The Lists Project

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Lists Project

#2051 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Yep, it's next!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2052 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

I'll start it either tonight or tomorrow.

TMDaines

#2053 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 pm

After enjoying North by Northwest, I'm just watching videos of my cats that my wife filmed. Doing my bit to even up the male imbalance.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2054 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:20 pm

A thought after filling up the survey. If it was in any way possible, I would find it very helpful if it was possible to know a little more in advance what lists were coming up in order to prepare and guide my viewing projects - meaning more than a year. Nothing definite, just like: "New German CInema, Woody Allen, Cukor and Courtroom Films are strong possibilities for 2018". I realize this may not be possible since the forum may also want to adjust to members' evolving views on such matters.

Another wish: that the decades lists would be spread out a bit more, or made longer, also in order to have more time to prepare.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2055 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:54 pm

I'll think on your first request. I generally have an idea what the next few list projects are, but here I thought announcing almost a year in advance might be overwhelming to people, so another year on top of that worries me. But I may just throw the rest of 2018 in a spoiler box and then not have to bother about planning for the future for a while!

I will say a big thanks to everyone who has participated in the survey so far. Some fascinating insights into the interests of the board, and I allotted a whole month so those who only periodically check the forum but may still wish to submit/participate can have their voices heard. You can't edit your survey or take it again, but feel free to PM me any corrections you feel compelled to make for me to consider when looking over the final returns (I'll mainly be looking at overall trends/tallies, so it'd just be a +1 for whatever on top of what I'm seeing)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2056 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Reminder that you have until the end of the month to take the List Project survey and have your voice heard -- barring any huge upheavals in last-minute contributions, the trend lines are pretty clear, but I will reserve announcements or decisions of future and nixed lists til all results are in

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2057 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Thank you everyone for participating in the survey, it was eye-opening and helpful for organizing going forward. I have removed quite a few future possibilities from contention based on the survey results. Some real surprises in terms of what people wanted or didn't want, to be sure, but you can't win 'em all! I'm sure you all have great ideas for future lists, but I'm not calling for any for at least another year. I will surely do another survey as we get closer to the schedule thinning out, but for now, we're good.

Since you're all on the edge of your seats, I can confirm there is sufficient interest for the Women Directors List, and (by a large margin) it will be 25/50, as I initially planned. So, good work there, everyone. For those truly on a five year plan for movie watching, here is the full list of all scheduled list projects for the next two years. Jesus Christ! Well, you don't have to click the spoiler box...
SpoilerShow
May 06 - July 01 Cannes Top Award Winners Mini-List
July 02 - August 30 Fritz Lang Auteur List
August 31 - October 27 Nouvelle Vague Mini-List

October 28 - December 15 Luis Bunuel Auteur List
December 16 - March 15 (2018) Biopics

March 16 - May 14 Women Directors

Summer with Jean, Jean, and John
May 15 - July 08 Jean Renoir Auteur List
July 09 - September 02 Jean-Luc Godard Auteur List
September 03 - October 29 John Ford Auteur List

October 30 - December 12 Pre-Code Hollywood Mini-List
December 13 - February 2 (2019) Screwball Comedies Mini-List
February 03 - March 29 Woody Allen Auteur List

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2058 Post by Rayon Vert » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Sounds terrific!

movielocke

#2059 Post by movielocke » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Awesome! Thanks for doing this. Summer with jean jean john sounds great, as does the women directors list.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#2060 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Personally, I'm more inclined to participate in mini-lists that correspond to the decades list that is going on at the same time. Which means I'll likely be most active in the
SpoilerShow
Fritz Land and Pre-Code Hollywood
lists

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2061 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 pm

The latter will be going on during the Forties List if my math is right, though! So, more like you're pre-gaming during the decades Lists for some of the Mini-Lists

YnEoS

#2062 Post by YnEoS » Sat May 06, 2017 10:52 am

I've fallen off the list train a bit, though I quite enjoy some of the discussions and lists it generates, I sometimes have difficulty syncing up my viewing habits with the list schedules. I was wondering if at some point in the future we could perhaps do re-votes without scheduling a certain block of viewing time? I might contribute to some lists that have already wrapped up, and if say a list can generate a good amount of discussion from a good enough variety of users after its initial vote, perhaps we could see if people want to update their lists and then re-submit without distracting from the other list projects? Maybe this will work itself out in time just seeing where people's interests go and waiting for a good mass of people to want to revisit some projects, just thinking out loud about how it might be nice if there was a mechanism to participate with these more casually on my own time, since I don't think I'm likely to keep up with all the simultaneous lists going on.

(So far mostly just been enjoying going through the history of musicals in slow detail, I've got lots of notes on what I've watched so far, but haven't sat down and written them out into reviews yet. Found a few unknown films that I think deserve more attention, so I may try to give them more elaborate write ups and see if I can convince a few others to try them out.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2063 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 am

I'm open to the idea, especially since folks expressed a lot of interest in a Horror List redux, but it's hard to even find the six months such a thing would require in the schedule, which with the four months for a Musicals redux would be almost an entire year eaten up otherwise

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2064 Post by swo17 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:06 pm

I don't like the idea of doing this without a viewing window.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2065 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 06, 2017 12:11 pm

It would have to have a window, there's no way to do it otherwise. I meant I was down for a simultaneous compilation of reduxes while other stuff is going on-- there's no way to do it dynamically that wouldn't make me want to walk into traffic

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2066 Post by swo17 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:26 pm

I was responding to YnEoS's suggestion of "re-votes without scheduling a certain block of viewing time."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2067 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 am

Just throwing this out there: since the Chabrol Auteur List got nixed in the poll, I'll be revisiting all of Chabrol's works through 1968 in chronological order once the French New Wave Mini-List thread gets going, if anyone wants to coordinate viewings to join in the discussion (and there will of course be plenty of other directors and works to discuss as well)

knives

#2068 Post by knives » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am

It did? That's sad. I'd love to do that if more of his work was available to me. As is I'm still missing ten of his features from the period as director let alone as producer etc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2069 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:33 am

Well, at least join in on the ones you do have access to! You can def skip those de Broca pix he produced

knives

#2070 Post by knives » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 am

I'm kind of tempted to search them out if just because to my surprise the one film of his I've pre-gamed with is good. Speaking of I'm not likely going to be able to pick up the Moullet French set in time. Is the Facets' (which is at the local library) Brigitte and Brigitte just a direct port ala the Ruiz films?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2071 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 am

Yep, it's the exact same disc

knives

#2072 Post by knives » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 am

Nice and thanks.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2073 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:29 pm

I liked having the second round for the pre-1920s list and would like to keep doing it, but what do others think? One week was probably enough for that one given how short most of people's orphans were, but going forward where more of the orphans will be features, would people like to have, say, two weeks?

TMDaines

#2074 Post by TMDaines » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:03 pm

I liked it, and I thought I wouldn’t. It’s good for prioritising your late viewing.

matrixschmatrix

#2075 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:05 pm

I didn't participate much, as I was pretty burnt out by that point, but I think that's specific to the pre-20s; I wouldn't mind having that window again