Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
nolanoe

Re: Rainer Werner Fassbinder

#351 Post by nolanoe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:34 pm

I saw MARTHA on the big screen today.

I had started ti a few years ago and given up 30 minutes in. To be fair, the first 30 minutes are quite a slog.
However, it picks up afterwards. A quote on the poster likened it to vampire movies, and there's definitely a connection to them throughout. While it still had some problems of its own, I would still rate this as a better Fassbinder. As far as his "hardcore" melodramas go, I prefer this over Petra von Kant, Maria Brain, and Mutter Küster.

hearthesilence

#352 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Saw Martha for the first time at Lincoln Center earlier this year, and it's definitely one of my favorite early Fassbinder films. I had seen the 360 shot before, probably in a Fassbinder documentary, and recall being floored by it, so it was a nice surprise when this turned out to be the source.

nolanoe

#353 Post by nolanoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:33 pm

HD-MERCHANT officially announced by Criterion.

Bit surprised. This holds an important spot in his filmography, as it is his first color AND "melodrama" film (if I am not being lied to/mistaken).
However, I would have thought a different one would make the cut first. Lola, Veronika Voss...

Is there a way to figure out which of his films got proper HD restorations so far?

Ferdico Felni

#354 Post by Ferdico Felni » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Why is Wildwechsel / Jail Bait / Wild Game (TV 1973) so hard to find? .... and I've only seen "Shadow of Angels" which Fassbinder is one of the lead actors on VHS which is way out of print! If only a Regular DVD box set would come out similar to the Blu-Ray box Arrow U.K. will be releasing in March that would include such rarities after all he did act in other directors films ..... one can only dream!

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#355 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 am

I recently read "The Anarchy of Imagination" and found it to be underwhelming. What's a good book about Fassbinder's life and work?

zedz

#356 Post by zedz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:28 pm

Ferdico Felni wrote:Why is Wildwechsel / Jail Bait / Wild Game (TV 1973) so hard to find?
The writer of the original stage play, Franz-Xaver Kroetz, hated the film so much that he won't allow it to be shown, and the film can't be released in any form without his approval. Which is a shame, as it's a great film!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#357 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:35 am

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS wrote:I recently read "The Anarchy of Imagination" and found it to be underwhelming. What's a good book about Fassbinder's life and work?
I remember Christian Baard Thomsen's book being pretty good, but it's been a long time since I've read it. I think I mainly appreciated it for dealing with practically the whole of his filmography, a lot of which wasn't very accessible at the time. That's no longer as true today, so the book may not be as essential as I once thought it was. I believe it also includes sections on his stage work and his actor-only gigs.

I've long been curious about the Fassbinder book edited and co-written by Tony Rayns, partly because I so reflexively identify him as "the Asian-cinema guy" even though I'm fully aware of stuff like his video essay on Criterion's Arabian Nights, or his articles on non-Asian films in Sight and Sound. I have no idea how that one is, but given that it was published when Fassbinder was still alive, it obviously isn't comprehensive, and I'm guessing it doesn't get much into his biography.

accatone

#358 Post by accatone » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 am

Some years ago i invested some time into reading about Fassbinder. Almost everything in german language so this might only be interesting to few around here - i am not sure about available translations. After Fassbinders death most of his collaborators put out books about their relationship to RWF. If you knew about the specific "group-love-relationships" before, its very interesting (and the intentions are very much obvious with each release) how individual each books point of view unfolds. Famous examples are Juliane Lorenz Das ganz normale Chaos and on the other hand Kurt Raab/Karsten Peters Die Sehnsucht des Rainer Werner Fassbinder. The latter much more personal than the former (-> RWF Foundation…). There is Harry Baers Schlafen kann ich, wenn ich tot bin, There are plenty of mopnographs that i am leaving out here but one of the more recent ones is Jürgen Trimborns Ein Tag ist ein Jahr ist ein Leben (that i did not find very interesting i.e. adding up to whats allready known). Christian Braad Thomsens Rainer Werner Fassbinder was/is out of print for some time. I bought it anyway as it was recommanded by scholary sources. Same goes for Thomas Elsaessers book Rainer Werner Fassbinder, that i found rather academic, focusing too much on film analysis for my taste. By far the most (quality!) entertaining and rewarding book for me was Die 13 Jahre des RainerWerner Fassbinder by the one and only Peter Berling. As an insider to New German Cinema (and Euro cinema at that time in general), some may know him from his collaboration with Herzog and even more interesting, as an interview partner to Alexander Kluge. This one is again more personal but combined with his knowledge and grandezza of story telling, absolutly recommanded.
I must admit that with such an "outgoing" person like RWF, the more gossipy storys are hillarious. Meeting Andy Warhol in NYC and/or Claudia Cardinale (with Helmut Berger in the bedroom) at her Villa at Costa Smeralda are just two examples.

zedz

#359 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:17 pm

accatone wrote:Some years ago i invested some time into reading about Fassbinder. Almost everything in german language so this might only be interesting to few around here - i am not sure about available translations. After Fassbinders death most of his collaborators put out books about their relationship to RWF. If you knew about the specific "group-love-relationships" before, its very interesting (and the intentions are very much obvious with each release) how individual each books point of view unfolds. Famous examples are Juliane Lorenz Das ganz normale Chaos and on the other hand Kurt Raab/Karsten Peters Die Sehnsucht des Rainer Werner Fassbinder. The latter much more personal than the former (-> RWF Foundation…). There is Harry Baers Schlafen kann ich, wenn ich tot bin, There are plenty of mopnographs that i am leaving out here but one of the more recent ones is Jürgen Trimborns Ein Tag ist ein Jahr ist ein Leben (that i did not find very interesting i.e. adding up to whats allready known). Christian Braad Thomsens Rainer Werner Fassbinder was/is out of print for some time. I bought it anyway as it was recommanded by scholary sources. Same goes for Thomas Elsaessers book Rainer Werner Fassbinder, that i found rather academic, focusing too much on film analysis for my taste. By far the most (quality!) entertaining and rewarding book for me was Die 13 Jahre des RainerWerner Fassbinder by the one and only Peter Berling. As an insider to New German Cinema (and Euro cinema at that time in general), some may know him from his collaboration with Herzog and even more interesting, as an interview partner to Alexander Kluge. This one is again more personal but combined with his knowledge and grandezza of story telling, absolutly recommanded.
I must admit that with such an "outgoing" person like RWF, the more gossipy storys are hillarious. Meeting Andy Warhol in NYC and/or Claudia Cardinale (with Helmut Berger in the bedroom) at her Villa at Costa Smeralda are just two examples.
Is the Berling book from the 80s? If so, I think it was translated as Love Is Colder Than Death (it was credited to Robert Katz & Peter Berling), which I've read and which is entertainingly trashy. Anybody who's seen any of Berling's interviews with Kluge know that he's a gifted raconteur.

accatone

#360 Post by accatone » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 pm

This must be a different book. The one i am talking about is from the early ninties and has 600+ pages.
As its out of print i will link to amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/Die-Jahre-Rainer-W ... 378570643X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe the book you are talking about is some kind of preface? Anyway, both should be of similar tone. Very funny indeed.

jorencain

Rainer Werner Fassbinder

#361 Post by jorencain » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:30 am

Image Somebody better start working on a Fassbinder biopic and get Angus T. Jones ("Two and a Half Men") involved.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#362 Post by lacritfan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:28 pm

jorencain wrote:Somebody better start working on a Fassbinder biopic and get Angus T. Jones ("Two and a Half Men") involved.
If he's still ultra religious he probably won't want to play someone as "immoral" as Fassbinder.

MichaelB

#363 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:29 pm

I recommend this bloke off the Jeremy Kyle show (Britain's closest equivalent to Jerry Springer).

Granted, he probably can't act, but that never stopped Fellini.

Zot!

#364 Post by Zot! » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:44 pm

lacritfan wrote:
jorencain wrote:Somebody better start working on a Fassbinder biopic and get Angus T. Jones ("Two and a Half Men") involved.
If he's still ultra religious he probably won't want to play someone as "immoral" as Fassbinder.
He seemed to be able to get along with Charlie Sheen, so I doubt he would be too surprised.

thirtyframesasecond

#365 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 am

Does anyone know if RWF's documentary Theater in Trance (1981) is available with English subs?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#366 Post by ando » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 am

Film Comment's digital collection (excellent price) looks promising; 11 articles, 85 pages - a modest but interesting collection.

Has anyone read Peucker's Companion to Fassbinder?

Also, MOMA is screening Berlin Alexanderplatz over several days here in New York beginning September 13. Wish I could attend the entire run but I'll have to settle for the concluding episodes. :| What am I saying? I've got to make the initial episodes. The first part, The Punishment Begins, is stunning and what initially made me an admirer of Fassbinder.

Ribs

#367 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:36 am

Restored version of Eight Hours Don't Make a Day premiering at Berlinale

Obviously this will just go in the pile of forthcoming RWF Criterion releases but this certainly seems like a good centerpiece for the inevitable second Arrow set of the new restos

kekid

#368 Post by kekid » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Does Arrow have rights to "Berlin Alexanderplatz"?
Is the second set of Arrow Fassbinders a certainty (apart from timing)?

kwippleton

#369 Post by kwippleton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Do you guys think Berlin Alexanderplatz will be getting an upgrade (or a release by Arrow or someone else) in the near future? Have been working my way through the Fassbinder filmography as of late and really want to see it, but don't want to drop the money on DVDs.

Ribs

#370 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Everything's in the pipeline to be restored at some point, hence why another Arrow set should be a certainty (once further restos have accrued). I think Berlin... will be restored too but I doubt Criterion would be at all timely with an upgrade (Cassavetes still literally the only box they've upgraded.) I dunno what else has been done but if possible I'd imagine a "The TV Works" set would be killer.

kwippleton

#371 Post by kwippleton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Hoping that Arrow does a second box - I've got the first one and really love it.

I noticed that Filmstruck has the BRD Trilogy, so maybe Criterion will upgrade those?

pet42

#372 Post by pet42 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Berlin Alexanderplatz will be released in Germany on Blu-ray by StudioCanal February 9th next year: Link

adam_hu

#373 Post by adam_hu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I did not find the info on Berlin, Alexanderplatz BluRay from Studio Canal but early February Studio Canal is releasing two new Fassbinder Blu Ray sets for Germany:
Acht Stunden sind kein Tag (Tv Series, first time ever release), also out on DVD
Fassbinder Edition with previously available films but Lola might be the first time Blu Ray release.

Criterion in the US is releasing Fox & Friends in two weeks on Blu Ray also!

fdm

#374 Post by fdm » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Baal (1970) was released last year in Germany. The blu-ray has English (and French) subs. Fassbinder acts, Schlöndorff directs.

kwippleton

#375 Post by kwippleton » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:30 pm

This article about the restored Eight Hours Don't Make a Day mentions that it's the 'the last of his major works to be restored.'

http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/ ... 201976919/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully they meant 'latest' and not final?