Peter Bogdanovich

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Peter Bogdanovich

#101 Post by cdnchris » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:18 pm

Only got around to watching the episode tonight, but (in a pretty great joke) Bogdanovich explains the reason for the bandana/ascot thing on this season's last episode of Documentary Now!

hearthesilence

#102 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 pm

I didn't realize a substantially longer "director's cut" of Texasville was released on LaserDisc many years back - I've seen the film, in 35mm to boot, but only in the theatrical cut.

Had to look into this, and found this interview where Bogdanovich discusses what happened:
Peter Bogdanovich wrote:When we were preparing Texasville, Peter Guber agreed to let me recut The Last Picture Show by adding certain footage to it. The picture had not yet appeared on video so the idea was to add some footage and make a new version of it and put it out in theaters prior to the opening of Texasville. That started to happen...I reviewed all the material and decided there were about seven minutes I wanted to put back in...I put back about seven minutes and then Frank Price took over Columbia and Frank didn't like me because of the situation that happened at Universal on Mask, so Frank pretty much sabotaged that plan, which was to bring Picture Show out and then Texasville, so that was sabotaged and didn't happen. What did happen was that Texasville had to be totally recut because I had to lose certain stuff that wouldn't make any sense if you haven't seen Picture Show. It wasn't available anywhere. So that was unfortunately very sad. Texasville came out and was perceived incorrectly because it wasn't what we made. It was perceived as too much of a comedy when in fact the original Texasville was more evenly balanced between comedy and drama. Subsequent to that the long version of The Last Picture Show was finished on 35mm and on laserdisc and is available on Criterion laserdisc, seven minutes longer...Pioneer did a director's cut of Texasville so that also exists on laserdisc in a version that's twenty-five minutes longer. But the only way to see those two pictures the way we would have like them to be shown one after the other is on laserdisc.

jazzo

#103 Post by jazzo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Apparently Bogdanovich has been asking Criterion to do the director's cut of Texasville for years. I keep hoping they'll do it as a sister release or an additional bonus disc (a la King of the Hill/The Underneath) when/if they split The Last Picture Show off from the BBS set.

I've seen Bogdanovich's director's cuts of The Last Picture Show, Mask, That Thing Called Love and They All Laughed, and aside from LPS, was already a masterpiece in its theatrical form, I think his work in particular, which is almost always character-based, benefits from the breathing room those extended cuts allow. I've never seen Texasville in this form. I'd really, really like to, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:10 pm

A former member made a recut version of the film incorporating the laser disc-only scenes with the DVD scenes for the rest, but unfortunately I lost the copy he sent me!

hearthesilence

#105 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I wouldn't recommend this if you're definitely going to find the director's cut and watch it (I'm certain it'll rob those scenes a good deal of their power if you've already read a summary ahead of time), but if you really, really want to know what was cut, imdb lists every re-instated scene found in the LaserDisc of the director's cut.

Oedipax

#106 Post by Oedipax » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Bogdanovich goes total scorched earth on a number of topics in this Vulture interview. He sure doesn't come off as likable but I admire the sheer ballsiness and candor of it.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#107 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:41 pm

That is indeed a hell of an interview... thanks for posting!

bearcuborg

#108 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I don’t think he comes off so bad. I don’t remember hearing so many shit stories about Billy Wilder though...yikes.

Cremildo

#109 Post by Cremildo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Billy Wilder was such a nice guy, apparently.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#110 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 pm

This is an incredible interview. And yes, Wilder notoriously disliked Bogdanovich (it was he who gave the press the immortal line in the 70s: "Hollywood is united in its hatred of Peter Bogdanovich and Cybill Shepherd"), but good lord:
After she was killed, I didn’t go out much. Then one day, about six months after it happened, I went to a dentist appointment. As I’m leaving the dentist, who’s coming up the street but Billy Wilder. I said, “Hi, Billy.” He says, “Hi.” Without even a blink, he says, “You know that whole story about the girl that got murdered? The plot is not right. It should be how … ” and he starts telling me how to fix the plot of the story of Dorothy’s murder.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#111 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Peter Bogdanovich wrote: You know what he (Billy Wilder) did when Tony Curtis’s son died of an overdose? He sent him a telegram saying, “Like father, like son.”
What an asshole

Altair

#112 Post by Altair » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Oedipax wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:33 pm
Bogdanovich goes total scorched earth on a number of topics in this Vulture interview. He sure doesn't come off as likable but I admire the sheer ballsiness and candor of it.
Thanks for posting - an astonishing interview, in turns hilarious and tragic (sometimes simultaneously). The Tarantino and Ratner parts are just plain bizarre.

FrauBlucher

#113 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:52 pm

When you get to be a certain age you just don’t give a shit. The filters are removed. So many directors that hit that age, especially when time passes them by and they can’t direct anymore so they just unload. It’s kind of sad.

colinr0380

#114 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 am

Although I remember he was talking about directing Cher through close ups in Mask as far back as in the 2000 BBC TV series Watching (in the episode about the power of close ups, naturally!), where Bogdanovich's comments about being able to control an actor more closely that way and achieve nuance through practical directions like "look down, then up, then blink and turn your head to the side" get quite bluntly played over a scene where Cher does exactly that.

pzadvance

#115 Post by pzadvance » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:06 pm

so this dude really just met every woman in his life by perusing magazine racks, huh

Forrest Taft

#116 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:08 pm

Anyone here have the French blu-ray releases of Saint Jack or Nickelodeon? Wondering if the French subs are removable before I place my order. And which cut of of Nickelodeon is it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#117 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:18 pm

I didn’t even know Nickelodeon was on Blu-ray! If it’s in black and white, it’s the director’s cut. But the additions aren’t significant and the film works better like it was shot, in color, Bogdanovich’s extreme revisionism notwithstanding

Saint Jack has a US Blu-ray from Scorpion FYI

Forrest Taft

#118 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks. I came across the blu from Scorpion on amazon, and thought it was oop because of the price. But I see now that it's still available from Screen Archives. The French disc may be the cheaper option for me though.

There is also a Spanish release of Nickelodeon, release by Divisa, but with the Studio Canal logo on the cover. But the user reviews on on amazon.es are for Casablanca, I think, so it's hard to tell which cut it is, even with the help of google translate...

Will just have to take mye chances!

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#119 Post by soundchaser » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Forrest Taft wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm
Thanks. I came across the blu from Scorpion on amazon, and thought it was oop because of the price. But I see now that it's still available from Screen Archives. The French disc may be the cheaper option for me though.

There is also a Spanish release of Nickelodeon, release by Divisa, but with the Studio Canal logo on the cover. But the user reviews on on amazon.es are for Casablanca, I think, so it's hard to tell which cut it is, even with the help of google translate...

Just curious - did you ever get this copy of Nickelodeon? I'm eyeing it at Amazon.fr now and can't find much info elsewhere. Judging by the running time, it looks to be the theatrical cut, but what's the subtitle situation like?

Forrest Taft

#120 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:32 pm
Forrest Taft wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Just curious - did you ever get this copy of Nickelodeon? I'm eyeing it at Amazon.fr now and can't find much info elsewhere. Judging by the running time, it looks to be the theatrical cut, but what's the subtitle situation like?
Yes, I did. I meant to update this thread when I'd had a look, but completely forgot. The good news is that it includes both cuts. The bad news is that the subs are non-removable. And the theatrical cut is 1080i, with PAL speed-up running time. So I watched the DC instead, but wasn't very impressed with the transfer. Not the end of the world, as I never got this on DVD. But, on the other hand, I'll probably think twice before I blind-buy another title from Studio Canal's curated "Une collection de Jean-Baptiste Thoret MAKE MY DAY!"-line again.

Saint Jack, on the other hand, looked lovely. And came with tons of crap (poster, postcards, fake polaroids). I don't think it includes all of the feauters from the Scorpion disc though.

knives

#121 Post by knives » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Mask blew away all expectations I had and proved itself great on so many levels. Just a surprise all around. As someone who works with middle schoolers the most satisfying part is how it works as a cure to the terrible hypocrisy of Wonder. Just compare the intros of our respective protagonists. The Wonder kid is introduced as an alien literally with astronaut mask as a sort of representational fetish. There's also voice over creating a big implied but to any claims of normality. Capt. Ascot instead frames Rocky by the things he cares about not hiding his face and not focusing on it. He might as well as be Tom Cruise he's so ordinary. If there's any sort of representational mark on him it's not his face like the mask in Wonder, but rather the jean jacket screaming ordinary kid playing tough. Throughout the film ignores any drama based around his face. The principle gets the point quickly and the potential bully turns out to be a nice guy. Instead the drama is the universal one of how to care for yourself and your loved ones.

All of that alone would make this a superior film, but how the movie comes to make this feel like another Last Picture Show is what causes it to be great. There's are people existing and trying to make good while longing to be in some never arriving paradise. The small victories and failures of life are what make this emotionally devastating like a new Wagon Master.
Last edited by knives on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#122 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm

What movie are you talking about?

Roger Ryan

#123 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 pm

The unwritten film title in "knives"' post appears to be Mask (1985).

knives

#124 Post by knives » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:53 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm
What movie are you talking about?
That's what I get for posting while cooking dinner.

FrauBlucher

Peter Bogdanovich

#125 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Better to screw up the post than the meal. Btw... what’s for dinner?