Auteur List: Ingmar Bergman - Discussion and Defenses

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
the preacher

Re: Auteur List: Ingmar Bergman - Discussion and Defenses

#76 Post by the preacher » Mon May 01, 2017 7:23 am

Ballot sent. Not the biggest fan here, so there are some unpopular choices on my list. :P

Unable to submit an other works sub-list, I want to express my love for "Hets / Torment".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Seven lists in and two films have appeared on every list

Black Hat

#78 Post by Black Hat » Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 pm

I keep forgetting to shout out James Baldwin's wonderful Esquire piece on Bergman which can also be found in the Nobody Knows My Name collection.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#79 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon May 01, 2017 10:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:All These Women (1964) I know I had once offered guarded praise for this film on strengths other than its ground zero comedics, but I can no longer extend even a single kind word about this piece of shit. An astonishingly bad film so awful and ill-conceived in every one of its miserable 77 minutes that it’s caused me to bump Serpent’s Egg and From the Life of Marionettes back onto my revisit list, because no way could those be worse than this regardless of what I once believed. Late-period Resnais-level badness.
domino, I'm just curious. Have you revisited those two late Bergman films?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 01, 2017 11:36 pm

Not yet. I'm trying to prioritize viewings this week and it's unlikely I'll have time for films I know won't make my list!

movielocke

#81 Post by movielocke » Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 am

Hour of the Wolf is an interesting, excellent And more literalist companion piece to _through a glass darkly_, it seems. But the deeper I get into the sixties works, the less I find to like. This was gorgeous, the script an performances were great as always, but I suppose this is what people who don't adore ozu feel like when they watch his films. unfortunately for me, in all the self indulgent monologuing of yet another identical Bergman psychic break/emotional meltdown of searching for meaning in a meaningless world, I seriously started to lose interest in the whole project. "Oh no not again," I thought! Luckily for me I still very much liked the film, but was approaching Bergman overdose of this era of his. Shame and passion of Anna and the rite will be backburnered in favor of earlier works and revisits. I need time separation to properly appreciate them and I'd probably not react well to cramming them in.

So I skipped back to the 50s films and Secrets of Women is excellent, and reminded me of what I loved so much about _summer interlude_ and the eclipse films. A frame story lassoing a triptych of three experiences of love, the film strongly anticipates his latter work, but with more of the humanism and indeed optimism of bergmans earlier, better works. Each woman, (affair, young lovers, and married lovers) explores the similarities of the different aspects of these experiences. Naturally, the misogyny of the society and disgusting entitlement of the men and the assumption that virtually all relationships can only have one outcome of unhappiness are classic Bergman, but it made me reflect that it's almost surprising that bergman never had a film outright advocate for plural marriage, as he seems to find the traditional institution tremendously irksome in its limitations. The "natural right" of men to screw the maximum number of women is a fairly constant point of whining advocacy in virtually all his films, and I'm a little bit tired of hearing the ten thousandth Bergman dude go through the same pathetic spiel attempting to justify their behavior.

The film is quite artfully designed from a literary standpoint, as the themes weave together and reinforce each other quite well.

persona is still an incredible masterpiece, and it certainly looks better than my last viewing on Laserdisc. It's funny, Bergman is so effective at making the pair of them one woman, my memory had discarded that the entire film is nothing more than a single monologue. For years I have remembered it as a series of reinforcing monologues alternating between the women. I was a bit surprised at just how wrong that memory was. The visuals here are, I would say, peak Bergman, it's a bit of a shame the film is so over the top artsy.

Not to be pejorative, but this film Is a bit like garnishing everything on your plate with truffle oil (when there's already generous actual truffles shaved over it), as if to say "look at me, see how fancy,want more? More fancy? It's delicious , more for you!" I still love the film in part because it is so unapologetic and because it is so eager and enthusiastic in creating so many stereotypes and tropes of art film. And the film is glorious in its own right, but my goodness there's a lot of truffle oil being served up. I'm probably ticking this down a notch or two and moving _virgin spring_ up into its place.

Rayon Vert

#82 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 am

movielocke wrote:(...) yet another identical Bergman psychic break/emotional meltdown of searching for meaning in a meaningless world, I seriously started to lose interest in the whole project. "Oh no not again," I thought! Luckily for me I still very much liked the film, but was approaching Bergman overdose of this era of his. Shame and passion of Anna and the rite will be backburnered in favor of earlier works (...).
Shame and A Passion definitely fit that description, but if you can squeeze one more in, you should give Shame a chance since it involves war breaking out and is quite unique in that respect, on top of being a stunning film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#83 Post by swo17 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:27 am

Yes, Shame is essential viewing.

mteller

#84 Post by mteller » Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 am

I didn't know this was happening! (that's what happens when you ignore an entire subforum)

I'm a Bergman fanatic, I've tried to see as much as I can. My complete rankings:

1. Fanny and Alexander
2. Scenes from a Marriage
3. Shame
4. Winter Light
5. Through a Glass Darkly
6. Sawdust and Tinsel
7. Saraband
8. Autumn Sonata
9. Thirst
10. The Silence
11. Smiles of a Summer Night
12. Summer with Monika
13. Wild Strawberries
14. The Seventh Seal
15. Persona
16. The Virgin Spring
17. In the Presence of a Clown
18. Cries and Whispers
19. Brink of Life
20. Hour of the Wolf
21. Hustruskolan
22. Summer Interlude
23. Spöksonaten
24. The Last Gasp
25. Ovader
26. Kvinnodröm
27. Port of Call
28. The Passion of Anna
29. The Magician
30. A Dream Play
31. Secrets of Women
32. Prison
33. Bildmakarna
34. The Blessed Ones
35. Mr. Sleeman Is Coming
36. The Venetian
37. Markisinnan de Sade
38. A Ship Bound for India
39. The Making of Fanny and Alexander
40. The Magic Flute
41. To Joy
42. Harald & Harald
43. The Rite
44. The Serpent's Egg
45. Face to Face
46. Bakomfilm smultronstället
47. Music in Darkness
48. It Rains on Our Love
49. Fårö Dokument
50. Fårö-dokument 1979
51. From the Life of the Marionettes
52. A Lesson in Love
53. Karin's Face
54. The Devil's Eye
55. Crisis
56. After the Rehearsal
57. The Touch
58. The Dance of the Damned Women
59. High Tension
60. All These Women

All of them at least "watchable". I've watched most of them at least twice, even the ones at the bottom.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#85 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 02, 2017 11:26 am

60. All These Women
Still seems too high

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Twelve lists submitted so far and no one has submitted an other works list. So, I don't think that's going to happen. If anyone who has already submitted their list would like to include a film included on the Other Works in their regular top 15, please resubmit your entire adjusted list by Thursday

knives

#87 Post by knives » Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm

So I shouldn't include an other works list?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm

No, it is unlikely we will receive nine other Other Lists at this juncture and therefore it wouldn't get counted

All the Best People

#89 Post by All the Best People » Wed May 03, 2017 1:41 am

I discovered this thread too late to partake of any re-watches, but I went on a Bergman binge a number of years ago and many of the images and situations have stuck with me ever since. I'll go ahead and endeavor to rank them, though a numerical, hierarchical ranking is usually something I eschew. Suffice to say that films 1-8 here would be essentially tied in the category of UNMITIGATED MASTERPIECES, while 9 would slot into EXCELLENT and 10-12 into VERY GOOD. 13 ranks as GOOD.

1. Wild Strawberries
A cliche pick for number one, perhaps, but there is so much beauty and earned melancholy throughout, but the ending is a stroke of grace and love. Sjostrom certainly provides on-screen gravitas, and even the dream sequences, a type scene that usually puts me off, feel appropriate here.

2. The Seventh Seal
In contrast to what some others have written above, this only feels more contemporary to me with each viewing. A world of war, disease, and fanaticism, faced with stoic uncertainty by Max Von Sydow, in the first role in which he looked old, which he's now achieved for sixty consecutive years.

3. Persona
I'm not sure this isn't the best, actually. Certainly the most daring formally, it's also endlessly fascinating thematically, with its hypnotic reduction of psyche to shadow, yet continually imbued with emotional immediacy, with two sterling performances keeping it together. And I love that he just up and decided to go out-New Wave all the New Waves by really pushing the medium.

4. Whispers and Cries
Yes, Whispers and Cries, listen to the man himself! A similar ending to that of Wild Strawberries, but it's a much more emotionally fraught journey throughout. And such color!

5. Winter Light
A simple yet moving depiction of the importance of ritual as a signifier of belief and hope, even in the face of gloom and death.

6. Saraband
Whereas this is more of a death rattle, and to me one of Bergman's most emotionally vulnerable and sensitive works.

7. The Virgin Spring
Here we have a pristinely structured diamond of a film, intense -- perhaps in more conventional ways than some of his other work (see how it's been translated into horror revenges thrillers), but another beautiful ending that adds transcendence to the whole experience.

8. Shame
The details have faded in my memory a bit, but I remember it being a harrowing experience, a brutal exposure of the worst potentials of human nature.

9. Smiles of a Summer Night
So breezy, and in such a way that became rarer as Bergman's career possessed. But I like this lighter side, which feels like a Mozartian intrigue as filtered through Ophuls (though without such ornate camerawork, natch, though it is beautiful).

10. The Magician
Inconsistent, but it has two standout sequences: an early sequence with the servants in their revels, and of course the suspenseful climax.

11. Summer with Monika
One of the most important films to the Nouvelle Vague, directly homaged in The 400 Blows and anticipatory of the middle section of Pierrot Le Fou. And, of course, Monika's stare etched its way into Blows, Breathless, and (to move to another country) La Dolce Vita.

12. Through a Glass Darkly
Agony followed, ever so briefly, by hope found in the smallest of gestures; even the smallest of gestures carry weight in the absence of any other sound.

13. Hour of the Wolf
Again, somewhat inconsistent, but effective atmospherics. An interesting reversal of Persona, where we get a visual representation of an unusual beachside event, whereas Persona conveyed its in monologue. Odd, then, that Persona feels more "cinematic"; above perhaps any filmmaker, Bergman demonstrated that being "cinematic" requires a commitment to depicting humanity with honesty and authenticity.

Now, there are a number of likely masterpieces I simply haven't gotten around to yet (Fanny and Alexander chief among them), but there are a few others I've seen that I've chosen to exclude from this ranking. One is The Silence, which I should revisit; it does look good and have an intriguing texture, but to me it simply doesn't compel or add up to much, though I find it very important as a transitory work, as I don't know if Persona is achievable without Bergman having gone through the process of this film. I perhaps made a mistake by watching the series of Scenes from a Marriage without seeing the feature, as such doses of misery are rather hard to take (and felt rather tonally monotonous and repetitive), even spread out over episodic viewings -- though, again, another viewing could certainly shake some things loose.

The one film I'd say simply isn't good at all is The Serpent's Egg, which just feels unfocused and meandering, as well as oddly-cast. A noble experiment, sure, but for me, not a success.

As you might gather from the above, I hold Bergman in tremendous esteem, and happily forgive what I perceive as his missteps as they are always part of a project of lurching forward and toward something ineffable, but something always profoundly human and existentially curious. He was willing to strip down stylistically and willing to gloss things up as his subjects required. His work with actors is sublime, and there so many moments of visual beauty, some comforting and some disconcerting.

Foam

#90 Post by Foam » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 am

I'm a bit embarrassed to not have submitted a list after my initial post in this thread. For whatever reason I just haven't been in the mood to finish any Bergman film I've started.

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts though and will keep them in mind when I do finally get around to seeing the remaining essentials!

TMDaines

#91 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 04, 2017 5:08 am

Bit frustrated to not be in a position to submit. Was always going to be difficult when starting from a position of only having seen three and a half works, but I got up to thirteen despite being hamstrung by illness and exhaustion from a large amount of DIY to finish our house.

Was watching chronologically but skipping out those titles that would be best served by importing from Criterion. It had just started getting really good with Waiting Women, Sawdust and Tinsel, A Lesson in Love, and Dreams. Most of the next mini-lists that I want to participate in, I have a better base to start from.

knives

#92 Post by knives » Thu May 04, 2017 10:15 am

Look at it this way though. Going from three to thirteen on a major auteur is nothing to sneeze at.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#93 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Everyone has until the end of the day tomorrow to submit, but I won't start tallying til Saturday morning when I wake up, so if you can beat me to breakfast on Saturday morning, that's the absolute deadline

movielocke

#94 Post by movielocke » Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am

I forgot to post about Fanny and Alexander and I found my opinions on the miniseries in constant flux, in a way that they never were with my previous viewing (previously having only seen the theatrical film), I both loved it and was at times bored with it. I was constantly baffled that I had seen a film of this, because other than the christmas scene and the child-torture scenes it didn't even trigger recollections. but when you cut a work's run time by half, they really should feel like completely distinct works. Indeed, the strongest response I had after finishing was that I wanted to immediately rewatch the theatrical version to better understand the pair (but I elected instead to start working on other unseen films instead). I think I was most astounded that Fanny is such an insignificant character throughout the entire miniseries, rarely having more than two lines of dialog in any episode. I suppose this isn't terribly surprisingly, Bergman consistently disdains the existence of children throughout his entire oeuvre, but I was surprised at just how minor of a character she seemed in the miniseries.

the Making of Fanny and Alexander is a quite nice documentary. I particularly liked the way intertitles were used throughout, but there was nothing here especially special in the era of DVDs when such documentaries exist for millions of films. This is an excellent proto example, however, and more real and sincere than the Ingmar Bergman Makes a movie miniseries.

Wild Strawberries It's interesting, I did not remember two things about the film, the married couple on the road, and the second dream where he is being tested on being a doctor/human. Watching my bluray for the first time was an absolute treat, compared to seeing this on TCM, which was how I last saw it. It is interesting, this strikes me as perhaps the most transitional film between the light(er) period of the fifties and the long dark tea time of the soul of the sixties. It seems to possess perhaps the most complete blending of the filmographies, perhaps because it has that retrospective plot element going for it. It's almost like Bergman's Citizen Kane, where he is imagining himself as an old man recalling and revisiting his life, and I do wonder how prophetic this film wound up being in predicting the mental state of the Bergman of Fanny & Alexander and beyond when he was of an age with I.B. in this film. Just a deeply wonderful, surprisingly affirming film.

The Devil's Eye is absolutely and completely charming. I found this a delight from beginning to end, reminding me often of Lubitsch and Hollywood in general, but for some reason, the framing "projectionist" who narrates the story for us reminded me of Haxan more than almost anything else. I really and completely enjoyed all aspects of this film, from the design, to the story conceits, to the overall story with it's blend of foreboding victories for both sides. I think this will actually sneak into the very bottom of my top ten.

Smiles of a Summer Night one of my most recently watched Bergman films (five years ago) I remembered most of it pretty clearly, but my goodness, it is just completely perfect from beginning to end. The way we are woven into the lives of these couples is narratively incredible, as Bergman keeps expanding the stage and cast with each new pairing/person as they're introduced, it keeps the audiences and the characters off balance and as a result creates an explosively entertaining comedy. After watching this again, I was certain it would be my number one, but the next day I rewatched Seventh Seal.

Dreams is very nice, I really liked the bracketed opening and closing in the photography studio. For me the greatest part of the film was the central story of young doppelganger and the old man, their story was playfully, but delicately handled, it always seemed like she was in charge, and Bergman's editorial delight in taking us through the traditional movie-fun-house bag of tricks in portraying carnival rides is quite a surprise! Bergman on a roller coaster, who would have thought it! But then we perfunctorily go through the required humiliation scene with the daughter, I wish a less discordant parting of this pair had been conceived of. :-/ The mirrored extended humiliation of the photographer is repetitive and tiresome after the far more impactful one we just witnessed, and foreshadows the 60s era monologues of misery to come.

Seventh Seal I'm not sure if this was my fourth or fifth time seeing this film. But each time I watch it I am so completely riven to my core, so completely mesmerized by the entire unfolding of the film (which somehow feels new each time I watch it every five years or so) that I am almost always surprised when the film is suddenly over. This time, after having seen so many other Bergman films, I finally understood that Gunnar Bjornstrand's Jof squire character is more of the main character than Max Von Sydow. Strange how the simple act of playing chess with death makes me always remember him as the most prominent, when he is, in fact, in the film less than many of the other speaking roles. I feel like the film was even richer than I've ever experienced it because I've been so immersed in Bergman's repertory company for the past month, seeing so many of his people made it feel more intimate and impactful. I remember last time I watched this, I was struck by the humor of the piece, and that hit me even more forcefully this time around. This is probably vaulting up my all time list as well. So incredible.

All These Women ...

The complete and profound horrific awfulness of this film are hard to completely encapsulate in words. I was compiling an initial list on letter boxed a few days ago, and thought to myself, wow, Bergman hasn't made any "bad" films that I've seen, his worst I have here is still 3 stars. that's really impressive.

Then I watched All These Women. There goes that "no bad films I've seen" record! It seems that Bergman wanted to make both a silent film and/or an Italian comedy but totally and completely failed at both. There are some concepts here that are interesting: the total failure of the framing device of the wake/funeral, the failed dance scene that goes from sepia-color-sepia, the surreal failure of the little plastic floaty duck, the keaton failure of the fireworks centerpiece, or the overall failure of using Looney Tunes music cues.

The whole things is just an utter and abject piece of hot garbage from beginning to end.

Rayon Vert

#95 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 am

movielocke, you found time for All These Women but not Shame! Aarrgghh.... ;)

Just kidding. I'm happy that you found so much to like in both The Devil's Eye and Dreams. They're not making my list, but they are indeed both delightful in their own way. And of course Smiles of a Summer Night is extremely fine.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#96 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Seventeen lists in and only one film has shown up on every list. Remember to submit by the end of today if you have not done so already! Starting now, I'm not taking any edited lists from those who have already submitted, so howl out to an absent God in frustration over the films you forgot to list

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 pm

18 lists in. Two truths and a lie:

A. The top four films span four different decades
B. All but one of the films in the top ten were released by Criterion
C. The film that appeared on every list is also the number one film

Rayon Vert

#98 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri May 05, 2017 6:45 pm

B has got to be true (unless ALL ten films were released on Criterion, but that would leave out Shame...) and I'll guess A is true also: Fanny, Scenes, Persona, Seal.

movielocke

#99 Post by movielocke » Fri May 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Ballot sent:

I squeezed in a final day viewing of Shame, you guys were right, it is essential, a top ten slot for sure, for me.

rewatched for the project: 5
Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Magician, Persona

not rewatched: 9
Fanny and Alexander (theatrical), Summer Interlude, Autumn Sonata, Summer with Monika, Cries and Whispers, the five/four eclipse films

Newly watched for the project: 16
Virgin Spring, Fanny & Alexander (miniseries), Shame, Scenes from a Marriage (miniseries), Devil's Eye, Winter Light, Secrets of Women, Hour of the Wolf, Sawdust and Tinsel, Through a Glass Darkly, Dreams, Magic Flute, Making of F&A, The Silence, The Rite, All These Women

Not yet seen but available on filmstruck: 4
Passion of Anna, Lesson in Love, Faro Document 79, LIfe of Marionettes.

Major films not seen: 2
Face to Face, Saraband

I think overall, it's been a great project, I really finally filled in almost all the substantial Bergman gaps I had. Tremendous thanks to everyone for setting this up and running these auteur lists!

movielocke

#100 Post by movielocke » Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:movielocke, you found time for All These Women but not Shame! Aarrgghh.... ;)

Just kidding. I'm happy that you found so much to like in both The Devil's Eye and Dreams. They're not making my list, but they are indeed both delightful in their own way. And of course Smiles of a Summer Night is extremely fine.
Actually, I got Shame watched today! I only watched All These Women because I thought, "it's 11:45 I really shouldn't start another movie... oh look this is only 71 minutes long." to my dismay it felt much longer.