Agnès Varda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Adam X

Re: Agnes Varda

#26 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:50 am

for those that have seen them, do the Cine Tamaris releases contain English subtitles for the extras, as well as the main feature/s?

and how's the picture/sound quality compared to, say, the Criterion&Zeitgeist releases of Varda's films?
cheers

and damn annoyed with myself for missing BEACHES OF AGNES at the recent local film fest, along with many others

zedz

#27 Post by zedz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:for those that have seen them, do the Cine Tamaris releases contain English subtitles for the extras, as well as the main feature/s?
Of the Varda titles, I only have the shorts collection, which is, as I recall, fully subtitled (every short plus Varda's pixieish intros). The Demy set only subtitled the features and shorts, not the supplements, but I have a faint memory that somebody here reported that the Varda box was supposed to be fully subbed (features and supplements).

Zazou dans le Metro

#28 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:56 pm

zedz wrote:
Adam Grikepelis wrote:for those that have seen them, do the Cine Tamaris releases contain English subtitles for the extras, as well as the main feature/s?
Of the Varda titles, I only have the shorts collection, which is, as I recall, fully subtitled (every short plus Varda's pixieish intros). The Demy set only subtitled the features and shorts, not the supplements, but I have a faint memory that somebody here reported that the Varda box was supposed to be fully subbed (features and supplements).
I don't know if anyone's in a position to specify the subtitling. I heard again from Tamaris today that the box will only go 'into production' during 2010.
Beaches is in preparation for Christmas 2009.

Adam X

#29 Post by Adam X » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 am

zedz wrote:Of the Varda titles, I only have the shorts collection, which is, as I recall, fully subtitled (every short plus Varda's pixieish intros). The Demy set only subtitled the features and shorts, not the supplements, but I have a faint memory that somebody here reported that the Varda box was supposed to be fully subbed (features and supplements).
thanks Zedz, it's good to know. I imagine regardless of knowledge about subs for the box set, if the rest of the Varda releases are subtitled like the shorts collection, then the box set would naturally be the same (touch wood).

I gather 2010 is the nearest guess as to a realease date so far? still find myself interested in the Criterion set, even if just for what seems to be the only English-friendly release of my favourite Varda film, Le Bonheur.
and though I don't have much interest in Demy, would love to see Jacquot de Nantes eventually, if only for Agnes Godard's cinematography.

Zazou dans le Metro

#30 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 am

Anyone in London in mid-October will be able to pick up on a talk from Auntie Agnes about her life and work.
http://www.friezefoundation.org/talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zazou dans le Metro

#31 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Beaches is out on DVD from CineTamaris. English friendly with a couple of bonus shorts and more importantly FRIDGE MAGNETS!!
Now you're not gonnae get them with your AE box set.
http://www.cine-tamaris.com/film.php?id=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

doc mccoy

#32 Post by doc mccoy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 am

I want to order the Agnes Varda shorts from Cine-tamaris - but I don't know much about it. Do they use secure servers for payment transactions and how much do they charge for p&p?

RobertB

#33 Post by RobertB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 am

I've got the Criterion box and really loved Vagabond. And I also enjoyed Cleo and Bonheur a lot. So I'm planning on getting Varda Collection 2 from Artificial Eye. Any reason to get #1 as well? Would look good in my collection, but I won't do it unless it has better picture and extras. I already have The Gleaners from USA. I apologize if this has been covered in some other thread. I tried finding comparisons on DVD-beaver, but couldn't find any.

doc mccoy

#34 Post by doc mccoy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 am

Given that you already have the Criterion box set and the Gleaners separately, I don't think there is much point in getting AE box #1; I don't have screen-caps for comparison, but Criterion always trumps AE for picture quality and extras.

Having said that, AE trumps Criterion for price - when first I got AE box #1, I only paid £10 (but it has gone back up in price to about £25), whereas the Criterion is about 80-90$ - they share the same films (except Criterion has Vagabond; AE instead has the Gleaners) and the same extras, but Criterion has more special features. I was so impressed by the shorts that I'm currently trying to order Varda Tous Courts, but I don't know the best place to order it from.

montgomery

#35 Post by montgomery » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:59 am

I ordered it from Cine-Tamaris. Great DVD. Don't remember the shipping price, but I think it was reasonable and I received it quickly. I'm pretty sure it's a secure payment. (I posted on the last page that the shipping price went up to almost 300 euros when I tried to order it from Cine-Tamaris, but it was a temporary malfunction on their site.)

doc mccoy

#36 Post by doc mccoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Monty,

Thanks for the info - I also meant to ask whether you got it by regular post or courier.

LQ

#37 Post by LQ » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 am

For anyone in the DC area, there will be a free screening of selected Varda shorts on Feb. 13th at the National Gallery East.

JAP

#38 Post by JAP » Wed May 12, 2010 8:40 am

The latest newsletter from Ciné-Tamaris announces that Varda's complete work will be available May 18 at The Auteurs. 35 movies, some of them unreleased on DVD (L'une chante, l'autre pas; Kung Fu Master; Jane B. para Agnès V.)

Matt

#39 Post by Matt » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am

That's fantastic news for people who want to watch top notch cinema as YouTube videos for $5 a pop.

prokosch

#40 Post by prokosch » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 am

I say "yay" -- I'll finally have a not-so-complicated way to see Jane B. par Agnès V.

Matt

#41 Post by Matt » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

Yeah, I'm just being snippy. It's actually great news that people will finally have a chance to see these easily in some form.

Zot!

#42 Post by Zot! » Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm

At least one other outlet for this one at least. I remember liking it on a rented VHS.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10540

Perkins Cobb

#43 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 am

Well, I vill vatch nuthink on the Auteurs, but hopefully what that really means is that Agnes Varda Integrale really will be out sooner rather than later. I just watched L'univers de Jacques Demy in the Demy box, and really have a hankering for Jacquot de Nantes now.

It's remarkable to me how different Demy's and Varda's sensibilities are, and I still think Le Bonheur can be read as a critique (perhaps an anticipatory one) of Demy's interest in artifice. The only point where the two seem to overlap artistically is maybe around Model Shop / Lions Love, and ironically, I believe they were separated for part of their sojourn in Los Angeles.

Sanjuro

#44 Post by Sanjuro » Tue May 18, 2010 2:04 am

When the surge of Varda films hits Mubi sometime today (presumably) are there any recommendations of where to start? Maybe not the 'best' but one or two which would encourage me to splurge on a box set in fine DVD quality.
I've watched the first half hour or so of Lions Love and like what I see so far. Will get back to it this weekend.

(Comments about 'Youtube quality' cinema experiences aren't really useful here - I want to watch some of these films before I spend a lot of money and I can't rent any of them here. Also waiting for the film to download then streaming it through my Oppo Blu-Ray's upscaler looks pretty damn good IMHO).

Matt

#45 Post by Matt » Tue May 18, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm going to assume you've seen the 4 films in the Criterion box set, which is where anyone should start. After that, of the films available right now on Mubi, I'd suggest Daguerréotypes (a loving documentary of Varda's neighborhood); Salut les cubains, a very charming short film mostly composed of still images; and Documenteur, a semi-autobiographical film that's a real downer, but one of the best of Varda's lesser-known films. I can't comment on The Creatures, an extreme rarity that Varda herself dislikes and has effectively suppressed for decades. That will be the first thing I watch, followed by Jane B. by Agnès V. (which I don't think I've seen, but I can't remember).

Duncan Hopper

#46 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Kung Fu Master is getting a nice UK DVD release soon.

zedz

#47 Post by zedz » Tue May 18, 2010 10:53 pm

If CineVardaPhoto is available as a package, that's a lovely programme and a good intro to her documentary / short film work. If it's not, it consists of, in order: Ydessa, the Bears & etc., Ulysses and Salut les cubains! The first two are among my favourite Vardas.

Lino

#48 Post by Lino » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I got more info about the upcoming Intégrale Agnès Varda in my mail box today:
L’Intégrale Agnès Varda sera notre grand projet vidéo courant 2011 ! Et nous devons d’abord commencer par trouver du financement afin de pouvoir proposer boni & inédits pour cette belle occasion.
So, only next year, I'm afraid. By the way, I just watched Lions Love the other day on ARTE and really loved it. It's like a Paul Morrissey movie shot by Varda with Warhol actors thrown in for some good measure. And a lot of improv. Just great and the colors were amazing. Bring on that boxset!

Matt

#49 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:06 pm

That doesn't sound very promising. They haven't even started to find the money to work on it?

Lino

#50 Post by Lino » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm afraid not. Or at least that's what one can assume by reading it. Still, the work on assembling a full-on box must be half way through, if one takes for granted that a big chunk of her filmography is already out on DVD with accompanying extras. From what they say, it's just a matter of finding money to shoot some interviews and other video based extras, plus subtitling them. At least, one assumes so.