1970s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 2)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Cold Bishop

#226 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed May 28, 2008 4:38 pm

zedz wrote:
Cold Bishop wrote:I'm only asking since I recall a rule where on could vote for a single short from an omnibus film, although that may have just been for the shorts list.
That's certainly happened before, so if the omnibus is listed as 1979, go ahead. I guess this means you can vote for it in the 1970s and again in the 1980s list, if you want to be perverse.
80s is fine by me, as it'll allow me to rank it higher, but you're the man with the rules.

mikeohhh

#227 Post by mikeohhh » Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote: Gates of Heaven is unbelievable (but I guess no longer eligible for the ‘70s)
nono, it USED to be listed as 1980 on imdb, it's now been corrected to 1978, so go ahead and vote for it!
domino harvey wrote:I understand why zedz isn't using names, but why are the rest of you pussyfooting around your guesses?

Spanish: the Spirit of Beehive
German: Some Herzog movie
Proper Names: Jeanne Dielman, Wanda, Claire's Knee, Celine and Julie Go Boating, the Marriage of Maria Braun, several Herzog films
my guesses:

names: Celine, Julie, Jeanne Dielman, Annie Hall, Barry Lyndon (it didn't say five FILMS with proper names, just five names.. although Ms. Braun could be a contender)

places: Nashville, Manhattan, Amrcord? Grey Gardens? Hanging Rock?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#228 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm

I can't believe I forgot about Annie Hall. In my defense, though I love Allen it's never been more than an average film to me (I'm not the only one mystified by its popularity, as the man himself agrees with me), so it's not even on my list. I much prefer his work from the 80s-on, so only Love and Death and Play It Again, Sam place for me on this list.

zedz

#229 Post by zedz » Wed May 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Mikeohh got all the first names, but only one of the placenames. Two more lists in now, so it's probably all changed anyway.

Steven H

#230 Post by Steven H » Wed May 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Hilarious about the Eros Plus Massacre thing. I'm glad at least I can put it on THIS list. *slaps forehead*

I'm running hot and cold lately. I keep throwing on "old favorites" and just hating them and purging my list. Two Eustache films in my top ten and all of a sudden I just can't even bare to look at them (will I change my mind? probably.) Finally done though (til the last minute debating whether to put Watership Down on the thing or not).

denti alligator

#231 Post by denti alligator » Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 am

Zedz, don't forget that Saturday my time will be Sunday your time. My list will be coming...

zedz

#232 Post by zedz » Thu May 29, 2008 12:28 am

denti alligator wrote:Zedz, don't forget that Saturday my time will be Sunday your time. My list will be coming...

I'm completely slack about the deadlines anyway. Maybe I shouldn't have said that here, though.

Dr Amicus

#233 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Just submitted my list - I suspect I'm the only one with Scream and Scream Again and From Beyond The Grave in my top 10. Love both of them - and I can make a good argument for them (or, at least, I can make an argument that got me my doctorate - which is not the same thing at all!)

And I suppose I should justify my name & avatar...

Quite horror heavy - several British entries in addition to the Amicus films. It's too long since I've seen Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell so I left it out - my suspicion is that it's an important entry for Fisher, not just because it was his final film.

Actually, there were several films I think should have been on the list, but it's so long since I saw them that I don't trust my memory. Maybe next time. Also, it's a decade where my non-English language viewing is VERY patchy...

Performance came top for me - best non-Powell & Pressburger British film of all time IMHO.

zedz

#234 Post by zedz » Thu May 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:Just submitted my list - I suspect I'm the only one with Scream and Scream Again and From Beyond The Grave in my top 10. Love both of them - and I can make a good argument for them (or, at least, I can make an argument that got me my doctorate - which is not the same thing at all!)
Scream and Scream Again is the film that (sort of) turned me into a movie fan, even though I now don't remember much beyond two big scares (but they were great scares, and I can still see them now).

colinr0380

#235 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:Just submitted my list - I suspect I'm the only one with Scream and Scream Again and From Beyond The Grave in my top 10. Love both of them - and I can make a good argument for them (or, at least, I can make an argument that got me my doctorate - which is not the same thing at all!)
Afraid I've not seen Scream and Scream Again, though I've heard good things about it. Your post reminded me that I didn't find a place for Asylum this time around (or Tales From The Crypt, Frightmare, The Legend Of Hell House, even Shivers, Rabid and The Brood!) #-o - I'll have to make sure I include them next time.

zedz

#236 Post by zedz » Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Asylum
Another film that gave me the serious willies as a kid (the first story with the freezer). But it definitely hadn't held up so well when I saw it again recently.

sidehacker

#237 Post by sidehacker » Fri May 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Double uh-oh, I forgot about Queysanne's A Man Asleep which would have been in my top five. Oh well, I doubt anyone else will vote for it...

Steven H

#238 Post by Steven H » Fri May 30, 2008 1:51 pm

sidehacker wrote:Double uh-oh, I forgot about Queysanne's A Man Asleep which would have been in my top five. Oh well, I doubt anyone else will vote for it.
I brought this up on page one but it didn't seem to spark an interest. I went and rewatched it and found it a bit less appealing the second time around, so it didn't make it on my list. I'll be sure and return to it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 31, 2008 11:51 pm

I hate that I still have a ton of 70s movies I didn't get to in time-- every time I thought I'd seen everything I wanted to, I'd come up with a dozen more titles. Maybe in fifty years I'll make a really killer 70s List (pun?).

Mise En Scene

#240 Post by Mise En Scene » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 pm

vivahawks wrote:but The Fate of Lee Khan, The Valiant Ones, and Raining in the Mountain are all criminally undersung, entertaining, and innovative films.
Where did you see these?

Awesome Welles

#241 Post by Awesome Welles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Damn! I could have swore Scream and Scream Again was 1969. It would definitely have placed on my list. I saw it in a university screening (an end of year fun choice by the lecturer) it was an amazing film to see projected and have returned to it quite a few times since. This round was particularly annoying for me, I held off until the last moment on the 60s list and didn't see anything from the 60s in the last two weeks up to the deadline (Death Line - another film I wanted to see) and in this instance I saw (and remembered) all sorts after handing my list in early!

zedz

#242 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:46 pm

Update - voting is over, but I've got twelve last-minute lists to add in, which might take a little while. Hope to have results posted tomorrow. This late influx also means that all final positions are up for grabs - at last count, there were less than 100 points separating the top 10 titles, and there was a fleet of other titles (15-20) all very close behind.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#243 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm

I've got my fingers crossed for Shaft In Africa pull off an upset

vivahawks

#244 Post by vivahawks » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Mise En Scene wrote:
vivahawks wrote:but The Fate of Lee Khan, The Valiant Ones, and Raining in the Mountain are all criminally undersung, entertaining, and innovative films.
Where did you see these?
There's a French DVD of Raining in the Mountain floating around somewhere. My university also had a video copy of The Valiant Ones, and I saw Lee Khan from an atrocious VHS source (which might be why I liked it least). These are endlessly brilliant and pleasurable movies, and I wish a Criterion or MoC would really give them the royal treatment they deserve. I even like Raining and Valiant Ones more than A Touch of Zen, though Dragon Inn is my favorite Hu overall.

For the rest of the 70s, too bad I just found copies of Travelling Players and Kings of the Road. Obviously too late to add to my list now, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing them...

Mise En Scene

#245 Post by Mise En Scene » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 pm

vivahawks wrote:
Mise En Scene wrote:
Where did you see these?
There's a French DVD of Raining in the Mountain floating around somewhere.
Thanks! I didn't know about this. Are you talking about the Films sans frontiere DVD?
My university also had a video copy of The Valiant Ones, and I saw Lee Khan from an atrocious VHS source (which might be why I liked it least).
I'll try to track down old VHS tapes of these.
These are endlessly brilliant and pleasurable movies, and I wish a Criterion or MoC would really give them the royal treatment they deserve.
Bordwell's analysis and enthusiasm (as well as yours) for Hu's work has got me fiending to see more.

The Dragon Gate Inn DVD on YesAsia has no English subs. Damn.
I even like Raining and Valiant Ones more than A Touch of Zen, though Dragon Inn is my favorite Hu overall.
I've only seen A Touch of Zen and Come Drink With Me and my favorite is the former. I marvel at the editing which should go without saying. I loved the blotches of light in the whip pans near the end of Come Drink With Me. Sometime this week or next, I'll see Legend of the Mountain and Painted Skin.

Sad to hear Bey Logan mention the difficulty obtaining the rights to Hu's Taiwan productions or something like that. Hopefully Dragon Dynasty will eventually get them.

vivahawks

#246 Post by vivahawks » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Mise En Scene wrote:
vivahawks wrote:There's a French DVD of Raining in the Mountain floating around somewhere.
Thanks! I didn't know about this. Are you talking about the Films sans frontiere DVD?
Yes. Good luck finding tapes of the others! I think The Valiant Ones I saw was subtitled but Lee Khan may not have been. (I speak enough Mandarin to get by--also very helpful when it comes to early Hou. And potentially for dealing with a billion people, but we all know it's really about the movies. :) )
Bordwell's analysis and enthusiasm (as well as yours) for Hu's work has got me fiending to see more.

The Dragon Gate Inn DVD on YesAsia has no English subs. Damn.
I even like Raining and Valiant Ones more than A Touch of Zen, though Dragon Inn is my favorite Hu overall.
I've only seen A Touch of Zen and Come Drink With Me and my favorite is the former. I marvel at the editing which should go without saying. I loved the blotches of light in the whip pans near the end of Come Drink With Me. Sometime this week or next, I'll see Legend of the Mountain and Painted Skin.

Sad to hear Bey Logan mention the difficulty obtaining the rights to Hu's Taiwan productions or something like that. Hopefully Dragon Dynasty will eventually get them.
Yeah, the 60s-70s work is so uniformly excellent in my eyes that picking favorites is a matter of whim. Hopefully the release of Come Drink with Me will lead to more R1 Hu. And please post your thoughts about Legend and Painted Skin if you get the chance! There's so little information (in English anyways) about Hu, and especially about his later work.

zedz

#247 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 am

The 1970s List

Here we go. No great surprises in the upper reaches, with five directors accounting for 14 of the top 23 films, but things get a little more interesting further down (as usual).

1. Chinatown (Polanski) 651
2. The Spirit of the Beehive (Erice) 553
3. Mirror (Tarkovsky) 523
4. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick) 502
5. Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette) 493
6. Days of Heaven (Malick) 474
7. The Godfather (Coppola) 452
8. McCabe & Mrs Miller (Altman) 440
9. The Conformist (Bertolucci) 431
10. The Passenger (Antonioni) 422
11. Nashville (Altman) 415
12. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Herzog) 411
13. Badlands (Malick) 407
14. The Long Goodbye (Altman) 406
15. The Godfather Part II (Coppola) 390
16. Stalker (Tarkovsky) 387
17. Taxi Driver (Scorsese) 383
18. Manhattan (Allen) 375
19. Apocalypse Now (Coppola) 366
20. The Conversation (Coppola) 365
21. The Marriage of Maria Braun (Fassbinder)
22. Annie Hall (Allen)
23. Solaris (Tarkovsky)
24. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Bunuel)
25. Don't Look Now (Roeg)
26. Eraserhead (Lynch)
27. That Obscure Object of Desire (Bunuel)
28. Straw Dogs (Peckinpah)
29= 3 Women (Altman)
29= A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick)
31= Cries and Whispers (Bergman)
31= A Woman under the Influence (Cassavetes)
33. Claire's Knee (Rohmer)
34. The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich)
35. Killer of Sheep (Burnett)
36. The Mother and the Whore (Eustache)
37. Vengeance Is Mine (Imamura)
38. Walkabout (Roeg)
39. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Peckinpah)
40. Mean Streets (Scorsese)
41. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (Cassavetes)
42. Le Cercle rouge (Melville)
43. Jeanne Dielman. . . (Akerman)
44. Every Man for Himself and God Against All (Herzog)
45. F for Fake (Welles)
46. Fear Eats the Soul (Fassbinder)
47. Alien (Scott)
48. Last Tango in Paris (Bertolucci)
49. Performance (Cammell / Roeg)
50. Scenes from a Marriage (Bergman)
51. The Exorcist (Friedkin)
52. In a Year with 13 Moons (Fassbinder)
53. Edvard Munch (Watkins)
54. Eros Plus Massacre (Yoshida)
55. Amarcord (Fellini)
56. Love (Makk)
57. The Travelling Players (Angelopoulos)
58. The Phantom of Liberty (Bunuel)
59. Mujo (Jissoji)
60= The Deer Hunter (Cimino)
60= The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Hooper)
62. Two-Lane Blacktop (Hellman)
63. The Tenant (Polanski)
64. Cria cuervos (Saura)
65. Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (Ruiz)
66. Paper Moon (Bogdanovich)
67. Lancelot du lac (Bresson)
68. All the President's Men (Pakula)
69. The Man who Fell to Earth (Roeg)
70. Network (Lumet)
71= Fox and his Friends (Fassbinder)
71= Stroszek (Herzog)
73. Halloween (Carpenter)
74. The Man who Left his Will on Film (Oshima)
75. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Weir)
76. The Devil, Probably (Bresson)
77. Suspiria (Argento)
78= The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes (Brakhage)
78= Harold and Maude (Ashby)
80. Nosferatu (Herzog)
81= The French Connection (Friedkin)
81= Tristana (Bunual)
83. WR:Mysteries of the Organism (Makavejev)
84. Investigation of a Citizen above Suspicion (Petri)
85. The Ceremony (Oshima)
86. Cockfighter (Hellman)
87= All That Jazz (Fosse)
87= Four Nights of a Dreamer (Bresson)
89. Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet)
90= Carnal Knowledge (Nichols)
90= Hearts and Minds (Davis)
92. O Lucky Man! (Anderson)
93= Punishment Park (Watkins)
93= Love in the Afternoon (Rohmer)
95. Grey Gardens (Maysles et al.)
96= Carrie (De Palma)
96= The Parallax View (Pakula)
98. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Fassbinder)
99. Death in Venice (Visconti)
100= Effi Briest (Fassbinder)
100= Day for Night (Truffaut)

29 lists were received (is that a record?), nominating 494 different films. 231 of those got more than one vote and qualified for the final list(s). The USA dominated the voting overwhelmingly, accounting for 206 of the nominated films.

Directorwise, Altman was kingpin, attracting 1815 votes in total for 11 different films (but still no love for Quintet?). These were the top ten:
Altman (1815, 11 films)
Coppola (1573, 4 films)
Fassbinder (1370, 13 films)
Tarkovsky (1260, 3 films)
Herzog (1096, 10 films)
Bunuel (954)
Allen (937)
Polanski (901)
Malick (881)
Kubrick (800)

Also-rans list tomorrow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#248 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 am

29/50 of my list made it. Thank God the Spirit of the Beehive wasn't number one. I also had 5/10 of the top ten on my list, which has to be a record for me and these lists-- you guys finally got it righter!
Some shocking exclusions though: No Tout Va Bien!, no Frenzy, no Little Murders and just barely any the Parallax View. Glad to see Paper Moon chart though.

HerrSchreck

#249 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:44 am

domino harvey wrote:Thank God the Spirit of the Beehive wasn't number one.
Is that because you do or don't like it. Personally I'm glad that Chinatown got #1 because I'm not all that crazy about the film, and being #1 sucks a certain cachet from a film I love-- like seeing your favorite dive watering hole get invaded & renovated by a buncha redheaded stockbrokers (apologies in advance to any stockbrokers on the board, but not if they're redheaded haw haw haw)..

God I adore the Erice... just hate that shot of Franky at the end.

souvenir

#250 Post by souvenir » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 am

Hey I had 5/10 also there. Thanks again zedz for compiling everything. Not only am I surprised to see Chinatown at number one, but the margin is staggering. I wonder how many people actually put it at the top or if it was more of a situation where it did well on lots of lists.