Silk Road (Tiller Russell, 202?)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Silk Road (Tiller Russell, 202?)

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 am

This is a couple years old, but as I'm listening to a podcast series about Silk Road at the moment, I did some googling on whether an inevitable fictional film adaptation of its creation and downfall is in the works. And it appears it was as of October 2016, by the Coens. They would be the absolute perfect people to tell this story of a bumbling libertarian creating a worldwide drug network and then making naïve mistake after naïve mistake until his empire comes crumbling down. Or, at least, if Spielberg doesn't feel like remaking Catch Me if You Can, they would be.

Alan Smithee

Re: Joel and Ethan Coen

#2 Post by Alan Smithee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 pm

I totally get where you’re coming from in the way Ulbricht is ripe for doomed comedy with an extra level of gravity but I’d love to see Paul Schrader do it. Ulbricht is a typical Schrader character filled with hubris, illusions of principle, and self destruction. Either way the movie needs to happen.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Silk Road (Tiller Russell, 202?)

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Turns out this film's been written (though from David Kushner's Rolling Stone article, not Nick Bilton's book) and shot by a first time filmmaker, and will star Jason Clarke, Nick Robinson, Alexandra Shipp, and Paul Walter Hauser. No word what impact that'd have on the Coens' adaptation, if any, but I doubt there's any appeal left in the project for the Coens if this becomes the definitive document of the creation and downfall of the Silk Road