The All-Time List Discussion Thread (Decade Project Vol. 3)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
colinr0380

Re: The All-Time List Discussion Thread

#651 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:31 am

It was fun to see how an all time list panned out! My top ten for this were:

1. Contempt
2. Man With A Movie Camera
3. L’eclisse
4. Rear Window (1954)
5. Solaris (1972)
6. Red Beard
7. The Passion Of Joan Of Arc
8. M (1931)
9. The Seventh Victim
10. L’Avventura

Lowry_Sam

#652 Post by Lowry_Sam » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 am

Well here's my second list. I did a few alterations to my original list, even though I had only one orphan (which surprised me), A Page Of Madness (which did not surprise me). I had rewatched some films & they didn't turn out as stunning as when I first watched them (most notably the entire Dekalog series, which I had loved immensely the first time around, but while I still liked them the second time, I didn't find all of them to be as good as #5 (A Short Film About Killing). I also dropped Spirited Away & Irreversible from my list as they were at the bottom & I had noticed I forgot Taxi Driver & 2001: A Space Odyssey in my original, nor did I have a single film by Murnau in my list (perhaps because I couldn't decide between Sunrise & Der Letzte Mann.)

The project has made me more aware of how much of an influence the actual experience of watching a movie has on my estimation of its worthiness. My first encounter with most of the films on my list were on the big screen & my revisiting them by home viewing has confirmed most of those decisions, but not all. So I am guessing that there is something in the experience of viewing some of the films on the list during their theatrical release that is somehow not captured while viewing them at home on a tv that explains how someone can actually sit through them, let alone put them on a top 100 of all time list (ie. Mulholland Dr., Phantom of the Paradise, Contempt, The Tree of Life). I guess that some might have the same reaction to Irreversible, which is one of my favorite post-Millenium films (of which I do not have very many favorites) in large part because I saw it @ a midnight screening at the SF Horror Film festival & only went because I was familiar with the director & that he was supposed to attend the screening (but did not). Knowing absolutely nothing about the film going into it except for the fact that the person introducing the film warned us that someone had fainted during the North American premiere in NYC the night before & had to be taken to the hospital & that the film would not get a US distribution deal, so that we were lucky to get to see it @ such an impromptu screening. If I had only first encountered the film only years after its release, after so much has been said about it & on my own TV, I don't know that it would have had as much an impact on me as it did during this screening, as I would have certain expectations about the film & probably find the more off-putting aspects of it to rub me the wrong way & cause me not to like it at all (I'm still waiting for a blu-ray of Irreversible to revisit it, so I can't say whether it still holds up for me).

I'm also guessing that is why Napoleon did not make the list. Sitting in a theater w/ a live orchestra for several hours & then having curtains pull away to reveal 3 screens playing the last reel is a unique & breath-taking cinema experience & certainly influenced my high estimation of the film. Sitting through the entire thing @ home on a TV w/ multiple bathroom/snack breaks, probably not so much.

The first dozen or so on my list really stand out for me because I absolutely never get tired of watching them. I have watched #1 & #2 at least a dozen times & wouldn't hesitate to go out & see them on a big screen again, even though I own them on disc. I have also switched them periodically between 1 & 2 over the years, but they've both always topped my favorite films of all time list for 2 decades now, so I was completely vexed to see my #1 not make the top 100, particularly knowing that I had only 1 orphan.

1. La Dolce Vita Federico Fellini
2. Brazil Terry Gilliam
3. Modern Times Charles Chaplin
4. Metropolis Fritz Lang
5. Tokyo Story Yasujirō Ozu
6. Casablanca Michael Curtiz
7. The Battle of Algiers Gillo Pontecorvo
8. Vertigo Alfred Hitchcock
9. Manhattan Woody Allen
10. Apocalypse Now Francis Ford Coppola
11. Citizen Kane Orson Welles
12. Le notti di Cabiria Federico Fellini
13. Red Beard Akira Kurosawa
14. The Lives of Others Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
15. Napoléon Abel Gance
16. Alien Ridley Scott
17. In the Mood for Love Wong Kar-wai
18. The Wages of Fear Henri-Georges Clouzot
19. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg Jacques Demy
20. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Sergio Leone
21. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie Luis Buñuel
22. Fanny and Alexander Ingmar Bergman
23. Rear Window Alfred Hitchcock
24. La Ronde Max Ophüls
25. Day of Wrath Carl Dreyer
26. Great Expectations David Lean
27. Taxi Driver Martin Scorsese
28. Children of Paradise Marcel Carné
29. Marketa Lazarová František Vláčil
30. La Jetée Chris Marker
31. The Conversation Francis Ford Coppola
32. Der Letzte Mann FW Murnau
33. Flowers of Shanghai Hou Hsiao-hsien
34. Berlin Alexanderplatz Rainer Werner Fassbinder
35. Come and See Elem Klimov
36. PlayTime Jacques Tati
37. Woman in the Dunes Hiroshi Teshigahara
38. Army of Shadows Jean-Pierre Melville
39. The Human Condition Masaki Kobayashi
40. Repulsion Roman Polański
41. Madame de… Max Ophüls
42. Safe Todd Haynes
43. Night of the Living Dead George Romero
44. Nashville Robert Altman
45. The Graduate Mike Nichols
46. Beau travail Claire Denis
47. 2001: A Space Odyssey Stanley Kubrick
48. Late Spring Yasujirō Ozu
49. Dekalog Krzysztof Kieslowski
50. Lilja 4-ever Lukas Moodysson

Biggest shockers:

The Apartment #2. Really? (It's not better than Sunset Blvd, Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Ace In The Hole, Witness For The Prosecution, or even Some Like It Hot.......so how did it get #2 overall?)
Only Fellini to make the list is 8 1/2 @ #72, so my favorite director got no help from me for his only inclusion.
Only Allen to make the list is Manhattan @ #85 (and without my help looks like he would not have made the list at all).
The Young Girls of Rochefort makes it on to the list (& @ #30!), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg does not (wtf!).
Chunking Express (27) beating In The Mood For Love (60)
The Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, & A Canterbury Tale make the list. Great Expectations & Brief Encounter do not.

Nicest surprises:

Vertigo #1.....w/ some of the choices here (ie. #2), I would have expected a lesser Hitchcock topping the list.
Marketa Lazarova in the top 25.
Pierrot le fou (33) beating Contempt (68).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#653 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 am

The Apartment #2. Really? (It's not better than Sunset Blvd, Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Ace In The Hole, Witness For The Prosecution, or even Some Like It Hot.......so how did it get #2 overall?)
Probably because it is better than all those films put together or even multiplied by each other

knives

#654 Post by knives » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 am

Multiplying by a decimal is always going to make something smaller though.

John Shade

#655 Post by John Shade » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 am

Has Contempt had a better reputation historically than Pierrot? When I did my initial delving into film I remember wanting to see Pierrot more simply because it seemed crazier. I loved it then and it holds up strongly for me now. I guess my biggest New Wave surprises were that Vivre sa Vie and Jules and Jim (and Shoot the Piano Player) didn't place; I guess Truffaut didn't get much love in the decades project.

Lowry I like your write up about seeing a movie on a big screen compared to at home with all the potential distractions. That's true for my appreciation for Malick and Lynch, even though they hold up for me at home. Oddly enough I remember seeing Andrei Rublev for the first time on a very small tv early on a Saturday morning. Halfway through I paused it to take a break, but the final act involving the boy with the bell had me transfixed and when it ended I immediately watched that sequence again. I hope that can still happen even with the longer, epic films.

Like you I'm also sort of puzzled by how Fellini has fallen so far. Of the other art house beloveds Bicycle Thieves and The Seventh Seal still hold up really well for me, but maybe others have moved on or just couldn't find room as there were so many good films to choose from.

One final point: was there ever anything resembling a rivalry between David Lean and the Archers? Because I kind of do the same thing when I see a list of this nature, compare the two, but then I wonder if it's just a national thing. I love Lean's Great Expectations, about as perfect an adaptation as could exist then, but I get more and more out of my favorite Archers films when I revisit them.

Satori

#656 Post by Satori » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 am

My Full List:

Also Rans in Bold

1. Celine and Julie Go Boating
2. The Seventh Victim
3. Daisies
4. Playtime
5. Tokyo Story
6. Mädchen in Uniform
7. Holiday
8. Imitation of Life
9. Beau Travail
(Orphan: Paris is Burning)
10. Rio Bravo
11. Jeanne Dielman
12. Dorian Grey as Represented in the Popular Press
13. Fucking Amal
14. The Passion of Joan of Arc
15. His Girl Friday
16. Rules of the Game
17. Stage Door
18. Le Pont Du Nord
19. Stranger than Paradise
20. My Neighbor Totoro
21. Late Spring
22. Pierrot le Fou
23. Bringing up Baby
24. L’atlante
25. Safe
26. Early Summer
27. Suspiria
28. To Sleep With Anger
29. Curse of the Cat People
30. Picnic at Hanging Rock
31. Night of the Hunter
32. Stagecoach
33. Design for Living
34. Werkmeister Harmonies
35. Syndromes and a Century
(Orphan: Chocolat)
36. Greed
37. High and Low
38. Battle of Algiers
39. Three Women
40. All the President’s Men
41. City Girl
42. Psycho
43. Maltese Falcon
44. All that Heaven Allows
45. Sansho the Bailiff
46. La Chute de la Maison Usher
47. Sans Soleil
48. The Phantom of Liberty
49. Mr. Thank You
50. Goldiggers of 1933

Feego

#657 Post by Feego » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:12 am

Rayon Vert wrote:Also a bit surprised at how well Love Me Tonight did. It's not bad but I found it doesn't hold a candle to Lubitsch’s The Love Parade and The Merry Widow (not to mention The Smiling Lieutenant with Hopkins and Colbert instead of MacDonald). The irony, wit and naughtiness just aren’t up to par, and sometimes the visuals seems to draw attention to themselves rather than enhance the story. Some good numbers though.
I do enjoy Love Me Tonight very much, and I voted for it, but had The Merry Widow been eligible, that surely would have gotten my vote instead. Truly one of the greatest confections Lubitsch (or Hollywood) ever served up.

theflirtydozen

#658 Post by theflirtydozen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:The Young Girls of Rochefort makes it on to the list (& @ #30!), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg does not (wtf!).
Marketa Lazarova in the top 25.
You're welcome:
Orphans in bold, list-makers in red, also-rans otherwise
01. Marketa Lazarová (Frantisek Vláčil, 1967)
02. The Young Girls of Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967)

03. Alice (Jan Švankmajer, 1987)
04. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
05. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

06. All That Heaven Allows (Douglas Sirk, 1955)
07. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924)
08. Lonesome (Paul Fejos, 1928)
09. Possession (Andrzej Żuławski, 1981) :(
10. The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
11. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)
12. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (Jaromil Jireš, 1970)
13. Seconds (John Frankenheimer, 1966)
14. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964)
15. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
16. Ordet (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955)
17. The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)

18. Safe (Todd Haynes, 1995)
19. The Man Who Fell to Earth (Nicolas Roeg, 1976)
20. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
21. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)

22. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
23. Late Spring (Yasujirō Ozu, 1949)
24. Phantom of the Paradise (Brian De Palma, 1974)

25. 35 Shots of Rum (Claire Denis, 2008)
26. Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
27. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
28. Dancer in the Dark (Lars Von Trier, 2000)
29. Woman in the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964)
30. Daisies (Vera Chytilová, 1966)
31. Suspiria (Dario Argento, 1977)
32. Dekalog (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1989)
33. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (Sergei Parajanov, 1965)
34. Pickpocket (Robert Bresson, 1959)
35. Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
36. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
37. The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)

38. Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
39. A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan, 1957)
40. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)
41. Black Narcissus (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1947)
42. The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen, 1985)
43. Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau, 1946)
44. Duck Soup (Leo McCarey, 1933)
45. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
46. Notorious (Alfred Hitchcock, 1946)
47. Satantango (Béla Tarr, 1994)
48. My Night at Maud's (Éric Rohmer, 1969)
49. J'accuse! (Abel Gance, 1919)
50. The Leopard (Luchino Visconti, 1963)

Didn't really participate in discussion, but definitely followed it and used the opportunity to knock off a lot of my unwatched pre-20s films from the master list. Anyway, here's my unseen, a modest 130 total:
SpoilerShow
Hypocrites,The Outlaw and His Wife,Sir Arne's Treasure,Maldone,The Wonderful Lies of Nina Petrowna,Finis terræ,Days of Youth,Earth,City Girl,La petite Lise,Au bonheur des dames,Mädchen in Uniform,Study No. 7,The Last Flight,Blonde Venus,Ich bei Tag und du bei Nacht,I Was Born, But…,Japanese Girls at the Harbor,Rapt,Maskerade,The Goddess,The Devil Is a Woman,The Good Fairy,Mr. Thank You,Le Crime de Monsieur Lange,Morning's Tree-Lined Street,Gueule d'amour,Pépé le moko,Drôle de drame,Humanity and Paper Balloons,The Story of the Late Chrysanthemums,Midnight,Listen to Britain,Fires Were Started,Lumière d'été,Opfergang,A Diary for Timothy,Hangover Square,Unter den Brücken,Canyon Passage,Ritual in Transfigured Time,Force of Evil,Letter from an Unknown Woman,Yellow Sky,Le Silence de la mer,Francesco, giullare di Dio,Early Summer,Man of the West,Yearning,Charulata,Death by Hanging,Inferno of First Love,The Cow,Diary of a Shinjuku Thief,Medea,Deep End,The Man Who Left His Will on Film,Days and Nights in the Forest,Scenes from a Marriage,Du côté d'Orouët,The Mother and the Whore,Celine and Julie Go Boating,La Gueule ouverte,Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles,At Long Last Love,Obsession,The Killing of a Chinese Bookie,The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting,The Falls,Le Pont du Nord,They All Laughed,À nos amours,City of Pirates,L'Argent,Body Double,Yellow Earth,Heimat,Stranger Than Paradise,Manoël on the Island of Marvels,Dorian Gray as Represented in the Popular Press,Taipei Story,Hail Mary,Sherman's March,Pee-wee's Big Adventure,Terrorizers,The Green Ray,Mauvais sang,Where Is the Friend's Home?,The Man Who Planted Trees,Chocolat,Kiki's Delivery Service,A City of Sadness,Black Rain,Chameleon Street,To Sleep with Anger,The Asthenic Syndrome,Sink or Swim,La Belle Noiseuse,Hear My Cry,Farewell My Concubine,Short Cuts,Through the Olive Trees,The Convent,Nénette et Boni,A Moment of Innocence,Henry Fool,Hana-bi,Happy Together,Flowers of Shanghai,Fucking Åmål,The Hole,The Wind Will Carry Us,L'Humanité,Beau travail,Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors,Millennium Mambo,Ten,Russian Ark,Irréversible,Lilja 4-ever,Histoire de Marie et Julien,The World,L'Annulaire,About Elly,Certified Copy,Mysteries of Lisbon,My Joy,Margaret,Holy Motors,We Are the Best!

dustybooks

#659 Post by dustybooks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am

Though it's far from my favorite Capra, I too love It's a Wonderful Life and actually find it quite dark. I sort of hated it when I was a kid though, so I guess I had the opposite track of most folks here. (I do think The Best Years of Our Lives absolutely demolishes it, and most other films.) As for The Apartment, it was my first Billy Wilder film and will probably always be my favorite... but I don't find it markedly superior to his other heavy hitters (except The Lost Weekend, which I find extremely underwhelming), just warmer and more inviting.

Typically I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my entire list up -- makes me feel pretty naked, honestly -- but I really really enjoy reading everyone else's, so here we go.
1. The Crowd (Vidor 1928) - also-ran
2. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick 1975)
3. Vertigo (Hitchcock 1958)
4. The 400 Blows (Truffaut 1959)
5. Sunrise (Murnau 1927)
6. Wings of Desire (Wenders 1987) - also-ran
7. Citizen Kane (Welles 1941)
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick 1968)
9. Rear Window (Hitchcock 1958)
10. Un Chien Andalou (Buñuel 1929) - also-ran; I just still believe there's nothing quite so alive as this, though I think L'Age d'Or is equally vital and it would have been on my list had I voted in round one
11. The Apartment (Wilder 1960)
12. Notorious (Hitchcock 1946) - also-ran, quite surprising to me, I think it's the most "impeccable" Hitchcock apart from Rear Window
13. The Best Years of Our Lives (Wyler 1946)
14. Faust (Murnau 1926) - also-ran
15. Black Narcissus (Powell & Pressburger 1947) - also-ran
16. The Third Man (Reed 1949)
17. Days of Heaven (Malick 1978)
18. Rebel Without a Cause (Ray 1955)
19. Wild Strawberries (Bergman 1957) - also-ran
20. City Lights (Chaplin 1931)
21. Chinatown (Polanski 1974)
22. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick 1964) - also-ran; I know humor is extremely subjective but I don't know that any movie's script has ingrained itself into my day to day vocabulary more, like at Simpsons level
23. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Allen 1989) - also-ran; as years go by this becomes more and more the strongest of his films to me
24. M (Lang 1931)
25. Double Indemnity (Wilder 1944)
26. North by Northwest (Hitchcock 1959)
27. The Conversation (Coppola 1974)
28. The Wind (Sjostrom 1928) - also-ran
29. Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick 1999) - also-ran
30. Manhattan (Allen 1979)
31. Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock 1951) - also-ran
32. The Wages of Fear (Clouzot 1953) - also-ran
33. The 39 Steps (Hitchcock 1935) - also-ran
34. High and Low (Kurosawa 1963) - also-ran
35. Badlands (Malick 1973) - also-ran
36. The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich 1971) - also-ran
37. Psycho (Hitchcock 1960)
38. Touch of Evil (Welles 1958)
39. Bringing Up Baby (Hawks 1938)
40. The River (Renoir 1951) - also-ran
41. Les Vampires (Feuillade 1915) - also-ran
42. Brazil (Gilliam 1985) - also-ran
43. Paris, Texas (Wenders 1988)
44. Casablanca (Curtiz 1942)
45. Dancer in the Dark (Trier 2000) - also-ran
46. The Lady Eve (Sturges 1941) - also-ran
47. Fantasia (Algar et al. 1940) - also-ran
48. Metropolis (Lang 1927)
49. Annie Hall (Allen 1977) - also-ran
50. Children of Men (Cuaron 2006) - also-ran

The Passion of Joan of Arc would have been toward the top but I completely forgot it or somehow missed it on the list. D'oh.

Each of the first nine has been my all-time favorite movie at some point. I went with The Crowd probably because I revisited it most recently, find it to be one of the few films I'd consider perfect, and just wanted to champion a probable underdog. I repeatedly go back and forth on which Kubrick is my favorite; I've personally never seen 2001 on a large screen but still find it a transcendent, deeply moving and even fun experience, but again recency bias plays a role, because I rewatched Barry Lyndon last year and was again totally swept up by it. Say what you want about the 101 stigma around Kubrick love but his best movies still absorb me like no others, and regardless of how much more I see I suspect he and Hitchcock will always remain the giants for me.

As I said earlier in the thread I've only just started doubling down hard on trying to fill in my knowledge of the major parts of the canon, which means my list is doomed to be pretty outdated I'm sure. (This past year I watched every single title on the first iteration of this forum's first silent era list and saw so many wonderful films that way.) For example I saw the astounding Trouble in Paradise for the very first time just after submitting my list, and it would almost certainly have been an entry with slightly different timing.

My list of unwatched films in the top 100 is embarrassing but for statistical purposes -- and know that I'll be seeing them all in due course:
SpoilerShow
Playtime, To Be or Not to Be, Celine and Julie Go Boating, Ordet, Marketa Lazarová, Last Year at Marienbad, Chungking Express, Blue Velvet, The Young Girls of Rochefort, Pierrot le fou, A Man Escaped, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Dekalog, Late Spring, A Canterbury Tale, Trouble in Paradise [but not anymore], Solaris, Mirror, Sans soleil, Contempt, A Brighter Summer Day, Daisies, Rio Bravo, The Thin Red Line, La Jetée, L'eclisse, Yi yi, Close-Up, L'avventura, Andrei Rublyov, Phantom of the Paradise, Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, The Roaring Twenties, City of Pirates, Pather Panchali, That Obscure Object of Desire.
Feel free to ban me, I accept my fate.

Mr Sheldrake

#660 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

1 Bringing Up Baby
2 The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
3 Rear Window
4 The Apartment
5 The Third Man
6 Touch of Evil
7 Anatomy of a Murder
8 L'Avventura
9 Sansho the Bailiff
10 Trouble in Paradise

My list was top heavy with comedies, these are the movies that mean the most to me, influenced as well by recent re-viewings while reading James Harvey's great book on Hollywood romantic comedies of the 30s and 40s, timeless stuff that can never be reproduced. But so many great films to choose from! I noticed only one vote for Ugetsu, how could that be? Thought it was me but when looking over my list, I had neglected it as well.

feckless boy

#661 Post by feckless boy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 pm

denti alligator wrote:So who put Walking from Munich to Berlin at no. 1?
That would've been me. No need to defend myself, right? I mean we're all picking favourites off of a list of extremely vetted candidates.

theflirtydozen

#662 Post by theflirtydozen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 pm

swo17 wrote:As for the results, a certain film just shot into the lead which didn't even make the last Sight & Sound poll! (Actually, neither did 2 other films currently in the top 5.)
Swo, do you have answers for the various clues you were dropping as the list was compiled? I have a feeling that this one was Marketa Lazarová, since it fits the bill and it was shortly after I submitted my list.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#663 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

It was either that or Celine and Julie. Persona was the one I said would make us look like a bunch of snobs. If I made any other clues that people are dying to know the answers to, I can try and remember how the list looked at that point.

Ribs

#664 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Top Ten:
1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
2. Broadcast News
3. Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure
4. Z
5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
6. Three Colors: Red
7. Citizen Kane
8. Three Colors: Blue
9. The Human Condition
10. Jurassic Park

Disclaimer: I have terrible taste.

zedz

#665 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 pm

feckless boy wrote:
That would've been me. No need to defend myself, right? I mean we're all picking favourites off of a list of extremely vetted candidates.
I assumed that denti was asking because he was shocked to find somebody who loved the film more than he did.

feckless boy

#666 Post by feckless boy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm

zedz wrote:
feckless boy wrote:
I assumed that denti was asking because he was shocked to find somebody who loved the film more than he did.
Came off as really defensive didn't it? Sorry about that. I'm sure you're right, I mean who'd look up a film that far down the list if she/he didn't care about it? Anyway, hopefully someone will seek this gem of a travelogue out despite of our minor misunderstandings.

zedz

#667 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Hey swo, when you're settled back in the country, would it be possible to do a "passion-ranking" of this latest all-time list along the lines of what you did to get the short-list for this project in the first place? i.e. what the results look like if we just counted everybody's top ten.

John Shade

#668 Post by John Shade » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Ribs, I like your taste. The two of us likely propelled Red to the top 100. Also I feel like you're bolder than me by just letting Park and Grand Budapest go so high, two films I also love. Kane also made my top ten--just old fashioned.

Curious for the W Anderson voters, particularly those who placed Tenenbaums so high, was that your first Wes movie or just the overall favorite?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#669 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:30 pm

zedz wrote:Hey swo, when you're settled back in the country, would it be possible to do a "passion-ranking" of this latest all-time list along the lines of what you did to get the short-list for this project in the first place? i.e. what the results look like if we just counted everybody's top ten.
Why wait?

01. The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960) 74/13/1(x2)/+1
02. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968) 67/10/1/+1
03. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958) 47/10/2(x2)/-2
04. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924) 46/9/1(x2)/+5
(tie) The Man with the Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929) 46/7/1(x2)/+7
06. Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974) 44/6/1(x2)/+15
07. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954) 42/9/1/-3
08. PlayTime (Jacques Tati, 1967) 40/6/1(x2)/0
09. Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001) 39/6/2/-4
10. To Be or Not to Be (Ernst Lubitsch, 1942) 38/6/2/+3
(tie) La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (Carl Dreyer, 1928) 38/7/1/-3
12. Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957) 36/8/2/-2
(tie) Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979) 36/6/2(x2)/+17
14. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979) 34/6/3(x3)/+9
15. Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974) 33/5/2(x2)/+49
16. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939) 30/7/3/-10
(tie) Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941) 30/6/4(x2)/-1
(tie) The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972) 30/5/2(x2)/+9
(tie) Marketa Lazarová (František Vláčil, 1967) 30/4/1/+8
20. Tokyo Story (Yasujirō Ozu, 1953) 29/5/2/+19
21. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966) 28/6/3/-9
(tie) Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984) 28/4/1/+42
(tie) The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974) 28/5/4/+15
24. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954) 27/4/1/-6
(tie) The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949) 27/5/3(x2)/-10
(tie) The Red Shoes (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948) 27/4/2/+17
(tie) It's a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946) 27/5/3(x3)/+12
(tie) Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968) 27/3/1/+51
(tie) L'eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962) 27/3/1/+56
(tie) Notre musique (Jean-Luc Godard, 2004) 27/3/1/+106
31. Ordet (Carl Dreyer, 1955) 26/6/1/-9
(tie) Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994) 26/7/3/-4
33. Chinatown (Roman Polański, 1974) 25/6/2/-14
(tie) Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962) 25/4/1/+17
(tie) Three Colors: Red (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994) 25/3/1/+47
36. The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955) 24/7/4/-20
(tie) A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1944) 24/4/1/+21
(tie) Rebel Without a Cause (Nicholas Ray, 1955) 24/5/5(x2)/+11
(tie) Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959) 24/4/1/+40
(tie) The Roaring Twenties (Raoul Walsh, 1939) 24/4/1/+57
41. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick, 1975) 23/3/1/+2
(tie) The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001) 23/4/1/-5
43. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960) 22/4/2/-26
(tie) The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1943) 22/4/1/+2
(tie) 8½ (Federico Fellini, 1963) 22/3/1/+29
(tie) Yi yi (Edward Yang, 2000) 22/4/2/+41
47. The General (Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926) 21/3/3/-27
(tie) Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986) 21/3/1/-19
(tie) Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963) 21/5/1/+21
(tie) Rushmore (Wes Anderson, 1998) 21/3/3(x2)/+35
(tie) Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972) 21/4/3/+15
52. The Young Girls of Rochefort (Jacques Demy, 1967) 19/3/2/-22
(tie) A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991) 19/4/1/+19
(tie) The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980) 19/3/2/+54
(tie) Alice (Jan Švankmajer, 1988) 19/3/2/+50
56. Modern Times (Charles Chaplin, 1936) 18/3/2/+71
(tie) Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002) 18/3/2/+77
(tie) Pee Wee's Big Adventure (Tim Burton, 1985) 18/3/2/+92
(tie) The Docks of New York (Josef von Sternberg, 1928) 18/3/4/+99
(tie) Walking from Munich to Berlin (Oskar Fischinger, 1927) 18/2/1/+107
61. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1938) 17/2/1/-26
(tie) Sans soleil (Chris Marker, 1983) 17/3/2/+4
(tie) Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958) 17/4/4/+27
(tie) The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998) 17/2/1/+16
(tie) Ivan the Terrible (Sergei Eisenstein, 1944/6) 17/4/2/+52
(tie) That Obscure Object of Desire (Luis Buñuel, 1977) 17/4/5(x2)/+38
67. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942) 16/4/4/-36
(tie) Sunrise (F.W. Murnau, 1927) 16/4/4/-19
(tie) The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1965) 16/5/5(x2)/-28
(tie) The Searchers (John Ford, 1956) 16/4/6(x2)/-15
(tie) Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975) 16/2/2/+48
(tie) Les Quatre Cents Coups (François Truffaut, 1959) 16/3/3/+19
(tie) Strangers on a Train (Alfred Hitchcock, 1951) 16/2/3(x2)/+95
(tie) Three Colors: Blue (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993) 16/2/1/+167
75. Pierrot le fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965) 15/4/2/-42
(tie) North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959) 15/2/1/+24
(tie) Love Me Tonight (Rouben Mamoulian, 1932) 15/3/2/+26
(tie) Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012) 15/3/3/+8
(tie) In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950) 15/3/1/+29
(tie) McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Robert Altman, 1971) 15/3/2/+49
(tie) Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960) 15/2/1/+58
(tie) Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) 15/2/1/+97
(tie) Beau travail (Claire Denis, 1999) 15/2/2/+108
84. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976) 14/3/1/-50
(tie) Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935) 14/3/4/+12
(tie) Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990) 14/2/1/+2
(tie) L'avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960) 14/3/5(x2)/+5
(tie) Rome, Open City (Roberto Rossellini, 1945) 14/3/4/+60
89. Pickpocket (Robert Bresson, 1959) 13/2/2/+43
(tie) Ladri di biciclette (Vittorio De Sica, 1948) 13/2/1/+98
91. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966) 12/3/5/-32
(tie) Manhattan (Woody Allen, 1979) 12/2/3/-6
(tie) Sátántangó (Béla Tarr, 1994) 12/4/5/+42
(tie) Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau, 1922) 12/2/2/+18
(tie) The Seventh Victim (Mark Robson, 1943) 12/2/2/+149
(tie) Inferno of First Love (Susumu Hani, 1968) 12/2/4/+165
97. Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick, 1978) 11/4/4/-55
(tie) City of Pirates (Raúl Ruiz, 1983) 11/2/5/-2
(tie) Battleship Potemkin (Sergei Eisenstein, 1925) 11/2/3/+75
100. M (Fritz Lang, 1931) 9/3/7(x2)/-50
(tie) Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992) 9/2/5/+40
(tie) Charulata (Satyajit Ray, 1964) 9/2/6/+149
103. The Conversation (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974) 8/2/7(x2)/-37
(tie) The Wages of Fear (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953) 8/3/6/+16
105. City Lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931) 6/2/7/-44
(tie) Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick, 1964) 6/2/7/-1
107. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001) 5/2/8/+36
(tie) Goodbye to Language (Jean-Luc Godard, 2014) 5/2/7/+155

Casualties:

26. Last Year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais, 1961) 309/12(1)/1
32. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) 277/11(1)/5
43. A Man Escaped (Robert Bresson, 1956) 257/10/11
46. Dekalog (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1988) 255/10(1)/3
48. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944) 253/10(1)/10
52. Late Spring (Yasujirō Ozu, 1949) 246/10/15
(tie) Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989) 246/10/12
55. L'Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934) 244/9(1)/7
56. Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur, 1947) 241/10/11
58. Trouble in Paradise (Ernst Lubitsch, 1932) 234/9(1)/10
60. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000) 232/9(1)/2
66. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927) 217/8(1)/4
69. My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988) 215/9(1)/4
70. Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938) 214/9(1)/1
73. Daisies (Věra Chytilová, 1966) 205/8(1)/3
74. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982) 202/6(1)/8
78. The Best Years of Our Lives (William Wyler, 1946) 196/8(1)/6
79. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962) 193/8/15
89. Andrei Rublyov (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966) 176/5(1)/2
(tie) Phantom of the Paradise (Brian De Palma, 1974) 176/6(1)/7
92. Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975) 173/7/11
93. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011) 172/6(1)/1
96. Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939) 170/6(1)/5
(tie) Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955) 170/10(1)/6

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#670 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm

I like that list better. It is now the real list

knives

#671 Post by knives » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I second that motion.

denti alligator

#672 Post by denti alligator » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm

zedz wrote:
feckless boy wrote:
Yes, precisely. I ranked it no. 3. Too bad that and the third vote weren't enough to place it in the top 100.

Of course I have zedz to thank for turning me on to the film!

Ribs

#673 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:22 pm

JohnShade wrote:Ribs, I like your taste. The two of us likely propelled Red to the top 100. Also I feel like you're bolder than me by just letting Park and Grand Budapest go so high, two films I also love. Kane also made my top ten--just old fashioned.

Curious for the W Anderson voters, particularly those who placed Tenenbaums so high, was that your first Wes movie or just the overall favorite?
Jurassic Park has been slowly waning down my top ten list in recent years, and I'm beginning to think that Bridge of Spies may actually be my new favorite Spielberg, which raises a whole heap of internal dilemmas for myself in terms of the internal logic of how this list is organized. But Jurassic Park hits a particular check-box for me that I associate with a piece or something from somewhere I read several years ago about how Die Hard could literally not be improved upon in any capacity whatsoever, and every single shot, edit, and what-have-you is the exact correct one and taking any single one of them out would potentially make it all fall apart. That's obviously a tad hyperbolic, but I have similar strong sentiments about what Spielberg did in Jurassic Park.

Grand Budapest Hotel is Anderson's best movie, and I think a great deal of my affection for it comes with having a particular fondness for these kinds of "life-between-the-wars," "death of the European character" narratives (as my #1 also fits that mold, and I had Letter from an Unknown Woman at #15 or so iirc; The Leopard fits this mold too and I also adore it, but it wasn't on my list). Royal Tenenbaums was resting somewhere shortly behind the top ten as well, but I think it's lessened by the fact that I find the later film better (in the same sense that some may have felt "well, I already have one Hitchcock" and opted to only list Vertigo or something (though I voted for five Powell & Pressburger Films so I don't totally understand that either).

John Shade

#674 Post by John Shade » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:45 pm

I put four Hitchcocks and only two Archers films; sad to see A Matter of Life and Death so low, but I think the film is kind of the English equivalent of It's a Wonderful Life in terms of being played on Christmas frequently, so maybe some hesitated. I only asked about Tenenbaums because my votes for Rushmore and Jurassic Park involve a mix of deep affection and nostalgia. My current favorite Spielberg is Catch Me If You Can, sadly kind of an overlooked gem.

Feel the same way about Budapest as it definitely hits on the Lubitsch and Ophuls sentiments you mentioned; also a great admirer of Letter from an Unknown Woman, my 34 or 35. A film from this era also worth checking out is "The Queen of Spades" starring Anton Walbrook and based on a Pushkin story which is also definitely worth checking out.

Also feeling the need to rewatch some of these films that jumped so highly on the passion version of the list, including Notre Musique and what would be a first viewing for me of The Docks of New York and Walking from Munich...

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#675 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Ribs wrote:Disclaimer: I have terrible taste.
My mother used to say that having "bad" taste was better than no taste, which I took as an excuse to not give a shit about what anyone thought about a lot of things. I don't think I took it the way she intended.

My list below, with the +/- denoting how far off I was from the actual list (+76 denoting that my placement was 76 spots higher, -7 is seven spots lower).

1. The Thin Red Line (Malick) 1998 +76
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick) 1968 +1
3. Apocalypse Now (Coppola) 1979 +20
4. The Godfather Part II (Coppola) 1974 +32
5. The Apartment (Wilder) 1960 -3
6. Psycho (Hitchcock) 1960 +11
7. The Conversation (Coppola) 1974 +59
8. Bicycle Thieves (de Sica) 1948 +179
9. The Wages of Fear (Clouzot) 1953 +110
10. Taxi Driver (Scorsese) 1976 +24
11. Rear Window (Hitchcock) 1954 -7
12. Blue Velvet (Lynch) 1986 +26
13. Chinatown (Polanski) 1974 +6
14. Repulsion (Polanski) 1965 +166
15. A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavetes) 1974 +276
16. High and Low (Kurosawa) 1963 +91
17. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino) 1994 +192
18. Raging Bull (Scorsese) 1980 +131
19. Days of Heaven (Malick) 1978 +13
20. Whiplash (Chazelle) 2014 +269
21. Paths of Glory (Kubrick) 1957 +171
22. Double Indemnity (Wilder) 1944 +26
23. Rosemary's Baby (Polanski) 1968 +224
24. The Shining (Kubrick) 1980 +82
25. Z (Costa-Gavras) 1969 +134
26. Barton Fink (Coens) 1991 +283
27. The Godfather (Coppola) 1974 -2
28. The Royal Tenenbaums (W. Anderson) 2000 +8
29. Vertigo (Hitchcock) 1958 -28
30. Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Kubrick) 1964 +75
31. In the Mood for Love (Wong) 2000 +29
32. Zodiac (Fischer) 2007 +104
33. Alien (Scott) 1979 -1
34. The Tree of Life (Malick) 2011 +59
35. Under the Skin (Glazer) 2014 +345
36. The Third Man (Reed) 1949 -22
37. The Thing (Carpenter) 1982 +293
38. There Will Be Blood (P.T. Anderson) 2007 +262
39. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Dominik) 2007 +365
40. Badlands (Malick) 1973 +270
41. Her (Jonze) 2013 +361
42. No Country for Old Men (Coens) 2007 +242
43. The Lives of Others (von Donnersmarck) 2006 +257
44. City of God (Meirelles) 2002 +343
45. A Man Escaped (Bresson) 1956 -2
46. Goodfellas (Scorsese) 1990 +125
47. Black Swan (Aronofsky) 2007 +360
48. Melancholia (von Trier) 2011 +211
49. Ace in the Hole (Wilder) 1951 +256
50. Persona (Bergman) 1966 -38