Federico Fellini

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
atcolomb

#51 Post by atcolomb » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:15 pm

I received an email from CRITERIONDVD.COM on thursday that says that AMARCORD, SEVEN SAMURAI, YOJIMBO, and ANDREI RUBLEV will be re-released at the end of this year. No other details were mentioned but i do know that better prints of all of those movies are out there so it does make sense that Criterion will re-release them.

I have to make a correction....i should have said The Third Man will be re-released instead of Andrei Rublev...my mistake sorry!! But i think at sometime Criterion will re-release Andrei Rublev since the current version came out in 1999! :oops:

planetjake

#52 Post by planetjake » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 am

Just got my R2 Casanova in the mail. Stunning. The image is very slightly (almost unnoticeably ) stretched, but I found the colors to be vivid, shadows to be dark and skin tones to be very realistic... It's a pretty decent DVD all around if you ask me. Now, if only the full cut were released... Still... Incredible film.

Can't WAIT to hear the details on the new Criterion Amarcord... Any speculation? (aside from the obvious new anamorphic transfer from better elements... I'm hoping for another Bondanella commentary)

Dylan

#53 Post by Dylan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:45 am

"Casanova" is a great film (in my opinion Fellini's last great film, even though I like "Orchestra Rehearsal" a lot too), but like Bertolucci's "1900," I find the current DVD transfers not representative of the way the films should look, particularly in terms of color (the Italian DVD of "1900" does look great, faithfully restoring the meticulous color palette, but no English subtitles).

The UK "Casanova" disc seems to be brighter than the Carlotta (I don't see improvements in terms of shadows though), but it's still from the same source. I know what you're feeling though, just to see any acceptable version of "Casanova" is great, but the print on Sundance was legitimately flawless, and light years ahead of any of the DVDs. But of course, I have no idea when this will be used for a future release.

But yes, I love the film too, and have seen it many times. What a gorgeous, melancholic ending, and it has one of the greatest scores ever written for a film.

And a new Criterion of "Amarcord" is great news, I'll buy that on the release date.

planetjake

#54 Post by planetjake » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:06 am

Hm. Perhaps what I'm feeling is based on the fact that my only previous viewing experience with Casanova has been on a Laserdisc port bootleg I got off ebay for 6 dollars... It's widescreen and is just about the most hideous thing I've ever seen... A 2.5 hour movie and less that half of the disc's data had been used... Yikes. The DVD by comparison is a revelation!

It seems likely to me that since Universal owns the rights to Casanova that they would give it to Criterion ala Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas... only logical, right? Ah well... Off to get the rest of those R2 Fellini's! Ginger and Fred is next!

Dylan

#55 Post by Dylan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:34 am

Perhaps what I'm feeling is based on the fact that my only previous viewing experience with Casanova has been on a Laserdisc port bootleg I got off ebay for 6 dollars... It's widescreen and is just about the most hideous thing I've ever seen... A 2.5 hour movie and less that half of the disc's data had been used... Yikes.

The DVD by comparison is a revelation!

Indeed. That bootleg is the single worst-quality transfer of anything I've ever sat all the way through (and I sat through it more than once), and that is also how I first saw the film, and yes, the available DVDs blow the boot away.

But still, the film could (and does, via Sundnace) look better. You do have the best DVD version available (and as it's in your top three of the director's work, you certainly needed to see a version better than the boot ASAP), but lets hope the best print available reaches DVD in the next year or so.

Fellini's Casanova

Screenshots

The German DVD, which looks very good! But no English subtitles for the Italian track (and Italian is the best way to watch it). It does look a little better than the UK, though there are no exact captures...

I'd like a DVD Beaver comparison, just to make sure, but visually it does look like the German is the one to beat...but the lack of English subtitles (as the Italian track is always the way to go) is a setback.

Does anybody else have any comments on the "Casanova" DVD releases and quality?

planetjake

#56 Post by planetjake » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:49 am

The German DVD, which looks very good! But no English subtitles for the Italian track (and Italian is the best way to watch it). It does look a little better than the UK, though there are no exact captures...

I'd like a DVD Beaver comparison, just to make sure, but visually it does look like the German is the one to beat...but the lack of English subtitles (as the Italian track is always the way to go) is a setback.

Does anybody else have any comments on the "Casanova" DVD releases and quality?
So, what's the deal with Infinity Arthouse? All the screencaps that I see look really good, but I keep hearing people on the board trash their company... Are they treating Fellini right? I's like some input before I drop some 75 dollars on Ginger and Fred, And The Ship Sails on and their upcoming Orchestra Rehearsal.

Their DVD of Herzog's Where the Green Ants Dream looks pretty darn decent if you ask me...

cafeman

#57 Post by cafeman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:54 am

Dylan wrote:Fellini's Casanova
I think Casanova is a cinematic atrocity. It`s among the worst films I`ve ever seen. (And I saw it in a theatre).

tavernier

#58 Post by tavernier » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:30 am

cafeman wrote:I think Casanova is a cinematic atrocity. It`s among the worst films I`ve ever seen. (And I saw it in a theatre).
Leningrad Cowboys can't comprehend Casanova.

jorencain

#59 Post by jorencain » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:18 pm

planetjake wrote:So, what's the deal with Infinity Arthouse?
I bought Ginger and Fred, and it looks fine, but not spectacular. I've just scanned through the film and extras so far (haven't had a chance to really watch them) and it's all satisfactory. I can't comment on the others, though, as I haven't seen them.

cafeman

#60 Post by cafeman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:23 pm

tavernier wrote:
cafeman wrote:I think Casanova is a cinematic atrocity. It`s among the worst films I`ve ever seen. (And I saw it in a theatre).
Leningrad Cowboys can't comprehend Casanova.
Ummm... whatever you say.

planetjake

#61 Post by planetjake » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 am

cafeman wrote:
Dylan wrote:Fellini's Casanova
I think Casanova is a cinematic atrocity. It`s among the worst films I`ve ever seen. (And I saw it in a theatre).
At this point, I really don't care what people think about Fellini or his films. Take them or leave them, I don't care which, so long as you do it quick and get out of my face. I have been in far too many intellectual debates over this kind of thing. I'm not sick of defending him by any means, but I'm certainly sick of hearing the same criticisms over and over again.

Take his films or don't. I don't care which. I do care however if you crap on a thread and don't even bother to substantiate your opinion.

Okay, so anymore input on these Infinity Arthouse Discs would be appreciated. Dylan seems to be satisfied with them.

Dylan

#62 Post by Dylan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:49 am

Okay, so anymore input on these Infinity Arthouse Discs would be appreciated. Dylan seems to be satisfied with them.
I haven't purchased the DVDs, but they certainly sound promising (with the "And the Ship Sails On" transfer reported better than Criterion's), and as I said, just loaded with extras. I look forward to seeing screengrabs from the new "Orchestra Rehearsal" DVD, seeing as the Fox Lorber looks rather rough.

Cafeman, we don't care if you dislike a film, but just like what you did on the Lynch thread, you just came in here and shouted your opinion with no endorsement or conviction. Personally, I really can't even begin to see how it qualifies as 'one of the worst films ever made.'

As for the film, "Casanova," there are three pages in the International DVDs thread which has a decent discussion on the film between Annie Myra, Fellini-Hexed, myself, and others:

cafeman

Casanova

#63 Post by cafeman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:29 am

Dylan wrote:Cafeman, we don't care if you dislike a film, but just like what you did on the Lynch thread, you just came in here and shouted your opinion with no endorsement or conviction. Personally, I really can't even begin to see how it qualifies as 'one of the worst films ever made.'

As for the film, "Casanova," there are three pages in the International DVDs thread which has a decent discussion on the film between Annie Myra, Fellini-Hexed, myself, and others:
Well, Dylan, actually all your post said is that Casanova is a great film, and nothing further, so my post is of just about equal merit.

And, in the lynch thread, I did go into quite a bit of detail in the further discussion, and most times I do so, when necessary, which in this case it isn`t. I just felt the need to counter balance what I percieve as an incredibly bold statement claiming that Casanova is a great film.

Also, I was in a kind of a hurry when I posted.

As for why it`s a terrible film? It`s repetitive, tedious, boring, clueless, pointless, aimless, doesn`t know what it`s saying, and yet is not delightfully ambiguos about it, has a terrible performance from Sutherland, is more fixated on authentic costumes than anything else, and in the end, all it ends up being is a shallow, one dimensional movie about how terribly taxing it is to sleep with copious amounts of women. There is no depth of his character beyond that, and all the other characters in the movie are unimportant anyway. It has no real story, no structure, no progression or development of any character or theme and so on and so forth....

tavernier

Casanova

#64 Post by tavernier » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:00 am

As for why it`s a terrible film? It`s repetitive, tedious, boring, clueless, pointless, aimless, doesn`t know what it`s saying, and yet is not delightfully ambiguos about it, has a terrible performance from Sutherland, is more fixated on authentic costumes than anything else, and in the end, all it ends up being is a shallow, one dimensional movie about how terribly taxing it is to sleep with copious amounts of women. There is no depth of his character beyond that, and all the other characters in the movie are unimportant anyway. It has no real story, no structure, no progression or development of any character or theme and so on and so forth....
You have just summed up John Simon's arrogantly dismissive review of the film back in the day.

planetjake

Casanova

#65 Post by planetjake » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:38 pm

As for why it`s a terrible film? It`s repetitive, tedious, boring, clueless, pointless, aimless, doesn`t know what it`s saying, and yet is not delightfully ambiguos about it, has a terrible performance from Sutherland, is more fixated on authentic costumes than anything else, and in the end, all it ends up being is a shallow
I'm terribly bored with hearing the same criticisms.

Dylan

Casanova

#66 Post by Dylan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Well, Dylan, actually all your post said is that Casanova is a great film, and nothing further, so my post is of just about equal merit.
Well, I did post a link to an older discussion which I contributed to.

Antoine Doinel

Casanova

#67 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Dylan wrote:
Just because the criticisms are "old", doesn't make them less valid. It's very possible that the flaws of any given film "then" versus "now" can be the same.

atcolomb

Casanova

#68 Post by atcolomb » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Just because the criticisms are "old", doesn't make them less valid. It's very possible that the flaws of any given film "then" versus "now" can be the same.
What cafeman wrote can also apply to movies made in hollywood today!!

tavernier

#69 Post by tavernier » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:31 pm

atcolomb wrote:What cafeman wrote can also apply to movies made in hollywood today!!
But only those with bad Donald Sutherland performances!

tryavna

#70 Post by tryavna » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:34 pm

tavernier wrote:
atcolomb wrote:What cafeman wrote can also apply to movies made in hollywood today!!
But only those with bad Donald Sutherland performances!
Space Cowboys, for instance?

atcolomb

Voices of the Moon

#71 Post by atcolomb » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Does anybody have any new info on his last film Voices of the Moon for a dvd release?....

tavernier

Voices of the Moon

#72 Post by tavernier » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:58 pm

atcolomb wrote:Does anybody have any new info on his last film Voices of the Moon for a dvd release?....
If you don't need English subs, there's a nice Italian DVD available.

planetjake

Voices of the Moon

#73 Post by planetjake » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:45 pm

tavernier wrote:
atcolomb wrote:Does anybody have any new info on his last film Voices of the Moon for a dvd release?....
If you don't need English subs, there's a nice Italian DVD available.
Even though I don't know the Italian language, I was thinking of buying that DVD just so I could see it, you know? I think it would be interesting to see a Fellini film without any subtitles... But I'll probably hold off just because it's his last film -and from what I've heard from different critics- a bit of a departure for him in terms of aesthetic.

I've even read one critic go so far as to say that it was the beginning of Fellini's fourth period (First being comedic/neo-realist (1951-1957), second being Episodic/"Fellini-esque" (1960-1979) and the third being his nostalgic period (1980-1987). With all due respect being payed to the many sub-periods in between). Has anyone here actually seen it? Anyone here think it might be released on a legitimate DVD anytime soon?

tavernier

Voices of the Moon

#74 Post by tavernier » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:08 pm

I saw Voices of the Moon at Film Forum in NYC in the early/mid 90s at a Fellini retro (I don't remember if it was before he died). I was surprised at how beautiful it was: gentle, humane, less grandiose than much of his late work. I look at it as a mix of his early and late films, and it would have been fascinating to see where he would have gone next.

I wouldn't be surprised if KochLorber ends up putting it out (they released Intervista last year), but I also wouldn't be surprised if no one did. To me, it's a perfect title for Criterion: a rarely-seen Fellini film, and they could add a lot of extras (interviews with Benigni, etc.).

I have the Italian disc and recommend it highly: even if you don't speak Italian (which I don't), you won't lose much. I don't know if there are any extensive synopses of the film out there, which would help keep track of the characters. (I haven't watched it in a while, so I wouldn't be of much help there.)

cafeman

#75 Post by cafeman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:28 pm

tavernier wrote:You have just summed up John Simon's arrogantly dismissive review of the film back in the day.
If it makes you feel any better, I`ve never read a single piece of writing on this film. I watched it, and have been repressing the memory of it with great success until Dylan`s post.