Philippe Garrel

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
rockysds

Re: Philippe Garrel

#126 Post by rockysds » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 pm

repeat

#127 Post by repeat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Great news, thank for the heads up - missed this at the festivals (might still get a couple of chances though, but will still probably want to own it). It's been a while since the last English-friendly Garrel DVD (AE's Les amants réguliers?)... wish someone would put out Un été brûlant as well

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#128 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:08 am

repeat wrote:wish someone would put out Un été brûlant as well
MPI already did.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#129 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 am

MPI also put out Frontier of Dawn.

repeat

#130 Post by repeat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 am

Indeed - don't know how those releases passed me by. Thanks!

Ovader

#131 Post by Ovader » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:34 pm

repeat wrote:Indeed - don't know how those releases passed me by. Thanks!
On the first page of this thread the MPI DVDs are provided with individual links in the Filmography.

rockysds

#132 Post by rockysds » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 am

re:voir is releasing Les hautes solitudes on dvd this December, according to their blog.

hamipai00

#133 Post by hamipai00 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:39 am

Les Hautes Solitudes is now available to pre-order from Re:Voir's site:

http://re-voir.com/shop/en/home/460-phi ... 01123.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#134 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:27 pm

hamipai00 wrote:Les Hautes Solitudes is now available to pre-order from Re:Voir's site:

http://re-voir.com/shop/en/home/460-phi ... 01123.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even better: you can pre-order all of Re:Voir's forthcoming releases (including this one) for a knockdown 99E (for 10 DVDs). Here.

Ovader

#135 Post by Ovader » Tue May 12, 2015 11:44 am

French trailer (no English subs) for L'Ombre des femmes. The Wild Bunch film page here.

Ovader

#136 Post by Ovader » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:39 pm

From the trailer of L'astragale it seems Garrel's ex-wife Brigitte Sy may have picked up a few traits from him for her own film. Anyone has seen any of her directing efforts to offer a more substantial assessment?

Ovader

#137 Post by Ovader » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:38 pm

“L'Amant d'un jour” to be shot this May and June.

hearthesilence

#138 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Ovader wrote:“L'Amant d'un jour” to be shot this May and June.
Anyone see this? It's playing at the NYFF, but I haven't been able to make time for it.

I barely have any familiarity with Garrel, but with Metrograph's retrospective just beginning, I'll have to make time to see something - I've been told most of these films aren't easily available in the U.S. (much less in good quality).

FWIW, Dave Kehr's old blog had an interesting thread where they debate the merits of Garrel's work.

Jonathan Rosenbaum also wrote a feature for Sight & Sound discussing his qualified admiration for Garrel.

Oedipax

#139 Post by Oedipax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Anyone see this? It's playing at the NYFF, but I haven't been able to make time for it.
I saw it this past May in Paris with Philippe and Esther Garrel doing a talk/Q&A afterwards - I think Louis Garrel was there too but didn't come up on stage (I didn't see him, but Philippe mentioned he was around). The Q&A was great - someone asked Garrel about financing his recent films, and he started off on a long explanation about the 2008 financial crisis, saying it's why he makes shorter films now, doing only a few takes per scene after rehearsing extensively with the actors for months ahead of time. I don't remember the exact figures, but his shooting ratio is amazingly close to 1:1 in terms of what we see on screen. There are essentially no deleted sequences; he shoots only exactly what he needs, and then assembles the film from his preferred takes within a short post-production period. He brought up Godard in some fashion or another in the course of answering pretty much every question - a constant reference point.

Personally I didn't feel the film stood out very much in the context of Garrel's overall body of work. It's a chamber drama (humorous at times as well) with some good performances, but rather subdued stylistically (although just the baseline of black-and-white 35mm is always pleasant to look at). It's a perfectly watchable film and maybe one I would appreciate more a second time through with my expectations properly calibrated - but I wouldn't think of showing it to anyone as an introduction to his work and why it matters. For that you could start with something like Les amants reguliers (easy enough to get hold of, I would think) but I am personally partial to films like Elle a passé tant d'heures sous les sunlights and Liberté, la nuit which are unfortunately quite a bit more rare.

My favorite works are the ones where he blends his experimental and narrative modes with a heavy autobiographical/home movie bent, transforming them into something utterly unlike anything else in cinema. Sometimes there are passages with no music or sound whatsoever, just a close portrait of a character, which of course becomes a portrait of the actor as well, like Warhol's screen tests. Images sometimes appear seemingly out of any kind of narrative/aesthetic context - glimpses, fragments of something extremely personal and interior that may only be understood by Garrel himself, yet the emotional weight invested in them somehow comes across. Deep melancholy infuses every moment, and you really can sense that for him there is no line whatsoever between his life and his films, he is able to put it all on the screen and evoke all the myriad nuances of depression and grief.

More recently his films have taken on a more 'craftsmanlike' approach - he seems to be in much better spirits, teaching his young acting students and casting many of them in his films. His recent approach to screenwriting, making a point of using men and women to author dialogue within a single script, is certainly commendable and does yield a genuine incisiveness to the dialogues. I just find that, on the whole, the recent trilogy of films rarely reach the same dizzying heights for me. Even the somewhat uneven later films like La frontière de l'aube or Un été brûlant have unforgettable sequences. Still very much a Garrel fan, of course, and wouldn't want him making the same films forever anyway.

dda1996a

#140 Post by dda1996a » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 am

What did you think of Les Hautes solitudes? Mubi was playing three films of his, and while I rather liked the other two I found that was incredibly hard to get into. Like James Benning's Shadows, I found it an interesting experiment theoretically, but not engaging as an actual movie.
What would you say his best film is? Regular Lovers and his early Nico starring experiment are the ones who got my attention (I'm a sucker for any May 68 films)

hearthesilence

#141 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am

Oedipal wrote:...but I am personally partial to films like Elle a passé tant d'heures sous les sunlights and Liberté, la nuit which are unfortunately quite a bit more rare.
Speak of the devil, Metrograph is playing both, with Garrel appearing at tonight's screening of Liberté, la nuit. I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make it to any of Liberté, la nuit's screenings, but I can probably catch the other film since it's actually playing on a weekend.

Apparently many people speak highly of Liberté, la nuit, it seems to be the favorite of his '80s films.

Ovader

#142 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Re-Voir told me today L'ENFANT SECRET is to be released on blu-ray!

Oedipax

#143 Post by Oedipax » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 am

That's amazing news.

furbicide

#144 Post by furbicide » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

Ovader wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 pm
Re-Voir told me today L'ENFANT SECRET is to be released on blu-ray!
Wow. I'm jumping on that one for sure!

Ovader

#145 Post by Ovader » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am

L'ENFANT SECRET slated for release on November 29th.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#146 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Does anyone know if this will have English subtitles?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#147 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm

AFAIK every Re:Voir release has English subtitles if applicable.

Ovader

#148 Post by Ovader » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm
Does anyone know if this will have English subtitles?
My editions of Le Révélateur, Le lit de la Vierge and Marie pour mémoire all have English subs so it's likely they will be consistent with this new addition.

zedz

#149 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm

As above, in my experience with dozens of titles, Re:Voir releases are always bilingual. Even the books / booklets are bilingual.

Ovader

#150 Post by Ovader » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Page is up for L'Enfant secret on the Re-voir website.