Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Ovader

Re: Jean-Luc Godard

#951 Post by Ovader » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:It doesn't work even with Facebook, the posting has been deleted
I just checked and the image is still available on Adrian Martin's FB account. I couldn't find any other online source for the image which explains why I linked to AM's post.

Petty Bourgeoisie

#952 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 am

I'm not sure what the link is (I can't access it either) but here is an article by Nick Newman from just after Christmas:

https://thefilmstage.com/news/new-detai ... et-parole/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've yet to catch a Godard feature in a theater. Maybe this will be the one!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#953 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:And Godard famously scared the producers off with his clear disinterest in the material, making clear he would take their money and doing as he pleased. I believe a suggestion of filming in Vietnam is what severed talks.
It was either New Jersey or Japan, depending on whose version you believe—the suggestion came up after Godard said he was so excited about the project that he wanted to start shooting it in just a few months (January '65), even though the screenplay (which Godard probably wouldn't have used anyway) was still only a first draft and there was no studio deal yet in place. The producers pointed out that the weather in Texas wouldn't be right in January, prompting Godard's remark. He also purportedly complained that "I'm talking cinema and you're talking meteorology."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#954 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Une femme coquette has finally surfaced on back channels!

TMDaines

#955 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Une femme coquette has finally surfaced on back channels!
I love this article on connoisseurs and goofs, and this film being a holy grail.

kubelkind

#956 Post by kubelkind » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:28 pm

well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzpFi0uBmzs
looks surprisingly good too, despite being an old, scratchy print. I've paid money for DVDs which look worse than this. Very enjoyable too, great street scenes of Geneva in '55.

Red Screamer

#957 Post by Red Screamer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Two tidbits from Rob Sheffield's Dreaming The Beatles that I had never heard before:
They even discussed plans to turn each song {from Sgt Pepper's} into a movie. "It started with 'Let's get Antonioni to film a track, and let's get Jean-Luc Godard to film a track,' their press agent Tony Bramwell recalled. "But there was no budget for it."
And the kicker, One Plus One bashing aside:
The closest the Stones came to this fantasy {of being movie stars} was when they hooked up with Jean-Luc Godard. The French director had wanted to film the Beatles recording, and met with Lennon to offer him the lead in a movie about Trotsky's assassination, but Lennon turned down both ideas. The Stones seemed like a better match—Jagger vs. Godard in a clash of the Sixties-alienation titans. "Godard is a very nice man," Mick said in 1968, tongue so far in cheek he could taste his inner ear canal. "I mean I've seen all his pictures and I think they're groovy." The director filmed the band in the studio on two historic nights, as they cooked up a new song that turned out to be "Sympathy for the Devil." Godard, having no clue what he'd just witnessed, cut up the footage and spliced it into a tedious student-protest drama called One Plus One. At the premiere, Godard announced the Stones had ruined his film and urged the audience to walk out. He then punched the producer in the face.
Over/under on how many Godard films Jagger actually saw? 2?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#958 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

What a spectacular misreading of the infamous punching incident

Hopscotch

#959 Post by Hopscotch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Is there a comprehensive treatment somewhere of unrealized Godard projects? I knew about him getting offered to direct Bonnie & Clyde, and his adaptation of Long Day's Journey into Night, but I haven't read anything about the Trotsky assassination movie starring Lennon.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#960 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

There's a little bit on it in the Brody and MacCabe bios. A Greek film producer invited Godard to make a film in Britain; Brody (citing Richard Roud) says this was originally to be a film calling for the liberalization of abortion laws that was abandoned when the Wilson government actually did it, but this doesn't fit the given timeline—Brody writes that Godard first met the producer in the spring of '68 and Britain had already revised its abortion laws in 1967. Godard wanted to work with either the Beatles or the Rolling Stones and (per MacCabe) had two meetings with Lennon about a Trotsky project (to be scripted by Robert Benton and David Newman), but Lennon was "extremely suspicious" and didn't bite. It sounds like there was also an attempt at doing One Plus One with the Beatles instead of the Stones, since Brody writes that Paul was willing to work with Godard but John wouldn't let him film in the recording studio. In his 1969 interview with Rolling Stone Godard offhandedly mentions "I'd like to see John Lennon play Trotsky in a film."

I'll also add that MacCabe's earlier book Godard: Images, Sounds, Politics has quite a bit of material on the unrealized The Story (which Godard hoped would star Vittorio Gassman and Charlotte Rampling, then Robert De Niro and Diane Keaton), as well as a project for Mozambican television that's written about in some detail here.

Hopscotch

#961 Post by Hopscotch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks for that. I've read the Brody and MacCabe texts and actually worked with Colin on his most recent collection for Oxford, but I haven't found any texts yet that deal exclusively and in detail with the projects that never came to be.

accatone

#962 Post by accatone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 pm

For my money the 2 most comprehensive collections of JLGs work are the "Bergala" books:
http://livre.fnac.com/a1071/Jean-Luc-Go ... Luc-Godard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the Documents book
https://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/resso ... Status=nsr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They all contain very interesting original documents and facsimiles concerning the many many projects JLG was working on. In fact he was/is working on several projects parallel and only very few come to life actually. I know there were meetings with DeNiro and Diane Keating for example (late 70s) but also the not made television projekt with Bernard Henri Levy and Claude Lanzman. There is a printed version of this process by Levy under the Le regle du jeu umbrella that i have here too.

Something else: I think in Les Inrocks some weeks ago i read that the new project Image et Parole is described as a Documentary which i find very interesting and an unconventionel description of a JLG project.

mteller

#963 Post by mteller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Superswede11 wrote: Over/under on how many Godard films Jagger actually saw? 2?
Why, because he's a lowly rock musician?

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#964 Post by ola t » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 am

Anne Wiazemsky writes about Godard's meetings with Lennon (and she herself having tea with McCartney under the conference table) in her book Un an après.

Red Screamer

#965 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 pm

ola t wrote:Anne Wiazemsky writes about Godard's meetings with Lennon (and she herself having tea with McCartney under the conference table) in her book Un an après.
Thanks, I'll seek that out!

henry001

#966 Post by henry001 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 am

I wonder any company would show interest in his masterpieces in later period, such as Notre Musique or In Praise of Love to be available in blu ray.

Red Screamer

#967 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Godard's new film scheduled for 2018, now called Le livre d'images

On a side note, does anyone recommend Daniel Morgan's Late Godard and the Possibilities of Cinema?

AlexHansen

#968 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Superswede11 wrote:On a side note, does anyone recommend Daniel Morgan's Late Godard and the Possibilities of Cinema?
I found a lot to like in it, especially in the later chapters.

Hopscotch

#969 Post by Hopscotch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 am

Superswede11 wrote: On a side note, does anyone recommend Daniel Morgan's Late Godard and the Possibilities of Cinema?
Well, I'm certainly biased because I studied with him and proofed the book, but I think it's the most compelling book-length study of the late work so far.

Oedipax

#970 Post by Oedipax » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Interesting to note about the new title ("The Book of Images") - he's drawn repeatedly from Hans Otte's minimalist piano work The Book of Sounds in films like Notre Musique and L'Origine du XXIème siècle.

The French word "livre" can also be a reference to weight (i.e. a pound) as well as currency (e.g. the British pound sterling), although that's the feminine la livre, not the masculine as used in the title (which does exclusively mean book).

knives

#971 Post by knives » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm

In most languages, I'll lazily note, the work for currency is the same as weight. Even some that don't like dinero are derived from words for weight.

accatone

#972 Post by accatone » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

I have no idea if this is any good and/or authentic. But it looks like that some members here are from the NYC area, so they may take a look into this.
http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story ... guel-abreu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hearthesilence

#973 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

The Museum of the Moving Image is screening a 35mm print of Histoire(s) du Cinema on Sunday, January 28 at 4 p.m. (Didn't Godard cut and output this on video editing decks? Didn't realize he had made a film print.)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#974 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm

As I remember it, all of the original footage (the interviews, etc.) was pretty obviously shot on video as well. I can't find any other reference to a 35mm version of Histoire(s), and when Moments choisis appeared it was considered distinct from the original series in large part because it existed on 35mm. So I'm thinking they only recently transferred Histoire(s) to 35mm (which would be desirable from a preservation standpoint if nothing else) or the listing is wrong (my personal guess).

hearthesilence

#975 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm

I did a cursory search on Google, and apparently a "highlights" compilation was indeed created and transferred to 35mm. This would have been before the spring of 2008, when the first DVDs of the entire thing was released. However, I haven't turned up anything about the entire work being made available on 35mm prints.