Stanley Kubrick

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
criterionsnob

Re: Stanley Kubrick

#326 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 am

Not sure if this has already been posted elsewhere, but Kubrick's Napoleon is to be resurrected in documentary form.

Roger Ryan

#328 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Given his appreciation, I wonder if Kubrick ever considered casting Von Sydow in any of his films.

dadaistnun

#329 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:49 am

From the Eastman House website:
The Shining

(Stanley Kubrick, UK 1980, 142 min.)

An unstable writer (Jack Nicholson) takes a winter caretaking job at a snowed-in mountain lodge, quickly succumbs to “cabin fever” — or is it something far worse? — and terrorizes his hapless wife (Shelley Duvall) and creepy, psychic son (Danny Lloyd). A brilliant study of domestic abuse and possession — demonic, creative, and familial — this is Kubrick’s horror masterpiece as you’ve never seen it, complete with a chilling coda cut from the original release.
Screening October 22 & 23.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#330 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am

What.

Tom Hagen

#331 Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 am

Probably this.

Graham

#332 Post by Graham » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm

There's some stills from that scene in Taschen's giant Kubrick book of Danny in his pyjamas and Wendy in bed. Halloran and the Overlook manager are also there.

Wow, I'd be amazed if after all this time we finally get to see the original ending.

Roger Ryan

#333 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:46 pm

I had assumed that footage was destroyed per the usual story of Kubrick getting rid of his trims and outtakes, but since the footage was physically removed from prints after they had been shipped, I suppose at least of few copies survived.

The idea that the footage was cut by projectionists confirms something I wondered about for years. I saw THE SHINING three times at the same cinema back in the summer of 1980. All three times, the image jittered at the beginning of the final dolly shot into the photograph. I thought perhaps it was an oddly-timed reel change, but I now see it was a less-than-perfect splice done by the projectionist at the Mai Kai Cinema in Livonia, MI!

albucat

#334 Post by albucat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Yale University has a print with the original ending that I've seen. It's interesting historically but taking it out was a wise choice.

Roger Ryan

#335 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 am

Graham wrote:There's some stills from that scene in Taschen's giant Kubrick book of Danny in his pyjamas and Wendy in bed. Halloran and the Overlook manager are also there.
Wait a minute, what would Hallorann be doing in the hospital scene? Is Danny sensing his presence there as a ghost? I'm curious to see the scene, but it does sound like Kubrick was right to cut it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#336 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

Roger Ryan wrote:Wait a minute, what would Hallorann be doing in the hospital scene?
Don't worry, he's played in this scene by Hayden Christensen.

Galen Young

#337 Post by Galen Young » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Animated Kubrick -- very nice, reminds me of the wonderful DVD menus on Criterion's Bergman film trilogy box set, still my favorite menu designs in the collection.

Graham

#338 Post by Graham » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Graham wrote:There's some stills from that scene in Taschen's giant Kubrick book of Danny in his pyjamas and Wendy in bed. Halloran and the Overlook manager are also there.
Wait a minute, what would Hallorann be doing in the hospital scene? Is Danny sensing his presence there as a ghost? I'm curious to see the scene, but it does sound like Kubrick was right to cut it.
Halloran isn't there, of course, just Wendy, Danny and the Overlook manager...

Roger Ryan

#339 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Graham wrote:Halloran isn't there, of course, just Wendy, Danny and the Overlook manager...
Thank you for the clarification.

Of course, in King's original novel I believe Hallorann does return at the end since he meets a different fate than depicted in Kubrick's film.

Brendan Rau

#340 Post by Brendan Rau » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 am

albucat wrote:Yale University has a print with the original ending that I've seen. It's interesting historically but taking it out was a wise choice.
It's nice to know that at least one intact print still exists. Whenever I watch The Shining, I can't help trying to reconstruct the hospital scene as soon as I see Jack frozen in the maze. The immediate juxtaposition of "Midnight, the Stars, and You" with the Penderecki number always struck me as awkward and abrupt. A two-minute transition devoid of background music makes sense to me.

Like descriptions I've read of the Beatles' legendary "Carnival of Light", the mystique of the hospital scene may be far more interesting than the scene itself, but I would still jump at the chance to see it. It's an itch that I've simply got to scratch.

Roger Ryan

#341 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 pm

I can see your point regarding the abrupt transition of the soundtrack, but I like how the final cut juxtaposes two images of a frozen Jack: the first shot shows him literally frozen in the hedge maze and the second shot shows him frozen in time in the photograph.

dadaistnun

#342 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am

The Eastman House has updated their listing for The Shining; there's no longer any mention of the cut ending.

antnield

#343 Post by antnield » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#344 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 pm

tavernier

#345 Post by tavernier » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Fear and Desire being shown during this spring's New Directors/New Films in NYC...listed as a Kino Lorber release.

Calvin

#346 Post by Calvin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:58 pm

When Kino were asked on Facebook regarding a DVD/Blu-Ray release they said "We will have more details soon!" Looks like it's finally getting a release!

Emak-Bakia

#347 Post by Emak-Bakia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I recently watched The Shining again for the first time in years, and confirmed my suspicion that the dancehall scenes in Killer’s Kiss seem to be an early form of the Gold Room scenes and the final shot of The Shining. In the thread on this forum for The Killing, I previously described the characters in the dancehall scenes in Killer’s Kiss as seeming to be “trapped in some sort of museum of loneliness,” eternally slow-dancing to a sad 20s dance tune. I can’t think of a better way to describe my impression of the residents of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Maybe you could argue that Kubrick simply enjoyed depressing dance tunes from the 1920s, but it seems to me that he held a fascination with this idea of being frozen in time for all of the quarter century that passed between the two films. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but I'm curious to get someone else's take on the matter.

Isambard

#348 Post by Isambard » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm

In a recent interview with Canal+, Stephen Spielberg revealed that he has been working with the Kubrick estate to develop the late director's dream project, Napoleon, as a television miniseries: The Playlist

The Fanciful Norwegian

#349 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Spielberg developing Napoleon as a miniseries

Not gonna draw any preconceptions about this until a director is named. I suppose it could be Spielberg himself but it doesn't seem quite the same fit as A.I.

antnield

#350 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:31 am

Nick Wrigley's written a pair of Kubrick pieces for the BFI's website...

Stanley Kubrick, cinephile

and

The right-hand man: Jan Harlan on Stanley Kubrick