The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: The Lists Project

#2076 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Has there ever been any consideration for accepting a smaller-than-50 list into the final scoring? Real life has resulted in me not getting any viewings in for the 20's project, and since the list of films I've already seen from that decade is rather short, reaching 50 quality films seems rather daunting at this point. If I could submit a list of, say, 30 films, with the number 1 film only being worth 30 points instead of 50, it would be a good motivation to start dipping into this era, but trying to fit another 40 films in before June feels overwhelming.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2077 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm

I don't think that's a change I want to make, but by all means, you should still participate in the discussions and follow other people's recommendations to the extent you are able.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2078 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Just going to throw this out there as an idea: We are about to start the Summer With Jean, Jean, and John, with three back to back Auteur lists for Renoir, Godard, and Ford. Would people prefer we keep the discussion and deadlines like usual (as per the stated dates in the first post), with each running one after the other, or would you be open to a true Summer with Jean, Jean, and John with all three being open for several months concurrently and all ending at the same time? This would enable discussion to weave in and out depending on what auteur you wanted to revisit or watch, but could also potentially leave discussion stretched thin all Summer as well, or possibly overshadow one or more of the subjects. Thoughts?

zedz

#2079 Post by zedz » Tue May 29, 2018 6:41 pm

I really like the idea of running those three lists / discussions concurrently. It provides a longer 'active' period to work one's way through a large number of films and should help allay burnout on a single director's work. July and August will be full-on film festival season for me, so I'm not going to have time to watch anything much at home, which would rule me out for whoever's deadline falls around then.

Ribs

#2080 Post by Ribs » Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm

It would also be possible, if deeply silly, to have a joint list of all three of them for no real reason in particular in addition to the three individual ones if done this way

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2081 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Either is good for me, but there is an advantage, as zedz says, to have more time to revisit a director one might want or need more time to revisit (Godard for me, likely). Although I do like the idea of restricting your viewing during a continuous period to a single director.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2082 Post by swo17 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm
It would also be possible, if deeply silly, to have a joint list of all three of them for no real reason in particular in addition to the three individual ones if done this way
This would be dumb unless I could slip some Grémillon on there

movielocke

#2083 Post by movielocke » Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 am

I like concurrent

Werewolf by Night

#2084 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed May 30, 2018 9:23 am

The same board that always wants deadline extensions is leaning towards three concurrent lists? What a world.

Noiradelic

#2085 Post by Noiradelic » Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Well, the viewing time is the same, and if you need less time for one or two directors, it would actually give you more time for the other(s).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2086 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm hearing no real reasons not to do it, so we will try it out!

TMDaines

Re: The 1920s List: Discussion and Suggestions

#2087 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 am

Considering how I've looked forward to this particular list for years and hoarded films for it, I'm a little disappointed in myself how I've never got going with it. A combination of travel, competing interests and good weather has dragged me away from film entirely really. The next two weeks does coincide with my final two weeks before a holiday, so maybe I'll feel in the mood to blitz it.

I'm wondering if a break for the rest of the year with the decades list may stir up more interest in them again, once people miss them a bit, as the forum seems to have a lot of competing lists currently.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2088 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 am

I don't participate in lists discussions because I am aware I never have the sustained time to commit to a project like this, and agree with you Daines. I had planned on hitting up my library every week, but it wasn't meant to be.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2089 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am

I wouldn't wave a flag for the decades projects til after the next one. Let's be honest, the silent era attracts its own crowd, many of whom aren't around here anymore, and so discussion isn't as plentiful as it once was. But last time the 30s List received over thirty votes, more than the decades that came before it. If we do the 30s, a decade ostensibly with something for everyone, and no one shows up, then perhaps discussion of pumping the brakes should ensue

Personally, as with any List, so long as it receives at least ten votes, then it's a good list. I don't think things are all that dire yet for the Decades Lists!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2090 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

I mean, having an eight-month window for each decade gives plenty of a break for people that only need a few months to put a list together, but also gives anyone who wants to take a deeper dive ample time to do that. (The first time I was going through all of these when I had much larger watch lists to get through, eight months seemed like the sweet spot as we would often start with six months and then extend for a month or two.)

Participation is clearly lagging (there were four times as many posts in the prior 1920s thread, and six more lists submitted unless I get some more in the next two weeks) but there's still enough interest to fill out a top 100 and then some.

In the end though, I guess I'll do whatever people want (or don't want) to do.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2091 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 am

Only six fewer lists is a lot better than I expected! Again, I think we will see more participation/posting in the upcoming rounds, based mostly on our existing regular user base

Noiradelic

#2092 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:34 pm

I'll definitely be participating in all the decade lists from the 40s forward.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2093 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm going to start shoring up the next list projects after the Woody Allen Auteur List sometime this summer. If anyone has any new ideas for full lists, mini-lists, or auteur lists, please share them in this thread or via PM. You can see a list of potential future lists and nixed lists here

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2094 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 pm

I'll throw out my own idea that I brought up elsewhere already: a Mini-List of every film ever nominated for Best Film at the Cesar Awards-- there are a lot of unknown-to-me titles included I'm curious to see, and it would be an interesting way to do a modern French list with a mix of expected and rather obscure (at least on this side of the ocean) eligible titles

knives

#2095 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm

I've seen a little over 60 noms already so that puts me in enough a place of comfort to be for the list.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2096 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

What's the floor on the number of features for an auteur list? 30?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2097 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Yep! I made an exception for Rohmer considering all of his works were conveniently available together in one package, but he didn't survive the vote

knives, you're better equipped than me-- I just checked and I've only seen 42 (with some big blindspots I'm too embarrassed to admit)! But there's at least that many titles that are already on my radar to see, so by the time such a list happens, if it happens, I'll probably be in a better place by next year! For those who'd like to see what would be eligible for a top César Award Mini-List

knives

#2098 Post by knives » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 pm

And here for Listal people.

There's a bunch of titles that have been on my radar as well and this may be the push to get me to watch some long on the list titles. Also, if it makes you feel any better, almost all of those are recent films with a grand total of 24 from before the '00s.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#2099 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Yep! I made an exception for Rohmer considering all of his works were conveniently available together in one package, but he didn't survive the vote
In addition to Lumet and Preminger, who don't appear to have been proposed before, some still-working directors to consider alongside Soderbergh would be Herzog, Scorsese, De Palma, and Spielberg (though he may be disqualified if we only count 'films' and not 'movies'). And Billy Wilder is just barely excluded with 27 features, but maybe he'd qualify for an exception as well?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2100 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm

He wasn't a feature director of course, but what about a Tex Avery list?