2000s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol. 3)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Tommaso

Re: 2000s List Discussion and Suggestions (Lists Project Vol

#251 Post by Tommaso » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:23 pm

I will. But I just wanted to promote "Promised Land" again. ;)

Lowry_Sam

#252 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 am

I don't think I've ever had so few of my choices make it in the top 100:

58 The Lives of Others
152 A Time for Drunken Horses
54 Lilja 4-ever
2 In the Mood for Love
## The Vertical Ray of the Sun
10 Spirited Away
## The Power of Nightmares
## War Photographer
## Hukkle
100 Irréversible
## Krapp's Last Tape
## Monster
46 Summer Hours
175 Brokeback Mountain
67 Pan's Labyrinth
69 The Piano Teacher
## Burnt Money
## A Love to Hide
## Destino
141 Amores perros
## The Navigators
## Maelstrom
## Presque rien
145 Read My Lips
231 Father and Son
86 You Can Count on Me
## The Ignorant Fairies
14 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
66 The Man Who Wasn't There
## 8 Women
## Since Otar Left
## Harvie Krumpet
17 The White Ribbon
250 The Barbarian Invasions
20 City of God
253 The Weather Underground
208 The Century of the Self
## Water Drops on Burning Rocks
238 Paradise Now
33 What Time Is It There?
141 The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
114 The Secret of the Grain
## Son of the Bride
235 Good Bye, Lenin!
## Our Own
## The Story of the Weeping Camel
231 Downfall
## The Cuckoo
## Sweet Sixteen
260 Dark Days

Lemmy Caution

#253 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:38 am

Well, I actually did quite a bit of campaigning for a few of my favorite documentaries (Born Into Brothels, Facing Ali, talhotblond) so I tried to find adoptive parents for them. At least Capturing the Friedmans made the cut. I just realized that somehow In the Realms of the Unreal didn't materialize on my list. A complete oversight as I thought that was an excellent look at the hidden art of Henry Darger. A great doc on outsider art.

I thought The Paper Will Be Blue was a terrific examination of the fog of war (fog of coup?), and the second best Romanian film this millennia.

Shadow Kill (aka Nizhalkkuthu, 2002) is a terrific south Indian film about a hangman confronted with his conscience. The story raises issues of morality, guilt in various forms, ritual and family. A brilliant film. I was glad that 2nd Run has released a couple of Gopalakrishnan films -- Rat Trap and Man of the Story. Shadow Kill remains my favorite.

I had merely 4 Guy Maddin films on my list, and consider him the director with the best output for the decade.
Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary might be the most remarkable, but the mockumentary My Winnipeg (with Anne Savage as Maddin's mother and dead dad rolled up in the living room carpet) might be the best filmic ode to one's hometown. Brand on the Brain is a feverish serial melodrama. Though Saddest Music in the World is my fave.

I only put one Wallace & Gromit film on my list but could have had the short A Matter of Loaf and Death as well. I noticed someone went with Chicken Run, which I would have thought was late '90's but indeed was Summer of 2000.

Three Monkeys (Üç Maymun) is the only Ceylan film I really connected with. A taut drama.

I would have expected some backing for Sita Sings the Blues. Maybe I'm just a sucker for any recognition or use of Annette Hanshaw's music, but thought this was a fun creative approach (old jazz plus classic Indian mythology) to dealing with a breakup.

Satori

#254 Post by Satori » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Here’s my list with Orphans and Also Rans bolded. Thanks to swo for sending me a breakdown of how my list did and for all the work tallying the final list.

I didn’t get to do much watching for the project, so my list felt a bit more standard this time around (or maybe I’m just more in tune with the standard art film favorites for the decade?)

Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)
Syndromes and a Century (Weerasethakul)
Old Joy (Reichardt) ALSO RAN
Children of Men (Cuaron)
Lost in Translation (Coppola)
Yi-Yi (Yang)
Moolade (Sembene)
Encounters at the End of the World (Herzog) ALSO RAN
Far From Heaven (Haynes)
Inland Empire (Lynch)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki)
Tropical Malady (Weerasethakul)
Pulse (Kurosawa)
Wendy and Lucy (Reichardt)
Mulholland Drive (Lynch)
Police, Adjective (Porumboiu)
What Time Is It There? (Tsai)
Paprika (Kon) ALSO RAN
White Meadows (Rasoulof) ALSO RAN
The Circle (Panahi) ALSO RAN

The Wind that Shakes the Barley (Loach) ORPHAN-- I’m a bit surprised about this one. Maybe the brother against brother stuff was a bit melodramatic for most? But I loved the way it staged debates about political ideas: the various intellectual struggles within a revolutionary movement, reform vs revolution, keeping the support of the people, etc.

White Ribbon (Haneke)
Linda Linda Linda (Yamashita) ALSO RAN
Still Life (Jia) ASLO RAN

At Five in the Afternoon (Makhmalbaf) ORPHAN- - I’m not too surprised this and Day I Became a Woman were orphaned considering how Iranian directors fared as whole, with the much better-known Panahi films not even making the final 100. These are two great films from the Makhmalbaf dynasty about the struggles of women in Afghanistan and Iran, respectively.

The Gleaners and I (Varda)
L’Enfant (Dardenes) ALSO RAN
Crimson Gold (Panahi) ALSO RAN

Mississippi Damned (Mabry) ORPHAN- I know I should have written this up but I saw it very late in the project and never got around to it. Completely devastating portrait of abuse, poverty, and geographic insularity.

I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai) ORPHAN- - I went with this over Goodbye Dragon Inn as my second Tsai (happily my favorite of the decade, What Time is it There?, made the list). I like the vaguely apocalyptic atmosphere and its representation of complicated sexual relationships.

Code Unknown (Haneke)
The Day I Became A Woman (Meshkini) ORPHAN
Cache (Haneke)
Russian Ark (Sokurov)
Mysterious Skin (Araki)

Water Lilies (Sciamma) ORPHAN- Such a brilliant portrait of the complicated emotions of growing up. The ending is such a perfect mix of beautiful and devastating. I like her 2012 film Tomboy even better, so I’ll have to make sure I do write ups of that for the 2010s project.

Headless Woman (Martel)
White Material (Denis)
35 Shots of Rum (Denis)

Vison of Hildegard Von Bingen (Von Trotta) ORPHAN- I think Von Trotta makes great historical-biographical films, a genre I usually detest. This one was all the more remarkable since, unlike the Luxemburg or Arendt ones, I had no real connection with the subject matter or knowledge of the historical moment. But her portrait of Hildegard as a complex figure struggling for intellectual/social freedom under difficult social conditions worked for me.

Still Walking (Koreeda)

Distant (Ceylan) ORPHAN- I expect he’ll do better in the 2010s project, but this is one of my favorites of his films.

The World (Jia)
Please Take Care of my Cat (Jeong) ALSO-RAN
Lourdes (Hausner) ALSO-RAN
Va Savoir (Rivette) ALSO-RAN
Songs From the Second Floor (Andersson)

Unrelated (Hogg) ORPHAN- Like Ceylan, combines formal austerity with fascinating character studies. I’ll have to write up an appreciation of Hogg’s two 2010 films for that project, as I think they are both absolute masterpieces.

Zodiac (Fincher)

Tomorrow We Move (Akerman) ORPHAN- - I included this in part as my tribute to the late, great Akerman (Captive has never really done it for me). It's Akerman’s funniest film, though, and a complete joy to watch.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#255 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:53 am

Here's my list. Since this was my first time going through this list project, and I didn't really get "into" movies until around 2011, I had a lot of catch up to do. The fact that I only had 4 orphans just goes to show that there's a ton of stuff out there left for me to watch, though I have to say I'm quite happy with my participation in this project; 30 of my top 50 were films I watched for the first time here, and another 5 or so are films I didn't care for the first time around but really enjoyed upon rewatch.

(On a sidenote, is Manderlay [Ranked 191] really seen as being that much worse than Dogville [Ranked 5], or is this just symptomatic of the two films being to similar to both fit on the list?)

1 Dancer in the Dark
2 Russian Ark
3 Summer Hours
4 Talk To Her
5 Manderlay
6 Three Times
7 Mulholland Drive
8 Head-On
9 Lost in Translation
10 Millenium Mambo
11 Y Tu Mama Tambien
12 The Secret of the Grain
13 In the Mood for Love
14 Werckmeister Harmonies
15 Bad Education
16 White Material
17 The New World
18 What Time is it There?
19 Hidden
20 Let the Right One In
21 The Royal Tenenbaums
22 Secret Sunshine
23 Tokyo Godfathers (This spot probably should have gone to Spirited Away, but I somehow forgot to factor in Miyazaki when making my list. Either way, I enjoyed the handful of Kon films that I watched for this project, so I'm happy to have him represented here.)
24 Dogville
25 Traffic
26 There Will Be Blood
27 Inland Empire
28 FLCL (I probably should have made more of a case for this one, but it remains probably the best expression of male adolescence that I've seen on screen. Even at it's craziest [and it gets pretty out there] there's always some small nugget of real experience buried in there.)
29 Wendy and Lucy
30 Adaptation
31 No Country for Old Men
32 A History of Violence
33 Far From Heaven
34 Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
35 Yi Yi
36 A.I: Artificial Intelligence
37 Ten
38 Still Walking
39 The White Ribbon
40 The Wayward Cloud
41 Che
42 Antichrist
43 Oasis
44 2046
45 City of God
46 Down in the Valley
47 House of Flying Daggers
48 Blue Gate Crossing (I spoke about this one during the project itself)
49 Shortbus (I spoke about this one during the project itself)
50 The Informant!

zedz

#256 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Satori wrote:Distant (Ceylan) ORPHAN- I expect he’ll do better in the 2010s project, but this is one of my favorites of his films.
This was my top Ceylan pick (unfortunately outside my top 50) and I would have assumed it was the consensus choice. Did none of his films make the final list?
Unrelated (Hogg) ORPHAN- Like Ceylan, combines formal austerity with fascinating character studies. I’ll have to write up an appreciation of Hogg’s two 2010 films for that project, as I think they are both absolute masterpieces.
I considered this, but I think her two following features are even stronger, and they'll definitely be in contention for my list for the next project. Exhibition is a lock.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#257 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Distant and Three Monkeys got two orphan votes, and that was all for Ceylan. I almost voted for the former but kicked it off at the last minute to make room for something else.

thirtyframesasecond

#258 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:53 pm

I certainly voted for Climates last time, just fell off my radar this time round.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#259 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Also, quick apology to Lemmy Caution: I had intended to include Blind Shaft on my list, but since it was a late purchase I forgot to add it to my considerations. It would have ranked midway down; probably not enough to take it off the Also Ran list, but at least it would have been closer to the top. Either way, thanks for the recommendation!

colinr0380

#260 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:35 pm

With thanks to swo for making picking out the orphans easy, these were mine:

1. The Atrocity Exhibition - still the best J.G. Ballard adaptation to date, this mashes up fiction and repurposed stock footage (Vietnam, footage of survivors from the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, plastic surgery operations, Marilyn Monroe, crash test footage, the Challenger exploding, etc) to create an almost non-narrative meditation on the five themes of the novel. But while the characters reset themselves into new relationships at the beginning of each section, trapped into playing out a new psychodrama based around say "the car crash as a fertilising event", "World War III as a conceptual act", "the diagram of her face as a blueprint for murder" or "virtual death/death in space" that leads to a certain inevitable end, the ideas and imagery run truly free in the film. Eventually themes, images and ideas from one section feel as if they are complimenting or commenting on each other (the loneliness of celebrity turns into the astronaut floating outside his spacestation, only tethered by a single cord to his capsule. The idea of a cold, technological death of the car crash turns into a literal departure into the blackness of the void), resonating in fascinating ways. I don't think this kind of film will be everyone's idea of a good time, but it works extremely well in making some of the most familiar images strange again.
13. Timecode - this is really my attempt to shoehorn four films into one slot! But I found the film itself to be a very fun experiment, taking a number of well worn Hollywood and showbusiness tropes and ending up with more than the sum of its parts through the back and forth interactions between the screens and the impressive sound mixing to highlight or fade certain windows to draw the audience's attention between them.
14. The Corporation - the one 'activist' documentary of the decade that still stands up, and certainly the only one featuring Michael Moore that does!
16. Faithless - the best ghost story of the decade? Certainly the best one about the process of writing!
22. Chopper - "I'm a best selling author and I'm bloody illiterate!"
23. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - this sequel is really getting into the ideas of individuality versus mass production. With Batou taking over as protagonist from Kusanagi, the film swaps from female to male-centre. Also ideas of love versus prostitution. Feelings versus duty. Perhaps not quite as jawdropping or as coherent in expressing its ideas as the original, but still a unique experience.
24. Anatomy of Hell - the best ghost story of the decade? Or at least the one with the most rakish hero!
33. They Came Back - I was a little concerned about adding this, as now that it has been remade numerous times in The Returned I wondered if it had lost some of its power. But on re-watching this is still extremely good - a modern day, beaureaucratic J'accuse!
34. Time of the Wolf - a weekend in the country gone horribly wrong!
36. A Snake of June - a failing marriage movie that shows how worries about masculinity and enforced sexual liberation somehow saves a marriage!
43. Twentynine Palms - a failing relationship movie that shows how SUVs and insecurities about masculinity corrupt everything!
45. Tony Takitani - a failing marriage movie that maxes out its credit cards before busting the relationship apart!
46. Avalon - another alternate world to unlock
49. Pandorum - this is really a wildcard thrown in just because I'm in a sci-fi mood at the moment. Its quite Event Horizon-y (Paul W.S. Anderson and the production company behind the Resident Evil franchinse is also behind this), but surprisingly complex and twisty as well as satisfying as a piece of sci-fi action. It also features one of Dennis Quaid's best recent performances. If you can cope with the film being extremely dark (in the sense of literally being pitch black in the claustrophobic early scenes, to such an extent that it apparently worried the producers! But I guess its thematically dark too!) then it builds up a lot of power
SpoilerShow
and has a final scene that is very similar to the final scene of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Except for, you know, the main couple hating each other with a firey passion of course!

50. The Aura - a 'perfect crime spiralling out of control' film
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lemmy Caution

Blind Shaft

#261 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 am

jindianajonz wrote:Also, quick apology to Lemmy Caution: I had intended to include Blind Shaft on my list ... Either way, thanks for the recommendation!
Glad you hunted it down and enjoyed it.
It's a bleak look at the hardscrabble lives of itinerant coal miners in China.
But the film also has a strong dramatic core and really sucks you in. Very well done.

Blind Shaft was #25 on my list and got one other vote. So with your approbation, three of us had it in the Top 50 of the decade. I hope more give it a viewing.

As I mentioned before, Blind Shaft was successful enough to spawn a follow-up social issue film, Blind Mountain, in which a young woman is kidnapped and sold as a wife in a remote country village far from her hometown. This actually still occurs in China (the one-child gender imbalance is said to be part of the cause -- while the mistreatment of women at various levels is at the root). It's a solid film and has stayed with me, but Blind Shaft was really powerful.

Lemmy Caution

#262 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 am

I didn't realize how much Mulholland and In the Mood dominated.
They were way out in front, and then from 3 on down it's more like Cruz, Trump, Rubio in Iowa, all bunched together.

I've seen all of the Top 50. Well, sort of. Assayas' Demonlover tied for 50th place.
And I've never seen Lilya 4-ever. I don't think the dvd of either of those ever turned up here, which is pretty much my only access in China.
Others I haven't seen:
62. Two Lovers -- completely unknown to me
74. Let the Right One In -- I do have the dvd -- just not much of a horror genre fan
83. Pulse -- vaguely heard of this film -- not really a genre I like
86. You Can Count on Me -- have wanted to see this ever since I watched Margaret, which will make my 2010 list
87. Love Torn in a Dream -- I really need to get my eyes on some more Raúl Ruiz
100. The Headless Woman -- have barely heard of this before
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#263 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:19 am

Two Lovers is Joaquin Phoenix giving the best Montgomery Clift performance ever. It's also one of the great New York City films

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#264 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:50 pm

It's too bad that Tony Takitani is the only Jun Ichikawa movie that got Western distribution. While it is certainly pretty good, is nowhere near the top of my list of favorite JI films.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#265 Post by Shrew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:38 pm

I was the other Blind Shaft vote. I'd say its a far better, or at least digestible, film than Blind Mountain, mainly thanks to the richer black comedy in the former. Of course, murder is easier to make funny than rape/kidnapping is, so it's probably for the best the film didn't go too far down that route. But without it, it's just too much misery.

I threw three Jia Zhangke films in my top 10 and was working on a Jia Zhangke guide but didn't finish because of life. If only I'd posted it a week before the due date I'm sure Platform and Still Life would have made the top 10! Glad to see The World make it on, but surprised that Still Life overcame Platform. I blame the fuzzy old DVD transfer. Apologies to the person who voted for Unknown Pleasures, but there were far more than 50 films I love this decade, and a 4th Jia film was easier to cut. I may post the Jia guide in a few days anyway, just to get it out of my system, and in preparation for the next round!

And poor Shaolin Soccer was orphaned, but maybe it'll grow up to be a Kung Fu master. Not too surprised to see Stew/Spike Lee's Passing Strange get orphaned, as it's basically a performance film. Still, it's a great show, and Lee's technique makes it more a concert film than a filmed play.

Lemmy Caution

The Cuckoo

#266 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:I don't think I've ever had so few of my choices make it in the top 100:
## The Cuckoo
Caught up to The Cuckoo (Aleksandr Rogozhkin, 2002) which made the bottom (#48) of Sam Lowry's list. I've had the dvd sitting here for about a decade, but based on the cover had no idea what to expect.

It's quite an accomplished film. In the waning days of WWII, a Russian and a Finnish soldier separately wind up at the farm of a Lapp woman, who is earthy and practical and glad to see a man. Her husband was drafted into the war 4 years before, fate unknown. I liked the buildup, where both soldiers are prisoners but manage to escape in rather different but excruciating circumstances. One odd facet of the film is how the three central characters all speak different languages and don't understand each other*. So they are often at cross-purposes and working under misunderstandings, most seriously the Russian soldier believing the Finn is a German soldier. The rustic setting is rather beautiful and the farm's layout is rather ingenious -- there's a treehouse barn, a fish labyrinth/kraal. The film manages to combine drama, humor and romance quite well. I also liked the pace, as the film didn't rush anything, but also didn't drag.

Judging by the poster at wiki and the dvd cover, they had some trouble figuring out how to promote the film. I think i would have chosen a frame with the farm, and water and rocks. Either one of Anni along the rocks or one with the Russian soldier wearing her skirt by the lake. Anyway, a good film which probably isn't that well known.

* A few times during the film I had to remind myself that while I was reading in English every word spoken, the characters were all talking different languages and not understanding each other. So I thought it might be interesting to have a scene mid-film where for a few minutes the subtitles stop while the characters converse away in their mutually unintelligible languages.

TMDaines

#267 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 am

Final list in handy IMDb form: Criterionforum.org's List Project: 2000s v3.0

Lemmy Caution

#268 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Under the Moonlight (2001) is an interesting Iranian film.
A seminary student is supposed to graduate and become a vested cleric. He's somewhat going through the motions as this is a family tradition and what his father wants. When the fabric for his robe and turban are stolen by a street urchin, his quest to recover them leads him to discover the homeless, and his outlook changes. Our hero becomes less (formally) religious but more spiritual. It's interesting to see the both the madrassah and the poor folks in Iran, and the contrast between them. Definitely a glimpse at aspects of Iranian society you usually don't see.

Lemmy Caution

Blood Tea and Red String

#269 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Blood Tea and Red String (2006) is a feature length stop-motion animation film.
I remember enjoying it on first viewing, and when I unearthed the dvd the other day, I thought it could have made the lower reaches of my list. But I was a little disappointed while re-watching it.

The puppets/characters look terrific. But the movements are often jerky and the actions frequently too rapid.
It was made over a 13 year period and Christiane Cegavske, who did nearly everything but the music and sound effects, was learning as she went along during that time.

There is a good weird fairy tale vibe about the whole thing. But I had trouble getting involved with it.
The main storyline with the aristocratic mice and the rustic beaked wolves fighting over possession of a doll is easy enough to follow. But the ancillary characters are peculiar and their roles obscure.
I'm not sure what I would have altered among the characterizations and story, but I wasn't engaged enough.

Lemmy Caution

Chico (- Rita and Marx)

#270 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Digging through my extensive kevyip, I'm catching up on a lot of (previously unknown to me) films.

From a quick search I didn't turn up any mentions of Chico (Ibolya Fekete, Hungary, 2001)
There were a bunch of posts on Chico & Rita, a few mentioning Chico Marx, and one guy proselytized for Chico Ejiro so much that finally others assumed he was Chico Ejiro.

Chico, is an interesting whirlwind of a film.
Based on the life of Eduardo Rózsa-Flores, who was a Jewish-Bolivian-Hungarian (and later Croatian) communist revolutionary, journalist, soldier, secret agent -- and later actor as he stars in this film about his life. Got all that?

Basically he grows up in a communist household in Bolivia (his mother is Hungarian), they flee the dictatorship and wind up in Allende's Chile which goes nightmare when Pinochet bombs the presidential palace and kills President Allende. Then they flee to communist Hungary, and after a few stops in Albania and Israel, finally Chico (his nom de guerre) works as a journalist in Croatia during the breakup of Yugoslavia but then voluntarily enlists and becomes a soldier fighting for Croatian independence and is rewarded with Croatian citizenship. And since he's working for a Spanish newspaper and speaks Spanish, most Croatians think he's Spanish for quite a while.

Chico tries to find a just cause, a role for himself, a cause to back, justice -- but all he finds is chaos and war and uncertainty. It's a film about ideals and identity, political revolutions and war. The film is quite gritty and realistic, even interspersing actual documentary footage of war and destruction. And starring the actual protagonist who went through all this craziness. Interestingly, this was directed by a Hungarian woman. Quite a nice surprise. This might have made my list if I'd seen it in time. It's definitely interesting and probably worth a second viewing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#271 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:54 pm

When is swo17 going to post his list already?
I know, I know, I know. I've been busy. Here it is finally, featuring the orphans:

American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)
Bluebeard (Catherine Breillat, 2009)
Colossal Youth (Pedro Costa, 2006)
Daughter from Đà Nẵng (Gail Dolgin & Vicente Franco, 2002)
14e Arrondissement (Alexander Payne, 2006)
Gravity (Nicolas Provost, 2006)
Mirror Mechanics (Siegfried Fruhauf, 2005)
Le Monde vivant (Eugène Green, 2003)
The Red and the Blue Gods (Ben Russell, 2005)
Sheena Is a Parasite (Chris Cunningham, 2006)
Spanky: To the Pier and Back (Guy Maddin, 2008)
True to Life (Gunvor Nelson, 2006)

And many, many other films that most people don't care about.

movielocke

#272 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:49 pm

NYT just named Million Dollar Baby their number three film of the century.

At least we weren't that stupid.

has anyone other than them expressed like for that film since it terribly won so many awards? this is the first I'm hearing of anyone liking it in retrospect as well!

Million Dollar List Fail

knives

#273 Post by knives » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:56 pm

I still like it and I remember our page of it on the board being and remaining quite enthusiastic.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#274 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Great film, though it wouldn't make my Top 100. Please refrain from treating that list like it matters, though!

movielocke

#275 Post by movielocke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:34 am

I kind of like the quirkiness and breadth of the list, but that one really struck me