Raúl Ruiz

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Finch

Re: Raoul Ruiz on DVD

#176 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:06 pm

I ordered the French set today. That'll be the third copy of Mysteries of Lisbon I own (I have the Portugese and US Blu-Rays) and a second copy of Time Regained (should be about the same as the Second Sight DVD I have, no?) but at that price and wanting to have a copy of City of Pirates, I couldn't say no. Plus, I heard the longer cut of Klimt is very good and I'm looking forward to seeing the other films.

zedz

#177 Post by zedz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:55 pm

You do realize you'll still have to buy the Portugese DVD box set to see the full-length Mysteries of Lisbon, don't you? And will thereby acquire a fourth copy of the film cut!

Finch

#178 Post by Finch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I might some day. The theatrical cut works beautifully for me just now.

ianthemovie

Re: Raul Ruiz

#179 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Oh my God, City of Pirates. I'd been waiting to see this movie for a few years ever since I saw it come up on this forum's list of horror films. Turns out the whole thing is on YouTube with English subs--less than ideal circumstances under which to watch any film, let alone one this atmospheric and immersive, but I was so absorbed by the film it ended up not mattering. I don't think I've ever seen a film like this before; for me it recalled The Company of Wolves and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (two personal favorites), but its tone is utterly unique: hypnotically beautiful, whimsical, innocent, and yet undeniably frightening. So first off thank you to this forum for putting this little-known gem on my radar.

One of the unique things about City of Pirates is that it's quietly terrifying; rather than assaulting the viewer with scares or deliberately laying on thick some sort of Gothic atmosphere, it slowly and quietly gets under one's skin. This might be one of the reasons why the word "innocent" seems appropriate to describe it; it's as if Ruiz, in telling the film from the perspective of the (seemingly mentally unbalanced/childlike) Isidore, is pretending not to be fully aware of how strange and unsettling the details of the film are. It is a daringly childlike approach to the material that I found fascinating and powerful. As dread-inducing as some of the moments were here, there is also something comforting and peaceful about this film that makes me want to inhabit its atmosphere. Strange as it may sound, I could see this becoming a "comfort food" movie for me in the way that Company of Wolves already is.

Having finished the film yesterday I am still haunted by certain details:
SpoilerShow
the glee with which Isidore's employer (?) announces "It's finally happening! Isidore is going to commit suicide!" as she heads toward the sea; the way that Malo smiles after Isidore puts on the magic ring and he tells her "we're engaged now"; that curious conversation between Malo and Isidore ("Can I kiss you on the mouth?" / "No" / "Is it because I'm a kid?"); and of course that haunting final image in which Malo's shadow rises up over the horizon.

I will confess that I don't really have much of a theory about what "happens" in this film on a narrative level, but I don't really care. I was content to let the images wash over me like waves breaking on the rocks. Speaking of which, I found the score for this film to be superb--evocative of Bernard Herrmann at points in its lushness and grandiosity. Listening to it again (I can't get it out of my brain) I'm noticing how often the musical effects resemble the crashing of the waves. Brilliant.

Pardon my gushing; this may be the discovery of the year for me and I had to share my thoughts about it here. (It's a particularly hard film to talk to others about since so few people have seen it.)

aox

Mysteries of Lisbon (Raoul Ruiz, 2010)

#180 Post by aox » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Mysteries of Lisbon (Raoul Ruiz, 2010)

This film has seemingly arrived in my queue, but a five hour feature takes a lot of planning and preparation for me (intermissions aside and barring exceptions, I mostly insist on seeing a film in one sitting). I see that it was a favorite on many of the dynamic Top 10 lists on this board for various years (depending when it was released in your region), but there was no thread for it. What are your thoughts on this film whether initial or years later?

zedz

Re: Mysteries of Lisbon (Raoul Ruiz, 2010)

#181 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

aox wrote:Mysteries of Lisbon (Raoul Ruiz, 2010)

This film has seemingly arrived in my queue, but a five hour feature takes a lot of planning and preparation for me (intermissions aside and barring exceptions, I mostly insist on seeing a film in one sitting). I see that it was a favorite on many of the dynamic Top 10 lists on this board for various years (depending when it was released in your region), but there was no thread for it. What are your thoughts on this film whether initial or years later?
It's a wonderful film. Far, far straighter than a lot of Ruiz's films, but nevertheless full of characteristic quirks. Making time for it is a good idea, because you might want to see the whole thing through once you start, and the plotting is quite complex and will be easier to follow if you stick with it. But if you don't, it's probably not too big a deal, since the film is very episodic and originated as a TV series.

Lemmy Caution

Mysteries of Lisbon

#182 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 pm

I think the film can be broken into two viewings fairly easily.
I found the first half -- the set-up -- to be intriguing and effective.
But the second half seemed largely repetitive and somewhat fizzled.
I seem to recall there being an intermission on the discs I had.

Why hasn't Ruiz gotten a wacky C release?
Where o where is the Ruiz Eclipse set we badly need
?

Numero Trois

#183 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am

aox wrote:Mysteries of Lisbon (Raoul Ruiz, 2010)

What are your thoughts on this film whether initial or years later?
I thought Ruiz did a masterful job on that one. A textbook case of making the most out of what (judging from the plotline) seems to be intolerable source material. He played it straight like Zedz said. The curveball was in fusing a distanced "arthouse" approach seamlessly with the hopelessly dated picaresque material.

He got into his methodology for making the film in one of the interviews included in the Music Box edition. One of my favorite extras from recent years. After watching it I came out with more respect than ever for his craftmanship.

DeprongMori

#184 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:30 am

Just did a blind buy of The Mysteries of Lisbon today (along with about sixty other films from a video shop going out of business.) Looking forward to it. I haven't seen anything of his since Genealogies of a Crime and Time Regained.

hearthesilence

#185 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Finch wrote:I might some day. The theatrical cut works beautifully for me just now.
I just found out from multiple press sources of the time that Ruiz preferred the theatrical cut. None of them really go into detail though. Was Ruiz contractually obligated from the start to deliver a six-episode television series and then delivered his own cut for theatrical release?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#186 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:12 pm

Started watching City of Pirates on DVD (from the big French set) and got to a point 15 minutes before the end -- at which the DVD simply quit working (tried on both [layers that could handle it). ;-(

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#187 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:05 am

Mine struggled around that point too. (Though I was able to skip ahead and finish it.) Maybe they're all like that?

Numero Trois

#188 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am

hearthesilence wrote:I just found out from multiple press sources of the time that Ruiz preferred the theatrical cut.
He said as much in one of the extras included in the Music Box Films edition.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#189 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Couldn't even skip ahead. I wound up watching the end of CoP on Youtube.

D50

#190 Post by D50 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:08 pm

I ordered these two sets from Alfama Films on or around July 30 and nothing yet. Is more than a month shipped to the states (NV) normal?

Lemmy Caution

#191 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Is there any chance Criterion is going to release some Ruiz?
He seems like a pretty major filmmaker who is relatively obscure and whose output is hard to access.
Would seem perfect for an Eclipse set.
Would love to get 3 or 4 Ruiz films, since I've seen rather few.

D50

#192 Post by D50 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Finch wrote:I ordered the French set today...
Did you receive yours yet?

Ruiz box set

I paid for mine July 30 and they have not arrived.

DeprongMori

#193 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 am

Could we get the title of this thread corrected? The director is "Raúl Ruiz". Thanks.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#194 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:34 am

He was an international director and alternately went by both spellings.

Finch

#195 Post by Finch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 am

D50 wrote:Did you receive yours yet?

Ruiz box set

I paid for mine July 30 and they have not arrived.
Mine arrived on time, D50, within a week of dispatch. I don't remember where I ordered it from. May have been fnac.fr because Amazon France weren't accepting my card for the longest time for some unfathomable reason (working fine now).

Put your requests for Ruiz to Arrow, people. With a bit of luck, we might see a boxset from them November next year.

D50

#196 Post by D50 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:26 am

Alfama Films just refunded my paypal payment for both sets. Where else can I get these?

Ruiz box sets

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#197 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:27 am

Is there a reason you're looking for these sets as opposed to the French one that combines them along with Mysteries of Lisbon?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#198 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am

Well, the French box set seems to have a problematic disc for City of Pirates -- does the other set have the same problem?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#199 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:58 am

I know the content of the disc is an exact replica, but presumably this would have nothing to do with whatever it is that gives the French disc playback issues.

D50

#200 Post by D50 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:40 pm

swo17 wrote:Is there a reason you're looking for these sets as opposed to the French one that combines them along with Mysteries of Lisbon?
No reason. How / where can I get the French set with Mysteries of Lisbon?