Joe Dante

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Joe Dante

#151 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am

Limited edition Blu-Ray of Hollywood Blvd via Scorpion coming this week, available on Diabolik or from Code Red's Big Cartel if you like to live dangerously

Brand New HD master from the original Negatives with over 25plus hours of scene to scene color correction

Feature Length Commentary with Directors Joe Dante & Allan Arkush and Producer Jon Davison

Brand New on camera interviews with:
Joe Dante
Roger Corman
Allan Arkush and Jon Davison
Mary Woronov
Jeffrey Kramer
Miller Drake

Trailers from Hell with Jon Davison

Original Trailer

limited to 1500 units

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#152 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:44 am

Dante has directed an upcoming episode of Salem, which in true Dante style will guest star Richard Picardo

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#153 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Dante shares his favorites films, including many Criterion titles

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#154 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Bill Hader is playing Roger Corman at a live reading of the Man With Kaleidoscope Eyes' script, directed by Dante

Dylan

#156 Post by Dylan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 am

Chris Columbus has written a screenplay for Gremlins 3

If this incarnation of Gremlins 3 actually goes forward, hopefully Joe Dante will be asked to direct.

Roger Ryan

#157 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 am

I wonder if Columbus has Daniel Clamp becoming the U.S. President!

Dylan

#158 Post by Dylan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:26 am

Forbes interview with Joe Dante and Mick Garris about their upcoming anthology horror film, Nightmare Cinema

When asked about Gremlins 3, Dante had this to say:
I probably have less information to give you than anybody because I am not involved with it, I don't control the material, it's reverted back to Chris Columbus who wrote the script for the first movie. They have plans to do something but what Chris wants to do may not be what Warner wants to do and it's not just Warner it's also a lot of other people like Amblin and Steven Spielberg - everyone has to agree on what they want to do and at this point nobody is going to figure that out. I think the reuniting of the cast is highly unlikely. Perhaps a Gremlins prequel might be something they will do but I don't know as I was not asked to be involved.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#159 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Trailers From Hell is pleased to announce our new official podcast, The Movies That Made Me! Every week you can join Oscar-nominated screenwriter Josh Olson and his, ummm, “co-host” Joe Dante in conversation with filmmakers, comedians, and all-around interesting people about the movies that made them who they are.

In our very first episode, Josh and Joe sit down with filmmaker Miguel Arteta (Beatriz at Dinner, Duck Butter, Chuck and Buck) to discuss the long, boisterous, well-rounded career of the great Russ Meyer.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#160 Post by FigrinDan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Joe Dante was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year's Fantasia International Film Festival. Glad to see he's receiving some recognition.
Although his name doesn't necessarily come to mind when thinking of "great" directors, he has a pretty solid genre oeuvre. I've always loved The 'Burbs and have a soft spot for Explorers and several other films.

Joe Dante Lifetime Achievement Award Video

Adam X

#161 Post by Adam X » Fri May 01, 2020 7:26 am

UK publisher PS Publishing is planning on releasing Tim Lucas' novelisation (?) of The Man With Kaleidoscope Eyes. Not quite a film but...
in their latest newsletter they wrote:[From Tim Lucas] "Some years ago, Joe [Dante] asked [co-writer] Charlie [Largent] and me if we could think of any creative ways to attract new attention to our project.

With their approval, I volunteered to write a novelization of the script—but it became something more than that. To me, it’s the novel our script might have been based upon. The script had to be written to a set budget, whereas the novel was free to envision the story without practical limits. I was able to recreate the Sunset Strip of 1967 during its curfew riots; I was able to use any expensive Sixties music I wanted; I was also able to reinstate a timeline of events, which somehow never quite worked in the script. Most importantly, in the novel I was able to get inside the heads of my principal characters: Corman, his longtime assistant Frances Doel, actor Peter Fonda, screenwriter Chuck Griffith, filmmaking hopeful Peter Bogdanovich, and of course, Jack Nicholson. If and when the film gets made, I’m sure it will be a wonderful surprise in its own right because Joe’s movies are always wonderful, but in the meantime—and, hopefully, to that end—there is now THE MAN WITH KALEIDOSCOPE EYES, the novel.

It might be something new to English literature—a novel involving real (and living!) people, meticulously researched yet also imaginative, sometimes reassembling facts into fantasy and vice versa. It functions simultaneously as fiction and non-fiction, comedy and drama, film history and criticism, even poetry and philosophy. It’s not just a book about Roger Corman and an outstanding cast of supporting characters; it’s a novel about Hollywood when it stood poised between the collapse of the studio system and the rise of the independent film movement, a monumental change for which Corman was partly responsible; it’s about the risks and challenges artists must sometimes face if they want to advance to the next plateau; it’s also a romantic story about finding the courage to change your world."

[...] In the meantime, the manuscript is with Roger Corman and his wife Julie, who gave us their blessing: “I think your book is a marvel,” said Julie Corman.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#162 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2020 8:05 am

Dante being unable to secure funding to make what would be a perfect late period swan song is so depressing

Adam X

#163 Post by Adam X » Fri May 01, 2020 11:08 am

I know. Some filmmakers seem able to find funding to continue on downward into mediocrity. Others, like Dante, can’t seem to get anything financed. I guess he at least isn’t stuck making zombie films; and ‘The Movies That Made Me’ podcast is pretty enjoyable. He’s a fount of knowledge, and tells it well.

Professor Wagstaff

#164 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 am

Bummer. I had hoped that they could get it funded with Bill Hader in the lead after Barry and It: Chapter 2 boosted his popularity even further.

hearthesilence

#165 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:40 am

I watched the Twilight Zone movie again, and I tried watching the original episodes that formed the basis for Joe Dante and George Miller's segments - Dante's segment feels even more inspired as a result and seems by far the best one of the four IMHO. Miller's direction is wonderful, but there isn't a whole lot that had to be changed from the original's script - it's a triumph of style and execution. Dante completely re-invents the episode he's adapting and makes it highly personal. I was thoroughly impressed - possibly one of the best things he's ever done.

therewillbeblus

#166 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 am

Timely thread bump, we’ve been talking a lot about Joe Dante tonight after starting Eerie, Indiana which my girlfriend immediately connected to our Halloween viewing of Matinee without me name-dropping the connection (a proud moment). The show is great so far, but if anything tops the dog episode I’ll be surprised. Few things have made me laugh that hard- especially the random pit stop at a three part harmony of Dem Bones that doesn’t gel with the maniacal plotting found literally everywhere else

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#167 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 am

The dog episode IS the best one, especially its darkly comic ending. Lots of fun ideas throughout the series though, many playing on the kinds of questions kids ask adults, who in turn have no clue ("Where do the missing socks go?" "Why do we observe Daylight Savings Time?" "What is credit?" etc). Bob Balaban also directed a few episodes

therewillbeblus

#168 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:47 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 am
The dog episode IS the best one, especially its darkly comic ending.
Thank god for removable retainers! Save the Children

Roger Ryan

#169 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:41 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:40 am
I watched the Twilight Zone movie again, and I tried watching the original episodes that formed the basis for Joe Dante and George Miller's segments - Dante's segment feels even more inspired as a result and seems by far the best one of the four IMHO. Miller's direction is wonderful, but there isn't a whole lot that had to be changed from the original's script - it's a triumph of style and execution. Dante completely re-invents the episode he's adapting and makes it highly personal. I was thoroughly impressed - possibly one of the best things he's ever done.
Completely agree. Dante's segment was always the standout; worth a new version just for the added humor, the incredible art direction and visual effects, and time spent with some Dante regulars in the cast. Miller's take on "Nightmare at 40,000 Feet" is fine (and, yes, the gremlin looks considerably better than that seemingly pajama-clad whats-it from the original). However, Spielberg's remake of "Kick The Can" is actually quite a bit worse than the original, substituting sentimentality and corny humor in place of the loneliness, detachment, and regret that the original emphasizes to heartbreaking effect.

Maltic

#170 Post by Maltic » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:48 pm

The Landis and Spielberg segments are so poor they serve well as the setup for Dante's and Miller's segments.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#171 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:59 pm

I believe Spielberg was originally going to do something a lot more adventurous but was so shaken by those on-set deaths that he opted to keep things small-scale

clownmeat

#172 Post by clownmeat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:01 pm

Related but slightly off-topic: although thuddingly obvious in hindsight, it was only recently I learned Sally Cruikshank was the animator for Dante's segment.

I love both segments and am a big Dante fan, but Jerry Goldsmith's 'Danse Macabre' spin on 'Nightmare' slaps hard so I'm gonna have to give this the edge.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#173 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:42 pm

Also, having now seen it on real menus in restaurants, apparently peanut butter does make the burger!

hearthesilence

#174 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm

A bit off-topic, but when I was a kid, I remember some fair or carnival in Illinois serving hot dogs with peanut butter (either a line of peanut butter balls or dabs on top of the entire length of the link), and it was actually GOOD.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:58 pm

Real talk on the opposite end of the PBJ spectrum: grape jelly is delicious on hot dogs