Jean-Luc Godard

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
skuhn8

#101 Post by skuhn8 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:04 pm

typical. placing the writer above the director. The original "story" was probably three cafe napkins long. But it was Godard's images that were licensed. What a stuck up pithy response.

numediaman2

#102 Post by numediaman2 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:46 pm

I have received another e-mail from the Times. Looks like they will eventually admit their mistake. (We'll see.)

(I had also pointed out that their food/wine editors were equally ignorant of their subjects -- but that's for another discussion board.)

Sadly, the Times' mistakes just keep piling up. I suppose the mistakes of the Arts and Books sections are less important than Judith Miller's Iraq WMD stories and her failure to report about what she knew of the Plame leak, the fake stories published by Jason Blair, or Elizabeth Bumiller's love letters to George Bush that pose as reporting. But I know I will not waste any more money on that rag until they hire a new management team to clean it up.

In the meantime, I'm sure Jean-Luc Godard would get a kick out of this and probably blame Truffaut for haunting him from beyond the grave.

kinjitsu

#103 Post by kinjitsu » Tue May 30, 2006 4:18 pm

kieslowski_67

#104 Post by kieslowski_67 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:14 pm

LOL! :oops:

jdcopp

#105 Post by jdcopp » Tue May 30, 2006 6:34 pm

skuhn8 wrote: The original "story" was probably three cafe napkins long. .
Actually. it is a little bit more than three napkins. It is maybe four napkins.

If you want to read it -- it is in French though -- it is available at this site:

http://jdelpias.club.fr/truffaut/index.html

Grimfarrow

#106 Post by Grimfarrow » Tue May 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Hah! This is not that bad compared to this, courtesy of Manohla Dargis:

"A Talking Picture" bears resemblance to Andrei Sokurov's "Russian Ark."

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2004/12/10/m ... 2e&ei=5070

Never heard of him, but would like to know about this bastard child from Tarkovsky and Sokurov!

justeleblanc

#107 Post by justeleblanc » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:Further indication of the fact that the New York Times is the world's worst newspaper.
Thank you, Ann Coulter.

David Ehrenstein

#108 Post by David Ehrenstein » Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 am

Thank you, Ann Coulter.
Thank you, Judy Miller.

(Outside of Krugman and Rich the NYT is in the tank for BushCo, like the rest of our famously "Free Press." Elizabeth Bumiller and Adam Nagourney are kneepad whores to the manner born!)

J M Powell

#109 Post by J M Powell » Wed May 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Even when I was in journalism school six years ago the New York Times had an unshakeable reputation for atrocious/nonexistent copy-editing. But I swear it's gotten much worse since then. Last week the website had a video clip "Cannes Report" in which they misspelled Pedro's last name on-screen as "Almovodar" -- and their critic/reporter distinctly mispronounced the name in the same way.

numediaman2

#110 Post by numediaman2 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:31 pm

You're right, the real issue is editing. Even the best writer makes a mistake now and then -- even silly ones like this.

I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember editing before desktop computers. Most daily newspapers had a table, often round, where stories would get fed into and then passed around. A story couldn't get into the paper unless a large number of eyes had seen it first: writer > editor > editor > headline editor > typesetter > back to an editor again. Today practically all one needs to do is press "enter".

justeleblanc

#111 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:
Thank you, Ann Coulter.
Thank you, Judy Miller.

(Outside of Krugman and Rich the NYT is in the tank for BushCo, like the rest of our famously "Free Press." Elizabeth Bumiller and Adam Nagourney are kneepad whores to the manner born!)
Fair enough. :-k

pzman84

#112 Post by pzman84 » Wed May 31, 2006 2:43 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:(Outside of Krugman and Rich the NYT is in the tank for BushCo, like the rest of our famously "Free Press."
What about Maureen Dowd?

tavernier

#113 Post by tavernier » Wed May 31, 2006 3:43 pm

pzman84 wrote:
David Ehrenstein wrote:(Outside of Krugman and Rich the NYT is in the tank for BushCo, like the rest of our famously "Free Press."
What about Maureen Dowd?
Dowd has her moments, but she's too busy being a "celebrity" to really do the right kind of damage she's certainly capable of. She spent more time nailing Gore during the 2000 election than she has the Bushies since then, unfortunately.

Dylan

#114 Post by Dylan » Wed May 31, 2006 5:13 pm

Does any version/print of "Breathless" include credits, before or after the film?

David Ehrenstein

#115 Post by David Ehrenstein » Wed May 31, 2006 6:19 pm

Nope.

filmfan

#116 Post by filmfan » Wed May 31, 2006 6:34 pm

It would be nice to see if there is any reaction from anyone in the Film World...as scattered to the winds of the various Media, as it is today.

Where is a Pauline Kael or a Parker Tyler when you need them ?

NOW we need them !

Ted Todorov

#117 Post by Ted Todorov » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:04 am

David Ehrenstein wrote:Further indication of the fact that the New York Times is the world's worst newspaper.
So far as U.S. newspapers go, it is unfortunately the best of a bad bunch.

Surely you don't think that The Wall Street Journal with its stone age editorial page is better, or a rag like the NY Post.

Even The Washington Post is a lot worse then the Times: Bob Woodward has been a court stenographer for the Bush administration, their Public Editor claimed that Democrats and Republicans were equally involved in the Abramoff scandal and the Post purged their user forums when she was called on it. They recently hired a racist plagiarist as a blogger to "balance" their supposedly too liberal op-ed page.

In comparison, the Times, after firing Judith Miller seems to be re-discovering their balls and is starting to really pound the Bush administration and the Iraq war.

It is still a long way from where it should be, they make tons of mistakes, but calling it the "world's worst newspaper" is absurd.

David Ehrenstein

#118 Post by David Ehrenstein » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:05 am

The Wall Street Journal is not a newspaper. It's a neo-fascist propaganda rag.

tavernier

#119 Post by tavernier » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:16 am

David Ehrenstein wrote:The Wall Street Journal is not a newspaper. It's a neo-fascist propaganda rag.
OK...well, since you put it that way.....

numediaman2

#120 Post by numediaman2 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Today's New York Times:
An article last Sunday about the cost of using clips of classic films in documentaries misidentified the director of "Breathless." It was Jean-Luc Godard, not François Truffaut.
I guess I can move my copy of Breathless up a shelf -- from the Truffaut section to the Godard section. That section just keeps growing; just received a copy of La Chinoise from the UK, along with L'Année Dernière à Marienbad.

zedz

#121 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 pm

But wait, there's more!

According to the Village Voice, Imamura directed both the 1958 and 1983 versions of Ballad of Narayama:
His first phase, beginning in 1958, was taken up with racy comedies and melodramas and the first, overtly Kabuki, version of The Ballad of Narayama (1958), a savage parable about prescribed death in a hard-luck mountain village that he remade to grimmer and more realistic effect in 1983.
How could Michael Atkinson make this gaffe? By letting the notoriously reliable imdb write the obit for him, of course!

kinjitsu

#122 Post by kinjitsu » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:28 pm

zedz wrote:How could Michael Atkinson make this gaffe? By letting the notoriously reliable imdb write the obit for him, of course!
Shocking that he would make such an error since they are two different creatures entirely! What's the world coming to?

Grimfarrow

#123 Post by Grimfarrow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:37 am

How is this shocking? Apart from Dave Kehr, there's no one at NY Times who could actually be called a critic.

kinjitsu

#124 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:24 am

Grimfarrow wrote:How is this shocking? Apart from Dave Kehr, there's no one at NY Times who could actually be called a critic.
Michael Atkinson writes for the Village Voice, not the New York Times...

Grimfarrow

#125 Post by Grimfarrow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:27 am

kinjitsu wrote:
Grimfarrow wrote:How is this shocking? Apart from Dave Kehr, there's no one at NY Times who could actually be called a critic.
Michael Atkinson writes for the Village Voice, not the New York Times...
Oh, whoops. I thought you meant Stephen Holden. I'll write to Dennis.
Last edited by Grimfarrow on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.