2010s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

2010s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 pm

VOTING IS CLOSED. RESULTS CAN BE FOUND HERE.

If you are reading this sentence, you are eligible to participate in our forum's latest decades lists project exploring the films of the first half of the 2010s (2010-2014). If you know anyone adventurous enough--on or off the forum--that you think would also enjoy participating, feel free to invite them as well.

Please PM me your list of what you believe are the top 25 films from this five-year period toward the end of the project. I will send confirmation that I have received your list after I have tabulated it. If you haven't heard from me within a day, you should follow up with me to make sure that I received your list. You may feel that you could compile a list of 25 favorite films from this period much earlier than the deadline, but it's still highly recommended that you engage in the discussions here. Don't keep your favorites a secret, and always be open to suggestions from others!

THE RULES

1) Each individual list is to comprise no more or less than 25 films, ranked in your order of preference (with no ties). If you haven't yet seen 25 films from this five-year period that you think are genuinely great (or even if you have), please take advantage of the resources listed below and participate in the ongoing discussions to find films that you can be proud to put on your list.

2) Any feature film, documentary, experimental film, short film, music video, TV miniseries, TV movie, TV special, or isolated episode from an anthology TV series released in the first half of the 2010s (2010-2014) is eligible.

3) The date given on IMDb is the relevant date for determining a film's year of release, even when it's clearly wrong (unless a special case is made below). If the film is not on IMDb and you say it was released between 2010 and 2014, I'll take your word for it.

4) In certain cases, it may be appropriate for films that are technically separate to be combined, or for films that are technically combined to be separated. In such cases, you may vote for either a part or the whole, but bear in mind that all votes will be competing against each other (e.g. a vote for Ivan the Terrible Pt. 1 will not count toward the vote for Ivan the Terrible in the final tally). Generally, if multiple films are allowed to be combined for voting purposes, you should probably vote for them that way unless you are strongly opposed to doing so. The most common cases:

• Single-director multi-part films for which each segment was released separately (e.g. Feuillade's serials, Lang's two-part epics) may be considered as a single film. Films included in trilogies may not be combined.

• Variant edits: For films that exist in multiple versions (e.g. Welles' Mr. Arkadin, Rivette's Out 1), all votes that don't specify a "secondary" version will be counted toward the "primary" version.

• Portmanteau films: Each of the individual segments and the film as a whole are all separately eligible.

We may occasionally need to make a special case related to rule 3 or 4. If you are seriously considering including a film on your list that you have a question about in this regard, bring it up in this thread and we'll iron it out. However, I will not make any further exceptions during the last week of the project.

For more details about rules and procedures, please refer here.

Finally, though it is not strictly required, it is recommended that you include titles for films that you discuss in this thread in bold, as it will help the film titles stick out amidst all of the other information that will inevitably pile up in this thread. If you particularly like a film, you might even highlight it in another color.

ELIGIBILITY – REMINDERS / SPECIAL CASES

The following are examples of multi-part films/miniseries that are eligible to be voted for as a single film: P'tit Quinquin, It's Such a Beautiful Day, Nymph()maniac, The Trip, Carlos, Mysteries of Lisbon, Mildred Pierce, Top of the Lake, Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

In some of these cases, you may feel strongly that you only want to vote for one part of the whole. You can do this, but again, just remember that all votes will be competing against each other (e.g. for all intents and purposes, Nymph()maniac, Nymph()maniac Vol. I, and Nymph()maniac Vol. II are three separate films).

True Detective and other TV shows that blur the line between series and mini-series with individual seasons are still not eligible unless the entire run of the show constitutes a self-contained mini-series.

The following films may be cited as 2010-2014 releases in some places, but not on IMDb, and so are not eligible for this list: Enter the Void, Extraordinary Stories, Un prophète, Dogtooth, White Material, Wild Grass, Fish Tank, I Am Love, Katalin Varga, Life During Wartime, Melody for a Street Organ, Our Beloved Month of August, Valhalla Rising, The Time That Remains, The White Meadows, Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno, Incident by a Bank, At Sea, Alamar, Amer, About Elly, Cántico das criaturas, Love Exposure, Double Tide, Bluebeard, Trash Humpers

The following films are cited as 2010-2014 films on IMDb, and so are eligible for this list, regardless of what anyone else might say: Shutter Island, Biutiful, In Camera (Palit), Margaret, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Jauja, P'tit Quinquin, It Follows, Phoenix, The Duke of Burgundy, Clouds of Sils Maria, Mommy, Love & Mercy, Hard to Be a God, Timbuktu, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, The Tribe, Horse Money, Kumiko the Treasure Hunter, Maps to the Stars, Tu dors Nicole, What We Do in the Shadows, While We're Young, The Wonders, Whiplash, Inherent Vice, Goodbye to Language, Enemy, Mr. Turner, Force Majeure, Calvary, Foxcatcher, Winter Sleep, Leviathan, A Most Violent Year, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Wild Tales, Life of Riley, La Sapienza, White God, Stations of the Cross, Fish & Cat, Only Dream Things, Elms, Song of the Sea, Amour fou, Cymbeline, Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child, The Keeping Room, EIT! Does the Hip-Hop, Shirley: Visions of Reality, Lost River, The Look of Silence, When Marnie Was There

RESOURCES

Past Forum Discussions
Discussion from the Forum's Genre List Projects
The Alternate Oscars: Best Picture 1969-Present
Dynamic Top Tens of 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014
Dynamic Consensus Lists (Note that several films being classified here as 2015 films are 2014 films per IMDb, and so are eligible for this project.)

Forum Discussions of International DVDs
African / Bulgarian / Chinese / Cuban / Czech / Dutch / Finnish / German / Hungarian / Indian / Italian / Norwegian / Polish / Romanian / South American / Swedish / Turkish / Ukrainian / Yugoslavian

Forum Discussions of Filmmakers Active Between 2010 and 2014
Woody Allen / Pedro Almodóvar / Paul Thomas Anderson / Wes Anderson / Shinji Aoyama / Aleksei Balabanov / Noah Baumbach / Bernardo Bertolucci / Leos Carax / John Carpenter / Chen Kaige / Joel & Ethan Coen / Wes Craven / David Cronenberg / Adam Curtis / Joe Dante / Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne / Alex de la Iglesia / Claire Denis / Brian De Palma / Lena Dunham / Jess Franco / Phillipe Garrel / Terry Gilliam / Jean-Luc Godard / Peter Greenaway / Michael Haneke / Monte Hellman / Don Hertzfeldt / Hong Sang-soo / Otar Iosseliani / Shunji Iwai / Kim Ki-duk / Alexander Kluge / Hirokazu Koreeda / Harmony Korine / Kiyoshi Kurosawa / Spike Lee / David Lynch / Guy Maddin / Terrence Malick / David Mamet / Michael Mann / Takashi Miike / Hayao Miyazaki / Lukas Moodysson / Errol Morris / Kira Muratova / Christopher Nolan / Nicolás Pereda / Roman Polański / Mohammad Rasoulof / Alain Resnais / Raúl Ruiz / Martin Scorsese / Jerzy Skolimowski / Steven Soderbergh / Aleksandr Sokurov / Steven Spielberg / Jan Švankmajer / Quentin Tarantino / Béla Tarr / Bertrand Tavernier / Johnnie To / Jan Troell / Tsai Ming-liang / Shinya Tsukamoto / Gus Van Sant / Agnès Varda / Paul Verhoeven / Andrzej Wajda / Apichatpong Weerasethakul / Wong Kar-wai / Zhang Yimou

Guides Within This Thread
Do you feel you have an especially informed opinion about the work during this five-year period from a particular director, country, genre, etc.? Many people here would greatly appreciate your taking the time to prepare a guide for navigating through all that's available. (Though they do not necessarily need to be comprehensive.) Guides are especially welcome for extremely prolific directors/movements, or to summarize availability for films (such as shorts) that are often hidden away on releases for other films or only available on the web. Past examples: Director Guide, Country Guide, Genre Guide, DVD Availability Guide

AWAITING YOUR GUIDES

External Resources
A list of eligible films appearing on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They's Top 1000, 21st Century, or Doubling the Canon lists, or on our own forum's dynamic consensus lists
(This list is by no means comprehensive, but can serve as a good reminder of some of the more prominent films that are eligible from this five-year period. Conversely, if you love a film that doesn't show up here, that might be a good indicator that it could use an extra push.)
National lists
Cahiers du Cinema's Top 10 lists for 2010-2011 and 2012-2014

AWAITING FURTHER SUGGESTIONS

Recommended Reading

AWAITING SUGGESTIONS

FORUM MEMBER SPOTLIGHTS

Is there a film you love that you fear is under most people's radar? Try shining a light on it! To inaugurate a film into the spotlight section, just follow these three simple steps:

1. Make a post about the film discussing why you find it so exceptional.
2. Clearly indicate that you wish the film to be one of your spotlight titles.
3. Direct others to where the film can be found.

I'll keep track of all the spotlight titles here so that they can be easily referenced. You're welcome to have more than one spotlight title, but try not to have too many more, so it's manageable for everyone to be able to see them all. Remember: This might be the only time someone goes out on a limb to take one of your recommendations, so make it count!

Everyone is strongly encouraged to give each of these films the same chance that you would hope others would give your own spotlight titles.

Starlet (Sean Baker) (domino harvey)
Detention (Joseph Kahn) (domino harvey)
Almayer's Folly (Chantal Akerman) (mizoguchi5354)
Michael (Markus Schleinzer) (mfunk9786)
Beyond the Lights (Gina Prince-Bythewood) (mfunk9786)
Out of the Furnace (Scott Cooper) (DarkImbecile)
Dark Horse (Todd Solondz) (knives)
Pain & Gain (Michael Bay) (knives)
First Cousin, Once Removed (Alan Berliner) (zedz)
Coming Attractions (Peter Tscherkassky) (swo17)
¡Vivan las Antípodas! (Victor Kossakovsky) (swo17)
Teddy Bear (Mads Matthiesen) (Lemmy Caution)
Sudoeste (Eduardo Nunes) (Tommaso)

DESPERATELY SEEKING SO AND SO

Is there a film you're dying to see but you've exhausted all possible avenues for finding it and still come up short? List it here and perhaps some kind soul will be able to direct you to a copy by PM. Please limit listings here to only a few films that you're most desperate to see.

copen is seeking:
Rebecca H. (Return to the Dogs) (Lodge Kerrigan, 2010)

***Please PM me if you have any suggestions for additions to/deletions from this first post.***

YnEoS

Re: 2010-2014 List Discussion and Suggestions

#2 Post by YnEoS » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm

2010 is the year I joined the Criterion Forum, and so also when I started paying attention to what good movies were coming out. So I can finally participate in the decades project again, and hopefully have enough of a head start now to submit a list for each upcoming decade.

I've been quite lazy about seeing films I missed from past years, so this will be a good excuse to play catchup, and I hope we dig up some interesting finds that got passed up by the major festivals/awards.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 pm

My spotlights are the same films I'm highlighting in the concurrent Youth List, Starlet and Detention. I started dedicated threads for each elsewhere on the board. Other must sees that will factor into my top ten: Young Adult, Another Earth, and Beginners (2011 was one hell of a great year for movies)

mizo

#4 Post by mizo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Unless a sudden surge of ambition overtakes me at some point in the next few months, I probably won't end up submitting a list (my efforts will mostly be concentrated elsewhere - see: the John Ford thread pretty soon). However I would like to submit this non-spotlight spotlight (if I'm right in thinking that only people participating can have actual spotlights):

Almayer's Folly (Chantal Akerman, 2011)
(My thoughts are from when this was streaming on Mubi, shortly after her passing. A tad hyperbolic, but what do you want from me? :wink: )
I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved this. Conrad is one of my favorite writers, and although I’ve never read the source novel, I’m inclined to ascribe much of my fascination with the subject matter to his influence. With attitudes toward colonialism and the concept of civilization as endlessly knotty as those found in his books, it’s hard to adapt Conrad and not be interesting, unless you’re really determined to sideline those issues (<cough>Coppola<cough>), and that certainly isn’t the goal of this film. Even with my love for Conrad aside, though, this film just plays like the work of a master completely in command of her material and the ideas within. The fragmentation of many sequences lends it the quality of a fever dream of escalating tragedy and madness and the frequent identification with Malaysian people allows us a distance from the titular character and his downward spiral that manages to be at once comfortably far and close enough to dip into some seriously unsettling regions, culminating in an impossibly tense sequence in which Almayer offers his daughter something like an ultimatum (though he’s so far gone by this point it’s barely coherent). And it’s all topped with a final shot that rivals the last moments of Jeanne Dielmann in the immensity of emotional power derived from intense scrutiny of a single person. I never considered myself a huge fan of “classic” Akerman, so maybe you should take with a grain of salt my assertion that this surpasses even her very best work from the 70’s, and I’m really glad it was the first film of hers I saw following her death. Perhaps the greatest testament to her talent and genius, this feels like an arthouse classic of the golden age (whatever that might have been).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:25 pm

mizoguchi5354 wrote:I would like to submit this non-spotlight spotlight (if I'm right in thinking that only people participating can have actual spotlights)
Uh, I don't know. I guess I can include it and people can factor in your intentions when deciding whether to fit it in. People have proposed spotlights before and then never been heard from again.

mizo

#6 Post by mizo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Well I kinda like the idea of someone watching and enjoying the film, only to be so appalled by my lack of commitment that they strike it from their list in a fit of rage. For whatever that's worth.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:13 am

Well, tell you what, I'll just leave it off my list and not watch it!

mizo

#8 Post by mizo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 am

Truly I have crafted the perfect anti-spotlight. I have chosen a film and then made sure NO ONE will watch it. #-o

Edit: Of course, I could post all the other capsule reviews I wrote around the same time. It's basically just me slagging off whatever crap was streaming for free at the time (Mubi's motto, "Life is too short for bad films," is only an accurate representation of their service in that, by regularly making use of it, you will truly know what it's like to waste the precious hours of your life watching bullshit) and then failing to express why I thought Jauja was great. I mean, I know you're all chomping at the bit, right?

thirtyframesasecond

#9 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:18 am

Thanks for uploading the Google Docs spreadsheet of the TSPDT films; it'll help me jog my memory.

25 films? Wow, no filler.

I'm not spotlighting these films at all, but Adam Wingard's last two films; The Guest and You're Next are fun little horror films (I suspect It Follows will tick that box for me in this poll though).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 pm

I've got a couple of films that probably aren't going to get a lot of play on lists and therefore I think they deserve spotlight attention. And I've already got a tentative list ironed out and ready for tweaks, so I'll be participating in this one (my obsessive list-keeping really started in earnest in around 2007 and that's extremely helpful now). Anyway, spotlights:

Michael (Markus Schleinzer, 2011)
Of a piece with the more recent Room in that it was largely inspired by the Josef Fritzl case, this film is far less interested in the psychological trauma going on then it is with the mechanics of what it is to keep someone trapped in your home, without committing the fallacy of trying to explain why in the world someone would do this in the first place. It's distant, and reminiscent of Michael Haneke's work, so it's not going to be for everyone. But it's respectful of its performers and its subject matter, and there are plot surprises that are breathtaking, and scenes so clinical in their depiction of unseen horrors that it is not uncommon for one's blood to run cold. It's a film that I'm sure not many here have seen though there's a decent amount of discussion in the thread linked above, so I encourage you to seek it out if it may have passed you by.

Beyond the Lights (Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2014)
Now this is one I know not many users here have seen, because it doesn't even have a thread, and it doesn't look at first glance like something worth your time, but it's an incredibly pleasant surprise and Gugu Mbatha-Raw gives a perfect performance that's one of the best of the last 5 years. The film manages to very realistically look at fame in this modern era with startling authenticity - this isn't something like Top Five or Clouds of Sils Maria that makes you wonder if the filmmaker has ever even taken a hard look at the sorts of tabloid spectacle they're clumsily commenting on. Prince-Blythewood doesn't hit a false note in depicting the machine behind a very famous person, and the exploitation and emptiness that comes with it. And it looks spectacular, particularly considering the shoestring budget it was made on. You'd be doing yourself a disservice not to see this, and it's going to be placing very very high on my list.

And at the risk of having too many spotlight titles, just going to use this post to suggest that In a World..., Take Shelter, and Mommy not be ignored when everyone's catching up. Three films that'll make my list that have the feeling of being underseen to me, for what it's worth.
Last edited by mfunk9786 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Michael has a decent shot of making my list. It should be noted that it's out on a Region B Blu-ray in the UK.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 pm

It's not going to place extremely high on mine, but [in the US at least] it seems to have been quickly and roundly forgotten. Which I certainly can't blame anyone for doing, by the way. It's not exactly an easy film. Beyond the Lights is the one I intend to champion, and hopefully not orphan!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:And at the risk of having too many spotlight titles, just going to use this post to suggest that In a World..., Take Shelter, and Mommy not be ignored when everyone's catching up. Three films that'll make my list that have the feeling of being underseen to me, for what it's worth.
One of the nice things about the dynamic consensus thread for this time period is that it gives a good indication of just how popular your favorites already are with many of the same people that will be voting in this project. Mommy and Take Shelter are doing pretty well there, actually. In a World... not so much. I'll say it's a very entertaining film well worth watching, though I'm not going to have room for it on my list.

And Mommy really rubbed me the wrong way, but I guess some people like being rubbed the wrong way.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:59 pm

I like Lake Bell but found In a World... thoroughly mediocre and wish the attention it was paid here had been afforded to Rashida Jones' wonderful Celeste and Jesse Forever instead

I did pick up Beyond the Lights on mfunk's initial recommendation though, so I'll try to fit in in my viewings

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:06 pm

That sounds like a fair unseen film trade - I'll pick up a copy of Celeste and Jesse Forever now and catch up with it soon. Not really sure how I missed it the first time around!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:09 pm

I briefly wrote about it and two other films here, all three of which will likely make my list (though as an update to my comments, Plaza did redeem herself with the To Do List, which won't make my list here but should chart for me in the Youth List)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#17 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:54 pm

swo17 wrote:.... People have proposed spotlights before and then never been heard from again.
Hey, that's me! I proposed a spotlight for the 2000s list and promptly got buried in work and holidays and work again, utterly failing to stay involved or even submit a list (and sadly leaving my spotlight hanging as an also-ran).

Well, this time I already have a list of 25 ready to go that I could stand behind, a planned viewing pile of about 60 films I'm excited to use to add to that list and to the discussion here, and the time to participate over the next few months. Hopefully swo is willing to take the following Spotlight recommendation and then put me on probation if I utterly fail to participate further this time...

Narrowing down to a single spotlight from the ten to fifteen films I'm nearly certain will make my final list, I considered Enemy (Villeneuve) and The Duke of Burgundy (Strickland), but both of those are still ranked on the dynamic consensus lists (though hopefully a few more viewers could shore up their positions there and on this list; they're both available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime!); I've also strongly advocated for Calvary (McDonagh) relatively recently elsewhere, so I settled on 2013's Out of the Furnace (Cooper), which isn't even listed as an honorable mention on the consensus list for that year.

This film is all about mood, atmosphere, and character, relying heavily on a truly excellent cast (Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shepard, Zoe Saldana, Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker, etc.) and the evocative setting of a dying Pennsylvania mill town and the New Jersey backwoods to carry the audience through a fairly heavy narrative of familial strife, life-altering tragedy, underground fighting, and revenge. Bale is predictably solid as the lead, but Affleck and especially Harrelson do truly excellent work; Cooper keeps the narrative inexorably moving toward its conclusion while soaking in the distinct visuals of his setting and setting it all to a very fitting and atmospheric score. All in all, one of the more overlooked and undervalued films of the last five years, and those to whom I've recommended it have a pretty high satisfaction rate once they've caught up to it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#18 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:I like Lake Bell but found In a World... thoroughly mediocre and wish the attention it was paid here had been afforded to Rashida Jones' wonderful Celeste and Jesse Forever instead

I did pick up Beyond the Lights on mfunk's initial recommendation though, so I'll try to fit in in my viewings
For the record, my wife really liked In a World..., Celeste and Jesse, and Beyond the Lights. But she will not be voting.

thirtyframesasecond

#19 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:50 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: And at the risk of having too many spotlight titles, just going to use this post to suggest that In a World..., Take Shelter, and Mommy not be ignored when everyone's catching up. Three films that'll make my list that have the feeling of being underseen to me, for what it's worth.
Heartbeats will be my Dolan choice for this poll :D

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:08 pm

I still have to catch up with other Dolan! :oops:

I'm having a fun time working out the mechanics of such a large list - particularly because it's beginning to take a totally different shape from my year-to-year lists, sometimes with certain films charting much higher or lower than they did in their respective year, but without my feeling the need to move them around on those lists - it's a whole different ball game when the context of a certain year in film is lifted and you're just playing favorites with a big pool of movies.

Found in the process of digging through stuff for this project: Trash Humpers was Karina Longworth's #1 film of 2010 :shock: Swo, not sure how you forgot to mention that film's ineligibility due to an IMDB release year of 2009!

colinr0380

#21 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

If anyone wants a piece of gorgeous looking and sounding sci-fi that harks back to some of the great sci-fi films of the 70s and 80s (and has already seen both of the Joseph Kosinki films he made this decade: Tron: Legacy and Oblivion!), then I'd certainly recommend checking out Beyond The Black Rainbow. We had a brief debate on the film in this thread, but its probably best to read after watching if you are concerned about spoilers.

Suffice to say that I think there are issues with the film, and it does feel like style over content, but what style! And there are certain sections of the film (particularly the lengthy central flashback scene) that have really stuck in my mind over the last few years.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Found in the process of digging through stuff for this project: Trash Humpers was Karina Longworth's #1 film of 2010 :shock: Swo, not sure how you forgot to mention that film's ineligibility due to an IMDB release year of 2009!
Now noted. And the forum breathes a collective sigh of relief at one of 25 precious spots suddenly having been freed up for all of us.

knives

#23 Post by knives » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:58 pm

You joke, but Spring Breakers will probably be making my list.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:01 pm

29 films on my need-to-see/spotlight list and counting - you've created a monster. Let's hope my schedule allows me to follow through with this, but I'll definitely be submitting a list regardless of how many of these I can see in the interim.

And Spring Breakers will probably be making my list too, knives. Regardless, I'm relieved I didn't need to satisfy my morbid curiosity and see Trash Humpers for this.

By the way, I really recommend using Letterboxd if anyone's putting together a list of films to see - it's got a nice Can I Stream It?-esque system built in that allows you to look at the streaming/disc availability of any film right from its listing, and as far as I can tell it uses IMDB's years, too.

knives

#25 Post by knives » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Also jeez, just finished my prelim list and I really hope that I don't see any more as it was basically impossible to take off that 26th film. As for spotlights I figure I'll stick to Solondz's Dark Horse and Pain and Gain. I probably don't need much to do to defend a Solondz film critically at least, but it's such a shockingly underseen gem that manages to take his ability to turn anything into disquiet horror you can only laugh at up to its greatest level. Most shocking though is that he does this in what is probably his most audience friendly story. There's no rape of any sort if you can believe that. In that way it is a bit the opposite of Life During Wartime which had all of the story telling ticks, but in a more family friendly delivery.

I probably do need to get out stronger defense guns out for Bay's film, which I've talked about a little before, since even I'm still a bit embarrassed for recommending it considering Bay being Bay. In short this is Bay doing a critical critical appraisal of his beloved America and conservatism which is a breath of fresh air just for being a conservative approach on that which hasn't really happened in film since Paul Morrissey who the film shares a lot with (Milius is another surprising if probably more intentional influence on the film).