Jean Epstein

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Jean Epstein

#151 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:50 pm

zedz wrote:
Drucker wrote:I almost made one of these lists when I made my original sarcastic comment. Borzage blu rays from Carlotta. Mizoguchi from MOC. I could go on.
Lucian Pintilie! Andy Warhol! Lech Majewski! Jose Val del Omar! All those amazing Polish documentarists! I was really only scratching the surface
To say nothing of things like the marvelous Yuri Ilyenko set, which won't even be released by the people who made it! The point being: When a good opportunity presents itself to get a set like this, it's usually a good idea to jump on it. In some cases, you may not get another (or as good of a) chance again.

bearcuborg

#152 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

swo17 wrote:
zedz wrote:
Drucker wrote:I almost made one of these lists when I made my original sarcastic comment. Borzage blu rays from Carlotta. Mizoguchi from MOC. I could go on.
Lucian Pintilie! Andy Warhol! Lech Majewski! Jose Val del Omar! All those amazing Polish documentarists! I was really only scratching the surface
To say nothing of things like the marvelous Yuri Ilyenko set, which won't even be released by the people who made it! The point being: When a good opportunity presents itself to get a set like this, it's usually a good idea to jump on it. In some cases, you may not get another (or as good of a) chance again.
I suppose that's a good point, but my point was that it isn't impossible despite what Ducker said. However, given that it's only going for $80, and you get a nice set - it's a good bargain at this moment.

Back to Epstein though, I never thought I'd see these films after I read about them in high school. There was this great 2 volume set covering filmmakers - the name escapes me. I remember reading how surrealistic Epstein was supposed to be, but I haven't really seen that in the work I've seen in the set. The one film set in the ski lodge is quite nice though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#153 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I just noticed that Intermedio's website shows something related to Epstein as "proximamente" (coming soon).

TMDaines

#154 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:30 am

Looks like the boxset is now perhaps OOP (not available through Amazon directly) and only two parts are available separately (sans French-language book, I presume): Première Vague and Poèmes Bretons. Looks like the Albatros productions are no longer available.

Kicking myself now.

Preston

#155 Post by Preston » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 pm

TMDaines wrote:Looks like the boxset is now perhaps OOP (not available through Amazon directly) and only two parts are available separately (sans French-language book, I presume): Première Vague and Poèmes Bretons. Looks like the Albatros productions are no longer available.

Kicking myself now.
I'm pretty sure the full box set is still available at the Potemkine Boutique. (At least, I can still walk it through the check-out process for shipment to the US with no problems.)

Also, it looks like the Potemkine store at Amazon.fr will also ship it internationally for the same price. (For me, the shipping charges are actually cheaper through Amazon.)

Both these places ship directly from the manufacturer, and while the prices at both are bit higher than I paid for mine six months ago (by about €25), it's still cheaper than paying speculator prices if, indeed, they are out of print. Hope this helps.

TMDaines

#156 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 am

Well the box became available again.

Can either get the Première Vague and Poèmes Bretons sets for 20 euros or the big box for a 100 euros. Basically 60 euros for the Albatros set that was never published separately. A bit annoying.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#157 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am

Coming to Blu on Gaumont in October Finis Terrae and La Femme du bout du monde.
Feel the swo-glow
Last edited by NABOB OF NOWHERE on Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#158 Post by tenia » Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am

Finis Terrae will be a new restoration, it's currently being restored at L'immagine Ritrovata, they had the rolls last week at their Paris office.

lzx

#159 Post by lzx » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:40 pm

The Cinémathèque française has launched a free streaming service, Henri, showcasing restorations in their collection. So far they are spotlighting Epstein. No subtitles, sadly, but at least two out of the three are silent.