Forthcoming Lists Discussion & Random Speculation

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
cafeman

Forthcoming Lists Discussion & Random Speculation

#1 Post by cafeman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:09 pm

[ArtsmagicDVD has] been asking for suggestions from net users, and this was the reply given [on DVD Talk] when certain titles were mentioned:
- Here is Gerry's reply to suggestions that have been posted here:

The quick answer is, no. A lot of Mizoguchi, including those listed below, we believe, is with Criterion, as is a lot of Gosha. Pigs and Battleships and Ballad of Narayama are already taken, probably Criterion again. Damn! Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain also gone.

Cinephrenic

#2 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:08 pm

Not sure if any of these are confirmed, they seem like speculation. Most of these titles' rights are already Criterion's anyway. But interesting source.

rlendog

#3 Post by rlendog » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:47 pm

cafeman wrote:[ArtsmagicDVD has] been asking for suggestions from net users, and this was the reply given [on DVD Talk] when certain titles were mentioned:
- Here is Gerry's reply to suggestions that have been posted here:

The quick answer is, no. A lot of Mizoguchi, including those listed below, we believe, is with Criterion, as is a lot of Gosha. Pigs and Battleships and Ballad of Narayama are already taken, probably Criterion again. Damn! Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain also gone.
Do you know which Mizoguchi titles were "listed below"?

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:33 am

rlendog wrote:Do you know which Mizoguchi titles were "listed below"?
Ugetsu (1953) - directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
Tales of the Taira Clan (1955) - directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#5 Post by peerpee » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:38 am

But the Mizoguchi, Imamura, and Ichikawa have always been with the Janus Collection! -- it's hardly like they "just acquired them".

Narshty

#6 Post by Narshty » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:33 am

Indeed, Criterion own hundreds of titles they haven't yet released. I really don't think the news at the top of this thread is indicative of anything.

feihong

#7 Post by feihong » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:45 am

First I've heard of Criterion/Janus owning any Gosha films. It's strange to me that we get bizarro pictures like Sword of Doom before the much more accessible Goyokin, or that Homevision releases old Fukasaku miscellany before we see The Hunter in the Dark or Tenchu.

I'd love to see a Gosha box, maybe with a widescreen disc of Bandit Vs. Samurai Squadron in it and definitely a nicely restored, English subtitled Goyokin with a nice commentary and stuff. But I can't quite believe that Criterion will release anything like that.

kortik

#8 Post by kortik » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:18 am

Hey I am with you man I also dream about those films that you mentioned I hope someday it will come out or The Japanese companies put Eng. subs on their DVDs which happens rarely.

feihong

#9 Post by feihong » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 pm

The Japanese companies will NEVER put English subs on their old classic films. I simply don't believe it will happen. Their whole industry is turned inwards, away from exporting their product.

I just had a wonderful waking dream. I saw two Criterion boxsets that just don't exist. But what if they did? Awesome!

Here, let me fill you in on the beauty and the agony of my dream, so that you may feel it too. You probably already do, if you love any of these films as I do.

A Gosha samurai picture boxset, containing: GOYOKIN, TENCHU, SWORD OF THE BEAST, BANDIT VS. SAMURAI SQUADRON, and THE HUNTER IN THE DARK. Beautiful.

And a truly beautiful box that will never ever appear, I think--a King Hu wuxia box, featuring: DRAGON INN, ANGER, A TOUCH OF ZEN, THE VALIANT ONES, THE FATE OF LEE KHAN, and RAINING IN THE MOUNTAIN. God. What a concept. I have chills, fever, the works. You could watch and see the evolution of Hu's wuxia conception, how he evolves as a filmmaker from broad-based films like Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen to the focused, narrow pictures like Raining in the Mountain. A great idea.

And I still think a Criterion disc of Zigeunerweisen would be a worthing spine # 300. I even designed a cover for the damn thing. It would be so great.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:52 pm

I even designed a cover for the damn thing
Show us! Go on, you know you want to! ;)

Nihonophile

#11 Post by Nihonophile » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:59 am

feihong wrote:And I still think a Criterion disc of Zigeunerweisen would be a worthing spine # 300. I even designed a cover for the damn thing. It would be so great.
God have you seen Zig (and where)? That movie is at the top of my 'I wish I could see this but I dont know where to find it' list. Great #300 idea

yoshimori

#12 Post by yoshimori » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:49 am

The three late Suzuki's [Ziguenerweisen, Heat Haze Theater, and Yumeji] are available on DVD without subs in Japan.

I saw these films projected here in LA at the NuArt a few years back. All very subdued and mysterious. Some great surreal moments. And Suzuki was in attendance.

Jun-Dai
監督

criterionforum.org's recommendations for Criterion

#13 Post by Jun-Dai » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:31 pm

1 (66) Luis Bunuel "Mexican" set
2 (46) Sátántangó
3 (41) Vampyr
4 (39) Berlin Alexanderplatz set
5 (31 Vittorio de Sica Neorealist set
6 (29) Lost Highway
7 (28) Le Samourai
8 (26) Double Indemnity
9 (23) Sansho dayu
10 (22) Ashes of Time
- (22) Histoire(s) du cinéma set

The other thread for this was getting too bloated, and so I dislodged it and I begin again (I will try to manage this one better). You can peruse the older thread here. I'm keeping it as the dumping ground for posts in this thread that have been added to the list.

To begin with, you can find the complete list here, ranked:
http://chaumurky.net/toplist/rank-films.jsp

You can also find your picks listed here:
http://chaumurky.net/toplist/all-users.jsp

All titles that are ineligible are greyed out. You can help me by pointing out errors, or mentioning other titles that are ineligible and why.

If you would like to add or modify your recommendations here, post your 5 ranked items in this thread, and I will update the list when I get the chance. As before, the ranking system is as follows: the first eligible title on your list counts for 5 votes, the second for 4 votes, and the third for 3 votes. Any additional titles are simply for buffer in case one or two of your other selections are determined to be ineligible.

I will consolidate similar selections, and I will ignore vague ones (e.g., "Anything by Chantal Akermann"). If you list a set, but you don't list something coherent that ties the set together, I may switch it for a similar set, or simply select one of the films in it. If you select a film that is closely associated with another film (e.g., La Chienne was remade as Scarlet Street), I will count it as a vote for that set (unless you request that I do otherwise).

There is no purpose behind this list, and it has no visibility that I know of to Criterion (though you can feel free to mention it to them).

Any posts that don't seem to be useful anymore I will delete, or append to the older thread, so as to keep this thread trim.
Last edited by Jun-Dai on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sai

#14 Post by Sai » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:31 pm

I just thought 'why the hell not'.
Dear Jon Mulvaney,

you may be aware of the 'www.criterionforum.org's recommendations for Criterion'-list (located here: www.criterionforum.org's recommendations for Criterion). Could you give me an indication of the number of films from this list that are possibilities for future releases?

Thanks in advance,
Dear Simon,

We are indeed aware of the Criterion Forum recommendations list and we greatly appreciate all the thought and effort dedicated to it by the Forum members. Unfortunately, I can't comment specifically on which titles are likely to find their way into the collection. Sorry I can't be of greater assistance.

All the best,
JM

neuro

#15 Post by neuro » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:23 am

While we're in the vein of near-impossible rights acquisitions, throw into the mix any of the Kuchar Brothers' output. I'd love to see one, let alone have a DVD of their work.

Gordon

#16 Post by Gordon » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:57 pm

Along the lines of the Brakhage set, it would be great if Criterion put together a collection of Bill Viola's films:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0899169/

http://www.billviola.com/bibliogr.htm (Just look at those images!)

http://www.billviola.com/ordering.htm (Note that "There is currently no US distributor for VHS tapes or DVDs")

The Reflecting Pool, 1979
Ancient of Days, 1979-81
Chott el-Djerid (A Portait in Light and Heat), 1979
Hatsu-yume (First Dream), 1981
I Do Not Know What It Is I Am Like, 1986
Passage, 1987
The Passing, 1991
The Crossing, 1996
Emergence, 2002

I believe that Voyager put out a Collected Works in 1987 - is this right?

He is an amazing artist; his films are incredibly powerful and beautful. I'd love to see his complete works on DVD, preferably from Criterion.

pzman84

#17 Post by pzman84 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:24 pm

To Continue my list:

6. Some Welles- Chimes at Midnight, The Trial
7. Some Bergam- Sawdust and Tinsel, Virgin Spring
8. Some Antonioni- La Notte, Il Deserto rosso, The Passenger (Jack Nicholson owns the rights to this.)
9. Some Ford- Young Mr. Lincoln
10. Some Renoir- La Bête humaine

Also, who owns the rights to "The Africa Queen?" Fox released the VHS of it, but I heard the Paramount now has the rights. Anyway, who ever has it should give to Criterion to release it.

Toshiro De Niro

#18 Post by Toshiro De Niro » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:16 am

This seems like appropriate thread to ask this question:
Criterion collection is basically a list of stand out films similar to AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies for example.
Because Criterion cannot release anything they want and because they're continuosly releasing more movies I would like to see a more comprehensive list besides their catalog.
Does anyone know of a reputable list containing 400-1000 titles of most remarkable movies ever made? In other words a list of "criterion-worthy" movies. I bet the criterion crew has such "wish list" or something like it.

I know about 200 titles that I would like to see before I die (i'm 26), but I'm sure there are more and I would like to find out what they are, because Criterion just can't keep up and in the case of Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Grapes of Wrath, Annie Hall, Alien...- just don't own the rights.

I would like to see a list of criterion-worthy movies (including the ones already released by other companies) compiled on this site. Or better yet a gigantic top list of such films. I can definitely contribute, but I can't handle such a thread by myself. If anyone interested...

swingo

#19 Post by swingo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:21 am

imiba wrote:This seems like appropriate thread to ask this question:
Criterion collection is basically a list of stand out films similar to AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies for example.
Because Criterion cannot release anything they want and because they're continuosly releasing more movies I would like to see a more comprehensive list besides their catalog.
Does anyone know of a reputable list containing 400-1000 titles of most remarkable movies ever made? In other words a list of "criterion-worthy" movies. I bet the criterion crew has such "wish list" or something like it.

I know about 200 titles that I would like to see before I die (i'm 26), but I'm sure there are more and I would like to find out what they are, because Criterion just can't keep up and in the case of Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Grapes of Wrath, Annie Hall, Alien...- just don't own the rights.

I would like to see a list of criterion-worthy movies (including the ones already released by other companies) compiled on this site. Or better yet a gigantic top list of such films. I can definitely contribute, but I can't handle such a thread by myself. If anyone interested...
Several members of here made a list of the ones they would like to see released by criterion, you can find the most voted and a full list, at the beginning of this very trade.

Axel.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:22 am

You mean like this?

Toshiro De Niro

#21 Post by Toshiro De Niro » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:33 am

zedz wrote:You mean like this?
Thanks a lot! That should last me couple of years.

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Wed May 18, 2005 1:15 pm

Whenever they get around to re-release Playtime or any other Tati that still hasn't got a CC spine number, I do wish they include his very last short - Forza Bastia. Watch a trailer here:

http://www2.kwcinema.kataweb.it/torinof ... 00651.html

Sai

#23 Post by Sai » Wed May 18, 2005 2:07 pm

The Dutch edition of Playtime also had a nice segment on his unfinished pictures. I really hope Criterion can manage to include some excerpts of them, especially some more information on the project he was trying to start up with Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.

feihong

#24 Post by feihong » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:24 pm

1. Zigeunerweisen, Zigeunerweisen, Zigeunerweisen (d.Seijun Suzuki)!!! I request this quarterly.
2. A Brighter Summer Day (d.Edward Yang)
3. Magic Hunter (d.Ildiko Enyedi)
4. Dragon Inn (d.King Hu)
5. The Earth Entranced (d.Glauber Rocha)
6. Celine and Julie Go Boating (d.Jacques Rivette)
7. Murmur of the Heart (d.Louis Malle)

Cinephrenic

#25 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Can you please change two of my selections (since they have been announced or released) to:

Le Samourai (Melville)
The Insect Woman (Imamura)