Criterion and IFC

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ianungstad

Criterion and IFC

#1 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 pm

So, it's apparent that Criterion and IFC have some kind of arrangement for a number of films. What other titles are likely to appear? Given this month's solicts I think it's just a matter of time before Hunger (Steve McQueen), Antichrist (Lars Von Trier), My Winnipeg (Guy Maddin) appear.

It will be interesting to see if any of the early IFC films distributed by either MGM or Genius become available.

I just hope they don't license My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Tom Hagen

Re: Criterion/IFC

#2 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:29 pm

I am wishing for Summer Hours and especially Paranoid Park

eerik

#3 Post by eerik » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:31 pm

List of movies distributed by IFC

I guess "This is England" wouldn't be so bad...

Flike

#4 Post by Flike » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 pm

eerik wrote:List of movies distributed by IFC

Hunger? Anyone know when Criterion would have access to that? Gomorra and A Christmas Tale are good films, certainly better than the other contemporary stuff they've been releasing, but looking at that list...My Winnipeg, Hunger, etc.

Sigh.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Given their track record, it's safe to say they won't be releasing Don't Touch the Axe or A Girl Cut in Two

Highway 61

#6 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Hou's Flight of the Red Balloon is a must. IFC's current disc is an overpriced, barebones, single-layer affair.

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm

I think Roeg's Puffball is a definite candidate, director that's already in the collection and no R1 dvd of the film is available.

Perkins Cobb

#8 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:39 pm

I've been wondering why Hunger is MIA on DVD ... Blockbuster doesn't even have it as an exclusive. I'd bet on CC treatment.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Summer Hours is announced as coming from IFC on their website.

However, since IFC announced a new partnership for DVD with MPI (they told Genius to fuck off I guess) IFC still has only released their crap releases and none of their mainline releases with MPI, with the exception of FEARS OF THE DARK. There's a possibility that with Criterion's interest in no longer releasing films that need restorations, and IFCs inability to release their top films onto DVD, then maybe Criterion will become the distribution house for IFC DVD.

Also, Puffball is absolutely terrible, and I love Roeg. I wouldn't mind seeing Criterion release The Man from London, Frontier of Dawn, and of course the Breillat, Chabrol, and Rivette go without saying as long as they aren't releasing NUMERO DEUX.

Flight of the Red Balloon is a fine DVD as it is. I'd much rather see Criterion release... ANYTHING BY HOU HSIAO HSIEN.

Flike

#10 Post by Flike » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:I've been wondering why Hunger is MIA on DVD ... Blockbuster doesn't even have it as an exclusive. I'd bet on CC treatment.
Oh! Thank you for the info.

[-o<

Murdoch

#11 Post by Murdoch » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Also, Puffball is absolutely terrible, and I love Roeg.
I wasn't a fan either, but it is a title to watch for a possible future release. It would be interesting to see board members reactions to it if anything else, I see something replacing Jubilee as a new whipping boy.

ianungstad

#12 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:50 pm

IFC has also released the last few Catherine Breillat films. Wouldn't be surprised if she made a return to the collection.

Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park would be great but I think that was distributed by Genius. Depending on how IFC's contract with Genius ended, a lot of the older films may not be available to Criterion and we would be looking at the mid 2008-present titles.

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Even given Criterion's recent penchant for releasing films previously available on DVD, I doubt we'll see much of that with this IFC deal. I'm willing to bet they'll be exclusively debuts.

Bloody Benten

#14 Post by Bloody Benten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Antichrist please!

ianungstad

#15 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:08 pm

IFC hasn't released Mad Detective in R1 yet. It's quite possible Criterion could be releasing the film and license the features from Masters of Cinema.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#16 Post by Tribe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 pm

ianungstad wrote:IFC hasn't released Mad Detective in R1 yet. It's quite possible Criterion could be releasing the film and license the features from Masters of Cinema.
I was just gonna say...I thought Mad Detective had been announced as an IFC release some time ago...but it never happened. Perhaps this is why.

justeleblanc

#17 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:29 pm

I have an old amazon box filled with a week's worth of my turds all set to go to Peter Becker's office if I find out that Alexander the Last is getting the Criterion treatment.

Who's with me?

Tom Hagen

#18 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:41 pm

ianungstad wrote:IFC hasn't released Mad Detective in R1 yet. It's quite possible Criterion could be releasing the film and license the features from Masters of Cinema.
I have been curious to find out what Criterion got - if anything other than cash - from MOC for For All Mankind.

Jeff

#19 Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:I have been curious to find out what Criterion got - if anything other than cash - from MOC for For All Mankind.
I hope it was advice on cover design.

James

#20 Post by James » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Antichrist is probably the most marketable movie for them to release.

ianungstad

#21 Post by ianungstad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Depending on the length of the deal, In the Loop will probably end up a Criterion. It's been getting rave reviews and it's IFC's biggest hit since Che.

Perkins Cobb

#22 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:48 am

justeleblanc wrote:I have an old amazon box filled with a week's worth of my turds all set to go to Peter Becker's office if I find out that Alexander the Last is getting the Criterion treatment.

Who's with me?
Well, I'd suggest waiting until it's actually announced and then boxing up a fresh batch for him, but otherwise, it's a plan.

brendanjc

#23 Post by brendanjc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:58 am

I agree with the previous posters, it seems like if IFC's big films are going to come to Criterion then In The Loop and Antichrist would be good bets to be released next year.

Abel Ferrara's Go Go Tales, Catherine Breillat's The Last Mistress, Ken Loach's It's A Free World, Cristian Nemescu's California Dreamin' and Bela Tarr's The Man From London appear to be in IFC's catalog and haven't been released on DVD in R1. I'd be happy to see an R1 anamorphic edition of El Aura, perhaps with a featurette about the director since his untimely death after this, just his second film, to round the package out. I'd also like to see The Good, The Bad, and The Weird come out but that seems more likely it would have been a Genius/Weinstein release - maybe the end of that deal is why this seems stuck in limbo.

People afraid the Swanberg top 10 meant something of his was in the pipeline should take note that IFC distributes Hannah Takes The Stairs, but the current release has a commentary so maybe there's no incentive to re-release it.

James

#24 Post by James » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:53 am

brendanjc wrote: Abel Ferrara's Go Go Tales
I was wondering where the hell this movie went. I still really want to see it.

bdsweeney

#25 Post by bdsweeney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:57 am

eerik wrote:List of movies distributed by IFC

Just by this list, I suppose Y tu mamá también is a possibility.

Or Me and You and Everyone We Know.