Criterion Collection Store

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Matt

#1 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 pm

http://store.criterion.com/
Criterion wrote: On Thursday, September 6, Criterion will launch its new, redesigned website. Customers will then be able to shop at www.criterion.com for Criterion products, including T-shirts, hats, posters, mugs, and gift certificates. And, for the first time since the days of laserdiscs, Criterion will be selling its library of movies directly online.

We're introducing many new ways to browse through our collection of Criterion and Eclipse films. You'll notice a new category called Explore, in which you'll be able to look deeper into film movements—such as the French new wave—or the works of such favorite Criterion directors as Ingmar Bergman. Plus, we'll offer all of the top ten lists of filmmakers and friends that have appeared over the years in our monthly newsletters, which will now be archived on our main site.

When you shop at Criterion you'll get 20% off all DVDs, free shipping on orders of $50 or more, and a $50 gift certificate for every $500 you spend.
If you buy lots of Criterion titles, that's actually not a bad deal. 20% off the top, then what amounts to an additional 10% off after you rack up $500 (not all that hard to do with Criterion discs).
Last edited by Matt on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigi M.

#2 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Wait a minute, so now we can shop at the Criterion store for DVDs at a 20% off + $50 certificate every time you spend $500. Looks like a great deal to me.

Edit: Now more than ever because of DVD Planet recent shipping mess.

I wonder how early will they ship new titles?

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:21 pm

Gigi M. wrote:I wonder how early will they ship new titles?
I'm willing to bet they will not ship early at all. They could be accused of unfair business practices by retailers.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#4 Post by Tribe » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 pm

Any thoughts on how, if at all, this has any impact on Image's distribution deal? Sounds like CC is gonna be in competition with them to a certain extent now.

Tribe

mmacklem

#5 Post by mmacklem » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Am I missing something here? If they're talking about 20% off, presumably that's off the MSRP, in which case that's approximately the standard price most places online.

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:51 pm

I'm just hoping they'll start shipping Criterion gear to Canada.

criterionsnob

#7 Post by criterionsnob » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:56 pm

It appears they will be shipping to English Canada, as the store is already partially up:
Can my order be shipped outside of the United States?

We are only shipping our DVDs in the United States and English-speaking Canada. If you would like to purchase our non-DVD items and you live outside the U.S., please e-mail Jon Mulvaney with your requests: mulvaney@criterion.com.

Cinesimilitude

#8 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:00 pm

getting non-dvd stuff to canada looks to be on a case by case basis...

but holy crap...
Canadian Shipping

Canada Standard Shipping: Flat rate of $10.95, plus $1 per additional item.
Ships via FORM delivery (USPS FIrst Class Mail International)
Orders on in-stock items usually take 2-3 weeks.
Tracking is not available.
Duties, fees, and taxes by Canadian Customs could cost up to $20 per package.
I'll be getting my orders sent to Georgia and my grandparents can bring them to me in October. that shipping cost is ridiculous.

Tribe

#9 Post by Tribe » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:11 pm

mmacklem wrote:If they're talking about 20% off, presumably that's off the MSRP, in which case that's approximately the standard price most places online.
Yeah, my math sort of comes out pretty much the same as yours. That extra discount will make the difference then.

Tribe

Matt

#10 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:13 pm

mmacklem wrote:Am I missing something here? If they're talking about 20% off, presumably that's off the MSRP, in which case that's approximately the standard price most places online.
No, it's precisely the fact that the discount is roughly equivalent to other online retailers that's newsworthy; it makes the store actually a viable option for shoppers.

Luke M

#11 Post by Luke M » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:14 pm

If they're charging MSRP then what's the point? I would think they would have lower prices than DVD Planet because they're cutting out the middle man.

Matt

#12 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Luke M wrote:If they're charging MSRP then what's the point? I would think they would have lower prices than DVD Planet because they're cutting out the middle man.
Firstly, they are not charging MSRP. It's 20% off MSRP, a better deal than many online retailers (Barnes & Noble to name one). Secondly, they can't just go and undercut the price of all their business partners. That would be suicidal.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luke M

#13 Post by Luke M » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:17 pm

I'll have to keep an eye out when the store goes live. Perhaps they found a secret stash of copies of Salo.

Tribe

#14 Post by Tribe » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Matt wrote:
Luke M wrote:If they're charging MSRP then what's the point? I would think they would have lower prices than DVD Planet because they're cutting out the middle man.
Firstly, they are not charging MSRP. It's 20% off MSRP, a better deal than many online retailers (Barnes & Noble to name one). Secondly, they can't just go and undercut the price of all their business partners. That would be suicidal.
I'm sure (well, it's more of an assumption) the distribution deal with Image prohibits Criterion from establishing a store, online or otherwise, that discounted their releases by more than what is customary.

tribe

Jeff

#15 Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm

As Matt pointed out, the fact that they are offering any discount off the MSRP at all is a big deal. Most manufacturers who sell their products directly to consumers charge the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price since, you know, they are the manufacturer who suggested that retail price in the first place. As long as they are competitive, I would much rather give my cash directly to Criterion. They might as well set up an automatic withdrawal from my checking account at this point anyway.

Floyd

#16 Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Well, I am prepared to buy this Pierrot le fou poster. It is magnificent. I think that will be it for now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 pm

partially-encrypted checkout page #-o

Luke M

#18 Post by Luke M » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:08 pm

I like the posters so far. Will keep an eye out for those.

jbeall

#19 Post by jbeall » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Jeff wrote:As long as they are competitive, I would much rather give my cash directly to Criterion. They might as well set up an automatic withdrawal from my checking account at this point anyway.
I feel the same way, Jeff!

And just to point out, Criterion is a DVD boutique that does quality work, and whose employees (even Jonathan Turell, for that matter) answer email, while many other retailers are gigantic corporations. Regardless of whether it has any actual effect in the grand scheme of things, I feel that buying directly from companies like Criterion and Second Run amounts to "talking the talk" of an anti-corporate ethos.

ianungstad

#20 Post by ianungstad » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:getting non-dvd stuff to canada looks to be on a case by case basis...

but holy crap...
Canadian Shipping

Canada Standard Shipping: Flat rate of $10.95, plus $1 per additional item.
Ships via FORM delivery (USPS FIrst Class Mail International)
Orders on in-stock items usually take 2-3 weeks.
Tracking is not available.
Duties, fees, and taxes by Canadian Customs could cost up to $20 per package.
I'll be getting my orders sent to Georgia and my grandparents can bring them to me in October. that shipping cost is ridiculous.
That's ridiculous. The quoted shipping costs are way higher than any online retailer. As someone who has traded many DVDs to the United States, the reality is that actual shipping costs is about 1/3 to 1/4 of what Criterion is asking. I would prefer due to personal ethics to buy directly from Criterion, but not under those conditions.

kaujot

#21 Post by kaujot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Hope they get more posters. I'm going to need them.

miless

#22 Post by miless » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 am

huh, I just got that Mala Noche poster for free because I work at a theater that will be showing... too bad I gave it to a friend (who's a big fan of Van Sant's)

Morbii

#23 Post by Morbii » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:32 am

ianungstad wrote:That's ridiculous. The quoted shipping costs are way higher than any online retailer. As someone who has traded many DVDs to the United States, the reality is that actual shipping costs is about 1/3 to 1/4 of what Criterion is asking. I would prefer due to personal ethics to buy directly from Criterion, but not under those conditions.
Not completely - I bought a CD from amazon.ca last week and it cost about $9 S&H (CDN, which is very close to USD now). I was really surprised, but I don't think it's uncommon for shipping rates like that from/to Canada (for some inexplicable reason). I order stuff from amazon.co.uk and I don't think the shipping is that much AND it comes in like 4 days (I think it took amazon.ca longer than it generally takes amazon.co.uk to deliver to me, and I'm on west coast).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:partially-encrypted checkout page #-o
They finally fixed this btw

Cinesimilitude

#25 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:45 pm

It's interesting that there is a promotion code box in the checkout. It might only be used to redeem the 50$ coupons for spending 500, but they may give us further discounts through newsletters and competitions and such.