Raúl Ruiz

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

Re: Raul Ruiz

#151 Post by ola t » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:35 am

It's available on the French DVD of Three Lives and Only One Death, and also in the Portuguese "A Consagração" box set. Both supposedly have English subtitles. (The earlier French disc from Gemini Films, now out of print, certainly did -- that's the one I have.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#152 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks!

knives

#153 Post by knives » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

The Clapp definitely has english subs. It is an essential set for a lot of reason.

nosy lena

#154 Post by nosy lena » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Anyone see any DVD release information for La Noche de Enfrente? Came out in France during the summer I remember right.

Tim

#155 Post by Tim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

For what it's worth, the 6-disc set of Mysteries of Lisbon (two discs for the theatrical version, three discs for the television version, and one disc of extras), is available in a French edition (Mysteres de Lisbonne) from Amazon France: http://www.amazon.fr/Myst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;ères-Lisbonne-Collector-Léa-Seydoux/dp/B0095IEHBQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1363281163&sr=1-3. The discs appear to be the same as the Portuguese edition, because while the title is given in both languages on each disc, the fine print at the edge of the disc is in Portuguese. And the set is on sale!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#156 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 pm

> La Noche de Enfrente

Just saw this at the Brattle Theater. A marvelous film. Too bad it is the last.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Raoul Ruiz on DVD

#157 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Is anyone familiar with this set, which is an FNAC exclusive? That's a very nice price for all the films contained in the various Portuguese sets, though I wonder whether any of the shorts like Dog's Dialogue might be included.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#158 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 am

swo17 wrote:Is anyone familiar with this set, which is an FNAC exclusive? That's a very nice price for all the films contained in the various Portuguese sets, though I wonder whether any of the shorts like Dog's Dialogue might be included.
To maybe answer my own question, this brief review seems to suggest that the shorts from the Portuguese set (Colloque de chiens and Le film à venir) are included here too.

fatboyslim142

#159 Post by fatboyslim142 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Anyone know where I can get a copy of 'The Mysteries of Lisbon' Mini-series original preferably on Blu-ray?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#160 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm

It's not out on Blu-ray, but you can get it here, or perhaps cheaper direct from the manufacturer.

fatboyslim142

#161 Post by fatboyslim142 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:08 pm

swo17 wrote:It's not out on Blu-ray, but you can get it here, or perhaps cheaper direct from the manufacturer.
Is the series subtitled & are the extras subtitled?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#162 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 pm

The series certainly is. I can't speak for the extras.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#163 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:04 pm

swo17 wrote:Is anyone familiar with this set, which is an FNAC exclusive? That's a very nice price for all the films contained in the various Portuguese sets, though I wonder whether any of the shorts like Dog's Dialogue might be included.
I went out on a limb and ordered this a couple weeks ago, and can now confirm firsthand that Dog's Dialogue is included as an extra and that there are English subs. So basically, it looks like this set is a consolidated French repackaging of these three sets originally released by Clap in Portugal. (Note that Mysteries of Lisbon is the shorter film version.) So if you don't have any of those sets, this is a very good price for all of them. I haven't spent that much time with the set yet, but if anyone has any specific questions about it, let me know.

hearthesilence

#164 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Holy crap, this production is even longer? I'm glad I didn't pick up the Blu-Ray set. How does it compare to the four hour theatrical version?

knives

#165 Post by knives » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#166 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm just noticing that the FNAC set includes one film not in the Portuguese sets, Point de fuite, which I don't believe has been released on DVD anywhere else in the world.

Perkins Cobb

#167 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 pm

swo17 wrote:I'm just noticing that the FNAC set includes one film not in the Portuguese sets, Point de fuite, which I don't believe has been released on DVD anywhere else in the world.
It's in the Raridades set -- they kind of buried it as an extra since the elements are less than ideal.

zedz

#168 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I pegged it as minor, but that was after a single watch, and the elements are very poor (apparently it only survives in a single print with burned-in subs). The French set you got seems to be an unbeatable bargain for 40E.

vsski

#169 Post by vsski » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm

swo17 wrote:I went out on a limb and ordered this a couple weeks ago, and can now confirm firsthand that Dog's Dialogue is included as an extra and that there are English subs. So basically, it looks like this set is a consolidated French repackaging of these three sets originally released by Clap in Portugal. (Note that Mysteries of Lisbon is the shorter film version.) So if you don't have any of those sets, this is a very good price for all of them. I haven't spent that much time with the set yet, but if anyone has any specific questions about it, let me know.
Swo - I'm in France next week and was seriously considering picking up this set. I have only seen a few of Ruiz' films but always wanted to explore more. It looks like a great price / value set. I don't know how much you have dug in yet, but what can you say about A/V quality - I assume they are all PAL discs - and is everyting subtitled in English as the box claims?

knives

#170 Post by knives » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Since it seems like a duplicate of the other sets everything should be english subtitled with the A/V ranging from okay to excellent.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#171 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 am

vsski wrote:Swo - I'm in France next week and was seriously considering picking up this set. I have only seen a few of Ruiz' films but always wanted to explore more. It looks like a great price / value set. I don't know how much you have dug in yet, but what can you say about A/V quality - I assume they are all PAL discs - and is everyting subtitled in English as the box claims?
knives wrote:Since it seems like a duplicate of the other sets everything should be english subtitled with the A/V ranging from okay to excellent.
Yes. I just double checked City of Pirates between this and the Raridades set and they're identical--same (cheesy) menus, same extras, and everything English friendly. They're PAL discs and knives' assessment of the quality is probably accurate. Some of the transfers could perhaps be improved but there is currently no better alternative.

vsski

#172 Post by vsski » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 am

swo17 wrote:
vsski wrote:Swo - I'm in France next week and was seriously considering picking up this set. I have only seen a few of Ruiz' films but always wanted to explore more. It looks like a great price / value set. I don't know how much you have dug in yet, but what can you say about A/V quality - I assume they are all PAL discs - and is everyting subtitled in English as the box claims?
knives wrote:Since it seems like a duplicate of the other sets everything should be english subtitled with the A/V ranging from okay to excellent.
Yes. I just double checked City of Pirates between this and the Raridades set and they're identical--same (cheesy) menus, same extras, and everything English friendly. They're PAL discs and knives' assessment of the quality is probably accurate. Some of the transfers could perhaps be improved but there is currently no better alternative.
Thanks guys - much appreciated. Let's hope I can find them in one of the stores!

MichaelB

#173 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm

I've just ordered it - I only have Le Temps retrouvé to date, plus an off-air recording of the long Mysteries of Lisbon, so overlapping is minimal.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#174 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 pm

If you only have the long TV version of Lisbon, then you're not overlapping in that respect--this set only includes the shorter film version.

MichaelB

#175 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm

swo17 wrote:If you only have the long TV version of Lisbon, then you're not overlapping in that respect--this set only includes the shorter film version.
I know - that's why I mentioned that it was the longer cut.

Cost me just over £40 complete with DHL delivery, which wasn't bad at all for nine films. And Le Temps retrouvé might well be superior to my now ancient Artificial Eye disc.