Steven Soderbergh

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
wattsup32

Re: Soderbergh B-sides

#76 Post by wattsup32 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:33 am

domino harvey wrote:It must be amazing to have so much energy! For what it's worth, I've been told by a lot of people that these books are actually good or at least better than you'd think
It is a shame that these books fall in the "Young Adult Fiction" category. Aside from the age of the leads, the books have no business in that category. They are dark, brutal, and violent. They are really terrific and well worth reading.

GaryC

#77 Post by GaryC » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am

wattsup32 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:It must be amazing to have so much energy! For what it's worth, I've been told by a lot of people that these books are actually good or at least better than you'd think
It is a shame that these books fall in the "Young Adult Fiction" category. Aside from the age of the leads, the books have no business in that category. They are dark, brutal, and violent. They are really terrific and well worth reading.
Young-adult fiction is a personal (and hopefully one day professional) interest of mine - I've read The Hunger Games and its two sequels, and I'm not the only adult I know to have done so. Given that they're in the 14+ reading-age end of YA (a "Teen" age band on the UK covers) there's nothing that should preclude teenage readers, nor is it more violent than other YAs I've read. Worldbuilding is a bit shaky, and the whole premise is derivative of Battle Royale, Punishment Park and the like, but I did enjoy them, especially the first.

Jeff

#79 Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 pm

The Playlist has a great, lengthy interview with Soderbergh. About half of it focuses on Haywire, but the rest is on his career in general.

knives

#80 Post by knives » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:12 am

Is the King of the Hill DVD okay (at least) quality? It's cheap as dirt, but I would like to know that it's OAR ect.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:39 am

I have a R2 Universal DVD of Danish/Nordic (?) origin and I suspect it's an exact port, so yeah

Forrest Taft

#82 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Jacey Cockrobin wrote:
Cosmic Bus wrote:...Or the recut. Didn't Soderbergh finish up a new cut of Kafka late last year?
Kafka update- not due for a couple years, new reshoots, vague hint at Criterion release?

http://www.rowthree.com/2010/05/19/dire ... n-the-way/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still working of Kafka:
Steven Soderbergh wrote:Well, I’m remaking—it’s been a long process—but I’m overhauling Kafka completely. It’s funny—wrapping a movie 22 years later! But the rights had reverted back to me and Paul Rassam, an executive producer, and he said, “I know you were never really happy with it. Do you want to go back in and play around?” We shot some inserts while we were doing Side Effects. I’m also dubbing the whole thing into German so the accent issue goes away. And Lem and I have been working on recalibrating some of the dialogue and the storytelling. So it’s a completely different movie. The idea is to put them both out on disc.

Professor Wagstaff

#83 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm

That whole article at Vulture is in-depth and worth reading. Soderbergh's openness and insight into his career and filmmaking is refreshing.

colinr0380

#84 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm a big fan of Kafka, so I'll be glad to see this 'finished' version! Although I am very grateful that there is going to be the option to see both the newer version and the original theatrical one both for posterity and comparison purposes.

I particularly like these sections from the article:
And what was that reason?
It’s a combination of wanting a change personally and of feeling like I’ve hit a wall in my development that I don’t know how to break through. The tyranny of narrative is beginning to frustrate me, or at least narrative as we’re currently defining it. I’m convinced there’s a new grammar out there somewhere. But that could just be my form of theism.
Given how often you layer and deconstruct scenes in your films, I’m curious if you’ve ever worked in collage. Maybe I’m being too literal.
Actually, I’ve got a big collage in L.A. I was sitting in an airport reading Us Weekly one day, and I realized all the hours of my life I’d spent reading tabloid magazines. I thought: I can’t have wasted all that time! So I spent six months building this six-foot-by-nine-foot collage of people on the red carpet. It was really fun.

You’ve spent hours of your life reading Us?
That shit is made to be read in an airport!
...When movies and shows make money, the profits go right back into making more movies and shows, because the stock price is all about market share. And these people excel at problem-solving—that’s 99 percent of the job. I look at Hurricane Katrina, and I think if four days before landfall you gave a movie studio autonomy and a 100th of the billions the government spent on that disaster, and told them, “Lock this place down and get everyone taken care of,” we wouldn’t be using that disaster as an example of what not to do. A big movie involves clothing, feeding, and moving thousands of people around the world on a tight schedule. Problems are solved creatively and efficiently within a budget, or your ass is out of work. So when I look at what’s going on in the government, the gridlock, I think, Wow, that’s a really inefficient way to run a railroad.
I'm obviously biased, but Soderbergh really sounds as if he should do a J.G. Ballard adaptation!

The Narrator Returns

#85 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm a bit surprised that in a thread called "Soderbergh B-sides," no one has mentioned (or if they have, I'm too lazy to go back and see for sure) the ultimate Soderbergh B-side, Yes: 9012Live. Of course, this might be because it shares almost no similarities to any other Soderbergh film (okay, maybe Gray's Anatomy, due to their use of educational films). It also has lots of video effects, including split screen, stock footage inserted for whatever reason, and footage of the band flying through an endless hallway, filled with characters from educational films. None of these techniques have dated well. At all. Thankfully, the DVD also includes a "Director's Cut" (suggesting even Soderbergh is kind of embarrassed by it) that just plays the concert without any effects (the concert is a very good one, and one that does definitely play better when it doesn't look like it's being directed by a Video Toaster), as well as the short mockumentary "Access All Areas," which actually does share some similarities with Soderbergh's other work (including elliptical editing and a look at the mundane realities of interesting occupations).

beamish13

#86 Post by beamish13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:32 am

Perhaps Soderbergh isn't out for the count just yet. It seems like THE SOT-WEED FACTOR may still be on the horizon as a TV miniseries

The Fanciful Norwegian

#87 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 am

Soderbergh has already left the door open to doing TV after his "retirement" -- he said so last year and makes it even more explicit at the beginning of the Vulture interview mentioned above. Even if the Sot-Weed adaptation isn't Soderbergh (but who else could it be?), I think a TV series/miniseries is a matter of when, not if.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm

According to a review on Amazon, the Echo Bridge Blu-ray of Full Frontal is an alternate cut running ten minutes longer than the earlier DVD release. And it's only $4.99 pre-order right now on Amazon

knives

#89 Post by knives » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Does it make mention of if both cuts are included?

The Narrator Returns

#90 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

The original cut is only included with Soderbergh commentary.

Oedipax

#91 Post by Oedipax » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:17 am

Damn, he's revising his work all over the place. Interesting.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#92 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 am

We can only hope his retirement will prove as fruitful as George Lucas's.

Jeff

#93 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm

hearthesilence

#94 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Christ, that's sad. I fucking hate what's become of Hollywood. People used to bitch and moan about how awful studio films were in the '80s, but now may be the worst its ever been. I was never self-conscious about the nationality of my film choices until some friends of my brother's came into town over Christmas break. (FWIW, he's not exactly a cinephile, he's closer friends with them, but we're all mutual friends.) I was showing them around town for much of the week, and at one point, I went to see Playtime at Lincoln Center. I posted something about it on Facebook, then the next morning when we met up for breakfast, one of them mentioned the post and asked "Do you see a lot of foreign films?" I never thought about it until that moment, but even when I got into films in high school, a strong majority of what I saw was made by a major studio, moreso if we're talking new releases. Now, the ratio's completely flipped around, the overwhelming majority of new releases that I do see are made elsewhere.

The Narrator Returns

#96 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Behind the Candelabra is fucking fantastic. Soderbergh's best since The Informant!. If he goes out like this, I would have no problems.

sighkingu

#97 Post by sighkingu » Fri May 31, 2013 5:33 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Behind the Candelabra is fucking fantastic. Soderbergh's best since The Informant!. If he goes out like this, I would have no problems.
Happy to say I enjoyed this after feeling a bit let down by Side Effects.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#98 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:13 pm

I loved Side Effects probably a little more but yes, Behind the Candelabra was fantastic. Lots of nice casting choices-- Rob Lowe's hilariously grotesque plastic surgeon and passe sitcomers like Paul Reiser and Mike O'Malley, of course, but I gasped when reading who played Liberace's mother in the end credits! This never had a chance of being theatrically released in the US, where it would have been NC-17, but HBO seems awfully proud (as they should be) of funding this swan song.

Kind of sad to think I've now seen every theatrical Soderbergh film that ever was or will be, but at least he's still keeping busy with TV, Broadway, &c

knives

#99 Post by knives » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 am

I can't find any information about this beyond it being an Alphaville homage, but apparently did a short back on '06 that doesn't seem to have gotten any mention here called Building No. 7. Pretty nifty all in all.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 am

It's from one of the first issues of Wholphin. I remember buying it specifically for the Soderbergh short. I... don't think it's very good though, ha