24 Hours or Less Mini-List Discussion + Suggestions

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 24 Hours or Less Mini-List Discussion + Suggestions

#51 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Reminder that lists are due this Sunday (really Monday morning when I wake up). I have received, oh, zero so far. So, you know, the clock is ticking &c

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#52 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 pm

I'm not even thinking about this list until 24 hours before the deadline.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#53 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:42 am

I forget - but does anyone know if A Night To Remember fits the criteria?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:18 am

Well, we're now within the clock and... Three lonely lists in so far. This is the voice of guilt telling you to take five minutes and make and submit a Top 10, please

Noiradelic

#55 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:54 am

Wikipedia has a list of books and films taking place within one day (films are listed second):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... in_one_day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Know this is probably be too late to help anyone, but perhaps will spur a little post-list discussion. The Eligible List covers practically all of the major films listed here, but there are a few movies of interest, like Training Day and The Incident and at least one witless inclusion: The Song Remains the Same.

EDIT: For some reason, inserting the url isn't working, so I isolated it.
Last edited by Noiradelic on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#56 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:45 am

I found it difficult in putting together my list for this because I did not just want to go for films that technically play out in one day but instead those which feel as if part of their larger theme is emphasised through the limited timeframe. There were a few films that fit the bill but where the limited timescale sort of just seemed there without being too important an element in itself. Then there was a film like Play Time or Slacker where I had never really considered the timeframe but looking at it through that perspective lends a certain poignancy to the events, as if the films are just capturing a day in the life of a city or a community.

Most of my choices are pretty obvious ones, but I thought I would mention Peter Mullan's film Orphans, which is a blackly comic piece that follows three children who begin together then separate to each face a 'dark night of the soul', before coming back together again the next morning for their mother's funeral.

Although you have to not groan at the eldest brother's line at the end when he inadvisedly wants to carry the coffin all by himself: "She ain't heavy....she's my mother!"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:07 pm

I didn't have many films to get to for this project, but here's some I did seek out:

the Cassandra Crossing (George Pan Cosmatos 1976) Italian disaster film that apparently spent all of the budget securing the stars and thirteen dollars on the climactic train wreck. Swedish Patient Zero stows away on a European train and exposes everyone aboard to a new form of the Plague. Military man Burt Lancaster demands everyone be kept aboard and they all race to their deaths on the titular bridge, which Lancaster knows is not structurally sound. Lee Strassberg (!) even shows up in an impossible and offensive role as a concentration camp survivor who is upset about being kept aboard another train and transported to his death— a film as silly as this has no business even attempting this storyline. Also, this movie abuses its opening credit “AND” privileges— three actors received the coveted final “AND” announcement, each presented one at a time!

the Dead (John Huston 1987) Lovely slice of limited time and a great example of the ability of movies restricted to small narrative windows to use the confines to capture the extraordinary ordinariness of life, here a post-holidays dinner. I barely remember this story from the Dubliners and wasn’t too invested in its right-turn in the last fifteen minutes into Big Themes, but the first hour is just wonderful and anticipates Desplechin’s mastery of party scenes. Recommended.

Harvey (Henry Koster 1950) A not great idea— nice man has invisible rabbit friend, everyone thinks he’s crazy but man they’re the crazy ones because they can’t see life as nicely as does (a quasi-“noble retard” narrative)— made worse by a completely false-headed decision to literalize Harvey’s existence in the form of doors opening and closing during the stalking of the doctor late in the film. What could be written off as ambiguous thus becomes tangibly real and the already thin material falters. Josephine Hull won an Oscar for being a shrill precursor to the homely matron role Shirley Booth would soon excel at in just a few years’ time.

Timecode (Mike Figgis 2000) Ambitious and sloppy and admirably scrappy, I warmed to this experiment as it wore on. With such an obvious and imposing gimmick, the question is quickly answered as to whether any of the elements would survive outside of the four-quadrant single-take confines to make an interesting film on their own merits (the answer is no). The performances in the film differ wildly. Those with either comedy or established art house fare backgrounds fare best, like Steven Weber, Stellan Skarsgard, and Julian Sands. The women in this film really get the short end of the stick, though: Salma Hayek is probably the worst improviser of the lot, and Jeanne Tripplehorn and Saffron Burrows are saddled with absolute nothing characters who make the top two quadrants the least-compelling. And the movie, like a lot of indie flicks, suffers the mistaken crutch of inserting a violent ending materializing out of nowhere in the absence of an adequate resolution to the narrative. I also encountered newfound justification for watching movies with nice headphones, as the overlapping sound design clearly came in for the correct quadrants while watching (Four channels coming in either Up and Down in each ear for each quadrant), making it easier to follow simultaneous strands than it would be even with most fancy speaker systems. Recommended, with the caveat that it’s heavily flawed but still of some interest. I mean, Alessandro Nivola's Joey Fatone doppelgänger rapping about Russian Tsars alone is worth sitting through all 97 minutes of this!

colinr0380

#58 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:59 pm

I used to think the "Time Toilet" film pitch was too bad for Hollywood, though these days in the wake of Sausage Party I'm not so sure!

One of the fun elements on the DVD for Timecode is the ability to switch between audio tracks on the fly. Apparently in the years since this Mike *Figgis* has been taking the film around to do 'live improvisations' of the sound mix during screenings!

(By the way years after watching this, and on seeing the establishing shot on the interview from the Life Aquatic Criterion disc, I realised that Saffron Burrows on her way from her therapist to the film studio offices seems to pass by Mark Mothersbaugh's music studio! It's the circular building where she stops to wait for the camera to cross the street, catch up and go in front of her)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I saw there was also an entirely different day's worth of footage (ie a whole other movie) on the DVD too. And they also managed to fit that unskippable animated menu intro that lasted at least a minute and a half. The DVD crammed with extras takes me back to the heyday of home video releases where studios went all out, but the animated menu shows us the worst of the era as well!

colinr0380

#60 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Its worth watching the earlier version on the disc (with its own entirely different commentary track!). Its a lot less polished as everyone is still finding their rhythms on this earlier day (the finished film was the final run-through), the earthquake tremblings are not as well synchronised and in the parts where different cameras are operating very close together the members of one camera crew occasionally get caught in the other camera, but that's all part of the fun and there are all sorts of different emphases on the same dialogue and action. And of course the surrounding traffic and pedestrians are all different too. At the end Jeanne Tripplehorn also walks off in an entirely different direction from the film studio, reaches a cafe and orders a post-murder coffee in that version, rather than just being left wandering the streets in a matching pair with Saffron Burrows at the other polar opposite point of the film as in the final take.

The biggest difference though is that the therapist in the first section who in the final film is played by Glenne Headly is in the earlier take played by Laurie Metcalf. According to the commentary it was just circumstances that meant that Metcalfe was not available on the particular day the final version was shot.

By the way that reminds me that Tripplehorn's character was originally supposed to be a possessive mobster-type male character in a kind of coercive relationship! That's a little more toned down from being so conventional in the lesbian relationship here, though I don't know if that makes the adultery-shooting plot particularly better or worse, or more justified, etc!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Reminder that lists are due by the morning. Only eight lists including mine so far. I'm not even going to bother compiling unless we get ten, so don't stand on the sidelines and watch the List Project take its first ever L

Noiradelic

#62 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:27 pm

I threw together a list at the last minute, so hopefully at least one person's still viewing tonight and will submit a list before morning.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#63 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Just did! Procrastinating half-assed list submitters for the win!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:57 pm

We're at eleven now, so we are past the danger. But let's keep pushing for more submissions, gang! Here's a pic of Corey Feldman in Michael Jackson's handmedowns entertaining Jerry Lewis to inspire you all in this marathon of submissions:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#65 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 am

Well, our list goes to eleven. Results soon

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:00 am

I do not avoid topping the list, Criterion Forum. But I do deny you my essence

TOP FILMS SET OVER 24 HOURS OR LESS

01 Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick 1964)
02 Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio De Sica 1948)
03 Dog Day Afternoon (Sidney Lumet 1975)
04 Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman 1961)
05 Rope (Alfred Hitchcock 1948)

06 Night and the City (Jules Dassin 1950)
07 Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee 1989)
08 On the Town (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly 1949)
09 Alien (Ridley Scott 1979)
09 Rebel Without a Cause (Nicholas Ray 1955)

11 Odd Man Out (Carol Reed, 1947)
12 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet 1957)
13 Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami 2010)
13 Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón 2013)
13 the Killing (Stanley Kubrick 1956)

16 Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater 1993)
17 Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson 1999)
18 PlayTime (Jacques Tati 1967)
19 Lonesome (Paul Fejos 1928)
20 the Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino 2015)

21 Touch of Evil (Orson Welles 1958)
22 Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis 1993)
22 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (FW Murnau 1927)
24 After Hours (Martin Scorsese 1985)
25 Where is the Friend’s Home? (Abbas Kiarostami 1987)

ALSO RANS

Die Hard, Before Sunset, Elephant (Van Sant), My Dinner With Andre, Night of the Living Dead, Triangle (2009), the Aviator’s Wife, the Devil Thumbs a Ride, Slacker, Stalker, Knife in the Water, the White Balloon (Panahi), the Myth of the American Sleepover, His Girl Friday, the Warriors, Detective Story, Before Sunrise, Duel, Assault on Precinct 13, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Zazie dans le metro

ORPHANS

A Single Man, Abigail’s Party, About Elly, American Graffiti

Before Midnight, Before Tonight is Over, the Breakfast Club, Brief Crossing, Buffalo ’66, Bunny Lake is Missing

Changing Lanes, Cleo From 5 to 7, Clerks

the Dead, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Dillinger is Dead, Drama/Mex

Escape From New York, Eyes Wide Shut

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Festen, the Fireman’s Ball

Glengarry Glen Ross

Halloween, Hard Candy, Holy Motors

I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Into the Night, It’s a Wonderful Life

Jurassic Park

Life and Nothing More, Like Someone In Love, Locke, Long Day’s Journey Into Night (1962)

Mickey and Nicky, Miss Pettigrew Lives a Day, Mr Thank You

the Narrow Margin (1952)

Offside, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Orphans (1998)

Panic Room, the Party and the Guests, Phone Booth, Planet Terror

Quick Change

Run Lola Run, Runaway Train

Seven Chances, Silver Lode, Sixteen Candles, Snake Eyes, Snowpiercer

Tape, Targets, Taste of Cherry, the Tempest (Jarman), Timecode, the Towering Inferno, Training Day, the Trouble With Harry, 25th Hour

United 93

What Happened Was, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Winter Light

dustybooks

#67 Post by dustybooks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for compiling this, domino. For me personally it was quite difficult to think of films in these terms and I know I sort of threw my list together in a panic. Here's my list:

1. Sunrise (Murnau)
2. Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet)
3. Do the Right Thing (Lee)
4. The Killing (Kubrick)
5. The Trouble with Harry (Hitchcock) - ORPHAN; I believe technically this stretches over slightly more than 24 hours, but only taking the very last scene into account
6. Seven Chances (Keaton) - ORPHAN; didn't see this mentioned anywhere but apart from the opening montage, it's a one-day story
7. Rebel Without a Cause (Ray)
8. I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Zemeckis) - ORPHAN; my goal is to apparently to get this orphaned on every possible list where it qualifies
9. Night of the Living Dead (Romero) - ALSO RAN
10. Duel (Spielberg) - ALSO RAN
11. Targets (Bogdanovich) - ORPHAN
12. Rope (Hitchcock)
13. His Girl Friday (Hawks) - ALSO RAN
14. Touch of Evil (Welles)
15. It's a Wonderful Life (Capra) - ORPHAN

Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies and I considered it for my list, but for some reason I had never really thought of its timeframe until this cameup; The Killing jumped out at me a bit more. (I considered Fail-Safe as well.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#68 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks domino! Here was my top 10:

01 Before Sunset
02 Where Is the Friend's Home?
03 Lonesome
04 Night and the City
05 On the Town
06 My Dinner with Andre
07 Sunrise
08 12 Angry Men
09 Dog Day Afternoon
10 Silver Lode

Would have probably found room for PlayTime if it had been mentioned before I submitted my list.

bottled spider

#69 Post by bottled spider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:03 pm

I revisited or watched for the first time a number films for this list, as the category interests me. I even drew up two different lists, one of twenty films I like most that are eligible, and another one of twenty I like that most fully embody the category. I debated over which to submit, only to submit neither because I got too busy before going away on vacation. But in view of the desperate pleas for participants I threw together a list from memory at the last minute.

The final list has ten I've never seen, and another five I have no recollection of taking place in a twenty-four hour timeframe.

DarkImbecile

#70 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks as always for the compilation and promotion of the list, Domino! I had a rough list of 30 or so contenders going back several weeks, but hadn't pared them down or ordered them (or made sure it was comprehensive enough, as will become apparent) until last night, so I've already had several second thoughts about the placement and back-end choices I made. Biggest head-smacking oversights on my part: Do the Right Thing (inexplicable top-five omission) and The Killing (definitely belonged in the #11-20 range); I considered Groundhog Day, but it seemed like a technical allowance that violated the spirit of the list, so I left it off, but had I added it it would have been in the #13 or #14 spot.

1. Magnolia - #17 (I don't know that I could defend this as an objectively betterfilm than the following two, but it's certainly my personal favorite, and that counts for just enough in my scoring system to put it on the top)
2. Bicycle Thieves - #02
3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - #01
4. Alien - #09
5. Dog Day Afternoon - #03 (Surprised that this finished as high as it did on the final list; it's a classic, but not one that inspires the passion that others seem to)
6. 25th Hour - ORPHAN (Bizarre that this very good Spike Lee joint came to mind and not his most famous masterpiece)
7. The Hateful Eight - #20
8. Die Hard - ALSO RAN (Ranked maybe too high for sentimental reasons, and shocked that it wasn't enough to sneak it onto the list, though it appears to have been the first runner-up)
9. Locke - ORPHAN (If I'd had my shit together, I would have spotlighted and written this one up to try to spare it this ignominious fate)
10. United 93 - ORPHAN (Probably the only real surprise among my orphans; I probably hold it in higher esteem than most, but it seemed like a likely back-end list candidate for at least one other vote)
11. Gravity - #13
12. Night of The Living Dead - ALSO RAN
13. The Warriors - ALSO RAN
14. Odd Man Out - #11
15. Assault on Precinct 13 - ALSO RAN
16. Training Day - ORPHAN
17. Changing Lanes - ORPHAN (Not surprised that any of these back five were orphaned, but I've always had a soft spot for this crafty little drama)
18. Run Lola Run - ORPHAN
19. Duel - ALSO RAN
20. Panic Room - ORPHAN (If anyone ever needed proof that I love David Fincher too much...)

Rayon Vert

#71 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks Domino!

Through a Glass Darkly was my no. 1 - surprised it got as high as it did. I also helped put Dr Strangelove, Rope, Alien and Rebel in the top ten. I didn't vote for It's a Wonderful Life just because too much of it is outside the 24-hour frame. Night and the City I haven't seen yet :oops:, but will soon.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#72 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:08 am

My Top 20 (with ORPHANS highlighted)

01 Triangle
02 Gravity
03 On the Town
04 Night and the City
05 Into the Night
06 Rope
07 Detective Story
08 His Girl Friday
09 the Breakfast Club
10 Hard Candy

11 the Hateful Eight
12 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
13 Planet Terror
14 American Graffiti

15 the Myth of the American Sleepover
16 Zazie dans le metro
17 Runaway Train
18 Jurassic Park
19 Die Hard With a Vengeance
20 Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

The popularity of the entire Top 5 outside of Rope really threw me, but I honestly had no idea what even would be considered a front runner for this one! Lots of great films got left out (including at least one All Time personal fav in Rebel Without a Cause) and not because I forgot them exactly, but because they just weren't the titles I thought of when I sat down and compiled a list of the films that I most strongly associate with this format. Triangle got more people voting for it than several of the films in the proper Top 25, but I was the only one throwing heavy weight behind it. It and Gravity went back and forth for my number one, with Triangle constantly inching ever closer into All Time status for me making its topping here all but inevitable

Oh, and I've seen 25/25

DarkImbecile

#73 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:14 am

Hold on a second: you like Die Hard with a Vengeance more than the original? It's easily better than the other sequels, but you really prefer it to one of the all-time, genre-defining action movies?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:28 am

I did select it for the header picture in the first post, so obviously I am broadly on its side! I think each Die Hard film is roughly twice as good as the film before it, culminating in Live Free or Die Hard's perfectly absurd celebration of novelty (but it takes place over a couple days, so ineligible here). And then the bottom dropped out with the fifth film, which might still be the worst action film I've ever seen. If you think the original Die Hard is the end-all be-all, I'm going to go ahead and surmise you hate the fourth one, so we may not have much common ground here!

Rayon Vert

#75 Post by Rayon Vert » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:45 am

domino harvey wrote:Triangle got more people voting for it than several of the films in the proper Top 25, but I was the only one throwing heavy weight behind it. It and Gravity went back and forth for my number one, with Triangle constantly inching ever closer into All Time status for me making its topping here all but inevitable
I just checked to see what Triangle is about, and realized I saw it a few weeks back! (My memory for titles, unless classics, is horrendous.) I was looking with a friend for underrated/under-the-radar potentially worthwhile recent-ish horror films we may have missed. Unfortunately (and not surprisingly, for me, in this genre), I thought it was near god-awful. (For comparison, I thought the same of the much-vaunted The Witch here by at least some on this forum.) Triangle was based on a perhaps better idea, but it was confusing at times (which I guess was intentional) and I didn't find the execution fleshed it out in any interesting way (probably didn't help there didn't seem to be much effort put into building characters we care about). There's no accounting for taste I'm afraid!