Opera UK premiere and, incredibly, a "reconstructed version" of this mega-rarity http://www.avfestival.co.uk/programme/2 ... spective-7

perkypat

#220 Post by perkypat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:31 pm

The AV Festival usually pulls a rabbit out of the hat, though there are fewer films this year than previous festivals. Seeing Lav Diaz introduce A Century of Birthing in 2012 was a personal highlight, but the Ruiz should be very interesting.

hearthesilence

#221 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I finally saw Mammame - the whole hour-long film is on YouTube, and no subtitles are needed given what it is. It is indeed extraordinary. In the same way Jonathan Demme's Stop Making Sense is arguably the best concert film ever made, this is quite possibly the best film I've ever seen of a dance performance, partly because it's so inventive in its approach and partly because it feels so organic (not just complementary) to Jean-Claude Gallotta's choreography. Apparently it premiered in the U.S. at Film Forum a few years after it hit the festival circuit and there were a few write-ups in the NY Times, though it seems those assignments were passed on to other arts writers rather than their primary film critics. In another piece, their chief dance critic disparaged Ruiz's film, writing, "If Mammame is concerned with couples who discover erotic love, the difference is that the film turns them into laboratory specimens largely observed from above and below within a maze of institutional rooms. The stage version is more humane, less mean, and related to the sense of tribal community that informs all Mr. Gallotta's work. Mr. Ruiz makes us see the camera work first - a fact that does not make the film any less interesting than it is but that stereotypes its view of male-female relations." Being completely unfamiliar with the work as it was presented on stage, I have to say the "discovery of erotic love" certainly comes through wonderfully in the opening and in the ending, where it seems to have evolved into something more beautiful. But the criticism of turning the subjects into lab specimens feels misguided (the sequences that could be accused of this don't involve any dancing that's particularly sensual) and the camera angles don't feel particularly mean in their unconventional placement.

rockysds

Re: Raúl Ruiz

#222 Post by rockysds » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 am

Blu-ray of Time Regained coming November 20th from KimStim.

Murdoch

#223 Post by Murdoch » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Great news! As an aside, if anyone knows of any other updates to the first post's list of available home releases, please PM me.

Roscoe

#224 Post by Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Looks like TIME REGAINED may have been postponed -- the pre-order page on Amazon isn't really there any more, and the KimStim page for the home video release has no release date on it.

kubelkind

#225 Post by kubelkind » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am

Blaq Out have released nice-looking Blu/DVD combos of Genealogies D'Un Crime, Trois Vies... and Temps Retrouvez, from 2K restorations and with lots of supplementary materials which look to be mighty fine. Sadly all completely English-unfriendly. Would be nice if someone like Arrow could do a very good deed. Indeed.