Jacques Rivette

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
chiendent

Re: Jacques Rivette

#1126 Post by chiendent » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah New Yorker's treatment (or whatever you can call it) of that film is just infuriating. This is still great news and I'm excited to see as many of these in theatres as possible, especially Haut Bas Fragile after reading some of the impressions here.

nolanoe

#1127 Post by nolanoe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:33 pm

nolanoe wrote:So glad to hear those two/three get a restore!! Crossing my fingers for Bande des Quatre next!!

Good to see my psychic abilities are still working!! So so so SO happy about the news these films are all going to be restored.

Celine et Julie WILL have to come out now - I mean, Rivette seems to bring in the $$$, so...

med

#1128 Post by med » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 am

Watched Kino's release of Le Pont du Nord last night. What was being accomplished with the Composites video essay? In addition to its crude editing and sound, any attempt at actual analysis (and very little screen time was devoted to such an attempt) was shallow prattle delivered in a grating high-rising intonation. Why did anyone decide this was worthy of inclusion?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1129 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 am

med wrote:Watched Kino's release of Le Pont du Nord last night. What was being accomplished with the Composites video essay? In addition to its crude editing and sound, any attempt at actual analysis (and very little screen time was devoted to such an attempt) was shallow prattle delivered in a grating high-rising intonation. Why did anyone decide this was worthy of inclusion?
Who made this extra? (I have the MOC version of PdN)

med

#1130 Post by med » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Gina Telaroli, a filmmaker of whom I know nothing beyond what I've Googled.

A generous interpretation of the piece is that it is a tribute to Rivette in general and this film in particular—footage from the movie is superimposed over Telaroli's own footage of two women walking around and talking or sitting around and reading Clarice Lispector—but the end result was so slapdash and slight.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1131 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Sounds pretty pointless. ;-)

Petty Bourgeoisie

#1132 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:19 am

If I remember correctly, Mr. Rivette filmed PDN in areas that were quickly being gentrified. The two ladies were retracing the filming locations, which nowadays look nothing like 1980.

Or am I thinking of an extra from Celine and Julie Go Boating?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1133 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 am

I wanted to check out the remnants of the Petite Ceinture (some of which showed up in PdN, I think) on our recent trip to Paris -- but we ran out of time.

HitchcockLang

#1134 Post by HitchcockLang » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am

Who precisely should we be looking to to release Celine and Julie finally?

Ribs

#1135 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 am

New Yorker are still holding onto the US rights. Arrow looked into it in the UK when they did their (first?) Rivette set but apparently felt it was a no-go.

Calvin

#1136 Post by Calvin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Looks like the rights of L'amour fou may have finally been sorted out, as the CNC have funded TF1 to restore it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1137 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Calvin wrote:Looks like the rights of L'amour fou may have finally been sorted out, as the CNC have funded TF1 to restore it.
Great news! I wonder how long we will have to wait to actually see the restored version (based on previous experience with other 4+ hour black and white films)? ;-)

Tommaso

#1138 Post by Tommaso » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm pretty optimistic that this will at least get a TV broadcast on arte or on another French channel. From then on it usually only takes a few days to reach the rest of the world ;)

And I'm extremely glad to see Duvivier's "Le tourbillon de Paris" on that list, too. A truly fine silent starring the wonderful Lil Dagover, and which can currently only be seen as an incomplete 9.5 mm copy. High time that it gets properly restored.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1139 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 am

Calvin wrote:Looks like the rights of L'amour fou may have finally been sorted out, as the CNC have funded TF1 to restore it.
So will this go to Cohen then? I could swear that TF1 and Cohen have worked together.

Calvin

#1140 Post by Calvin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Someone spoke with Rivette's widow, who says that the rights to L'amour fou are with her, it's being restored from the original negative and should be completed next year!

Also, Studio Canal are restoring La Religieuse

nolanoe

#1141 Post by nolanoe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 am

swo17 wrote:Is Celine and Julie going to be the last Rivette film to make it on Blu-ray?
Appalled nobody mentioned this in here: BFI BD coming up!!

hearthesilence

#1142 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:39 pm

‘La Belle Noiseuse’ Trailer: Jacques Rivette’s Classic Returns For 25th Anniversary In 4K Restoration

This opens at Quad Cinema on Thanksgiving weekend - I'm guessing a BD from Cohen will follow?

furbicide

#1143 Post by furbicide » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Interesting use of music in the trailer – I'm so used to associating the film with Stravinsky's 'Agon' (which plays over the old UK trailer and of course over the opening and closing credits), but found this kind of a refreshing presentation of the film nonetheless. I just hope that we'll also be getting Divertimento with the Blu-ray/DVD release.

All the Best People

#1144 Post by All the Best People » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

I just watched The Nun, which expires from Filmstruck later this week. I feel like it's rather shunted to the side in Rivette studies, but I found it very good nonetheless. Its mise-en-scene, decoupage, and sound design are largely in line with his style in Paris Belongs to Us and which returned in Scenes from Parallel Lives and forward. I didn't know the particulars of the plot, so was surprised at the direction the second half of the film took, which is actually quite timely. Karina is excellent, a very physical performance.

furbicide

#1145 Post by furbicide » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 am

I was kind of stunned how good The Nun was. Hearing the way it's usually described in the Rivette canon – as this kind of brief embrace of conventional narrative form by the director before he veered off in his own radical direction – I expected some really boring and artistically safe period piece. While it's true that there was a quantum leap between this and L'Amour Fou (a masterpiece), I still find The Nun much, much more interesting than most other European period dramas (including Rivette's own later Don't Touch the Axe).

hearthesilence

#1146 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Fiery Angel

#1147 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:29 pm

"Provocative" is misspelled.

All the Best People

#1148 Post by All the Best People » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:52 am

I just watched Le Pont du Nord for the first time, the twelfth Rivette feature I've seen (counting both manifestations of Out 1 separately).

My initial reaction is that I liked it the least of any I've seen. Yes, so many of his recurring themes are present: conspiracy, paranoia, games, roleplaying, mythmaking, etc. In fact, the themes are almost too present, like what would result if someone sat down to make a Rivette parody (the Pascale Ogier character would have to be supernatural or spectral to truly complete the parody, though); one could even consider it a third part of a trilogy following Paris Belongs to Us and Out 1 (I read the section on the film in the Mary Wiles monograph on Rivette after watching this and she made the same argument, actually). There were moments I liked, but I never quite got on its wavelength. A quick online survey (driven by my Letterboxd account) seems to find that other Rivette fans are far more enthusiastic than I am, so I wonder if I was missing something, or if maybe this one just isn't quite for me.

Rivette's mid-80s work is one of my gaps, so I further wonder if this film isn't primarily a summary of his career and ambitions up to the point of its making, from which he could branch out in different directions. Of course, by the time you get to Gang of Four at the end of the decade, the theatrical obsessions are still in full force ...

zedz

#1149 Post by zedz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm

All the Best People wrote:one could even consider it a third part of a trilogy following Paris Belongs to Us and Out 1 (I read the section on the film in the Mary Wiles monograph on Rivette after watching this and she made the same argument, actually).
I don't know why everything always has to resolve into trilogies. Rivette has made a number of films revolving around the same concerns (basically: vague conspiracies + theatre), so why not include La Bande des Quatres and Va Savoir? Those two films actually fit more closely with the earlier pair than Le Pont du Nord does.

One thing I love about Rivette's cinema is that he has these very consistent strands running all the way through his career, which get mixed and matched in all sorts of ways. Sometimes the same handful of elements come into play in a similar combination as before; sometimes there's a fresh and delightful confluence; sometimes there's a messy pile-up - but it's all Rivette. Artificially demarcating small conceptual gulags among the works seems counter to his actual film practice.

All the Best People

#1150 Post by All the Best People » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm

zedz wrote:
All the Best People wrote:one could even consider it a third part of a trilogy following Paris Belongs to Us and Out 1 (I read the section on the film in the Mary Wiles monograph on Rivette after watching this and she made the same argument, actually).
I don't know why everything always has to resolve into trilogies. Rivette has made a number of films revolving around the same concerns (basically: vague conspiracies + theatre), so why not include La Bande des Quatres and Va Savoir? Those two films actually fit more closely with the earlier pair than Le Pont du Nord does.

One thing I love about Rivette's cinema is that he has these very consistent strands running all the way through his career, which get mixed and matched in all sorts of ways. Sometimes the same handful of elements come into play in a similar combination as before; sometimes there's a fresh and delightful confluence; sometimes there's a messy pile-up - but it's all Rivette. Artificially demarcating small conceptual gulags among the works seems counter to his actual film practice.
I think what unites these three is that they are all specifically about Paris at a certain time politically and culturally to a greater extent than some of the others. It's obviously unofficial and just a way to think about the films.