Asghar Farhadi

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Asghar Farhadi

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Asghar Farhadi (1972 - )

"I believe that art in the face of censorship is like water in the face of a stone. The water will find a way to flow around it."

Filmography
Features
Dancing in the Dust (2003)
The Beautiful City (2004)
Fireworks Wednesday (2006)
About Elly (2009)
A Separation (2011)
The Past (2013)
The Salesman (2016)
Everybody Knows (2018)

Television
The Waiter (1998)
Farrokh & Faraj Residential Complex (1998)
Story of a City (1999)
Story of a City II (2001)

Books
Asghar Farhadi: Life and Cinema by Tina Hassannia (2014)

Web Resources
2011 interview with Saeed Kamali Dehghan, The Guardian
2013 interview with Laya Maheshwari, IndieWire
2014 interview with Laya Maheshwari, Filmmaker Magazine
2017 interview with Smriti Kiran, Film Companion
2017 interview with Hillary Weston, Criterion Current
2017 interview with Matthew Eng, Reverse Shot
2017 interview with Matt Fagerholm, RogerEbert.com
"How Iran’s Greatest Director Makes Art of Moral Ambiguity" by Giles Harvey, The New York Times Magazine (2019)

Forum Resources
A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
The Past (Asghar Farhadi, 2013)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Asghar Farhadi

#2 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Nice photo! "I believe that I vaaaaant to suck your blood!"

FrauBlucher

#3 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Awesome! One of my faves.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm

"How Iran’s Greatest Director Makes Art of Moral Ambiguity" is a solid 5,500-word profile and look at Everybody Knows from The New York Times Magazine, and I'm glad to have it... but that headline is pretty definitive when Rasoulof, Makhmalbaf, and Panahi are still around.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 pm

How the Director From Iran We've Heard of Makes Art of Moral Ambiguity

BenoitRouilly

#7 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:41 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm
but that headline is pretty definitive when Rasoulof, Makhmalbaf, and Panahi are still around.
I agree he is greater than these others. His cinema might be more "mainstream", in style and content, but he masters his craft on a greater scale. His films are perfectly written and mis-en-scène. He's the "Bergman of Iran". And the greatest living Iranian filmmaker since Kiarostami (who was even greater of course).
I've seen his last seven feature films. Even though I'm less convinced by his venture in foreign language territory, still they are great cinema.
To me A Separation, About Elly and Fireworks Wednesday are his masterpieces.

Glowingwabbit

#8 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:41 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm
but that headline is pretty definitive when Rasoulof, Makhmalbaf, and Panahi are still around.
I agree he is greater than these others. His cinema might be more "mainstream", in style and content, but he masters his craft on a greater scale. His films are perfectly written and mis-en-scène. He's the "Bergman of Iran". And the greatest living Iranian filmmaker since Kiarostami (who was even greater of course).
I've seen his last seven feature films. Even though I'm less convinced by his venture in foreign language territory, still they are great cinema.
To me A Separation, About Elly and Fireworks Wednesday are his masterpieces.
His films are nicely made for sure, but there no where near as interesting as the films of Makhmalbaf and Panahi. I'm probably in the minority here but "perfectly written and mis-en-scene" doesn't do much for me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm

He's more like the Lelouch of Iran. He's fine

Rasoulof is the Pasolini and Panahi is the Bergman

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#10 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm

My reaction to him is -- "he's okay, I guess" ;-)

knives

#11 Post by knives » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm

What does that make Makhmalbaf and family?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:29 pm

A Separation, About Elly, and Le passé are all tremendous films, Lelouch wishes he was the French Farhadi

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm

knives wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm
swo17 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm

What does that make Makhmalbaf and family?
I dunno, Coppola? I haven't really thought this through

P.S. I made this statement having rather enjoyed the Lelouch film I just saw, Roman de gare

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Ironically, with its conscious toying of the audience and gradual revelations of key narrative elements, that may be the only Lelouch film that could be fairly compared to Farhadi (though Lelouch’s film is doing it for wonderfully playful and somewhat trashy returns rather than following the traditional playwright’s dramatic structures of revelation Farhadi favors)

knives

#15 Post by knives » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:36 pm

I was thinking Huston. Also being better than Lelouch is the special olympics of art house conservatism.

BenoitRouilly

#16 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm
I'm probably in the minority here but "perfectly written and mis-en-scene" doesn't do much for me.
What is your criteria then?

Glowingwabbit

#17 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm
I'm probably in the minority here but "perfectly written and mis-en-scene" doesn't do much for me.
What is your criteria then?
I'd say my criteria in this case particular is that Panahi and Makhmalbaf (like Kiarostami) have reshaped/challenged my perception of what cinema is/can be (especially in relation to fiction and reality), which I hold in higher regard to to anything Farhadi has done. And that's just my criteria in this particular argument. I'm not saying Farhadi is bad or that I dislike his films, just that I would never put him at the level of the other 3. Is he a better craftsman, sure, but that's like saying someone is a talented musician, it doesn't mean that their music is interesting.

therewillbeblus

#18 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

About Elly was a fabulous exercise in pacing while unfolding information across a conscientiously withholding narrative. I liked A Separation and The Salesman slightly less but didn't find either particularly novel in their expositions to make them sit with me as something special, but I wouldn't say anything bad about them either.

BenoitRouilly

#19 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Is he a better craftsman, sure
Then we agree. :)
I get what you say about the innovation of the others, but in spite of this difference I still believe his storytelling and dramaturgy bring more to cinema.
Kubrick was a "mainstream" genre auteur as well yet was superior to most because of his craft and talent. Farhadi doesn't compare to Kubrick (yet), but it's the same situation. And give him time. Bergman did Persona 20 years into his career...

There is a lot of mixed feelings around here... He's good but not good enough. It's worse than being polarizing.
I wonder what is it you miss in his films that are perfect at doing what they are designed for.

Glowingwabbit

#20 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

BenoitRouilly wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm
I wonder what is it you miss in his films that are perfect at doing what they are designed for.
I don't think I'm missing anything, I just don't think he's done anything as interesting or radical as the other 3 Iranian directors mentioned.

zedz

#21 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm also in the "not all that" camp. Farhadi makes the kind of tasteful dramas for middle-class audiences that used to define the 'French Films in Colour' arthouse cliche, but with an Iranian twist. There's nothing wrong with that, and he does it very well, but I just don't find it exciting, just as I don't find Claude Miller or Andre Techine exciting.

I also find that his work has got less interesting and more contrived as it's become more international, in terms of audience, production and content. I feel like he steadily improved over his first three features, then steadily declined thereafter, leaving Fireworks Wednesday as his peak and Beautiful City, About Elly and A Separation as the next best works. And none of his subsequent films are to me even as good as his debut, Dancing in the Dust.

There are a lot of Iranian directors who have done and are still doing much more interesting work, not just the big three / four named in this thread.

knives

#22 Post by knives » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm

Though I am thankful he's replaced Majid Majidi as the choice for middle class audiences.

zedz

#23 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:50 pm

He's certainly a lot more sophisticated than Majidi.

furbicide

#24 Post by furbicide » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 am

Farhadi's an undeniably excellent director in terms of craft, but it took me a while to figure out what was holding me back from fully embracing his work, and I think it's this: there's something schematic and even manipulative about the way he constructs his narratives, as if the entire story structure had been crafted backwards and everything else were just filling the gaps between key plot points and "twists". It's a pity; his characters are often really well constructed and he's always dealing with deeply interesting themes, but he's playing the same game with the audience every time. I was trying to think of who he reminds me of most in terms of that particular approach to scripting/filmmaking, and I realise it's actually Alan Ball (specifically, American Beauty and Towelhead) – whose work has, I think most people agree, not aged particularly well. I wonder if Farhadi's films will be viewed similarly in the years to come.

zedz

#25 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm

That's a good observation, and one I thought was particularly true of The Past, a film I found way too contrived and "writerly".