Forthcoming Lists Discussion & Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
stroszeck

#176 Post by stroszeck » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:51 am

Traffic, Dazed and Confused, Monterey Pop, even Kind Hearts and Coronets -- and some others this year -- why do we honestly need new DVD editions of these? How much money/time is spent searching for "improved transfers" for Traffic? Or for Dazed? And I'm a HUGE fan of both those films, matter of fact I owned ALL the different non-criterion editions.

This is the beef I have with Criterion this year. Sure it would be cool (and I believe UNPRECEDENTED) if they could release the extra disc for Grey Gardens on a SEPARATE DVD, but what bag of worms does this open up? Instead of spending manpower and funds from dvd sales, are they gonna put more energy into releasing M, Wages of Fear, Seven Samurai (eventually), and other re-issues' special features only discs?

I'm sure we all thought that by May we'd be seeing Ozu, Eistenstein and others in addition to the Malle, Welles and Ford. But the way the first half of '06 has been turning out, it doesn't seem that way. Hopefully the coming summer months will fix that...?

Narshty

#177 Post by Narshty » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:21 am

stroszeck wrote:Traffic, Dazed and Confused, Monterey Pop, even Kind Hearts and Coronets -- and some others this year -- why do we honestly need new DVD editions of these?
Well, Traffic and Monterey Pop are simply re-releases of existing discs. Ordering a new print run and updating their trade catalogue is about as much man power as those two will have taken up. As for the other two, a major part of Criterion's self-appointed role in the home video market, ever since the earliest days of laserdisc, was to give deluxe treatment to films they felt deserved it but were only then available in versions that didn't do them full justice. Criterion's doing special edition re-releases is hardly anything new. Were you pissed they "wasted" so much time and effort on their Eisenstein: The Sound Years boxset, especially since Image had already put out versions of all the movies a few years earlier?
How much money/time is spent searching for "improved transfers" for Traffic? Or for Dazed?
Well, Traffic is the same disc as before. As for Dazed and Confused, I bet you ten quid they use exactly the same transfer as appeared on Universal's most recent offering.
This is the beef I have with Criterion this year. Sure it would be cool (and I believe UNPRECEDENTED) if they could release the extra disc for Grey Gardens on a SEPARATE DVD, but what bag of worms does this open up? Instead of spending manpower and funds from dvd sales, are they gonna put more energy into releasing M, Wages of Fear, Seven Samurai (eventually), and other re-issues' special features only discs?
Well, they might. The major difference being that all of the others you quote have new transfers, subtitles, booklets and other come-ons apart from simply supplements. Grey Gardens is only getting a second DVD because Albert Maysles put it together apparently as a labour of love and they have a good relationship with him. He did basically fill out about three quarters of their Life Aquatic special edition, after all.
I'm sure we all thought that by May we'd be seeing Ozu, Eistenstein and others in addition to the Malle, Welles and Ford. But the way the first half of '06 has been turning out, it doesn't seem that way. Hopefully the coming summer months will fix that...?
A big part of Criterion's groove has always been focusing on smaller, neglected films they think deserve more recognition alongside the biggies. It's all still to play for.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#178 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm

In a possible development that renders almost all the discussions on this topic moot, Image's website is now listing "Elevator to the Gallows," "Fists in the Pocket" and "Mr. Arkadin" as the Criterion releases for April. The individual pages for "Harlan County, U.S.A." and the 2-Disc "Grey Gardens" are still up, but they now have May release dates; while the single-disc "400 Blows" and "Monterey Pop" discs seem to be postponed indefinitely.

Kind of helps explain why we haven't gotten any specs on these discs at this point, huh?

-BJ

oldsheperd

#179 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm

Crieriondvd.com now lists Mr. Arkadin and Fists in the Pocket as being both released April 18th and April 25th respectively.

bjeggert82

#180 Post by bjeggert82 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm

Why, if the newer edition of Traffic is being rereleased in March, is it not on the Criterion website on the Coming Soon page?

toiletduck!

#181 Post by toiletduck! » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:32 pm

I was under the impression that it wasn't a new edition so much as distribution housecleaning or the like.

-Toilet Dcuk

Cinephrenic

#182 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:38 pm

Criterion hates to announce titles in advanced due to delays but the titles they announce are usually delayed. They can't seem to get it together these last months.

LightBulbFilm

#183 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:42 pm

bjeggert82 wrote:Why, if the newer edition of Traffic is being rereleased in March, is it not on the Criterion website on the Coming Soon page?
As far as I know the new Traffic edition is just them changing the UPC and making a new batch.

What A Disgrace

#184 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:11 pm

cinephrenic wrote:Criterion hates to announce titles in advanced due to delays but the titles they announce are usually delayed. They can't seem to get it together these last months.
I think the fact that they're announcing titles a month earlier than usual (this started when December's releases were announced in early September; imagine my surprise when I finally got my hard drive fixed!) has something to do with it. We wouldn't likely notice so many delays if Criterion's announcement schedule was the same as before; since they wouldn't have been announced in the first place.

zedz

#185 Post by zedz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:51 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Crieriondvd.com now lists Mr. Arkadin and Fists in the Pocket as being both released April 18th and April 25th respectively.
Criterion's site still list these as March, but there's corroboration for the delay in these two being the only titles not included in the "Coming Soon" section of the latest newsletter.

Ashirg

#186 Post by Ashirg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:37 am

Image and Amazon confirm these changed release dates

unclehulot

#187 Post by unclehulot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:43 am

Narshty wrote: Were you pissed they "wasted" so much time and effort on their Eisenstein: The Sound Years boxset, especially since Image had already put out versions of all the movies a few years earlier?
Sure would have been nice if it had been better for all that time spent. Yeah, sure it's better than the Image releases, but the soundtrack to Nevsky is hopelessly screwed up (wrong source used), and there's combing from non-progressive transfer methods. Nevsky should have been recalled......

HerrSchreck

#188 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:00 am

unclehulot wrote:
Narshty wrote: Were you pissed they "wasted" so much time and effort on their Eisenstein: The Sound Years boxset, especially since Image had already put out versions of all the movies a few years earlier?
Sure would have been nice if it had been better for all that time spent. Yeah, sure it's better than the Image releases, but the soundtrack to Nevsky is hopelessly screwed up (wrong source used), and there's combing from non-progressive transfer methods. Nevsky should have been recalled......
Has anyone in CC ever directly & publicly addressed the issue of that NEVSKY soundtrack they were delivered by MOS and what-- if truly modern overdubs-- those layover elements constituted? Seems like they were sorta humiliated a bit, particularly if their restoration QC let that audio monster lumber right by unnoticed beneath their eardrums (again, if they are what they seem to be ie inauthentic).

unclehulot

#189 Post by unclehulot » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:31 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
unclehulot wrote:
Has anyone in CC ever directly & publicly addressed the issue of that NEVSKY soundtrack they were delivered by MOS and what-- if truly modern overdubs-- those layover elements constituted? Seems like they were sorta humiliated a bit, particularly if their restoration QC let that audio monster lumber right by unnoticed beneath their eardrums (again, if they are what they seem to be ie inauthentic).

Not that I'm aware of. When the release first appeared, I had a fairly open email channel with Peter Becker. I emailed him (nicely!) about what I heard, and never heard back about it. I emailed a second time, heard nothing and then took a more offensive tack. Yes, the man is busy, but this is about what the company STANDS for. I remember he seemed VERY peeved at some particular reviewers taking a negative stand on what he considered minor issues, so perhaps that was a warning to keep it all on the fan club side. Well, Mr. Becker should consider that many of us spend the money that keeps his company going, and that sweeping this stuff under the rug does no good in the long run. For whatever it's worth, I'll keep mouthing off on this subject until the company acknowledges it made a big, stinking faux pas.

Ted Todorov

#190 Post by Ted Todorov » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:40 am

The April titles are still not up on the Criterion coming soon page -- is this the latest the official announcement has been delayed?

Ted

toiletduck!

#191 Post by toiletduck! » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:43 am

I know someone else mentioned it somewhere around here (maybe in random speculation), but I'd be willing to be that Criterion are nixing the four month advance notice in favor of the original three. That extra month seems to have been nothing but trouble since they added it.

-Toilet Dcuk

HerrSchreck

#192 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:06 am

unclehulot wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:Has anyone in CC ever directly & publicly addressed the issue of that NEVSKY soundtrack they were delivered by MOS and what-- if truly modern overdubs-- those layover elements constituted? Seems like they were sorta humiliated a bit, particularly if their restoration QC let that audio monster lumber right by unnoticed beneath their eardrums (again, if they are what they seem to be ie inauthentic).

Not that I'm aware of. When the release first appeared, I had a fairly open email channel with Peter Becker. I emailed him (nicely!) about what I heard, and never heard back about it. I emailed a second time, heard nothing and then took a more offensive tack. Yes, the man is busy, but this is about what the company STANDS for. I remember he seemed VERY peeved at some particular reviewers taking a negative stand on what he considered minor issues, so perhaps that was a warning to keep it all on the fan club side. Well, Mr. Becker should consider that many of us spend the money that keeps his company going, and that sweeping this stuff under the rug does no good in the long run. For whatever it's worth, I'll keep mouthing off on this subject until the company acknowledges it made a big, stinking faux pas.
Thanks for the head's up. The brick wall vis a vis Becker kind of surprises me. You'd think, with all the home runs these guys regularly hit, it'd be a cinch to get the kind of company confidence & easy forthrightness-- having nothing to be ashamed of, being the great Janus-- regarding a single mistake.

It's far more impressive to see a person so completely unintimidated by a mistake that they know the admission of one does not meamn the world will come crashing in on them. A little self-deprecating comment and all's forgiven of course.

And a good company service identification rule in my book always is: good mistake handling. Errors will inevitably occur... it's how you deal with them the impresses clients.

PS: you'd also think getting an explanation about the VAMPYR torture shouldn't be so taboo.

Doctor Sunshine

#193 Post by Doctor Sunshine » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:38 pm

So, all of the April releases and rereleases are up on amazon. All, I say, but a separately-available-Grey Gardens-supplemental-disc. Unless they called it something without "Grey Gardens" in the title which would seem unlikely. Maybe it'll be a mail-in offer? I'm speculating needlessly.

Derek Estes

#194 Post by Derek Estes » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:53 am

I think It would be great if the new 2 disc Grey Gardens came in a slim case. Then they could offer the supplementary disc in an empty case to those who own the original, so they can swap the sleeve, and original disc in the new case. Just a thought. I think it would be a reasonable compromise.

Toshiro De Niro

#195 Post by Toshiro De Niro » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 am

it would probably be easier and would cost as much if you sell the old version on ebay,half.com,amazon for about $18 and then buy the new edition at DVDplanet or deepdiscountdvd for $24 or $26. If they offer supplements separately, i can't imagine it being cost less than $6-5.

Lino

#196 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:42 pm

Go here for a clip of Elevator to the Gallows and while you're at it, enjoy some sweet Miles Davis music:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Ascenseur-pour ... es%20davis

Arcadean

#197 Post by Arcadean » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Elevator to the Gallows is definitely one that I am buying. I saw it in a local theater with my family about 2 months ago (the Rialto print), and I was dumbfounded by the combination of Jeanne Moreau and Miles Davis.

Cinephrenic

#198 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:50 pm

I can't wait to see what extras this DVD will hold. I'm wondering if they have something along the lines of Miles Davis and his music on the film.

tavernier

#199 Post by tavernier » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:18 pm

Criterion press release, updating March/April titles:

Grey Gardens, Harlan County, U.S.A., The 400 Blows, Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey and Monterey Pop (single-disc edition) all move out of April and will be rescheduled.

March 2006
TRAFFIC - 2000 -Steven Soderbergh - This is the same version currently available, however, new distribution will make it more widely available.
Steven Soderbergh examines the effect of drugs as politics, business, and lifestyle, interweaving the stories of a newly appointed drug czar and his family, a West Coast kingpin?s wife, a key informant, and cops on both sides of the U.S./Mexican border. Instantly recognized as a classic, Traffic appeared on more than 200 critics? ten-best lists, and earned five Academy Award nominations.

Cat: CC1622D
Title: Traffic
UPC: 7-15515-01722-0
SRP: $39.95
Prebook date: 1/31/06
Street date: 3/7/06

3 Films by Louis Malle (4 disc box set & available separately)
A four-disc box set showcasing director Louis Malle's loose trilogy of acclaimed films about the loss of innocence and modern France. Murmur of the Heart is about a 15-year-old boy growing up in Dijon in the 1950s and his scandalous behavior. Lacombe Lucien takes place in the summer of 1944, and tells the story of an 18-year-old working for the occupying Nazis. Au revoir les enfants is Malle's award-winning, autobiographical story about two boys at a provincial Catholic boarding school during the war, and the secret they share. Also includes a fourth disc of supplements, exclusive to this box set.

Cat: MAL030
Title: 3 Films by Louis Malle
UPC: 0-37429-21292-9
SRP: $79.95
Prebook date: 2/7/06
Street date: 3/14/06

MURMUR OF THE HEART - 1971 - Louis Malle¹s critically acclaimed Murmur of the Heart gracefully combines elements of comedy, drama, and autobiography in a candid portrait of one boy¹s journey from childhood to adulthood. Malle¹s depiction of a precocious fifteen-year old boy¹s sexual maturation and unorthodox relationship with his free-spirited mother is both shocking and deeply poignant, amounting to one of the finest coming-of-age films ever committed to film.

Cat: MUR040
Title: Murmur of the Heart
UPC: 0-37429-21252-3
SRP: $29.95

LACOMBE, LUCIEN - 1974 - One of the first French films to address the issue of collaboration during the German Occupation, Louis Malle¹s brave and controversial Lacombe, Lucien traces a young peasant¹s journey from potential Resistance member to Gestapo recruit. At once the story of a nation and one troubled boy¹s horrific coming of age, the film is a disquieting portrait of lost innocence and guilt.

Cat: LUC070
Title: Lacombe, Lucien
UPC: 0-37429-21242-4

AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS - 1987 -Based on events from writer-director Louis Malle?s own childhood, Au revoir les enfants is the tragic story of friendship and devastating loss between two boys at a Catholic board-school in Nazi-occupied France. Julien befriends Jean, and the two precocious youths enjoy true camaraderie until Jean?s secret--that he is a Jew Äbeing hid by sympathetic priests®¢is revealed. Subtly and precisely observed, the film is a tale of cowardice and courage and ultimately heartbreaking awakening into adulthood. Ä

Cat: AUR020
Title: Au Revoir Les Enfants
UPC: 0-37429-20712-3

THE CHILDREN ARE WATCHING US - 1944 - Vittorio De Sica
With this briliant film, Oscar-winner Vittorio De Sica developed the themes and style that paved the way for Italian neorealism. His devastating portrait of the destruction of innocence is the story of a four-year-old boy who is emotionally abandoned by his parents when their marriage falls apart.

Cat: CHI170
Title: The Children Are Watching Us
UPC: 0-37429-20802-1
Prebook date: 2/21/06
Street date: 3/28/06

April 2006
THE COMPLETE MR. ARKADIN - 1955 - Orson Welles
American smuggler Guy van Stratten decides to investigate the mysterious Mr. Arkadin (Orson Welles) after hearing about the wealthy man from a prison cellmate. Van Stratten befriends Arkadin's daughter, Raina, but Arkadin himself claims amnesia about his own life, sending van Stratten off to investigate his past. The search spans many countries and characters, but the real purpose of the mission is not what it seems. Orson Welles's elusive film presented in three different versions.

Cat: ARK010
Title: Mr. Arkadin
UPC: 0-37429-20772-7
SRP: $49.95
Prebook date was: 2/21/06
Street date was: 3/28/06
New Prebook date: 3/14/06
New Street date: 4/18/06

FISTS IN THE POCKET - 1965 - Marco Bellocchio
A dark, perverse portrait of family dysfunction, Fists in the Pocket stunned moviegoers and critics alike with its unflinching social critique and brazenly assured style. This award-winning feature debut by writer/director Marco Bellocchio heralds the arrival of a powerful filmmaking voice, and ranks as a truly unique classic of Italian cinema.

Cat: CC1626D
Title: Fists in the Pocket
UPC: 7-15515-01762-6
Prebook was: 2/21/06
Street date was: 3/28/06
Prebook date: 3/21/06
New Street date: 4/25/06

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS - 1958 - Louis Malle
In his mesmerizing debut feature, twenty-four-year-old director Louis Malle brought together the beauty of Jeanne Moreau, the camera work of Henri Decaë, and a now legendary score by Miles Davis. A touchstone of the careers of both its star and director, Elevator to the Gallows
(Ascenseur pour lÂ

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#200 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:11 pm

I could see the Elevator to the Gallows coming with a soundtrack CD, as I don't think the soundtrack is still in print?