Defend Your Darlings, You Sad Pandas! (Lists Project v 3.0)

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Cold Bishop

Re: Defend Your Darlings, You Sad Pandas! (Lists Project v 3

#151 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:01 Whirlpool
Ha! You, me, zedz, Murdoch and the poor sap who voted for Tragic Hunt need to start a club.

And if the rest of you mugs want to start making amends, TCM is airing They Made Me a Fugitive next Thursday.

tarpilot

#152 Post by tarpilot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:44. The Bank Dick (Edward Cline, 1940)- Maybe this would have done better if it came out a year earlier? It feels more of a piece with 30s humor, and maybe pales a bit in comparison to the more ambitious Sturges and Ealing comedies. But on the other hand, it's funny as hell.
Ah! I just realized I forgot Never Give a Sucker an Even Break! That should have been top 20...

Cold Bishop

#153 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

I thought both of those were 30 films! And here I was complaining that Hellzapoppin' was the last true progenitor of 30s madcap...

Gropius

#154 Post by Gropius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Top 10 (predictably Archers-heavy, but it included three shorts):

1. A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger, 1944)
2. Le Sang des bêtes (Georges Franju, 1949)
3. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1947) - Favourite Hollywood discovery of the decade: haunting in every sense, melancholic, and very far from a conventional 'romance'.
4. Listen to Britain (Humphrey Jennings/Stewart McAllister, 1942) - Surprised this charted considerably lower than the much less formally radical Fires Were Started. Anti-short bias?
5. The Shanghai Gesture (Josef von Sternberg, 1941)
6. Black Narcissus (Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger, 1947)
7. Ritual in Transfigured Time (Maya Deren, 1946)
8. The Red Shoes (Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger, 1948)
9. Les Visiteurs du soir (Marcel Carné, 1942)
10. La Belle et la Bête (Jean Cocteau, 1946)

Also-rans/orphans:

14. Leave Her to Heaven (John M. Stahl, 1945)
19. Kashchei the Immortal (Aleksandr Rou, 1944) - Visually astonishing, gloriously unsubtle fairy tale. Has left me excited to investigate this popular Eastern Bloc genre through subsequent decades (apparently one of Rou's 60s films became a Christmas institution on Czech TV).
24. Pacific 231 (Jean Mitry, 1949) - An exemplary formalist short from a decade in which non-narrative experiments largely dried up.
25. A Letter to Three Wives (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1949) - Still don't understand why Mankiewicz isn't more celebrated. Toyed with including Dragonwyck as well, but Tierney is a bit too conventionally innocent in that one.
26. Voyage surprise (Pierre Prévert, 1947) - I didn't flag this up, as no English-subbed version seems to be available, but it's a charmingly absurd 'magical mystery tour' comedy from the frères Prévert.
27. Puce Moment (Kenneth Anger, 1949) - defended in main thread
41. Münchhausen (Josef von Báky, 1943) - An escapist extravaganza, carried by Hans Albers's charm.
42. Native Land (Leo Hurwitz/Paul Strand, 1942) - Surely the best American documentary of the decade. I'd have ranked it higher if it weren't for the slightly cloying strain of sentimental nationalism undermining its often brutal narrative; the acting in the dramatised sequences is far superior to anything the British documentarists produced, and Robeson's voice is an attraction in itself.
47. Cobra Woman (Robert Siodmak, 1944) - Judged by its acting or plot, this may be a bad film, but it revels in the blatantly fake gaudiness of its exotic spectacle in an almost avant-garde way.
48. The Eye and the Ear (Stefan Themerson/Franciszka Themerson, 1945) - A quasi-scientific visual music experiment.
49. La Nuit fantastique (Marcel L’Herbier, 1942) - A whimsical dream fantasy: a bit creaky in places, but well worth a look.
50. The Way You Wanted Me (Teuvo Tulio, 1944) - Bracingly hysterical melodrama.

colinr0380

#155 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:19. Hangmen Also Die (Fritz Lang, 1943)- I'm hoping this one's because everyone wants a better print than the Kino. It's hard-edged, nasty stuff even with the original ending cut out, and it's a view on the ethics of resistance that I haven't seen elsewhere.
I actually watched this a couple of weeks ago hoping to add it to my list but had problems with the first half hour or so of the film, which felt rather clunky in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on (Is it the strange mincing, prancing performance of the German General adding to the comedy of the opening scene? The rather fake-looking sets? The American accents, especially the Brooklyn cabbie and the annoying young boy of the family?) Is this Brechtian alienation, or just clunky set up?

However despite taking a while to get going once Miss Novotny goes to the Gestapo and the wheels of justice start turning the film immediately shifts into magnificence as matrix states. I especially liked the way that the Gestapo investigator here trying to solve the case is kind of sympathetic, with a few tics that made me think of the role as similar to the Inspector from M, just with the fascinating inversion that the people he is trying to catch are the Resistance heroes rather than a serial child murderer! While we obviously are given heroes to root for I found that final section of everyone in the town banding together to frame Czaka both ironic (in the sense that even Czaka's butler betrays him!) and perhaps the most frightening example of groupthink in the entire film! What is that phrase about the danger of becoming similar to your enemy in the process of fighting them?

A really excellent film, with an extremely powerful pull-no-punches ending in the German DVD version. I just wish that the first thirty minutes or so of problematic set up and exposition could have been shortened somehow. But maybe this will figure into my 1940s list the next time around!

matrixschmatrix

#156 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd agree it takes a while to get to what it's really going for, but I think the first half hour or so is more or less setting the table, giving you a feeling of more-or-less middle class normality even while the Occupation and assassinations are going on- formally it feels much less striking than the rest of the movie, and I think that might be deliberate, as it is with Went the Day Well?.

I wonder if the criticism of group action that you saw was something Lang laid over Brecht's script- Land habitually distrusted any form of organization whatsoever, so I'd believe that he couldn't bring himself to depict something like the Resistance's framing of Czaka without both making Czaka a bit sympathetic (or at least, squirmily human) and making the people acting to destroy him frightening, if also righteous. The movie as a whole feels much more like Lang's work than Brecht's, to me, though it's certainly unafraid to be didactic.

colinr0380

#157 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Absolutely, we are never in doubt who the good guys are, yet the good guys end up having to morally sully themselves - dropping themselves to the level of Gestapo investigator and his notions of Miss Novotny and the doctor having the affair together behind her fiancee's back. And that final sequence with Czaka laughing hysterically in the car as he is to be taken away and charged with a staged murder is quite upsetting even if he is obviously the bad guy (I wonder if the gunning down on the steps of the church is a call back to something like The Public Enemy or The Roaring Twenties?)

matrixschmatrix

#158 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 pm

It's funny, because that imagery is somewhat in conflict with the other thing I really took away from that movie, the idea of an absolute solidarity amongst occupied people that could overwhelm even Nazi intimidation tactics- which is obviously the more Brechtian part of the movie. It's honest about what such solidarity could actually cost, but bold enough to insist that we accept that resistance is nonetheless the right thing to do- and the existential bleakness of that dilemma is honest to God shocking for a Hollywood movie.

colinr0380

#159 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Her acceptance of her father being lost and of her own loss of the isolationist/naive stance (or having it infected by the actions of the Doctor in staying with the family) through coming to terms with that loss is the first step to both her and her family opening up to the wider resistance movement . With that existential bleakness you describe only being underlined by the essential futility, and stoic aknowledgement, of Novotny's attempts to save her father in slightly extended ending - on the individual level her family is torn apart while simultaneously that period of her life has likely only solidified her support of the organisation as kind of a compensation or consolation for that personal loss.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#160 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm

I did a panda list -- that seems to have gotten eaten before arrival on the forum. Maybe I will re-do this -- and maybe not. ;~{

knives

#161 Post by knives » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Top Ten
1 The Small Back Room
2 Ivan the Terrible
3 The Red Shoes
4 A Hen in the Wind (Ozu)
5 The Shanghai Gesture
6 Whirlpool
7 Roxie Hart (Wellman)
8 Fantasia
9 The Murderers Are Among Us
10 Force of Evil

Also-rans/ Orphans
Whirlpool: Really? For me this is where Preminger steps away from being a great Hollywood director to simple one of the greatest of all time with such a force just in the technique let alone great script and performances as to completely blow my mind.

Roxie Hart: I get the feeling that my tastes and the board's just don't match strongly. I already spoke on it about as well as I could in the main thread.

Horton Hatches the Egg: Ouch, I thought I had cheerleaded for this one pretty hard, but I guess it's going to be a tough fight for any short film. Clampett proves he's not just a dadaist and the world shrugs it seems. Now for a reenactment of the Lorre fish.

Our Town: I'm assuming Dom is one of the other ones to vote for this majestic mess that criticizes and endorses just about every contradictory aspect of itself with one of the greatest climaxes of the decade.

Bedlam: An other one that hurts. For me the very best Lewton with one of the most chilling sections of any film.

This Land is Mine: I'm shocked at the general no show for Renoir in general, but not even the best Nazi movie couldn't make the list? This is just the best of everyone involved particularly Laughton in his most fragile performance.

Macbeth: I think it would be shorter if I listed what made the cut. Welles' Shakespeares are the best in my humble opinion and this rotting relative of Ivan the Terrible truly comes off as revolutionary.

A Royal Scandal: Preminger as comedian is fairly underrated, but I thought I saw more positive attention to this one. It's almost as fun to watch as a who did what exercise as it is simply to marvel at the excellence, but that doesn't make it any less well crafted. It also works as a great parody of Curtiz's Essex film from a few years earlier.

Ohara Shôsuke-san
The Gay Parisian
Children of the Beehive
Lifeboat
Obsession (Dmytryk)
Nasty Quacks
Phoenix (Kinoshita)
Lady of Burlesque
At Land
Woody Woodpecker
Cluny Brown
Sergeant York
Hangmen Also Die
I Married a Witch

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#162 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 pm

knives wrote:Our Town: I'm assuming Dom is one of the other ones to vote for this majestic mess that criticizes and endorses just about every contradictory aspect of itself with one of the greatest climaxes of the decade.
Actually, apparently I didn't. It is a great film, though

Siddon

#163 Post by Siddon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 pm

24.) Our Town(1940) Sam Wood
Loved Our Town, a spectacular mess of a film that I love every time I watch it. I wonder who is the third person who ranked it?

knives

#164 Post by knives » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Whoever it is thanks. I'm not the biggest Wood fan, but I think he went above and beyond the call of duty for this one and is a huge part of what makes it so fascinating.

Yojimbo

#165 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:TOP 10 PLUS ORPHANS

01 Whirlpool
02 Hail the Conquering Hero
03 Air Force
04 Red River
05 Rebecca
06 Heaven Can Wait
07 Mrs Miniver
08 It Had To Be You
09 Out of the Past
10 the Song of Bernadette (ALSO AN ORPHAN-- ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME)

18 the Bishop's Wife (OUCH)
19 the Fan (OUCH AGAIN)
25 Dragonwyck
26 Here Comes Mr Jordan
38 Once More, My Darling
39 the Crystal Ball
43 Battleground
48 Juke Girl (At least Thieves Highway got dropped)
50 the Big Steal

Sympathetic to Orphans Johnny Belinda and the Devil Thumbs a Ride, as they were just out of my Top 50
I've finally caught up with your big (little) noir recommendation, 'Tomorrow Is Another Day', Dom: nice little movie, with good work by all concerned, even if not quite in the 'They Live By Night' or 'Gun Crazy' class

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#166 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Yojimbo wrote: I've finally caught up with your big (little) noir recommendation, 'Tomorrow Is Another Day', Dom: nice little movie, with good work by all concerned, even if not quite in the 'They Live By Night' or 'Gun Crazy' class
And Tomorrow is Another Day is eligible for the forthcoming 50s list, HINT HINT EVERYONE READING THIS :-"

scotty2

#167 Post by scotty2 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Top Ten
1. The Third Man (Reed, 1949)
2. Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)
3. Key Largo (Huston, 1948) also-ran
4. Ivan the Terrible (Eisenstein, 1945-46)
5. Notorious (Hitchcock, 1946)
6. Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau, 1946)
7. The Long Voyage Home (Ford, 1940) also ran
8. Late Spring (Ozu, 1949)
9. Odd Man Out (Reed, 1947)
10. A Matter of Life and Death (Powell & Pressburger, 1946)

Also-rans and orphan
21. Jammin’ the Blues (Mili, 1944) also-ran
28. The Battle of San Pietro (Huston, 1945) orphan
35. Oliver Twist (Lean, 1948) also-ran
44. At Land (Daren, 1944) also-ran
47. Twelve O’Clock High (King, 1949) also-ran
49. Shoeshine (De Sica, 1946) also-ran
50. Utamoro and His Five Women (Mizoguchi, 1946) also-ran

Cold Bishop

#168 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Top 10:

1. They Made Me a Fugitive (Alberto Cavalcanti, 1947)
WTF?! Am I going to have to send you all a copy of the DVD myself? :) If you got a DVR, record it Thursday.
2. The Red Shoes (Powell-Pressburger, 1948)
3. La Terra Trema (Luchino Visconti, 1948)
4. Hail the Conquering Hero (Preston Sturges, 1944)
5. Le Corbeau (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1943)
6. Lumière d’été (Jean Grémillon, 1943)

In many ways, a vote for Grem's cumulative work this decade, among the finest run in all the cinema. Likewise, this orphaning was sort of inevitable, as the vote-splitting was bound to happen. Would be interesting to see how these films spread themselves out over the lists.
7. The Seventh Victim (Mark Robson, 1943)
8. Under the Bridges (Helmut Käutner, 1946)

Delighted to see this rank. Hopefully more will seek it out now. And hopefully I can get around those other Kaütner's from the decade.
9. Went the Day Well? (Alberto Cavalcanti, 1942)
10. Ivan the Terrible (Sergei Eisentstein, 1944+)

Orphans:

Les eaux troubles (Henri Calef, 1949) - Henri Calef was one of my favorite discoveries this project, and once I get through the rest of his films, I'll definitely give him a better write-up. As for this not-quite-noir, it's a great piece of pure film-making, the story being completely told through visuals and atmosphere, with more than a little touch of the documentary, albeit in ways that correspond less to neo-realism than the poetic docudramas of Jean Epstein or Robert Flaherty. Quite possibly a masterpiece.

Ivy (Sam Wood, 1947) - As long as we're bringing up Wood again, I got to plug this Victorian Noir once more. It might be Menzies' film more so than Wood's, but it's a wonderfully dark gothic melodrama, with Joan Fontaine in pure bitch mode..

Jour de fête (Jacques Tati, 1949) - Honestly, I can't believe this fell off. It's only a small sign of things to come, but it's still an inventive utter delight, whether in color or not.

La main du diable (Maurice Tourneur, 1943) - At least a few people watched this. If you missed it here, you still have a chance for the Horror list.

Malombra (Mario Soldati, 1942) - I needed to vote for one film of Fascist Italy, and it was between this and La corona di ferro. Both films are great examples of their particular brand of ravishly stylized period pieces. That one's an adventure film that anticipates peplum, while this is an utterly gorgeous Gothic melodrama. The perfect counterpoint to neo-realism, and both are highly recommended for those trying to investigate these hidden corners of the decade's cinema.

Der Mann, dem man den Namen stahl (Wolfgang Staudte, 1944) - The smart move would be to have gone with The Murderers Are Among Us. But frankly, I prefer this absurd, Kafkaesque satire. Supposedly banned by the Nazis, it was thought lost until very recently. Staudte himself remade it in 1948, although I've yet to see that (unsubbed) version.

Sortilèges (Christian-Jaque, 1945) - Christian-Jaque was one of those filmmakers pooh-poohed by Cahiers du Cinema. However, I have to say I've been nothing but amazed by his work this decade, epitomized by three exemplary French Noirs. While the ravishing Voyage sans espoir and the ruthless Un revenant are both just as good, I hedged my bet on this one, with a macabre, wintry atmosphere that sometimes borders on a horror film. Watch any of them if you can!

The Suspect (Robert Siodmak, 1944) - Siodmak is one of those directors almost condemned by projects like these to the trouble of vote-splitting. While he's undoubtedly a master, there's no sole, glaring masterpiece for cineastes to cling to (Some may say The Killers or Criss-Cross, but I consider these on the lower end of his work this decade). I, for my part, chose this fin de siècle period piece, starring Charles Laughton. If you liked Hangover Square (and you should), this is a good place to go next.

Tulsa (Stuart Heisler, 1949) - You know, I would have big-upped this film earlier, but I always thought it was a 1950 film! Stuart Heisler is one of those great genuine auteurs who somehow managed to avoid having any big masterpiece. Nonetheless, he made some great films, and this is one of them. Part glossy soap opera, part two-fisted actioner, part-modern Western, all in Technicolor (greatly diminished on the VCI disc). Superior Hollywood spectacle, which despite being Eagle-Lion's biggest (only?) epic, is greatly served by not being as overblown as similar films made by the Majors. Pair it with Nick Ray's Wind Across the Everglades, and have a night of eco-pulp.

Yojimbo

#169 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Yojimbo wrote: I've finally caught up with your big (little) noir recommendation, 'Tomorrow Is Another Day', Dom: nice little movie, with good work by all concerned, even if not quite in the 'They Live By Night' or 'Gun Crazy' class
And Tomorrow is Another Day is eligible for the forthcoming 50s list, HINT HINT EVERYONE READING THIS :-"
As is my (current) favourite Antonioni, also starring Steve Cochran, 'Il Grido'

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#170 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:01 am

Cold Bishop wrote:6. Lumière d’été (Jean Grémillon, 1943)
In many ways, a vote for Grem's cumulative work this decade, among the finest run in all the cinema. Likewise, this orphaning was sort of inevitable, as the vote-splitting was bound to happen. Would be interesting to see how these films spread themselves out over the lists.
I thought it was interesting that you and someone else voted for both this and Remorques, while zedz and I both voted for Pattes blanches and Le ciel est à vous, as though his films from either half of the decade were oil and water. But then someone else voted for Lumière and Pattes, which makes no sense at all.

Dansu Dansu Dansu

#171 Post by Dansu Dansu Dansu » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

For whatever reason, I forgot about Detour, Force of Evil, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith while compiling my list. The latter specifically had a chance of ranking fairly high. The film's comedy hinges on giving the wife a sexual identity separate from her husband, to which the husband is desperate to eliminate. To a certain mindset (especially of the times), I can see this being a horror film, with the comedy as irreverence to their pain. Great stuff.

I have one also-ran: Gentleman Jim. It's not really a great movie, but the off-the-cuff quality of the performances is truly unique. It's as though Flynn and his stock company of actors were having a party on the set and Walsh filmed it instead of the script.

the preacher

#172 Post by the preacher » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Orphans (15!!):

Ala-Arriba! (José Leitão de Barros, 1942) 47
I think Aniki Bóbó is not around either, so Portugal=4 points

Dios se lo pague (Luis César Amadori, 1948) 49
Neither La Guerra Gaucha (no subs?), so Argentina=2 points

Falbalas (Jacques Becker, 1945) 48
Dispersion of votes for Becker (the screwball Rendez-vous de juillet is also brilliant)

La fille du puisatier (Marcel Pagnol, 1940) 32
Uhmmm, Pagnol didn't work in the 30s either

In nome della legge (Pietro Germi, 1949) 33
Maybe a minor Germi but I encourage everyone to watch his 50s and 60s movies, they will be very high on my ballots

Komödianten (G.W. Pabst, 1941) 42
I am not a big fan of Pabst but this one is really underrated

Il lupo della Sila (Duilio Coletti, 1949) 29
Kudos to the voters of Riso amaro but Silvana Mangano's greatest film in 1949 is this forgotten melodrama of passion and vengeance

Mashenka (Yuli Raizman, 1942) 19
I discovered this lovely Mashenka thanks to Serdar, where is Serdar??

Men on the Mountain (István Szöts, 1942) 5
If my greatest satisfaction was Unter den Brücken making the cut, my biggest disappointment was to see this heartbreaking masterpiece as an orphan

La otra (Roberto Gavaldón, 1946) 46
I'll insist on Gavaldón is the 60s

Senza pietà (Alberto Lattuada, 1948) 23
This one and Il bandito are great mix of noir and neorrealism

Torment (Alf Sjöberg, 1944) 34
Somewhat unexpected that Bergman's fans did not support the film

La torre de los siete jorobados (Edgar Neville, 1944) 18
This hurts

Unconquered (Cecil DeMille, 1947) 7
I know DeMille's bad reputation in the Anglo-American world but he was one of the best narrators of the 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s and, yes, I'll vote again for DeMille in the 50s

Vivere in pace (Luigi Zampa, 1947) 40
I see more votes for Zampa... but we have not agreed on the film

Thank you very much to swo and all who contributed!

Tommaso

#173 Post by Tommaso » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm

the preacher wrote:Komödianten (G.W. Pabst, 1941) 42
I am not a big fan of Pabst but this one is really underrated
I had this on my first rough list but then I took it off, basically because I wasn't in the mood to write a run-down about Pabst films in the 40s and because I thought nobody else would vote for it anyway. Well, sorry for that. It's a wonderful film about the beginnings of professional theatre in Germany, not unlike "Les enfants du Paradis" in some respects.

TMDaines

#174 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:34 pm

As someone who doesn't participate in these lists projects, primarily because I haven't watched a large enough volume of films to warrant it but who still enjoys reading the discussion and viewing the results, it seems next to nobody actually submits a list of what they believe the fifty greatest films of the decade to be. Why do people feel the need to play games so much when it will just ultimately not really reflect what the final consensus actually is. People seem to do it in order to either a) avoid being perceived as boring, b) avoid voting for something that they no no-one else will watch, c) push up the place of a few select films, which they feel others will vote for, and they want to make sure get as high as possible.

Why do people just not vote for what they to believe the greatest fifty films to be instead of just trying to be contrary?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:43 pm

TMDaines wrote:Why do people just not vote for what they to believe the greatest fifty films to be instead of just trying to be contrary?
Uh, I did. I think maybe ten of the films I voted for even made the Top 100.