Filmmaker Forum Guidelines

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Filmmaker Forum Guidelines

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Welcome to the Filmmakers section of the forum! As of 2018, I'm working on gradually cleaning up this section as much as possible (adding standardized first posts to a few dozen topics, updating another 100 or so that sorely need it, replacing dead links, etc.), and as that process continues, please feel free to reach out with any suggestions, resources, and questions. In addition to the usual forum rules, please take note of some quick parameters for keeping these topics as well-organized, up-to-date, and useful a resource as possible for the community here:

1.) The topics in this section are generally most useful as a collection of resources on a particular filmmaker (mostly directors, though you may find screenwriters, cinematographers, and composers as well), a source of general discussion of broader careers, legacies, and influences, as well as examinations of individual works that don't have a dedicated discussion ongoing elsewhere. As always, posts with simple lists of favorites are strongly discouraged, and there are semi-regular Auteur List Projects that can help you scratch that particular itch.

2.) Use the Filmmaker Forum Index AND the Search function to find established topics before requesting a new one. If you have a question or are looking to comment on a particular film, search for a topic devoted to that film specifically if possible and join the ongoing conversation there. If you find that there isn't a dedicated topic for a filmmaker you want to discuss, but there is scattered discussion of that person across other topics, submit a request to a moderator to consolidate those posts into a single thread, or create a topic in Old Films for that filmmaker and it will either be moved here or integrated into a relevant existing thread as needed. Only moderators (and myself, reachable here) can create threads in this subforum, and they will do so only if that thread is determined not to be redundant or unnecessary.

3.) The first post of each topic is the main repository of information on the subject, and I will attempt to keep existing first posts as updated as possible with the most current information and new links/resources that have been posted in the topic thread. If you have resources or other information you feel should be included in an existing first post, please let me know. Feel free to submit info about current home video release availability for inclusion in the header post, though those by major boutique labels (Criterion, Arrow, Indicator, MOC) should be represented in the Forum Resources section and there are other, more comprehensive and regularly updated sources to find out which label currently has the rights to Hitchcock's 26th-best feature or issued a DVD of a student film in 2001. Streaming availability changes too often to be worth keeping track of here.