Steven H

#27 Post by Steven H » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:24 pm

Dear HerrSchreck,

Re: Sternberg silents

ha!

HerrSchreck

#28 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:43 pm

Heh heh..

Yeh if it werent for the Lube Musicals I wouldnt have placed any stock in that whatsoever.. would have taken it as the usual tissue of wishful bullshit on the silent/Paramount end.

Something is telling my sixth sense that SHANGHAI EXPRESS is in the wind. I know it's Uni but there's GOT to be a reason it was left out of R1 on the Glamour discs.

Now, about ISLAND OF LOST SOULS...

ianungstad

#29 Post by ianungstad » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:45 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Heh heh..

Something is telling my sixth sense that SHANGHAI EXPRESS is in the wind. I know it's Uni but there's GOT to be a reason it was left out of R1 on the Glamour discs.

Now, about ISLAND OF LOST SOULS...

Well I hope your gut instinct is right. I've been wanting to see Shanghai Express for a long time, would probably be more excited to see that materialize than the Sternberg silents.

I wonder why Criterion let that one fly under the radar. The screen caps from the russian dvd on DVD Beaver shows that the print looks to be in better shape than the print Criterion released for The Scarlett Empress....

HerrSchreck

#30 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:07 am

And there's already a HD transfer of the complete SHANGHAI being used for PAL releases of the film at present. For Uni to have held it back from R1 (also DISHONORED) while simulataneously releasing it in PALville with the rest of the Sternbergs ... maybe CC are planning to release this w SHANG & DISHONORED on the CC line while the silents come out on the E line nearly simultaneous... kind of like a Saura scenario.

HerrSchreck

#31 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:03 am

I guess I just assumed the R1 & the huge R2's came from the same source w the mid-2006 release which I assumed were SD-encoded HD tapes?

Gary's review:
It seems like we have been waiting for a decent Shanghai Express since the advent of DVD. Well, now it's here.

e package was quietly released with very few reports on it. Basically it includes 3 of the same DVDs (exactly the same) sold in France by Universal - Blonde Venus (1932), The Devil Is a Woman (1935) and A Foreign Affair (1948), one film currently available on DVD in region 1 (Destry Rides Again) and 2 new releases - Shanghai Express (1932) and The Lady Is Willing (1942). NOTE: Shanghai Express is actually available in a horrendous DVD from Prestige Films - which can't hold a candle to this one (see capture comparisons below).

This Boxset is comprised of three standard-size transparent DVD cases that hold two DVDs each (in individual tab compartments - not overlapping
All are single-layered except A Foreign Affair which is dual layered. All are progressively transferred and have optional English subtitles

(although some of the French duplicated DVDs have many more language sub options - English, German, French, Dutch, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Swedish and Danish).

That's from his review of the R2 six-disc w SHANGHAI. On the R1 Glamour Coll he wrote--
DEAL! We don't see a lot of discrepancy between the PAL releases and these new Region 1 editions.

erichm

Re: The Wedding March

#32 Post by erichm » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:23 am

As this seems the only dedicated THE WEDDING MARCH thread on this forum here is a bit of an update after almost a decade.

Criterion according to an E-Mail I received a few days ago from Jon Mulvaney has "no immediate plans" to release THE WEDDING MARCH - I guess one could speak of no great hurry 9 years after this thread was started...
So read into that what you like but I will not hold my breath for a release.

I did however find something else that may be of interest to members who still want to get their WEDDING MARCH fix, there is a screening on tcm next Thursday:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/493158/T ... ing-March/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is no BD (or even DVD) release but it will hopefully improve upon the sorry quality of the VHS version that severely diminishes the effect of the beautiful cinematography of THE WEDDING MARCH.

erichm

Re: The Wedding March

#33 Post by erichm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:32 pm

And for those who like to read up on their movies there is always the option to get the really impressive Herman G. Weinberg book about the WEDDING MARCH, available on Amazon right now