Seijun Suzuki

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Hrossa

#26 Post by Hrossa » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:06 pm

Nihonophile wrote:R1?
It appears that it should be R1. Although, as others have mentioned, KimStim seems to have had some major transfer issues on past releases.

BrightEyes23

#27 Post by BrightEyes23 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:53 pm

based on that interview, they seemed pretty excited about these releases, almost as if they want this released set to be their giant stamp on the industry to say "we're here" and hopefully they'll do it right. heck, he's going to japan to look for materials, i'm assuming supplements? Perhaps it just took something they were really excited about to put forth any effort :)

Lino

#28 Post by Lino » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:33 am

Any news on the Taisho Trilogy Boxset?

shirobamba

#29 Post by shirobamba » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 pm

tavernier wrote:The label KimStim has bought the rights to Suzuki's Taisho trilogy and hopes to release it in a boxed set 1st qtr 06.
Now on KimStim's website with special features up

Lino

#30 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Great!
Extras on DVD

Special Features
Suzuki Discusses the making of the Taisho Trilogy.
Suzuki Bio/Filmography
Original Theatrical Trailer
Original Key Art/Press Images
Print Essay on Suzuki and the Taisho Trilogy
If this comes out in decent A/V conditions, it will be a prime contender for boxset of the year.

Hrossa

#31 Post by Hrossa » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:50 pm

Could somebody compare these films to Tokyo Drifter? While I found Tokyo Drifter to be visually arresting and at times engaging the plot or theme of it was lost on me. Is the narrative tone similar in these films? The word "enigmatic" in the description has me a little bit worried.

analoguezombie

#32 Post by analoguezombie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Don't be worried, just don't buy them. If you're looking for Tokyo Drifter '80 look elsewhere. This trilogy is all about Japan in a time of foreign influence and turmoil. Zigeunenweisen, named after an obscure gypsy violin music LP (should give you some clue right there), was screened, originally, in a mobile, inflatable movie dome because the distributors didn't want anything to do with it. Eventually it got a reputation for being one of the greatest Japanese films of the 80's and went on to win a prize at the 1981 Berlin film festival.

I would compare the place of the films in Suzuki's body of work to the place of Dreams, and Rhapsody in August in Kurosawa's. If what you love is Seven Samurai, then Kurosawa's later work may not be for you. So too, if your tastes fall to the more camp and violent work of Suzuki.

However, if you really enjoyed Story of a Prostitute, and Fighting Elegy, you may want to give the Taisho trilogy a look. These three films form the bridge between Suzuki's Nikkatsu work and his renewed interest in the medium, as shown by Pistol Opera and Prioncess Raccoon.

oldsheperd

#33 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 pm

I heard the Taisho Trilogy is somewhat akin to a hallucinatory fever dream.

Hrossa

#34 Post by Hrossa » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:09 pm

Hrossa wrote:Could somebody compare these films to Tokyo Drifter? While I found Tokyo Drifter to be visually arresting and at times engaging the plot or theme of it was lost on me. Is the narrative tone similar in these films? The word "enigmatic" in the description has me a little bit worried.
Yeah, I can't believe I typed Tokyo Drifter twice when I meant Pistol Opera. I'm not so dense that I don't get Tokyo Drifter. I think I'm actually the author of this thread.

Lino

#35 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:02 am

Zigeunerweisen review is up at DVDTalk:
Zigeunerweisen is an interesting and visually arresting film that might not be the best Suzuki movie to start with but that should definitely 'wow' those who appreciate the inventiveness and creativity of his better films. Kino's DVD is light on supplements but the interview is a nice touch and the feature looks and sounds good, making this one highly recommended.
Here are reviews for the other two parts of the upcoming Suzuki set:

Kagero-Za

Kagero-Za is a trippy film to say the least and at times, because it bounces around a fair bit it can be hard to follow but for attentive viewers with a taste for the bizarre, the movie completely delivers and Kino's presentation, while light on extra features, does justice to Suzuki's compelling visual style. Recommended.
and Yumeji
Yumeji wraps up Seijun Suzuki's Taisho Trilogy in style by blending the themes he'd worked with in the first two parts into a nearly seamless blend of supernatural eroticism and ghostly soap opera romance. Kino's presentation is light on supplements unfortunately but the disc looks great and sounds almost as good. Recommended.

shirobamba

#36 Post by shirobamba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:50 am

Unfavourable review of the Zigeunerweisen transfer:

"Despite the cover claiming the film is presented in 1.66:1 widescreen the film is actually in 4:3. Furthermore the DVD appears to have been mastered off of a tape source, meaning that the image is soft throughout and frequently sports a good number of notably jagged edges. Quality visual presentation is always important but it is especially so when dealing with a stylist like Suzuki and this simply does not pass muster. Also problematic are the subtitles which, although clear and well translated, appear to be burned in to the print as they cannot be turned off and occasional display the same jagged edges that mark the rest of the transfer. The included interview with Suzuki is worthwhile but on the whole the presentation is far less than what the film deserves."

Complete review

HerrSchreck

#37 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:03 am

How can these guys have possibly been watching the same DVD? Quote from Annie's "DVDTALK" link

The DVD
Video:

The 1.66.1 anamorphic widescreen transfer on this DVD is excellent, save for a couple of tiny flaws. The colors in particular look amazing here, which is always important when evaluating Suzuki's work, and each hue and tone is as vibrant and bold as the next and sometimes they appear to literally jump off of the screen at you. While there is some very moderate print damage noticeable in a few scenes, the picture has been cleaned up nicely as this is only really apparent if you're looking for it and it serves not to distract but to remind you that you're watching an actual film in the first place. There are no problems at all with mpeg compression artifacts and edge enhancement is never an issue either, though if you're looking for it you will pick up on some line shimmering here and there. Flesh tones look very lifelike and very natural, and the black levels stay strong and consistent. The image has plenty of both foreground and background detail present throughout, and overall, Zigeunerweisen looks great.

shirobamba

#38 Post by shirobamba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:30 am

Herr Schreck,

I wondered the same thing. That's why I posted it. Possibly one reviewer has watched the DVD on a tube, the other on a progressive set-up? (Which doesn't change the OAR, of course.)
I'll receive my box any day now, and will report back, what's the case. And I believe, Garry, too, will post a review soon.

yoshimori

#39 Post by yoshimori » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:09 pm

Zigeuenerweisen and Kageroza were shot 1.33:1. That's how they were projected in the NuArt Theater 6 or 8 years back when Suzuki was in town for a retro. The DVDs, too, are 1.33:1.

Yumeji was shot and projected 1.66:1. The DVD is about that (I didn't measure), but seemingly non-anamorphic.

shirobamba

#40 Post by shirobamba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Beaver reviews are up:

"DVDBeaver advises against the Kino releases of Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy: Yumeji, Kagero-za and Zigeunerweisen!"

Yumeji

Kageroza

Zigeunerweisen

Biggest disappointment of the year so far.

HerrSchreck

#41 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:44 am

I think the "real DVD company" comment is off base in his review. Gary has a longstanding beef with Kino, which I partly understand, being he measures everything against technically perfect presentations like WB & CC... but he's got some kinda beef with these guys beyond what's stated.

Steven H

#42 Post by Steven H » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:28 am

shirobamba wrote:Biggest disappointment of the year so far.
It does appear to be disappointing. The ingrained subtitles are a nuisance and I wonder if this was a licensing issue with the company (not wanting to overlap with the much pricier R2 Japan versions), maybe not specifically with KINO, but forcing subtitles seems to be a recurring issue.

Regarding Gary's dismissive attitude, I can't say that a little over $20, with a bare minimum of online ordering discount, it's terribly overpriced. Considering the decent transfer (outside the ingrained subs), the rarity, the interview, and KINO sticking it's neck out with such unusual fare, it seems like the Beaver is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

HerrSchreck

#43 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:49 am

I've been hearing a bit of Beev fatigue going around concerning his erratica. On the other hand his reviews always include screen caps which often override his er-errata (PLAN 9 leaps right to mind plus alot of bfi mush forgiven).. and that's an invaluable resource. Always use your own eyes & mind. With the stringent ideals floating around nowadays one would have to toss out ALL pre-21st century television and much cinema too. View to enjoy.... enjoy enjoy.

Keaton

#44 Post by Keaton » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:32 am

Steven H wrote:
shirobamba wrote:Biggest disappointment of the year so far.
Regarding Gary's dismissive attitude, I can't say that a little over $20, with a bare minimum of online ordering discount, it's terribly overpriced. Considering the decent transfer (outside the ingrained subs), the rarity, the interview, and KINO sticking it's neck out with such unusual fare, it seems like the Beaver is throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Same feeling here. It's been a long time since I took a KINO review by Gary serious.

Lino

#45 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:40 am

Guys, regardless of Gary's shtick with Kino, you'll have to admit that the set leaves a lot to be desired on the video department. Frankly, I was expecting a little more. If not a lot more on this case based on those DVDTalk reviews.

HerrSchreck

#46 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:53 am

Annie Mall wrote:Guys, regardless of Gary's shtick with Kino, you'll have to admit that the set leaves a lot to be desired on the video department. Frankly, I was expecting a little more. If not a lot more on this case based on those DVDTalk reviews.
I already admitted what I had to admit, dude... free admission anyhoo.

Lino

#47 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:19 am

Dude? Dude Looks Like A Lady, in this case, hon.

HerrSchreck

#48 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:26 am

Annie Mall wrote:Dude? Dude Looks Like A Lady, in this case, hon.
Like A. Only.

Lino

#49 Post by Lino » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:31 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
Annie Mall wrote:Dude? Dude Looks Like A Lady, in this case, hon.
Like A. Only.
Happy Birthday to you.

shirobamba

#50 Post by shirobamba » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:24 am

Annie Mall wrote:Guys, regardless of Gary's shtick with Kino, you'll have to admit that the set leaves a lot to be desired on the video department. Frankly, I was expecting a little more. If not a lot more on this case based on those DVDTalk reviews.
I second Annie's opinion. And it's not Gary's private beef with Kino alone, as the Twitchfilm review shows.
And how would YOU call a company, that states 2 out of 3 wrong aspect ratios, and an anamorphic transfer that isn't. Careless?
And besides, does anyone remember the announcements Kimstim made last fall?