Raymond Bernard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Tommaso

Re: Raymond Bernard

#26 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Fantastic news. Together with the Epstein set, this means a really brilliant year for French silents.

HerrSchreck

#27 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 pm

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH. . . what Epstein set and what films are in it?

Fantastic news on Bernard of course-- it's a void that's needed filling for quite a long time. CHESS PLAYER (along with early thirties Bernard) is to me the perfect exemplar of what Gance (and L'Herbier) always tried to do but could never pull off 100% successfully: marry the techniques of the avant garde to a melodrama for broadest possible popular consumption. To knock out the devotees of the kind of cinema on display at places like the Théâtre du Vieux-Colombiers as well as regular working men and women, all at once. To make a popular film without surrendering one's aesthetic principles. To prove that the progress taking place in avant circles via handheld, rapid cutting, camera movement, etc, could be employed without sacrifice or dumbdown in popular melodrama. It's something that Dreyer had his heart broken trying to do at the same time via JOAN. It's never an easy thing to do, and many hearts like EvS's were dashed in the attempt. Bernard seemed to do it with a fluidity and an ease, it'll be interesting to see LUPES and others.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:22 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH. . . what Epstein set and what films are in it?
I hope you're sitting down.

HerrSchreck

#29 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:52 pm

(flump)

Holy glickamole! Even better, they're releasing God Bless America by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Seriously, that's fabulous news, especially for the general recognition of the man's work. I've seen all of these, and can say that even some of the more obscure films are in magnificent condition . . something you might not expect for a once-neglected master like Ep.

No mention of extras, but I would love a doco on the man (I do have one, great interviews w his sister, but its unsubbed), or at least on the making of one of his features like USHER, which has needed a new transfer for a good while now. No discredit to the great Kalat bringing this out on All Day, but its in need of updating as there was a lot of digital noise on the otherwise nice transfer (kind of a contradiction in terms but those whove seen it will understand). My guess is that with the coming of this set, the rights issues may have been ironed out, and we may finally see the MoC Usher (plus others?) come out, and perhaps even--strap me in--dare I dream?--a CC or Eclipse edition on the horizon?

Come on, CC you owe us all one for 1) baiting us then not coming thru with Grem on Eclipse, and 2) you know, that thing with the Furniture and all.

Tommaso

#30 Post by Tommaso » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Very well said about CC, but I'm ready to forgive them everything they did or not did if they actually release Fejös' "Lonesome" (and remember that MoC shied away from it even though they had already prepared what would have been the greatest cover design in their whole history).

And yes, some of the Epsteins floating around look really amazingly good, especially "Mauprat". But it will be a great pleasure to see " L'or des mers" in a good version, finally. And have you really seen "Mor'Vran"!?

HerrSchreck

#31 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I wouldnt lie.

Jonathan S

#32 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 am

Tommaso wrote:Fantastic news. Together with the Epstein set, this means a really brilliant year for French silents.
And don't forget Flicker Alley's Albatros releases, which David Shepard recently confirmed at the end of this interview.
David Shepard wrote:We’re working on Gribiche and La maison du mystère and Les nouveaux messieurs. We licensed a whole package of Albatros films from the Cinémathèque Française. And many of those films were never shown here in the United States, or at least were never revived after they were shown here only in cut versions in the 1920s. But I think there’s enough interest in silent cinema to sustain the release of them.
Other titles he previously mentioned for the main set are Kean, Le Brasier Ardent and Feu Mathias Pascal.

Ann Harding

#33 Post by Ann Harding » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 am

Mr Soulet indicated yesterday that Gaumont is planning to join forces with Pathé (with whom they share an archive building) to produce 2 boxsets per year of silent features. My jaw dropped several inches when I read that. I never thought it would ever happen... I can already see a beautiful boxset of Fescourt's Les Misérables. :P
BTW it's only at the planning stage, but I hope it will really happen.

whaleallright

#34 Post by whaleallright » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:42 pm

That is great news -- hopefully they will get farther into that series than Gaumont did with their magnificent "Le cinéma premier" sets, the third of which was supposed to feature films by the "impressionists" or the narrative avant-garde.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#35 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 16, 2012 11:41 am

In case the little note on the Gaumont thread was missed a RB box in November (subject to final approval of materials) includes-
Le Miracle des Loups
LE JOUEUR D'ECHECS
TARAKANOVA

This and Epstein in the same month? Who'd of Adam and Eve'd it?

Ann Harding

#36 Post by Ann Harding » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 am

Ann Harding wrote:According to Jérôme Soulet from Gaumont, there is a plan to release 3 Raymond Bernard silents in the last quarter of 2012. No details regarding the titles. But, I would guess that Le miracle des loups, Le joueur d'échecs and Tarakanova are probably the titles in question. I'll keep you informed when more details become available.
The Bernard DVD boxset is scheduled for November 7th (with the three above mentioned films).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#37 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am

Specs are up for the box
http://boutique.gaumont.fr/fr/produit_5 ... mmande.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lubitsch

#38 Post by lubitsch » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Specs are up for the box
http://boutique.gaumont.fr/fr/produit_5 ... mmande.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With English subs, that's a rare and unexpected pleasure from a French DVD.

Tommaso

#39 Post by Tommaso » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Let's just hope they've also subbed the extras. Great set in any case.

triodelover

#40 Post by triodelover » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Does anyone know if Le joueur d'échecs is a new restoration or a recycling of the same materials used for the Milestone release?

Ann Harding

#41 Post by Ann Harding » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm

triodelover wrote:Does anyone know if Le joueur d'échecs is a new restoration or a recycling of the same materials used for the Milestone release?
It will be the same Photoplay restoration. But it won't be the NTSC transfer used by Milestone. It will be a genuine PAL original with French titles and the great Henri Rabaud score (restored by Carl Davis).

triodelover

#42 Post by triodelover » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Thank you, Ann. A must buy, then.

HerrSchreck

#43 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Manna from the fucking heavens.. I've been needing to see WOLVES for like EVER!

Truly excellent little set for a neglected master.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#44 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:49 am

Little note on the Miserables resto being shown at the Lumiere Festival Lyon shortly alongside restos of Ophuls, Clouzot and Renoir's Golden Coach
http://www.forgottensilver.net/2012/08/ ... restauree/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forgottensilver.net/2012/09/ ... 12-a-lyon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ann Harding

#45 Post by Ann Harding » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:26 am

I got an advance copy of the Raymond Bernard box for a review. I can confirm the presence of English subs on all films. The print for Miracle des loups is superb. For Le Joueur d'échecs, it's the original Photoplay PAL master. And Tarakanova is a new digital transfer, a little soft and grainy, but a hundred times better than the horrid CF print I saw a few years back. I'll give you the link to the review when it comes online.

Ann Harding

#46 Post by Ann Harding » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 am

Tommaso

#47 Post by Tommaso » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 am

Thank you for your review, Ann Harding. They should have asked you to write the liner notes, in fact, as the review of "Le miracle de loups" contains all the necessary background information that is so sorely missing from the skimpy booklet.

I've only seen "Miracle" so far, and while it looks stunning (both the cinematography and the fabulous restoration), I'm inclined to side with Abel Gance's verdict that you quote. The film is too much of a historical pageant and not enough of an engaging drama for me. That probably not too many people outside of France are familiar with these historical characters - all introduced within only minutes, right at the beginning - doesn't help either. After a while I gave up trying to sort out who are the good and who are the bad guys and just gave in to the excellent visuals, of which there are plenty. The most impressive may be the scene with Jehanne and the wolves, but the theatrical performance earlier in the film and the general richness of the costumes make up for the somewhat conventional character of the film (mid-1910s Griffith indeed). Well worth watching, but give me "Le joueur d'échecs" over it any time. Now I'm looking forward to seeing "Tarakanova"...

Ann Harding

#48 Post by Ann Harding » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 am

Tommaso wrote:Thank you for your review, Ann Harding. They should have asked you to write the liner notes, in fact, as the review of "Le miracle de loups" contains all the necessary background information that is so sorely missing from the skimpy booklet.
Thanks Tommaso. I also complained in my review about the 'skimpy booklet' and the miserable piano reduction instead of the original orchestral score. And the head of Gaumont classic DVD said my criticisms were justified.

Tommaso

#49 Post by Tommaso » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:07 pm

I actually had no problem with the piano reduction in this case. Getting an orchestra into the studio is certainly quite a financial investment which perhaps isn't returned. I'd love to have the orchestral score, too, but it's much better only to have a piano score than not releasing a film at all, like FWMS do with "Grieshuus".

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#50 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Les Mis on blu. That cover art has me shuddering a bit. A portent of things to come? Despite some favourable noises coming from festival showings I just hope the Samourai/Enfants team were out of town when this one came down the pipe.
http://www.amazon.fr/Miserables-1933-di ... B00F8MJE66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;