More Kiarostami?

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
AquaNarc

Re: More Kiarostami?

#76 Post by AquaNarc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:07 pm

thanks for the info Chaney, interesting stuff.

ryannichols7

#77 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Chaney_TUX wrote:
ryannichols7 wrote:i'll possibly ask him that and if Criterion may be releasing more of his work when I'm in New York next weekend when he's there screening one of the ten best movies ever made
Did you go? there's been a controversy here about what he said. some reporters say that he said he's willing to do a filming in Israel. can you confirm that? what did he exactly say?

in Iran, if somebody says something about Israel (let alone the fact that a director says he wants to do a filming there...) it's a big crime. they don't even use the word Israel, they call it "Zionist Regime". it's not like that with USA or UK. they can freely do filming (set/location) in any country they want. they even make Iranian/American productions from time to time. but talking about Israel, that's just another story...
he's filming in Iran next. i asked him personally afterwards. no idea of anything dealing with Israel. he told me the Iran set movie is probably not going to be a "typical" film, whatever that means. he did also say the movie after that (!!) would be set in Italy again, though not in Tuscany.

he signed both of my copies of Certified Copy and Close-Up and told me he thought it was funny because he thinks they're very similar movies. Shirin is the movie he's most proud of making, since he claims the movie made itself. before that movie was made, Close-Up was his answer.

there's other stuff too.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#78 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Mohsen Makhmalbaf shot his latest film in Israel, so that may be why the topic came up. But then Makhmalbaf has already pretty clearly burned his bridges with the regime.

Chaney_TUX

#79 Post by Chaney_TUX » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 pm

AquaNarc wrote:thanks for the info Chaney, interesting stuff.
thank you :wink:
he's filming in Iran next. i asked him personally afterwards. no idea of anything dealing with Israel. he told me the Iran set movie is probably not going to be a "typical" film, whatever that means. he did also say the movie after that (!!) would be set in Italy again, though not in Tuscany.

he signed both of my copies of Certified Copy and Close-Up and told me he thought it was funny because he thinks they're very similar movies. Shirin is the movie he's most proud of making, since he claims the movie made itself. before that movie was made, Close-Up was his answer.

there's other stuff too.
thanks for the informations. according to this Iranian website:

http://www.caffecinema.com/foreign-cine ... q-q--.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he talked about Israel with "Playlist" in 4th or 8th of October in New York, after or before the screening of "Like Someone in Love".
things are not so okay right now in Iran. with all the currency value problems and censors, I really don't think he could actually make his next film in Iran. maybe he was talking about his old project "Father and Son" with Hamed Behdad.
Yes, he talks about "Shirin" every chance he gets! and he always says that he really likes that film and have watched it more than 50 times. it's funny because "Shirin" is probably the least praised film of Kiarostami here in Iran, and believe me it's not because of its unusual technic.
Mohsen Makhmalbaf (who evidently has no intention of going back to Iran anytime soon) shot his latest film (The Gardener) in Israel, so that may be why the topic came up.
thanks. I didn't know that.
funny thing about Makhmalbaf is that during the first decade after the 79 revolution, he was the most trusted person in the whole system. he was really close to all the leaders of Iran and he made many films about "Holy Defense", and many religious stuffs and he was a complete right-winger and nobody could have guessed he'll become a different person. there's a very-famous (possibly the most famous) comedy in Iran called "The Tenants" (1986) by Dariush Mehrjui, and it has many political layers. anyway back in the 80s Makhmalbaf was so faithful to the Islamic regime that he actually said in a newspaper that he'll attach a bomb to himself and explode Mehrjuie and anyone who see his film. you can't believe what type of films he was making during the 80s and 90s. he wasn't always making "Gabbeh", "The Silence", "Scream of Ants" and stuffs like that. in the late 80s, in a famous interview he did say awful things about other famous Iranian directors like Mehrjuie or Masoud Kimiai, and he also mentioned Kiarostami on that interview:

"... at least there's somebody who's looking for a friend's house in this god-forsaken time"

and it was like the only positive thing that he said on that interview.

denti alligator

#80 Post by denti alligator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 am

So what's the status of the future Criterion releases of Kiarostami? I desperately want to show my son the Koker trilogy.

FrauBlucher

#81 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:09 am

The Koker Trilogy will be out this year as they hinted it during their New Years Day drawing. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s released in time for the July B&N sale. Plus, it was confirmed by Kiarostami’s son that Criterion/Janus will be doing much work on his catalogue.

denti alligator

#82 Post by denti alligator » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks. I just saw that I started this thread (!) just about 12 years ago. Amazing.

Would be great to get everything by AK, including the screenplays not directed by him.