Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
accatone

#76 Post by accatone » Fri May 05, 2006 6:25 pm

ONE+ONE will also be released in germany but i am not sure about the extras...nevertheless it will be cheaper than the french release. Just orderd the DOCUMENTS - have to get my french in shape ....

The Fanciful Norwegian

#77 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 pm

ONE+ONE will also be released in germany but i am not sure about the extras...nevertheless it will be cheaper than the french release.
There's also the UK release, which will probably be cheaper than either (at least for folks in the UK and the U.S.). It looks like they'll be carrying over all the features from the Carlotta version.

Arn777

#78 Post by Arn777 » Sat May 06, 2006 4:33 am

Re the exhibition, I read a short article in Les Inrockuptibles, basically mentioning that not many people still know the content of the exhibition, as plans keep changing, Godard changing his mind, budgetary issues and a few rifts, not even if it will actually start on the 11th.

ellipsis7

#79 Post by ellipsis7 » Sat May 06, 2006 4:51 am

Arn777 wrote:Re the exhibition, I read a short article in Les Inrockuptibles, basically mentioning that not many people still know the content of the exhibition, as plans keep changing, Godard changing his mind, budgetary issues and a few rifts, not even if it will actually start on the 11th.
Yeah, I just heard something similar, that he is making it difficult...

accatone

#80 Post by accatone » Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 am

As far as there had been bilingual publications in the past (Cocteau...) i thought about the possibility of having english as well in the DOCUMENTS...
I regret the Godard catalogue is only in French but there is a dvd with it. You can buy it through :vdubostmartin@flammarion.fr Best regards, Benoît Collier.

tavernier

#81 Post by tavernier » Mon May 08, 2006 9:57 am

accatone wrote:As far as there had been bilingual publications in the past (Cocteau...) i thought about the possibility of having english as well in the DOCUMENTS...
I regret the Godard catalogue is only in French but there is a dvd with it. You can buy it through :vdubostmartin@flammarion.fr Best regards, Benoît Collier.
So is the DVD English-friendly?

otis

#82 Post by otis » Mon May 08, 2006 4:41 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
ONE+ONE will also be released in germany but i am not sure about the extras...nevertheless it will be cheaper than the french release.
There's also the UK release, which will probably be cheaper than either (at least for folks in the UK and the U.S.). It looks like they'll be carrying over all the features from the Carlotta version.
DVD Times review of the UK release.
The picture quality on Sympathy For The Devil and One + One is generally excellent. The image is colourful, bright and clear showing quite superb sharpness and detail. There is an absence of any troublesome grain and the image is perfectly stable. Other than one or two little marks that pop up now and again around the end of reels, this is virtually flawless.

accatone

#83 Post by accatone » Tue May 09, 2006 3:10 am

tavernier wrote:So is the DVD English-friendly?
Just recieved a short response:
Sorry, no English subtitles!

tavernier

#84 Post by tavernier » Tue May 09, 2006 9:14 am

accatone wrote:
tavernier wrote:So is the DVD English-friendly?
Just recieved a short response:
Sorry, no English subtitles!
Well that does it then; thanks.

otis

#85 Post by otis » Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm

Review of the French One + One disc here. The Carlotta has one or two more extras than the British disc, but there's not a lot in it.

hellboytr

#86 Post by hellboytr » Wed May 17, 2006 2:53 pm

Unexpectedly, Amazon.fr shipped my "Documents" today, which i had placed on the 7th of April :o Luckily, it costed me a mere 20 euros, i'll comment on the quality of the DVD when the package arrives :)

Arn777

#87 Post by Arn777 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

hellboytr wrote:Unexpectedly, Amazon.fr shipped my "Documents" today
Got mine yesterday, at the full price plus high postage cost staright from Pompidou, definitely worth it, it will take me a while to go through the book, it i text heavy. The dvd is good, shame only one hour of images and sound, good to see all the crazy Girbaud ads in there and on s'est tous defile is great as is Letter to Freddy Buache.

ellipsis7

#88 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed May 17, 2006 4:56 pm

amazon.fr site page says they have run out of copies and appear not to know when more will be available - strange!

kalavin

#89 Post by kalavin » Thu May 18, 2006 3:29 pm

I, too, am waiting for my copy to ship from amazon.fr, but now they say that the shipping will be in one-to-two days.

I ordered on May 4th...and the price has gone up quite a bit, so I guess I'm waiting it out.

accatone

#90 Post by accatone » Thu May 18, 2006 4:14 pm

kalavin wrote:
I, too, am waiting for my copy to ship from amazon.fr, but now they say that the shipping will be in one-to-two days.

I ordered on May 4th...and the price has gone up quite a bit, so I guess I'm waiting it out.
me too! But didn't received a message about a higher price? The DOCUMENTS were off the list a few days, but now back for 45€ - My order is/was around 25€? I was wondering if they can cancel my order due to a now higher price ... any info? i hope the HISTOIRE(S) will finally be shipped on time ....

hellboytr

#91 Post by hellboytr » Thu May 18, 2006 5:06 pm

accatone wrote:My order is/was around 25€ ...? I was wondering if they can cancel my order due to a now higher price ... any info?
I don't think amazon.fr changes prices after you place your order. I also ordered Documents very early for about 20 euros(initial price minus VAT), then the price went up to 40 euros but they still shipped my order and didn't want any extra charges :no:

kalavin

#92 Post by kalavin » Fri May 19, 2006 7:16 pm

accatone wrote:... i hope the HISTOIRE(S) will finally be shipped in time ....
Sorry to cause you confusion, accatone. Amazon.fr, like amazon.com and amazon.co.uk, won't increase the price that you've already "locked in" by ordering early. You'll pay exactly what your original invoice says; it's just a question of when you'll pay (that is, whenever the order ships).

hellboytr

#93 Post by hellboytr » Wed May 24, 2006 8:23 am

My "Documents" book just arrived and i should say this is not simply a book; it is something GIANT, more like a THICK volume of an ENCYCLOPEDIA :shock:

Believe me i have more than 2000 books in my home library and this will be absolutely one of the most precious additions to it =P~

I urge all Godardophiles one again not to miss this great book, i haven't checked the accompanying DVD yet but Letter To Freddy Buache and Meeting Woody Allen are like two jewels for me =D>

BrightEyes23

#94 Post by BrightEyes23 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:50 am

Can we hope for an english translation of this gem? From the sounds of it, it is something that I, and any Godard fanatic, would LOVE to add in their library, but without more than a very elementary understanding of French, would be just a picture book.

hellboytr

#95 Post by hellboytr » Thu May 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Here is a random collection of screnshots from each of the films/commercials on the DVD; the image is quite interlaced by the way, especially ON S'EST TOUS DEFILE. On Meetin' WA, there are unremovable French subtitles most of the film when the audio is in English...

kalavin

#96 Post by kalavin » Sat May 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Thanks for the screenshots hellboytr. Looks great.

Now if amazon.fr would get around to shipping my copy, that would be truly lovely.

numediaman2

#97 Post by numediaman2 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:37 pm

The New York Times has spoken:

From an article on the difficulties of making documentaries from film clips:
One copyright holder, James Velaise, the president of Pretty Pictures, ultimately agreed to license a clip from François Truffaut's "Breathless" for $1,000, a fraction of his usual asking price.
So, Breathless is now a Truffaut film? Clearly a mistake, no?

So I wrote the public editor. His response:

Truffaut wrote the story, Godard the screenplay. No correction necessary, Breathless is a film by Truffaut.

So, there you have it. DVDBeaver will now have to shift Breathless from the Godard area to the Truffaut area. The newspaper of record has officially spoken.
Last edited by numediaman2 on Tue May 30, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justeleblanc

#98 Post by justeleblanc » Tue May 30, 2006 1:44 pm

hysterical

David Ehrenstein

#99 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue May 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Further indication of the fact that the New York Times is the world's worst newspaper.

Brian Oblivious

#100 Post by Brian Oblivious » Tue May 30, 2006 1:56 pm

Oh dear. Did somebody actually take The Schreiber Theory seriously?