Terrence Malick

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Terrence Malick

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Terrence Malick (1943 - )

"When people express what is most important to them, it often comes out in cliches. That doesn't make them laughable; it's something tender about them. As though in struggling to reach what's most personal about them they could only come up with what's most public."

Filmography (Features and Short Films)
Lanton Mills [short] (1969)
Badlands (1973)
Days of Heaven (1978)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
The New World (2005)
The Tree of Life (2011)
To the Wonder (2013)
Knight of Cups (2015)
Voyage of Time (2016)
Song to Song (2017)
A Hidden Life (2019)

Print Resources
One Big Soul: An Oral History of Terrence Malick, Paul Maher, Jr. (3rd Edition - 2014)
Terrence Malick: Film and Philosophy, Thomas Deane Tucker and Stuart Kendall, eds. (2014)
Terrence Malick and the Thought of Film, Steven Rybin (2012)
The Thin Red Line (Philosophers on Film), David Davies, ed. (2008)

Web Resources
The Directors Series video essay, "Terrence Malick - Part I: Crimes of Passion"
The Directors Series video essay, "Terrence Malick - Part II: Paradise Conquered"
The Directors Series video essay, "Terrence Malick - Part III: A Spacetime Odyssey"
The Directors Series video essay, "Terrence Malick - Part IV: The Freefall Triptych"
Cinephilia and Beyond resources on Malick, including videos, interviews, and scripts
Film-Philosophy, "A Heideggerian Cinema?: On Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line"
Off Screen, "On the Objects in Days of Heaven"
Off Screen, "The Thin Red Line – Every Man Is A Universe"
Off Screen, "Nature and Grace, Image and Thought: Terrence Malick’s The Tree of Life"
Film Comment, "Let There Be Light: The Thin Red Line"
Film Comment, "Light Years: Kent Jones on The Tree of Life"

Forum Discussion
651 Badlands
409 Days of Heaven
536 The Thin Red Line
826 The New World
942 The Tree of Life
To the Wonder (Terrence Malick, 2013)
Knight of Cups (Terrence Malick, 2015)
Voyage of Time (Terrence Malick, 2016)
Song to Song (Terrence Malick, 2017)
Radegund (Terrence Malick, 2018)
Malick and Heidegger
Last edited by DarkImbecile on Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarkImbecile

Re: Terrence Malick

#2 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Surprised that one of these didn't exist already for maybe the most singular American director alive and working... I just banged this out this morning, so please provide any further web links, print resources, or missing info and I'll update as needed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Why, we literally have a separate thread for every film he has made, this is totally unnecessary

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Wouldn't the discussion of a filmmaker happen first, and then this be a threadsplit? I started the PTA thread because there was nowhere to put an article on Boogie Nights, but like Domino mentioned - we have threads for all these films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:41 pm

What about when we want to talk about what hat he was most recently seen wearing?

DarkImbecile

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Well, uh... hmm... I guess if you look at it that way, it is unnecessary. But look at that nice picture I found of Terry (not easy) and all the nice links and such!

Seriously, I may have been a little too enthusiastic after yesterday's trailer, so feel free to send this topic off to live on a nice farm upstate somewhere, but I don't see what it hurts to let the runt live, even as a placeholder until a more comprehensive conversation of the man's career happens to occur.

matrixschmatrix

#7 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

I dunno, it's nice to have all the links and stuff in one place, even if there isn't really any discussion yet

Oedipax

#8 Post by Oedipax » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:37 pm

swo17 wrote:What about when we want to talk about what hat he was most recently seen wearing?
I've got just the YouTube for that!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Great YouTube comment:
Right foot. Left foot. Always you wrestle inside of me. Always you will.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 pm

flyonthewall2983

#11 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 am

When did he start using digital?

Oedipax

#12 Post by Oedipax » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:41 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:When did he start using digital?
I remember a post on the RedUser forums years and years ago about how one of the RED camera owner-operators there got to spend a night driving around with Terrence Malick, Sean Penn and Lubezki shooting driving shots for Tree of Life. So he was beginning to experiment then, but I don't think any of those shots made the final edit.

The scenes in To the Wonder where Kurylenko returns to Paris are shot on some version of the RED camera, reportedly to give contemporary Paris a cold, distant mood. And there are also the consumer video shots at the beginning.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I feel like there should be some sort of scoreboard about film/digital (or those who use both, like Scorsese is fond of doing).

criterion10

#14 Post by criterion10 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:When did he start using digital?The scenes in To the Wonder where Kurylenko returns to Paris are shot on some version of the RED camera, reportedly to give contemporary Paris a cold, distant mood. And there are also the consumer video shots at the beginning.
The opening shots of To the Wonder were actually shot using the Digital Harinezumi. I have a camera myself, and it's really wonderful, like replicating 8mm footage through a digital lens.

George Drooly

#15 Post by George Drooly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 736&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back cover of the 1976 album of Carly Simon, ANOTHER PASSENGER.
And yes, the smoking-pensive coin-throwing Riverboat gambler is... Terrence Malick

solaris72

#16 Post by solaris72 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Terrence Malick appeared in public at a NJ theater...and actually talked about his work...

pzadvance

#17 Post by pzadvance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Malick made a VR short that will premiere at this year's SXSW.
“TOGETHER” is a VR experience about the power of human connection. The piece fuses dance and technology, putting the viewer in the middle of an emotional narrative about breaking down barriers and bringing people closer.

The experience was created in collaboration with Palme d'Or winning director Terrence Malick, Academy Award nominated cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto and movement artists Jon Boogz and Lil Buck along with Facebook's creative studio, The Factory.

VR challenged Malick and Prieto to rethink the traditional narrative structure and deliver a piece that uses VR to tell a timeless story about human connection.

Big Ben

#18 Post by Big Ben » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I wonder how he'll release it. I will laugh my ass off if he puts it out on Steam.

DarkImbecile

#19 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

BenoitRouilly

#20 Post by BenoitRouilly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:18 am

The Tree of Life (extended cut) 189'
will be at the Venice Festival 2018 (Sconfini)
http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/201 ... tended-cut

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:06 am

Huh, that M83 song on the soundtrack was my daughter's favorite song when she was 3. More Malick in short bursts like this please!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:15 am

Terrence Malick is a family friend of deceased Soundcloud rapper Gustav "Gus" Elijah Åhr aka Lil Peep, will executive produce a documentary about his 21-year-long life

Would like to see something stranger in the news today. Your move, news.

Stefan Andersson

#24 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am

Interesting two-part list of similarities between early Malick films:
http://www.eskimo.com/~toates/malick/simlist.html

Bibliograpical info:
http://www.eskimo.com/~toates/malick/tmarticles.html

Good info on Badlands:
https://cinephiliabeyond.org/badlands-t ... can-dream/
Scroll down for clickable links to several other Malick films.
Cinephilia Beyond is a really good site, featuring in-depth texts on many films.

Skrmng Skll Th Thd

#25 Post by Skrmng Skll Th Thd » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 am
Interesting two-part list of similarities between early Malick films:
http://www.eskimo.com/~toates/malick/simlist.html
Boy that's some knuckleheaded stuff.

"Cast member in film A drinks from a bottle. Cast member in film B buys bottle in grocery store. Cast member in film C passes broken bottle in street." Discuss!

On the other hand, the 1975 interview with Malick about Badlands is excellent:
"She's a typical Southern girl in her desire to help, to give hard fact; not to dwell upon herself, which to her would be unseemly, but always to keep in mind the needs of others. She wants to come off in the best possible light, but she's scrupulous enough to take responsibility where in any way she might have contributed."

I suggest to Malick that the film has been criticised for patronising Holly and her milieu. "That's foolishness. I grew up around people like Kit and Holly. I see no gulf between them and myself. One of the things the actors and I used to talk about was never stepping outside the characters and winking at the audience, never getting off the hook. If you keep your hands off the characters you open yourself to charges like that; at least you have no defence against them. What I find patronising is people not leaving the characters alone, stacking the deck for them, not respecting their integrity, their difference.

[...] You should always feel there are large parts of her experience she's not including because she has a strong, if misplaced, sense of propriety. You might well wonder how anyone going through what she does could be at all concerned with proprieties. But she is. And her kind of cliché didn't begin with pulp magazines, as some critics have suggested. It exists in Nancy Drew and Tom Sawyer. It's not the mark of a diminished, pulp-fed mind, I'm trying to say, but of the 'innocent abroad.' When people express what is most important to them, it often comes out in cliches. That doesn't make them laughable; it's something tender about them. As though in struggling to reach what's most personal about them they could only come up with what's most public.

[...]Kit, on the other hand, is a closed book, not a rare trait in people who have tasted more than their share of bitterness in life. The movies have kept up a myth that suffering makes you deep. It inclines you to say deep things. It builds character and is generally healthful. It teaches you lessons you never forget. People who've suffered go around in movies with long, thoughtful faces, as though everything had caved in just yesterday. It's not that way in real life, though, not always. Suffering can make you shallow and just the opposite of vulnerable, dense. It's had this kind of effect on Kit.

[...]He wants to be like them, like the rich man he locks in the closet, the only man he doesn't kill, the only man he sympathises with, and the one least in need of sympathy. It's not infrequently the people at the bottom who most vigorously defend the very rules that put and keep them there.

And there's something about growing up in the Midwest. There's no check on you. People imagine it's the kind of place where your behaviour is under constant observation, where you really have to toe the line. They got that idea from Sinclair Lewis. But people can really get ignored there and fall into bad soil. Kit did, and he grew up like a big poisonous weed.