Criterion Random Speculation Vol.3

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
jbeall

#1001 Post by jbeall » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Danny Burk wrote:
zedz wrote:Since my 2007 prediction came true almost immediately (more silent films than any previous year - wow, two!), I'll recklessly make the same prediction for 2008.
Let's hope so. Obviously there are endless worthy titles, but the ones that come to mind first, now that Criterion has their foot in Paramount's door, are the von Sternbergs, WEDDING MARCH, and WINGS.
Those would be great, and on the heels of the Raymond Bernard Eclipse set, I want to see Le Miracle des Loups. Since there was a restoration done a few years back, maybe it could get bumped up to the Criterion line.

HerrSchreck

#1002 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Yowza. Paramount don't own their pre-40's material. That would be the domain of Uni.

Derek Estes

#1003 Post by Derek Estes » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Yowza. Paramount don't own their pre-40's material. That would be the domain of Uni.
Actually, they still own their silent catalog. MCA purchased all of Paramount's sound era library, with exceptions (Morgan's Creek), for television in the late 40's or early 50's.

HerrSchreck

#1004 Post by HerrSchreck » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up.. that little detail which escaped me actually gives me more hope for their release on disc. Paramount has really been getting their act together lately w their treatment of vintage catalog. Siilents another story of course.

Still crying over glorious LAST WARNING by Leni though, sitting there in Uni's oblivious mitts. Hopefully Kino can wrench it out (Bret Wood mentioned his desire to get it out.)

Andreas

#1005 Post by Andreas » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 pm

I just want more Italian Cinema...has there even been an Italian release this year? (Bicycle Thieves does not count)

tavernier

#1006 Post by tavernier » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:10 am

Andreas wrote:I just want more Italian Cinema...has there even been an Italian release this year? (Bicycle Thieves does not count)
Why not?

Cinephrenic

#1007 Post by Cinephrenic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:32 am

Criterion throw all this in a box set and call it something like "Italian Cinema" and I'm set for 2008:

Anything by Rossellini
Bitter Rice (Santis)
La Grande bouffe (Ferreri)
Lucky Luciano (Rosi)
The Mattei Affair (Rosi)
The Moment of Truth (Rosi)
Illustrious Corpses (Rosi)
Miracle in Milan (De Sica)
Sandra (Visconti)
Bellissima (Visconti)
Conversation Piece (Visconti)
Senso (Visconti)
Shoeshine (De Sica)
Casanova (Fellini)
Gold of Naples (De Sica)
La Notte (Antonioni)
Rome ore 11 (Santis)
Red Desert (Antonioni)
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Petri)
Dillinger Is Dead (Ferreri)
We All Loved Each Other So Much (Scola)

...just in case you guys ran out of any Italian films to release in R1.

Nuno

#1008 Post by Nuno » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 am

I am desesperately waiting for "La Notte"... :cry:

lazier than a toad

#1009 Post by lazier than a toad » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:47 am

La Notte is coming from MoC early 2008 according to the London Film Festival guide, so something else would be nice from Criterion.

Awesome Welles

#1010 Post by Awesome Welles » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:59 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Criterion throw all this in a box set and call it something like "Italian Cinema" and I'm set for 2008:

+
The Working Class Goes To Heaven (Petri)
Todo Modo (Petri)
Slap the Monster on the First Page (Bellocchio)
For Love and Gold (Monicelli)
The Great War (Monicelli)
Zabriskie Point (Antonioni)
Antonioni early shorts and documentaries

thethirdman

#1011 Post by thethirdman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Image's Ossessione is now out of print.

Cronenfly

#1012 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:34 pm

Guess we're waiting until Tuesday for the January titles, then...sigh...

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1013 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Guess we're waiting until Tuesday for the January titles, then...sigh...
Aren't updates usually on the third Friday of each month?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1014 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:10 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Cronenfly wrote:Guess we're waiting until Tuesday for the January titles, then...sigh...
no, they fall close to the 15th, they just usually get them up Friday afternoons.

Cronenfly

#1015 Post by Cronenfly » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:13 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
It seems to me that the days of the week for announcements jump around. Friday is the reliable date, but I'm pretty sure that they come out other days of the week too sometimes (especially Mondays/Tuesdays) as long as the 15th has come to pass.
EDIT- What domino said, more or less.

LightBulbFilm

#1016 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:17 am

I thought Killer of Sheep was an in for Criterion...

What's this?

Cinephrenic

#1017 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:19 am

This was announced a while back (at least a few months). It is also a 2-disc so no worries...

Jeff

#1018 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:20 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:I thought Killer of Sheep was an in for Criterion...

What's this?
It's been in Milestone's control for nearly three years. They handled the theatrical release and have had the DVD in the works for some time. Here is our thread on it.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1019 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:40 pm

With Ice Storm on the way, is it possible to wish for more Fox?

I would love to see Viva Zapata!, King of Comedy, or any of the Preminger films without a release get a Criterion. I would also say Miller's Crossing, but the Coen's have no interest in special features, and the transfer is fine as is.

Oh, and back to Paramount, they own Red Line 7000, a film I haven't seen, but I would love for Criterion to get there hands on some Hawks. They also produced Ralph Bakshi's great Coonskin , maybe that's an other one to get their hands on.

dadaistnun

#1020 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 pm

How about The Thin Red Line? Rosy-Fingered Dawn, since it was made in 2002, would be a better fit here than with Days of Heaven. Malick has personally worked with Criterion now, he's not above re-cutting his own work (The New World), and Criterion have premiered new "director's cuts" in the past (Picnic at Hanging Rock).

Maybe someone who know the production history of the film better than I can answer this, but was there truly ever a longer cut of this film? I don't mean a typically long workprint, but a real alternate version. I do know that somewhere along the way the focus came to settle on Jim Caviezel and that Adrian Brody's part was drastically cut down, but then this is sort of similar to what happened with Days. Frankly, I'm happy with the film as it is.

Luke M

#1021 Post by Luke M » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 pm

dadaistnun wrote:How about The Thin Red Line?

... was there truly ever a longer cut of this film? I don't mean a typically long workprint, but a real alternate version. I do know that somewhere along the way the focus came to settle on Jim Caviezel and that Adrian Brody's part was drastically cut down
I'd love to see Criterion release a different cut of The Thin Red Line. I had heard originally that Adrien Brody's character was to be the focus of the movie.

glaswegian tome

#1022 Post by glaswegian tome » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 pm

I understood that Adrien Brody did have a much bigger part, close to the size of Elias Koteas' role, but I've never heard anywhere that he was the focus of the movie.

But yeah, with this Fox thing, my first hope was for The Thin Red Line.

Jeff

#1023 Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 pm

glaswegian tome wrote:I understood that Adrien Brody did have a much bigger part, close to the size of Elias Koteas' role, but I've never heard anywhere that he was the focus of the movie.

But yeah, with this Fox thing, my first hope was for The Thin Red Line.
He was supposed to be the lead.
[i]The Independent[/i] wrote:It wasn't until Terrence Malick chose him to star in his lyrical World War Two epic, The Thin Red Line, that Hollywood found Brody.

"The pressure on that film was that I had to carry the movie with a cast of stars that I truly admired," he recalls. "Nick Nolte and Sean Penn in particular. You hear horror stories about Sean Penn, that he can be a real bastard if he doesn't admire your work." Having endured boot-camp and a protracted six-month shoot in the Australian outback, wearing "a filthy costume which they wouldn't wash," Brody returned to the US to discover his role as Corporal Fife had been drastically trimmed. Understandably, he remains bitter.

"I was so focused and professional, I gave everything to it, and then to not receive everything ... in terms of witnessing my own work. It was extremely unpleasant because I'd already begun the press for a film that I wasn't really in. Terry obviously changed the entire concept of the film. I had never experienced anything like that." Brody had initially been touted as the lead, based on the size of the role in the James Jones source novel - he learnt a valuable, if painful, Hollywood lesson. "You know the expression 'Don't believe the hype'? Well, you shouldn't."

LightBulbFilm

#1024 Post by LightBulbFilm » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:31 pm

About She's Gotta Have It, I heard MGM is sitting on the rights right now. Could the new deal with MGM open a door for this great film getting a release on DVD?

Nevermind... Just found this.

glaswegian tome

#1025 Post by glaswegian tome » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:09 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:She's Gotta Have It
Awesome if that's really being released. I've been waiting a long time to see it.