The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
knives

Re: The Lists Project

#2101 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Bob Clampett first in that case or maybe just a huge Termite Terrace list.

Werewolf by Night

The Lists Project

#2102 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Not a new idea, but Hawks would be efficient to run concurrently (or in succession) with the screwball list (if it’s still happening, which I hope it is).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2103 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Screwball Comedies is still happening-- you can check the set schedule for confirmed future lists here. Hawks received enough votes last time to secure a place in a future auteur list, so it'll happen eventually, but not sure when yet. Horror Redux is the only thing I know for sure will make the schedule next year, as it was our most popular List Project the first time and a second round was the most popular suggestion during the polling. Beyond that, we'll see!

I will think on the suggestions so far and weigh in on feasibility later. I know nothing about Termite Terrace / Bob Clampett / &c, so someone's going to have to prepare a dossier for me on why it should be an Auteur or Mini-List. I think there will be another poll once I figure out all our options, and I may throw in a few of the rejected ideas just to test if the waters have changed (ie I'm still pissed at you all for not voting for a Chabrol List and being the coordinator has some minor perks). Keep up the ideas and suggestions! No rush, obviously, but something to have percolating in the back of your minds

EDIT: Nevermind, these aren't that hard of calls:
+ Wilder I think would work, though it's still an awfully small number of films. I imagine I'll throw it up in the poll and let God sort it out
+ Spielberg has the 30+ films, and is well-seen, but is he someone who benefits from a close study? Would people participate? Are the odds good that there are enough discoveries to be made looking in the nooks and cranies of the most popular director alive?
+ Does anyone care about Lumet to do a List Project? I'm skeptical when far more well-liked directors here failed to make the cut last time. If someone makes a convincing argument I may add him to the poll
+ Otto Preminger... I have no idea why he wasn't suggested before. I think he's a shoo-in for the poll
+ De Palma doesn't have thirty but he's close. I'm biased because I don't like him on the whole, but then again, I don't like Kurosawa and he's happening eventually too, so it doesn't matter. Yeah all right I'll add him to the poll. Same for Herzog, sadly
+ Scorsese doesn't have close to thirty narrative features, and I don't really think all these musician bios are worth padding the numbers to make it happen. Hard pass

knives

#2104 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Just to second that, please people go for some Chabrol. Finally a decent number of his films are available in great condition and for about two minutes near the end he was the greatest living filmmaker.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2105 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I would love a science fiction project.

Rayon Vert

#2106 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 pm

What about a combined Ray-Aldrich-Fuller-Mann list? (Favourites of Cahiers du Cinema Crowd).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2107 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Rayon Vert, Sci-Fi all ready qualified, it'll be a full list sometime

knives

#2108 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Action and romance as well seem like good traditional genres to play with. Also would it be too ridiculous to suggest countries/ regions?

Mr Sausage

#2109 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 pm

What about a list project for studios that tend(ed) to specialize in certain types of films, eg. Hammer.

knives

#2110 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Would Hammer by itself have enough films of quality for a list?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2111 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Romance was nixed in the last poll. I tried to get interest in a France List and no one thought it was a good idea, but my regular viewings are already a France List so whatever. I think a studio-specific list sounds intriguing, though I fear for Hammer it's too close to an existing List (Horror)

Rayon Vert

#2112 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:48 pm
+ Does anyone care about Lumet to do a List Project? I'm skeptical when far more well-liked directors here failed to make the cut last time. If someone makes a convincing argument I may add him to the poll
I'd be interested in that one just because I've seen very few of his films so far.

Mr Sausage

#2113 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm
I think a studio-specific list sounds intriguing, though I fear for Hammer it's too close to an existing List (Horror)
I think the problem is that studio specific lists are going to tend to be close to existing lists, whether genre or decade, by nature.

I'd also love to do an action list. As a whole, the action genre lends itself to a lot of political and cultural discussion (especially when looking across different decades and nations). Plus, you know, they're a lot of fun.

knives

#2114 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm
Romance was nixed in the last poll. I tried to get interest in a France List and no one thought it was a good idea, but my regular viewings are already a France List so whatever. I think a studio-specific list sounds intriguing, though I fear for Hammer it's too close to an existing List (Horror)
That's unfortunate, though maybe that's because of the ready made surplus of French films (I'm not particularly favorable to the country and it still is the second most scene by me). I wonder then if a less obvious country (though still abundantly popular) like Japan or Italy would do better at the polls?
Also a pox on those that voted against romance.

Werewolf by Night

#2115 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Any interest in a John Huston auteur list? It’s hard to get a read on his reputation here.

knives

#2116 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I'd be down.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2117 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Oh my God you guys, please read the post I linked to, I can't keep saying the same thing haha

Werewolf by Night

The Lists Project

#2118 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Sorry, I did read it but overlooked Huston’s name. I retract my suggestion (and I guess my estimation of his reputation here has been confirmed).

Rayon Vert

#2119 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I interrupted it a while back, but personally I've been doing Borzage. I've got 28 of his - Criterion's release of Moonrise will bring it up to 29. And there are other films available from him, as I didn't get everything I could.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2120 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:11 pm
Sorry, I did read it but overlooked Huston’s name. I retract my suggestion (and I guess my estimation of his reputation here has been confirmed).
It's okay, I just thought it was getting a bit like vaudeville in here!

Honestly, if enough of our regular contributors to the List Projects think they'd participate in a previously nixed list idea, make it known and I'll put it up in this year's poll

Rayon Vert

#2121 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm

By nixed, if you mean those "no longer in contention" based on previous surveys, I'd be up for: New German Cinema, Altman, Cukor, Huston, Chabrol, Wyler

Has someone ever proposed spy films?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2122 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm
By nixed, if you mean those "no longer in contention" based on previous surveys
Yep!

BenoitRouilly

#2123 Post by BenoitRouilly » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:27 pm

I like these Top50 decade lists

I made this list a while ago : the greatest decades in order the 60ies, the 2000s, the 50ies, the 90ies, the 20ies...
Image from Screenville

diamonds

#2124 Post by diamonds » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm
Has someone ever proposed spy films?
I'm really curious if there are "enough" films for this. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy would constitute one of my favorite "genres," but I haven't been too successful finding other films that feel like them – slow-moving spy dramas versus films with spies that tend toward action or crime. If anything, I'd love to see (and participate in) a list project like this for the discovery aspect.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2125 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:44 pm

As stated earlier, I'm going to make another poll for upcoming lists. There is some carryover for lists nixed last time, but I will not be putting up suggestions from the last poll that bombed terribly (sorry about Cukor, Rayon Vert). I will not be putting up suggestions that have already been confirmed for a future list. Here is what I have, which is mostly potential auteur lists:
Claude Chabrol
Brian de Palma
Werner Herzog
John Huston
Otto Preminger
Steven Spielberg
Billy Wilder
William Wyler

Cesar Best Film nominees and winners
Shakespeare Adaptations
I will make a thread with a link to the poll, which will be a thirty day poll like last time, when it's ready. If anyone has any good suggestions that have not already been confirmed or nixed, please speak now or wait another year for me to do this again (maybe)