Kino Lorber: Joaquim Pedro De Andrade: the Complete Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
BrunoForestier

Kino Lorber: Joaquim Pedro De Andrade: the Complete Films

#1 Post by BrunoForestier » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:03 pm

At a lecture last Friday evening on Cinema Nova, Udigrudi and Tropicalia, NYU Professor Robert Stam mentioned that Criterion will be releasing Macunaíma, the 1969 Cinema Novo classic by Joaquim Pedro de Andrade. He showed clips from a beautifully restored DVD copy of the film that he said was given to him by the family of the filmmaker.

Stam is a reliable source as he has provided commentaries for the Criterion edition of Contempt and an interview for Jules and Jim. He mentioned that every time he's worked with Criterion he's pressured them to release Macunaíma, and it looks as if they've come around.

Stam has also written two of the authoritative books on Brazilian cinema, Brazilian Cinema (w/ Randal Johnson) and Tropical Multiculturalism.

That said, I can't believe this will be the first Brazilian film in the collection.

zedz

#2 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:10 pm

Fantastic news. Cinema Novo is an extremely rich and underappreciated movement, and a Criterion release will help give those films some long-overdue profile. Here's hoping they're also looking into some Rocha.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:10 pm

FUCKING GREAT NEWS! I can't believe Criterion is releasing this! Talk about a dream come true!

Brazilian Cinema Novo truly deserves better recognition. This release will be tremendous! Now I can only hope for an eventual Criterion DVD of Anselmo Duarte's The Given Word.

Oh, and did somebody mention GLAUBER FUCKING ROCHA?

edit: zedz beat me to a few seconds!

BrunoForestier

#4 Post by BrunoForestier » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:15 pm

The Rocha films are currently being released one by one in excellent editions by Rocha's family in Brazil. The films have undergone meticulous restorations.

"Black God, White Devil" was released last year, "Land In Anguish" this year (including the short "Maranhão 66)", "Antonio Das Mortes" is scheduled for next year.

From what I heard, they own the rights and are holding off on licensing them in hopes of increasing sales of their editions. You can order them from Amazon. I would encourage everyone to do so in hopes that they'll eventually get to "The Lion Has Seven Heads."

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:31 pm

BrunoForestier wrote:The Rocha films are currently being released one by one in excellent editions by Rocha's family in Brazil. The films have undergone meticulous restorations.

"Black God, White Devil" was released last year, "Land In Anguish" this year (including the short "Maranhão 66)", "Antonio Das Mortes" is scheduled for next year.
I did know about that (I own the brazilian edition of Black God, White Devil and plan on buying Land in Anguish sometime in the near future) but I did not know about Antonio das Mortes -- that is some great news!

As for international releases, France recently had a retrospective of Rocha's films in July of this year so I expect that its current distibutor there, Films Sans Frontieres, will eventually come around to releasing them on DVD too. Link to official site.

And I can confirm that Cameo in Spain will be releasing Rocha's better know films starting next year. Link to news.

So I guess it's only a matter of time before they begin surfacing on R1. Hopefully Criterion is already way ahead of us all on that one.

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 pm

BrunoForestier wrote:The Rocha films are currently being released one by one in excellent editions by Rocha's family in Brazil. The films have undergone meticulous restorations.

From what I heard, they own the rights and are holding off on licensing them in hopes of increasing sales of their editions. You can order them from Amazon. I would encourage everyone to do so in hopes that they'll eventually get to "The Lion Has Seven Heads."
The Black God, White Devil disc is beautiful, but no subs on the copious extras. Der leone have sept cabecas (sorry, just wanted to type that!) is reportedly a wonderful film, but I've never had the chance to see it.

As far as I know, New Yorker's decent disc of dos Santos' Vidas Secas is the only readily available R1 Cinema Novo title. It's a good place to start.

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:07 pm

Ok, already did some quick searching and found that The Given Word is already out on DVD in Brazil. No english subs but that is ok with me. What bugs me is that absolutely no extras were compiled for this Cannes Palm d'Or winner. :roll:

One other surprise is that Macunaima is getting a DVD release in Brazil this month! And with english subs! How's that? :D

By the way, this link here for the Land in Anguish DVD says that the extras are also subtitled in english, which is fantastic for all of you out there who don't speak the language of Camões.
Last edited by Lino on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinephrenic

#8 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 pm

I'm happy about Macunaima. I have not seen this, but read a lot of great things about the Brazilian Nova movement. I'm glad Criterion is looking into negleged latin cinema.
Last edited by Cinephrenic on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tryavna

#9 Post by tryavna » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Lino wrote:By the way, this link here for the Land in Anguish DVD says that the extras are also subtitled in english, which is fantastic for all of you out there who don't speak the language of Camões.
Lino (or anyone), is that the same 2-disc set you can buy from Amazon here? The covers look a little different, so it would be nice if someone could verify. I'd like to take the plunge with Rocha, but since I know very little about the Nova movement, some English-subbed extras that help contextualize the film would be most welcome.

Lino

#10 Post by Lino » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:11 am

Yes, that's the one though that Amazon price is prohibitive! I'm sure you'll find better prices elsewhere. Oh, and please don't say "Nova" movement -- it's Cinema Novo.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Macunaíma. I actually have the book this film was based on. It was written by Mário de Andrade and it employs a very inovative kind of writing, mixing all sorts of languages and inventing new words while doing that. The closest thing in english literature you can find is Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. Fortunately, they both included a glossary at the end of their books! :wink:

tryavna

#11 Post by tryavna » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Lino wrote:Oh, and please don't say "Nova" movement -- it's Cinema Novo.
#-o That's what I get for rushing to make an 8:00 movie on TV.

Many thanks for the info, Lino. Will try to locate a cheaper price so as to wallow in "Cinema Novo." :wink:

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:17 pm

BrunoForestier wrote:Stam is a reliable source as he has provided commentaries for the Criterion edition of Contempt and an interview for Jules and Jim. He mentioned that every time he's worked with Criterion he's pressured them to release Macunaíma, and it looks as if they've come around.

Stam has also written two of the authoritative books on Brazilian cinema, Brazilian Cinema (w/ Randal Johnson)
I have to thank you for mentioning his book because I had it on my to-buy list for ages and I finally got it. It's a fantastic book and probably the most authorative and indispensable piece of writing on Brazil's Cinema Novo movement and ideologies. In fact, it's so rich in information that I'm taking notes as I'm reading it.

In short, it sort of justifies my personal feeling that Cinema Novo was a much more exciting cinematic experiment than the Nouvelle Vague and Free Cinema (or any other 60's film movement, for that matter) ever were. Brazil has really got some amazing films in its filmography just waiting to be rediscovered by the DVD generation.

zedz

#13 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Lino wrote:In short, it sort of justifies my personal feeling that Cinema Novo was a much more exciting cinematic experiment than the Nouvelle Vague and Free Cinema (or any other 60's film movement, for that matter) ever were.
Hey, I think I almost agree with you (but the Japanese New Wave trumps them all). Hopefully we're at the start of a period when all of these great, overlooked movements come out of the digital closet and can be properly reassessed.

Lino

#14 Post by Lino » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Meanwhile, Carlotta Films in France has released last year The Complete Works of Joaquim Pedro de Andrade and in the review here you can see that ALL the movies come with English subs on them! So, if you're tired of waiting for an eventual Criterion edition of Macunaíma, why not spring for the whole set and save some substantial bucks?

Consider yourself warned.

Awesome Welles

#15 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 pm

zedz wrote:Hey, I think I almost agree with you (but the Japanese New Wave trumps them all). Hopefully we're at the start of a period when all of these great, overlooked movements come out of the digital closet and can be properly reassessed.
Assessment is what is needed. I'd love to see more films from all these movements and Japanese and Latin are on the top of my list. Let's hope that the 'start' of the digital closet's doors opening open a little faster.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 pm

FSimeoni wrote:Let's hope that the 'start' of the digital closet's doors opening open a little faster.

It's depressing to see that that comment was posted the year before last.

SpiderBaby

Re: Macunaíma (1969)

#17 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:17 pm

BrunoForestier wrote:At a lecture last Friday evening on Cinema Nova, Udigrudi and Tropicalia, NYU Professor Robert Stam mentioned that Criterion will be releasing Macunaíma, the 1969 Cinema Novo classic by Joaquim Pedro de Andrade. He showed clips from a beautifully restored DVD copy of the film that he said was given to him by the family of the filmmaker.
I wonder if this is him (http://cinema.tisch.nyu.edu/object/StamR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and if contacted (the e-mail listed) he can tell us what happened to this (if he is still in touch with Criterion).
zedz wrote: It's depressing to see that that comment was posted the year before last.
Add 4 more years to that.

neal

#18 Post by neal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm

SpiderBaby wrote: I wonder if this is him (http://cinema.tisch.nyu.edu/object/StamR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and if contacted (the e-mail listed) he can tell us what happened to this (if he is still in touch with Criterion).
Yes, that's him. He's written a fair amount on Brazilian Cinema.

SpiderBaby

#19 Post by SpiderBaby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks. I'm just curious if that e-mail could be used for a question like this, as it seems to be his school e-mail. Would be kind of weird.

Oxnard Montalvo

#20 Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm

hey all, I'm sorry to bump this without any news but I was curious what the runtime on Macunaima is. many websites like imdb say it is 110 minutes but the Carlotta DVD is 98 minutes. of course it is always possible that imdb isn't exactly 100% right especially when it comes to these hard-to-find movies. thanks in advance!

knives

#21 Post by knives » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Sounds like PAL speedup.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 pm

PAL speedup would reduce a 110-minute film to 105 mins. So that's seven minutes not accounted for (or twelve, if it's not a PAL speedup issue).

Gregory

#23 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 pm

In texts/filmographies I tend to trust, the runtime is given at between 105 and 109 min. If that includes things like distributor logos, notices etc. then it could account for 99 min. with PAL speedup. I believe the film originally had some cuts from government censors but I'm not aware of different "versions" of the film circulating currently.

vertovfan

#24 Post by vertovfan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 pm

I have an NTSC dvd from Brazil that runs 1:44:11. The first minute of that is an introduction by Andrade, followed by about 40 seconds of restoration and distributor logos, which leaves about 102-103 minutes for the feature itself.

MichaelB

Macunaíma (1969)

#25 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 am

Now that would nearly adjust to 98 mins after PAL speedup.