Steven Soderbergh

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Steven Soderbergh

#176 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:42 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm
Has he ever talked about wanting to do a horror movie?
He just made one

flyonthewall2983

#177 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 pm

I blanked on that one.

whaleallright

#178 Post by whaleallright » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:12 pm

I'm surprised nobody posted this here. TLDR: Brian De Palma makes an unsolicited dig at Steven Soderbergh, saying
“Steven Soderbergh, a visual director? Are you kidding?” De Palma said. “Give me an example of a great, visually memorable scene [from] Soderbergh or a silent sequence based on the staging…I saw an episode of ‘The Knick’ and there is nothing that [impressed me visually].”
I admire both directors, but I have to say this reflects poorly on De Palma (whose career effectively cratered around the same time Soderbergh's really took off, for what it's worth). Reading into his comments a bit, I'm inclined to think that De Palma (never, to say the least, the subtlest of directors) seems to mistake the sort of bravura effects for which he's known (dolly-zooms, split-focus shots, overhead shots, Steadicam marathons, etc.) with "visually memorable" cinema.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#179 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:15 pm

diamonds

#180 Post by diamonds » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

That "powerhouse" cast for The Laundromat has been revealed: Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, and David Schwimmer. Netflix to finance and distribute.
Last edited by diamonds on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Why is "powerhouse" in quotes?

diamonds

#182 Post by diamonds » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm

That's the word they had used to describe it before. Didn't mean to imply otherwise haha.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#183 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#184 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Steven Soderbergh was on Bill Simmons' podcast on Monday and they spoke for over an hour about a number of topics. Simmons still has the same 80s and 90s points of reference that are tiresome to listen to, but he does a pretty good job of conducting an interview here. He and Soderbergh discuss distribution models at length, and I found one point particularly compelling - when he stated that by Friday at noon after he saw early numbers for Logan Lucky and Unsane, he wanted to essentially beg to be allowed to just drop each film on streaming and be done with it instead of letting them die on the vine in theaters. It doesn't sound like he's going to go down that road for a third time.

Also, when asked what film in the last several years he is the "most jealous of," he responded with Under the Skin, which is a very Soderberghian answer considering some of the fourth wall breaking that goes on in the production and execution of that film. Stated that Glazer has made three perfect films, and that Birth is "as close to a Stanley Kubrick film" as we've gotten since his death.

I still struggle with Under the Skin to some degree but I cannot argue with Soderbergh on much of that.

Oh, and "for the first time in I don't know how long," he doesn't know what he's doing next. Has a few options, but has no idea what's coming after The Laundromat.

chiendent

#185 Post by chiendent » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 pm

He also mentioned almost being brought in last-minute on a big project that instead ended up getting delayed a year or so but obviously couldn't say what it was. I know this kind of stuff must happen all the time but I'm pretty curious.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#186 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, that's a key detail, thanks for the reminder!

Another tidbit that has me wondering: Apparently he showed the [then] final cut one of his films to a director friend, and the director pulled him aside and said that he must scrap and redo the score. Despite there being very little time to do so, he took the advice. Wonder which one that was?

The Narrator Returns

#187 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Cliff Martinez was doing the score for Out of Sight so close to its release that he's credited on the poster, so I imagine it's that. Either that or The Good German, which had a David Holmes score that was replaced by Thomas Newman's.

The Narrator Returns

#188 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Listening to the podcast now, and it's almost certainly The Good German for how Soderbergh talks about it having no commercial prospects.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#189 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

flyonthewall2983

#190 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Watched The Limey for the first time in awhile. The whole veneer of boomer regret feels more or as prescient now. The lamentation may be towards Wilson's daughter, but in a larger respect it feels like one towards how "they blew it" for themselves and future generations too.

hearthesilence

#191 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:04 pm

A 20th anniversary screening of The Limey will take place at Lincoln Center on Thu., Dec. 19, at 7:30pm

They will screen the brand new 4K restoration followed by a Q&A with Steven Soderbergh, Luis Guzmán, Lesley Ann Warren, and editor Sarah Flack.

whaleallright

#192 Post by whaleallright » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 pm

why do we use the word "restoration" for every new DCP of an older 35mm film? what qualifies this as a "restoration"? what was missing or lacking that has been "restored"?

not trying to pick on heartthesilence, I'm just really weary of this.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#193 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:32 pm

A quality level closer to the original source?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#194 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:38 pm

whaleallright wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:07 pm
why do we use the word "restoration" for every new DCP of an older 35mm film? what qualifies this as a "restoration"? what was missing or lacking that has been "restored"?

not trying to pick on heartthesilence, I'm just really weary of this.
I know a few archivists and can answer this from what work I know they do. With something like this, the “restoration” means that they probably went to the original camera negative, did a new scan and did any level of digital fixes to remove specs and dust. Knowing Soderbergh, I’m sure there’s a small tweak here and there as well. If the film was available on DCP, it was probably an older scan. If it was available on film only, it was either only available in mass produced prints from the studio or from certain archives and probably have an amount of wear that would necessitate new prints being struck. The printing process also puts a certain amount of wear on any negative, so it’s also a chance to create a digital master from that print.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#195 Post by tenia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:27 am

L'atelier d'images planned to release it on BD in France last year but cancelled it because of the available mediocre source.

flyonthewall2983

#196 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I hope Lionsgate isn't only releasing it on 4K streaming

whaleallright

#197 Post by whaleallright » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:47 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:38 pm
With something like this, the “restoration” means that they probably went to the original camera negative, did a new scan and did any level of digital fixes to remove specs and dust. Knowing Soderbergh, I’m sure there’s a small tweak here and there as well.
This is a matter of opinion, I suppose, but I don't think a new scan and some routine clean-up (which is often invasive IMO) merits the term "restoration," especially when, as you suggest, certain things are likely to be changed from the film's original release. In the 1980s and 1990s, the term "restoration" seemed to be largely limited to projects where a film had been circulating in mutilated versions and was newly "restored" to something like it's original form (e.g., Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Leopard, L'Atalante...).

At risk of sounding really whiny about something that isn't really very important (in the grand scheme of things), the overuse of the term "restoration" threatens to diminish or even trivialize the intense work that went into salvaging films like Vampyr or Metropolis — and make it hard for the (ahem) "consumer" to distinguish between meritorious projects like those and the more dubious value of only being able to see a film in a "stunning new 4k DCP." (I'd rather pay to watch a 1999-vintage 35mm release print of The Limey than anything digital.)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#198 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:07 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#200 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:04 pm

We know he loves Guided by Voices. For years he tried to make a Cleopatra musical starring Catherine Zeta-Jones using GBV songs jukebox style, which is one of the craziest missed opportunities in the history of cinema

EDIT the comment I was replying to got deleted, it asked if Soderbergh listened to music

EDIT No. 2: Here’s an exhaustive breakdown of the history of the project and a competing Angelina Jolie-starring version