Bertrand Tavernier

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Koukol

Bertrand Tavernier

#1 Post by Koukol » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Where's the love for Tavernier?

I would love to see a Criterion release of THE PASSION OF BEATRICE.
I believe it's Julie Delpy's first role in a film that takes place in the middle ages.
She plays a strong daughter who along with her brother is terrorized by her father once he returns from battle disillusioned.
It's a powerful film that hasn't even got a DVD release yet.
Last edited by Koukol on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Phillips

Re: Bertrand Tavernier

#2 Post by Jack Phillips » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm not much of a fan of BEATRICE. However, I like a lot of his other films, especially Coup de torchon. Recent Blu-rays that look very good are Death Watch and The Princess of Montpensier (region B).

albucat

#3 Post by albucat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Having only seen a handful of his films, I'd love to have more easily available. I'm a big fan of what I've seen, but he's never really caught on here as an arthouse phenomenon.

GaryC

#4 Post by GaryC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Une semaine de vacances and Sunday in the Country are long overdue releases in the UK on DVD, let alone Blu-ray.

And Beatrice has never had a UK release at all, not even in the cinema - I've never seen it.

Tim

#5 Post by Tim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that I saw Beatrice at the NFT, without subtitles but with live translation through headphones. It's been a while though, so maybe someone will correct me on that.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#6 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm

For anyone interested in french film-making under the occupation or coming off the back of the Gremillon Eclipse set Laissez-Passer is a must.
The AE edition and french editions have some exhaustive supplements with Tavernier filling in the background as well as the film itself dealing with the making of Tourneur's La Main du Diable.
I saw him give a 'masterclass' at GFT a few years back and the boy sure can talk and is very entertaining and knowledgeable. News from Gaumont also that he is curating/involved with a Complete Continental Films box set for them. But don't hold your breath as it's a few years off yet.

GaryC

#7 Post by GaryC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Tim wrote:I'm pretty sure that I saw Beatrice at the NFT, without subtitles but with live translation through headphones. It's been a while though, so maybe someone will correct me on that.
I do remember a NFT showing that I couldn't get to. But it certainly has never had a UK commercial release.

Tavernier has made a lot of films, but there are quite a few which haven't been released here. StudioCanal (then called Optimum) put out five DVDs a few years back as The Bertrand Tavernier Collection - wonder if they could release a few more?

doc mccoy

#8 Post by doc mccoy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm

The UK dvd releases of Watchmaker of St Paul and L.627 are certainly very good extras-wise. Tavernier is terrific value as a commentator - on L.627, he gives a very funny anecdote of the Interior Minister criticizing his film, and how he ordered a certain precinct to be destroyed; let's just say that Bertrand had the last laugh on that one.

I really don't get the lack of love for Tavernier in the UK at least - there are still no dvd releases of:

Let Joy reign supreme
Sunday in the country
Life and nothing but
The Bait
Captain Conan
Holy Lola

Incidently, what are the Kino dvd releases of "Let Joy.." and "Life and Nothing but" like?

GaryC

#9 Post by GaryC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:59 pm

doc mccoy wrote:I really don't get the lack of love for Tavernier in the UK at least - there are still no dvd releases of:

Let Joy reign supreme
Sunday in the country
Life and nothing but
The Bait
Captain Conan
Holy Lola
Let Joy Reign Supreme, Captain Conan and Holy Lola didn't even get UK cinema releases. Artificial Eye released the other three in the cinema and on VHS, but not on DVD - I don't know if they still have the rights?

Daddy Nostalgie/These Foolish Things is another which came out on VHS but not on DVD - Tartan were the VHS distributor in that case.

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

It might be interesting to note that in the BBC's recent series focusing on archive interviews with actors "Talking Pictures" the episode devoted to Dirk Bogarde ended with Barry Norman's interview with Bogarde at the time of Daddy Nostalgie's release (which turned out to be Bogarde's last film). That would perhaps have been a great opportunity to show the film following the episode - unfortunately only Doctor In The House and Hot Enough For June got re-screenings instead!

AidanKing

#11 Post by AidanKing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am

The French DVDs of Sunday in the Country and Captain Conan have subtitles on the films but not the extras. This is particularly a shame in the case of Captain Conan as it has what looks like a rather good (and lengthy) making of documentary by Tavernier's son on a second disc.

The film's pretty good too: one of those where you struggle to work out why it didn't get UK distribution.

Ann Harding

#12 Post by Ann Harding » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

I guess it's the best place to post this. My book about Continental Films is coming out on October 16th, 2017. Bertrand Tavernier (who made Laissez-passer) wrote the foreword.

Continental Films - Cinéma français sous contrôle allemand by Christine Leteux
publisher: La Tour Verte
400 pages, 16 p. illustrations

October 1940. A German producer, Alfred Greven, creates in occupied Paris, a new film production company, Continental Films for which he hires the most famous stars (Danielle Darrieux, Fernandel, Raimu, Harry Baur) and great filmmakers (Marcel Carné, Maurice Tourneur, Henri Decoin, Henri-Georges Clouzot). During the four years of occupation, Continental produces 30 films; some are masterpieces like Les Inconnus dans la maison (1942, H. Decoin) and Le Corbeau (1943, H.-G. Clouzot). For the first time, the history of this company, of its creater, and of those who worked there, is told from the inside thanks to unpublished French and German archives. New light will be cast on the deleterious atmosphere inside Continental, the famous trip to Berlin of French artists in March 1942 and the mysterious death of Harry Baur.